Jump to topic:

Bias and pandering

PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 5:56:21 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
CBS news has long denied that they pander to liberal issues while defaming conservative views, even in the face of overwhelming evidence supporting he assertion. In my estimation, Dan Rather was one the most biased news anchor ever to be on the air (not to be confused with opinion columnists).

The debacle with "Memogate" where CBS allegedly forged documents and then was caught doing so was one of the more memorable instances. Rather left shortly thereafter.

Now it seems CBS was selling Barack Obama merchandise in their online web store until the story broke.

http://www.businessinsider.com...

With how tarnished the media's reputation has been with other instances of alleged bias on virtually all the networks, why put yourself in that position? I am of the belief that a news station should be as neutral as possible, without massaging and preening suggestive speech or behavior that shows partiality and/or partisanship.

Selling Obama merchandise is tantamount to unilateral support (as if anyone should be surprised).

Your thoughts?
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 6:14:18 PM
At 8/20/2011 5:56:21 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
CBS news has long denied that they pander to liberal issues while defaming conservative views, even in the face of overwhelming evidence supporting he assertion. In my estimation, Dan Rather was one the most biased news anchor ever to be on the air (not to be confused with opinion columnists).

The debacle with "Memogate" where CBS allegedly forged documents and then was caught doing so was one of the more memorable instances. Rather left shortly thereafter.

Now it seems CBS was selling Barack Obama merchandise in their online web store until the story broke.

With how tarnished the media's reputation has been with other instances of alleged bias on virtually all the networks, why put yourself in that position? I am of the belief that a news station should be as neutral as possible, without massaging and preening suggestive speech or behavior that shows partiality and/or partisanship.

Selling Obama merchandise is tantamount to unilateral support (as if anyone should be surprised).

Your thoughts?

Yeah, not too bright on their side.

Can't say I'm too shocked to hear about CBS. It's kinda hard to blame a third party when the bottom of the website has Obama's name all over it.
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 6:20:43 PM
All the NEWS stations seem to be corrupt and have a bias towards what material they choose to show, and what position they take in explaining it. I used to listen to political radio and it was quite the common topic.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 6:26:54 PM
At 8/20/2011 6:20:43 PM, Tiel wrote:
All the NEWS stations seem to be corrupt and have a bias towards what material they choose to show, and what position they take in explaining it. I used to listen to political radio and it was quite the common topic.

Political radio was complaining about someone else being biased towards material?
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 6:45:02 PM
At 8/20/2011 5:56:21 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

Your thoughts?

Honestly, I wouldn't even care if the news stations were honest. I prefer to listen to radio/news of all the biases, because I think that when you put them together you get a better perspective. For example, a conservative talk show I listen to is in no way shy about it--one of the first things he said from his first broadcast was that he was a conservative person with a conservative show--but I don't care, because at least he's being open.

Now FOX News is SO clearly conservative that I laugh whenever they say "Fair and Balanced." C'mon, FOX--if you're gonna shout down anyone who disagrees with you, at least admit it.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 6:47:05 PM
Give me a break. So long has FAUX News sustains its obvious and blatant conservative bias, Liberalism should have its bias outlet as well, its only fair. :p
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 6:48:28 PM
At 8/20/2011 6:47:05 PM, 000ike wrote:
Give me a break. So long has FAUX News sustains its obvious and blatant conservative bias, Liberalism should have its bias outlet as well, its only fair. :p

Oh how cute. You spelled FOX like FAUX--clever.

Anyway, I don't see it as being air, I just see it as false advertising--bias is fine as long as you're open about it.

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 7:05:15 PM
At 8/20/2011 6:48:28 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

Anyway, I don't see it as being air, I just see it as false advertising--bias is fine as long as you're open about it.

That's like saying that it's okay to cheat on a test so long as you tell your teacher first. As a moderate, I am only interested in the news as it is and I would rather not have political leanings of the anchors confuse the facts as they are being given.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 7:07:37 PM
At 8/20/2011 7:05:15 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/20/2011 6:48:28 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

That's like saying that it's okay to cheat on a test so long as you tell your teacher first. As a moderate, I am only interested in the news as it is and I would rather not have political leanings of the anchors confuse the facts as they are being given.

Which is why I read all kinds of news from all kinds of biases--so I can look and make my own determination.

Also, there ARE some more moderate news sources--like I think CNN isn't TOO badly biased.

PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 7:23:30 PM
Every single major network, to some degree or other, exhibits a level of bias. CBS and FOX have been determined to have the most instances and the most pronounced cases of both liberal and conservative bias, yet some in the intelligentsia deny it outright.

I thought this wiki article was very interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org...
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 12:44:06 AM
you can't entirely blame the networks. unbiased news doesn't attract loyal viewers/listeners the way partisan news does, regardless of what people say about wanting "just the facts".
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 10:03:10 AM
At 8/21/2011 12:44:06 AM, belle wrote:
you can't entirely blame the networks. unbiased news doesn't attract loyal viewers/listeners the way partisan news does, regardless of what people say about wanting "just the facts".:

The major networks need all the viewers they can get. It would therefore be prudent not to alienate half of the country with pandering. The nightly news anchors are supposed to simply report the facts -- not manipulate them, not massage data -- just the facts and let the viewer make their own grand conclusion.

Now, as for cable news stations, people want that bias. Conservatives purposely watch Hannity because he pleads their case. That's fine to me, because it's an opinion column geared towards targeting a specific demographic. Same goes for Maddow on the left.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 12:23:28 PM
It is the most predictable response among all responses when liberal media bias is brought up - what about fox news! You can just count the seconds before it comes up because it is a knee jerk response that is ingrained. Thing is, you can't name 3 others like Fox, but you can easily name 3 others like CBS, in fact you can probably name 33 others like CBS. Read Bernie Goldberg's book 'Bias', he does a good job of documenting it.