Rick Santorum Smoked Weed In College

jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2011 10:42:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
http://www.rawstory.com...

From article: "I admitted back when I was running for the Senate that when I was in college I smoked pot, and that was something I did when I was in college, and it was something that I'm not proud of, but I did it," he said. "And it is something I wish I hadn't done, but I did and I admitted it and would encourage people not to do so."
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2011 10:55:32 PM
Does he believe he deserved to be arrested back in college? Probably not.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2011 10:55:51 PM
At 9/1/2011 10:44:33 PM, Lasagna wrote:
haha Republican scumbag hypocrite... If he's against the WoD then I take it back but I seriously doubt he is.

I think it's so funny that Ron Paul is the most adamantly anti-"WoD" candidate and probably the least likely to do drugs. Though I've never heard Santorum talk about it, I imagine he'd go on about the evils of drugs and how they corrupt society, and how pushing his social views onto everyone else is the only way to have a "moral society." Given his other staunchly socially conservative views I'd expect him to be the most pro-drug war candidate.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2011 10:57:30 PM
I don't think acknowledging that past actions were wrong really makes one hypocritical. If Santorum were still smoking weed today in secret while making that statement, though, then he would definitely be a hypocrite.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2011 11:20:35 PM
At 9/1/2011 10:57:30 PM, mongeese wrote:
I don't think acknowledging that past actions were wrong really makes one hypocritical. If Santorum were still smoking weed today in secret while making that statement, though, then he would definitely be a hypocrite.

If he voluntarily decides to serve a jail sentence for his crime then I will admonish him of that title.
Rob
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2011 11:33:31 PM
At 9/1/2011 11:20:35 PM, Lasagna wrote:

If he voluntarily decides to serve a jail sentence for his crime then I will admonish him of that title.

This.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2011 11:40:18 PM
At 9/1/2011 11:33:31 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

This.

no, not this. That's like asking someone who stole something years ago and got away with it, but currently does not steal and is against it, to take himself to jail. No one wants to go to jail for any reason, whether or not that jail is DESERVED. People know they deserve to go to jail for certain things, but they would never take themselves in. Does that compel them to believe that the law should be changed? No. The logic you put forth does not carry.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2011 11:51:16 PM
At 9/1/2011 11:40:18 PM, 000ike wrote:

This.

no, not this. That's like asking someone who stole something years ago and got away with it, but currently does not steal and is against it, to take himself to jail. No one wants to go to jail for any reason, whether or not that jail is DESERVED. People know they deserve to go to jail for certain things, but they would never take themselves in.

Then he shouldn't expect others to go to jail for the same acts that he committed. Unless he's going to serve the jail time himself, he can't expect others to serve jail time that he refuses to do.

Does that compel them to believe that the law should be changed? No.

If he doesn't believe that his past act was a jailable act then he should be consistent and believe that current weed smokers shouldn't go to jail.

The logic you put forth does not carry.

You have put forth zero logic and a faulty argument, try again.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2011 11:59:22 PM
At 9/1/2011 11:51:16 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 9/1/2011 11:40:18 PM, 000ike wrote:

This.

no, not this. That's like asking someone who stole something years ago and got away with it, but currently does not steal and is against it, to take himself to jail. No one wants to go to jail for any reason, whether or not that jail is DESERVED. People know they deserve to go to jail for certain things, but they would never take themselves in.

Then he shouldn't expect others to go to jail for the same acts that he committed. Unless he's going to serve the jail time himself, he can't expect others to serve jail time that he refuses to do.

Does that compel them to believe that the law should be changed? No.

If he doesn't believe that his past act was a jailable act then he should be consistent and believe that current weed smokers shouldn't go to jail.

He believes it is a jailable act. One can believe something is jailable, but still not want to get jailed. You can BELIEVE that you deserve to go to jail, but not everyone is an upstanding fellow who will let themselves get what they deserve. He basically has a belief but also has his own personal interests. That does not mean, that in his hypocrisy, the initial law is faulty.

The logic you put forth does not carry.

You clearly didn't understand a word of what I said.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Plato_ATODT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2011 12:18:05 AM

This is nothing but foolish political attacks. Would an adult that pushed someone when he was a 6 year old child be a hypocrite for supporting peace? As such, when someone foolishly did drugs as a child and admits it was wrong as an adult, it is honorable.
The Philosopher King will rule when the time is right.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2011 1:06:32 AM
At 9/2/2011 12:18:05 AM, Plato_ATODT wrote:

This is nothing but foolish political attacks. Would an adult that pushed someone when he was a 6 year old child be a hypocrite for supporting peace? As such, when someone foolishly did drugs as a child and admits it was wrong as an adult, it is honorable.

