Total Posts:34|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

l?l

000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 12:15:38 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
My how people waste money.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Lasagna
Posts: 2,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 12:20:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/17/2011 12:15:38 PM, 000ike wrote:
My how people waste money.

I thought it was actually pretty cheap considering... I imagine it's not all that big.
Rob
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 12:24:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/17/2011 12:15:38 PM, 000ike wrote:
My how people waste money.

How is that a waste? Most rich people just spend money on themselves buying useless things like 10 overly expensive cars and oversized houses.

At least these guys are being generous with their money in an effort to create islands where people can live in a free society unlike this global fascist dictatorship we currently live in.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 12:27:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/17/2011 12:20:52 PM, Lasagna wrote:
At 8/17/2011 12:15:38 PM, 000ike wrote:
My how people waste money.

I thought it was actually pretty cheap considering... I imagine it's not all that big.

Sure, till you consider cost of upkeep for an entire damn nation.

Still, get enough rich people pumping money into it, along with a few other tax tricks, and you could keep it going for awhile. Reminds me a bit of a book where blacks in New Orleans create their own country and fund it by becoming stowaway for Swiss bank-type hidden money.
Lasagna
Posts: 2,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 12:35:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
This would appear to be the ultimate test for libertarianism/anarchist capitalism. Unfortunately its small size and isolation might make it unduly difficult for them.
Rob
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 12:49:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/17/2011 12:35:19 PM, Lasagna wrote:
This would appear to be the ultimate test for libertarianism/anarchist capitalism. Unfortunately its small size and isolation might make it unduly difficult for them.

If it has a seaport or two, isolation wouldn't be an economic issue. Hopefully it gets Internet as well. The problem might be the prohibitive cost. He might need a bit more than a million or two to make this large enough to succeed.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
TheAtheistAllegiance
Posts: 1,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 12:53:45 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
It will probably turn out like Dubai or something. Anywhere where rich people cluster together in a small area, it's probably not gonna be a bad place (if this project pulls through).
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 12:55:35 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/17/2011 12:24:46 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 8/17/2011 12:15:38 PM, 000ike wrote:
My how people waste money.

How is that a waste? Most rich people just spend money on themselves buying useless things like 10 overly expensive cars and oversized houses.

$1.4 million on a uselessly small island versus $1.4 million on a mansion. They seem equally frivolous and wasteful to me.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 12:55:51 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
When someone makes a move
Of which we don't approve
Who is it that always intervenes?
UN and OAS
They have their place I guess
But first, send the Marines!


Good luck, but that island doesn't look defensible. I wouldn't bet on it.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Lasagna
Posts: 2,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 12:58:05 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/17/2011 12:49:37 PM, wjmelements wrote:
At 8/17/2011 12:35:19 PM, Lasagna wrote:
This would appear to be the ultimate test for libertarianism/anarchist capitalism. Unfortunately its small size and isolation might make it unduly difficult for them.

If it has a seaport or two, isolation wouldn't be an economic issue. Hopefully it gets Internet as well. The problem might be the prohibitive cost. He might need a bit more than a million or two to make this large enough to succeed.

It seems awfully cheap doesn't it. I've seen boats go for upwards of a hundred million dollars...
Rob
Lasagna
Posts: 2,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 12:59:54 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/17/2011 12:55:51 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
When someone makes a move
Of which we don't approve
Who is it that always intervenes?
UN and OAS
They have their place I guess
But first, send the Marines!


Good luck, but that island doesn't look defensible. I wouldn't bet on it.

In an era of rejuvinated piracy, that's a good point, although I doubt it will be in the general viscinity of any of that drama. If somebody wants to attack this thing, they are gonna have to go quite a ways.
Rob
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 1:09:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/17/2011 12:55:35 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/17/2011 12:24:46 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 8/17/2011 12:15:38 PM, 000ike wrote:
My how people waste money.

How is that a waste? Most rich people just spend money on themselves buying useless things like 10 overly expensive cars and oversized houses.

$1.4 million on a uselessly small island versus $1.4 million on a mansion. They seem equally frivolous and wasteful to me.

How is that wasteful?

Why do I keep on hearing this bizarre theory that spending money destroys it?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 1:12:45 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/17/2011 1:09:30 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 8/17/2011 12:55:35 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/17/2011 12:24:46 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 8/17/2011 12:15:38 PM, 000ike wrote:
My how people waste money.

How is that a waste? Most rich people just spend money on themselves buying useless things like 10 overly expensive cars and oversized houses.

$1.4 million on a uselessly small island versus $1.4 million on a mansion. They seem equally frivolous and wasteful to me.

How is that wasteful?

Why do I keep on hearing this bizarre theory that spending money destroys it?

wasteful relative to the people spending the money, they could do something much more productive with it. Who ever said spending money destroys it?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 1:14:42 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/17/2011 1:12:45 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/17/2011 1:09:30 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 8/17/2011 12:55:35 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/17/2011 12:24:46 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 8/17/2011 12:15:38 PM, 000ike wrote:
My how people waste money.

How is that a waste? Most rich people just spend money on themselves buying useless things like 10 overly expensive cars and oversized houses.

$1.4 million on a uselessly small island versus $1.4 million on a mansion. They seem equally frivolous and wasteful to me.

How is that wasteful?

Why do I keep on hearing this bizarre theory that spending money destroys it?

wasteful relative to the people spending the money, they could do something much more productive with it. Who ever said spending money destroys it?

Sorry it never occurred to me to worry about a millionaire spending his money in an inefficient way, I assumed the complaint would that it was wasteful for the economy.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 1:16:44 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Possibly the most successful micronation...

http://en.wikipedia.org...
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 1:39:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/17/2011 1:16:44 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Possibly the most successful micronation...

