l?l

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 12:15:38 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
My how people waste money.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 12:20:52 PM
At 8/17/2011 12:15:38 PM, 000ike wrote:

I thought it was actually pretty cheap considering... I imagine it's not all that big.
Rob
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 12:24:46 PM

How is that a waste? Most rich people just spend money on themselves buying useless things like 10 overly expensive cars and oversized houses.

At least these guys are being generous with their money in an effort to create islands where people can live in a free society unlike this global fascist dictatorship we currently live in.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 12:27:47 PM
At 8/17/2011 12:20:52 PM, Lasagna wrote:

I thought it was actually pretty cheap considering... I imagine it's not all that big.

Sure, till you consider cost of upkeep for an entire damn nation.

Still, get enough rich people pumping money into it, along with a few other tax tricks, and you could keep it going for awhile. Reminds me a bit of a book where blacks in New Orleans create their own country and fund it by becoming stowaway for Swiss bank-type hidden money.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 12:35:19 PM
This would appear to be the ultimate test for libertarianism/anarchist capitalism. Unfortunately its small size and isolation might make it unduly difficult for them.
Rob
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 12:49:37 PM
At 8/17/2011 12:35:19 PM, Lasagna wrote:
This would appear to be the ultimate test for libertarianism/anarchist capitalism. Unfortunately its small size and isolation might make it unduly difficult for them.

If it has a seaport or two, isolation wouldn't be an economic issue. Hopefully it gets Internet as well. The problem might be the prohibitive cost. He might need a bit more than a million or two to make this large enough to succeed.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
TheAtheistAllegiance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 12:53:45 PM
It will probably turn out like Dubai or something. Anywhere where rich people cluster together in a small area, it's probably not gonna be a bad place (if this project pulls through).
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 12:55:35 PM
At 8/17/2011 12:24:46 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

How is that a waste? Most rich people just spend money on themselves buying useless things like 10 overly expensive cars and oversized houses.

$1.4 million on a uselessly small island versus $1.4 million on a mansion. They seem equally frivolous and wasteful to me.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 12:55:51 PM
When someone makes a move
Of which we don't approve
Who is it that always intervenes?
UN and OAS
They have their place I guess
But first, send the Marines!

Good luck, but that island doesn't look defensible. I wouldn't bet on it.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 12:58:05 PM
At 8/17/2011 12:49:37 PM, wjmelements wrote:
At 8/17/2011 12:35:19 PM, Lasagna wrote:

If it has a seaport or two, isolation wouldn't be an economic issue. Hopefully it gets Internet as well. The problem might be the prohibitive cost. He might need a bit more than a million or two to make this large enough to succeed.

It seems awfully cheap doesn't it. I've seen boats go for upwards of a hundred million dollars...
Rob
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 12:59:54 PM
At 8/17/2011 12:55:51 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
When someone makes a move
Of which we don't approve
Who is it that always intervenes?
UN and OAS
They have their place I guess
But first, send the Marines!

Good luck, but that island doesn't look defensible. I wouldn't bet on it.

In an era of rejuvinated piracy, that's a good point, although I doubt it will be in the general viscinity of any of that drama. If somebody wants to attack this thing, they are gonna have to go quite a ways.
Rob
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 1:09:30 PM
At 8/17/2011 12:55:35 PM, 000ike wrote:

$1.4 million on a uselessly small island versus $1.4 million on a mansion. They seem equally frivolous and wasteful to me.

How is that wasteful?

Why do I keep on hearing this bizarre theory that spending money destroys it?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 1:12:45 PM
At 8/17/2011 1:09:30 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

How is that wasteful?

wasteful relative to the people spending the money, they could do something much more productive with it. Who ever said spending money destroys it?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 1:14:42 PM
At 8/17/2011 1:12:45 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/17/2011 1:09:30 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

How is that wasteful?

wasteful relative to the people spending the money, they could do something much more productive with it. Who ever said spending money destroys it?

Sorry it never occurred to me to worry about a millionaire spending his money in an inefficient way, I assumed the complaint would that it was wasteful for the economy.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 1:16:44 PM
Possibly the most successful micronation...

http://en.wikipedia.org...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 1:39:56 PM
At 8/17/2011 1:16:44 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Seaworld is so much better than Sealand.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 2:24:11 PM

Wow. That may be the supidest thing I've ever seen. It's a piece of sea garbage with a population of 3 people and is smaller than a rich persons house. And this is internationally recognized as a nation? And has it's own currency and economy? That's absurdity. Fail Sealand is fail.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 3:01:46 PM
At 8/17/2011 2:24:11 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Wow. That may be the supidest thing I've ever seen. It's a piece of sea garbage with a population of 3 people and is smaller than a rich persons house. And this is internationally recognized as a nation? And has it's own currency and economy? That's absurdity. Fail Sealand is fail.

It's not really recognized as a nation. Britian simply recognizes that it isn't under British control, and Germany only sent a diplomat because they took a person hostage (claimed that he was being held for treason crimes... with a $35,000 fine, that's totally what treason costs, lol).

I think the funny part is that they had a fire and needed England's help (putting it out, sending people to a hospital), I would have totally said "hey, you're an independent "nation," take care of yourself" and watched it burn into the sea.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 4:25:23 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to purchase a few hundred smart high yield missiles and level out and conquer Somalia and then turn that into a the Libertarian Wet-Dream? Plus it also comes with labor from the people you have just subjugated and since they were already used to living under the Libertarian Wet-Dream before they will already be used to it!
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 4:27:40 PM
At 8/17/2011 4:25:23 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
Wouldn't it be easier to purchase a few hundred smart high yield missiles and level out and conquer Somalia and then turn that into a the Libertarian Wet-Dream? Plus it also comes with labor from the people you have just subjugated and since they were already used to living under the Libertarian Wet-Dream before they will already be used to it!

That depends if one views that the ends justify the means.

If you think it is okay to kill 100 people to save 1,000, then forcefully taking over an area so that you can make it a place "free of force" is okay.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 5:11:20 PM
At 8/17/2011 4:27:40 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/17/2011 4:25:23 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

That depends if one views that the ends justify the means.

If you think it is okay to kill 100 people to save 1,000, then forcefully taking over an area so that you can make it a place "free of force" is okay.

I see your point.
Minister Of Trolling
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 6:00:34 PM
At 8/17/2011 12:08:12 PM, Lasagna wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com...

I wanna live there. Actually wasn't that the point of Sealand?
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 6:44:22 PM
At 8/17/2011 6:00:34 PM, BennyW wrote:
At 8/17/2011 12:08:12 PM, Lasagna wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com...

I wanna live there. Actually wasn't that the point of Sealand?

No, it was the purpose of the Republic of Minerva: http://en.wikipedia.org...
Minister Of Trolling
:
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 8:34:24 PM
At 8/17/2011 3:01:46 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

It's not really recognized as a nation. Britian simply recognizes that it isn't under British control, and Germany only sent a diplomat because they took a person hostage (claimed that he was being held for treason crimes... with a $35,000 fine, that's totally what treason costs, lol).

If only Germany was back to its old days and just bombed its @ss. Total population annihilation.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 8:53:41 PM
At 8/17/2011 8:34:24 PM, darkkermit wrote:

If only Germany was back to its old days and just bombed its @ss. Total population annihilation.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 3:23:50 AM

Hells bells you are a retard.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 3:24:50 AM

I think the funny part is that they had a fire and needed England's help (putting it out, sending people to a hospital), I would have totally said "hey, you're an independent "nation," take care of yourself" and watched it burn into the sea.

It's ruler lives not far from me.