Don't bother with these ones. I already tried to explain that to them.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2011 7:41:52 AM
I don't think acknowledging that past actions were wrong really makes one hypocritical. If Santorum were still smoking weed today in secret while making that statement, though, then he would definitely be a hypocrite.:

It's a political maneuver that Clinton boldly started. Appear open, honest, and introspective to the public and they'll admire you for your transparency. It's a dog and pony show and I, for one, am not impressed because I'm suspect of his underlying motive.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2011 7:43:01 AM

If he voluntarily decides to serve a jail sentence for his crime then I will admonish him of that title.:

Pretty much THIS ^
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2011 7:46:54 AM
This is nothing but foolish political attacks. Would an adult that pushed someone when he was a 6 year old child be a hypocrite for supporting peace? As such, when someone foolishly did drugs as a child and admits it was wrong as an adult, it is honorable.:

Nice equivocation, but there's a world of difference between 6 years old and 18, 19, 20, 21, or 22 years old. If he's willing to imprison people for smoking weed (LOL) then he has to be accountable for his own actions.
seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2011 8:59:35 AM
At 9/2/2011 7:46:54 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
This is nothing but foolish political attacks. Would an adult that pushed someone when he was a 6 year old child be a hypocrite for supporting peace? As such, when someone foolishly did drugs as a child and admits it was wrong as an adult, it is honorable.:

Nice equivocation, but there's a world of difference between 6 years old and 18, 19, 20, 21, or 22 years old. If he's willing to imprison people for smoking weed (LOL) then he has to be accountable for his own actions.

Agreed.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2011 9:37:53 AM
If santorum stole before, then he should repay. If he committed violence, then he should make amends and accept his punishment. In this case he smoked weed, and his debt is clear: if he truly believes smoking weed is immoral and should carry legal ramifications, then he should make legal atonements for himself before asking it of society.

For starters, we should send a team of armed police to his house to search it for contraband, and if they resist in any way they should be shot. His family, dogs, anyone who resists will be killed in order to preserve the safety of the officers involved who are innocent. After that, he will be arrested and brought to the local jail to be stripsearched, put into prison garb, and spend the night in jail. He will submit his penis and urinate into a cup so we can determine whether he has contraband in his system. The fines shouldn't be too much trouble on his salary, but some community service would probably also be appropriate. A scheduled meeting with a social worker to determine what sort of treatment he needs will be next, and if he is showing progress after 6 weeks then he can be moved off of the outpatient program. Finally, some community service would be appropriate to repay his debt to society. He may need to sacrifice time with his family and his current position to satisfy these requirements, but hey, he should have thought of that before he started using.
Rob
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2011 10:28:26 AM
At 9/2/2011 9:37:53 AM, Lasagna wrote:
If santorum stole before, then he should repay. If he committed violence, then he should make amends and accept his punishment. In this case he smoked weed, and his debt is clear: if he truly believes smoking weed is immoral and should carry legal ramifications, then he should make legal atonements for himself before asking it of society.

Yup.

Also apparently he is acknowledging that smoking weed is not the end of the world, considering he did it in college and yet turned out okay (by his standards). Oh my gosh -- weed is not this super dangerous gateway drug that will destroy your life! He's a politically active functioning member of society (albeit a scumbag one).
President of DDO
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2011 10:30:38 AM
At 9/2/2011 7:41:52 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
I don't think acknowledging that past actions were wrong really makes one hypocritical. If Santorum were still smoking weed today in secret while making that statement, though, then he would definitely be a hypocrite.:

It's a political maneuver that Clinton boldly started. Appear open, honest, and introspective to the public and they'll admire you for your transparency. It's a dog and pony show and I, for one, am not impressed because I'm suspect of his underlying motive.

Actually, I have to say that though I disagree with 99% of everything Rick Santorum says or believes, the man has got convictions. He fights for causes that he really believes in. I don't think it's a political ploy, and I don't think that it would gain admiration from the socially conservative camp to which he predominantly appeals. I don't know much about him but I don't think he's just another phony politician who thinks about what will look good to the media.
seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2011 10:54:23 AM
At 9/2/2011 9:37:53 AM, Lasagna wrote:

For starters, we should send a team of armed police to his house to search it for contraband, and if they resist in any way they should be shot. His family, dogs, anyone who resists will be killed in order to preserve the safety of the officers involved who are innocent. After that, he will be arrested and brought to the local jail to be stripsearched, put into prison garb, and spend the night in jail. He will submit his penis and urinate into a cup so we can determine whether he has contraband in his system. The fines shouldn't be too much trouble on his salary, but some community service would probably also be appropriate. A scheduled meeting with a social worker to determine what sort of treatment he needs will be next, and if he is showing progress after 6 weeks then he can be moved off of the outpatient program. Finally, some community service would be appropriate to repay his debt to society. He may need to sacrifice time with his family and his current position to satisfy these requirements, but hey, he should have thought of that before he started using.