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Seaworld is so much better than Sealand.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 2:24:11 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/17/2011 1:16:44 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Possibly the most successful micronation...

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Wow. That may be the supidest thing I've ever seen. It's a piece of sea garbage with a population of 3 people and is smaller than a rich persons house. And this is internationally recognized as a nation? And has it's own currency and economy? That's absurdity. Fail Sealand is fail.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 3:01:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/17/2011 2:24:11 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 8/17/2011 1:16:44 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Possibly the most successful micronation...

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Wow. That may be the supidest thing I've ever seen. It's a piece of sea garbage with a population of 3 people and is smaller than a rich persons house. And this is internationally recognized as a nation? And has it's own currency and economy? That's absurdity. Fail Sealand is fail.

It's not really recognized as a nation. Britian simply recognizes that it isn't under British control, and Germany only sent a diplomat because they took a person hostage (claimed that he was being held for treason crimes... with a $35,000 fine, that's totally what treason costs, lol).

I think the funny part is that they had a fire and needed England's help (putting it out, sending people to a hospital), I would have totally said "hey, you're an independent "nation," take care of yourself" and watched it burn into the sea.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
SuperRobotWars
Posts: 3,906
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 4:25:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Wouldn't it be easier to purchase a few hundred smart high yield missiles and level out and conquer Somalia and then turn that into a the Libertarian Wet-Dream? Plus it also comes with labor from the people you have just subjugated and since they were already used to living under the Libertarian Wet-Dream before they will already be used to it!
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 4:27:40 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/17/2011 4:25:23 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
Wouldn't it be easier to purchase a few hundred smart high yield missiles and level out and conquer Somalia and then turn that into a the Libertarian Wet-Dream? Plus it also comes with labor from the people you have just subjugated and since they were already used to living under the Libertarian Wet-Dream before they will already be used to it!

That depends if one views that the ends justify the means.

If you think it is okay to kill 100 people to save 1,000, then forcefully taking over an area so that you can make it a place "free of force" is okay.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
SuperRobotWars
Posts: 3,906
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 5:11:20 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/17/2011 4:27:40 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/17/2011 4:25:23 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
Wouldn't it be easier to purchase a few hundred smart high yield missiles and level out and conquer Somalia and then turn that into a the Libertarian Wet-Dream? Plus it also comes with labor from the people you have just subjugated and since they were already used to living under the Libertarian Wet-Dream before they will already be used to it!

That depends if one views that the ends justify the means.

If you think it is okay to kill 100 people to save 1,000, then forcefully taking over an area so that you can make it a place "free of force" is okay.

I see your point.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
BennyW
Posts: 698
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 6:00:34 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/17/2011 12:08:12 PM, Lasagna wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com...

I wanna live there. Actually wasn't that the point of Sealand?
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
SuperRobotWars
Posts: 3,906
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 6:44:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/17/2011 6:00:34 PM, BennyW wrote:
At 8/17/2011 12:08:12 PM, Lasagna wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com...

I wanna live there. Actually wasn't that the point of Sealand?

No, it was the purpose of the Republic of Minerva: http://en.wikipedia.org...
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 8:34:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/17/2011 3:01:46 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/17/2011 2:24:11 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 8/17/2011 1:16:44 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Possibly the most successful micronation...

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Wow. That may be the supidest thing I've ever seen. It's a piece of sea garbage with a population of 3 people and is smaller than a rich persons house. And this is internationally recognized as a nation? And has it's own currency and economy? That's absurdity. Fail Sealand is fail.

It's not really recognized as a nation. Britian simply recognizes that it isn't under British control, and Germany only sent a diplomat because they took a person hostage (claimed that he was being held for treason crimes... with a $35,000 fine, that's totally what treason costs, lol).


If only Germany was back to its old days and just bombed its @ss. Total population annihilation.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,240
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 8:53:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/17/2011 8:34:24 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 8/17/2011 3:01:46 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/17/2011 2:24:11 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 8/17/2011 1:16:44 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Possibly the most successful micronation...

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Wow. That may be the supidest thing I've ever seen. It's a piece of sea garbage with a population of 3 people and is smaller than a rich persons house. And this is internationally recognized as a nation? And has it's own currency and economy? That's absurdity. Fail Sealand is fail.

It's not really recognized as a nation. Britian simply recognizes that it isn't under British control, and Germany only sent a diplomat because they took a person hostage (claimed that he was being held for treason crimes... with a $35,000 fine, that's totally what treason costs, lol).


If only Germany was back to its old days and just bombed its @ss. Total population annihilation.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 3:23:50 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/17/2011 2:24:11 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 8/17/2011 1:16:44 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Possibly the most successful micronation...

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Wow. That may be the supidest thing I've ever seen. It's a piece of sea garbage with a population of 3 people and is smaller than a rich persons house. And this is internationally recognized as a nation? And has it's own currency and economy? That's absurdity. Fail Sealand is fail.

Hells bells you are a retard.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 3:24:50 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/17/2011 3:01:46 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/17/2011 2:24:11 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 8/17/2011 1:16:44 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Possibly the most successful micronation...

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Wow. That may be the supidest thing I've ever seen. It's a piece of sea garbage with a population of 3 people and is smaller than a rich persons house. And this is internationally recognized as a nation? And has it's own currency and economy? That's absurdity. Fail Sealand is fail.

It's not really recognized as a nation. Britian simply recognizes that it isn't under British control, and Germany only sent a diplomat because they took a person hostage (claimed that he was being held for treason crimes... with a $35,000 fine, that's totally what treason costs, lol).

I think the funny part is that they had a fire and needed England's help (putting it out, sending people to a hospital), I would have totally said "hey, you're an independent "nation," take care of yourself" and watched it burn into the sea.

It's ruler lives not far from me.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.