/like
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2011 11:03:29 AM
A lot of people have done things which go against the law. It's normal and for many, inevitable.

Santorum is not a hypocrite for being against drugs in the present, while having smoked some in the past. It's called a mistake. There's no need for him to repay what he did. He already repays by admitting that it was a mistake (which takes more than paying $500 fine), and that he wants to guide others away from what he did. That's what's needed, not to "raid his house" or whatever someone here suggested.

I don't think he advocates punishing people for minor and mostly personal crimes that they committed in the past and have moved on from. If the opposite were the case, then that'd make him a hypocrite. But it's not. Therefore he's not a hypocrite due to this.

Try again.
BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2011 11:25:19 AM
That would make him just like the past few presidents. Obama got high in college, I believe Bush smoked it at least once, Clinton admitted to smoking but not inhaling.
I am no fan of Perry but him admitting to it is better than trying to cover it up. I agree with what some others have said, Ron Paul is probably the least likely to do drugs even though he opposes drug laws.
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2011 11:56:34 AM
At 9/2/2011 11:03:29 AM, Mirza wrote:
A lot of people have done things which go against the law. It's normal and for many, inevitable.

Well that tells you a lot about the nature of law then... although I doubt you'll admit it.

Santorum is not a hypocrite for being against drugs in the present, while having smoked some in the past. It's called a mistake.

Oh that's a lovely mis-statement of the situation to fit your ideological goals. We tolerate that without question these days, because, after all it's drugs we're talking about and they are immoral.

Being "against drugs" means that you don't think people should do drugs. I am arguably in this category in a large part, as I think the hard drugs are a mistake to do and cannabis easily turns into a bad habit as well. Santorum isn't against drugs, he is for imprisoning those who do drugs. Your inability to make this distinction is evidence that you cannot think straight about the issue; you probably have some emotional block or something where your hatred for those who use them is causing you to act ignorantly.

If Santorum thinks that people who use drugs should be imprisoned, then he should start by imprisoning himself to repay his debt to society. If he were a rapist that suddenly started thinking rape was an imprisonable offense, then that wouldn't change the logic of the situation.
Rob
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2011 11:59:41 AM
At 9/2/2011 11:25:19 AM, BennyW wrote:
That would make him just like the past few presidents. Obama got high in college, I believe Bush smoked it at least once, Clinton admitted to smoking but not inhaling.
I am no fan of Perry but him admitting to it is better than trying to cover it up. I agree with what some others have said, Ron Paul is probably the least likely to do drugs even though he opposes drug laws.

Benny, Bush 43 was a coke-head. That didn't stop him from reigning down the DEA on California-approved medical marijuana facilities. Republicans are typically void of empathy and they replace their moral fabric with neoconservative Christian ideals which are like polished cold steel blades resting on beds of velvet.
Rob
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2011 12:03:56 PM
At 9/2/2011 11:56:34 AM, Lasagna wrote:

Well that tells you a lot about the nature of law then... although I doubt you'll admit it.

Santorum is not a hypocrite for being against drugs in the present, while having smoked some in the past. It's called a mistake.

Oh that's a lovely mis-statement of the situation to fit your ideological goals. We tolerate that without question these days, because, after all it's drugs we're talking about and they are immoral.

Being "against drugs" means that you don't think people should do drugs. I am arguably in this category in a large part, as I think the hard drugs are a mistake to do and cannabis easily turns into a bad habit as well. Santorum isn't against drugs, he is for imprisoning those who do drugs. Your inability to make this distinction is evidence that you cannot think straight about the issue; you probably have some emotional block or something where your hatred for those who use them is causing you to act ignorantly.

If Santorum thinks that people who use drugs should be imprisoned, then he should start by imprisoning himself to repay his debt to society. If he were a rapist that suddenly started thinking rape was an imprisonable offense, then that wouldn't change the logic of the situation.
I see, you ignored most of my response. I think we can see who cannot distinguish between a few things. Past, present - to begin with. Then ignoring old personal crimes, try addressing that also.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2011 12:05:43 PM
Santorum is not a hypocrite for being against drugs in the present, while having smoked some in the past. It's called a mistake. There's no need for him to repay what he did. He already repays by admitting that it was a mistake (which takes more than paying $500 fine), and that he wants to guide others away from what he did.

I killed someone last year... I'm sorry for my mistake! I acknowledge it was a mistake. It won't happen again, I promise.
President of DDO
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2011 12:12:38 PM
At 9/2/2011 12:05:43 PM, Danielle wrote:
Santorum is not a hypocrite for being against drugs in the present, while having smoked some in the past. It's called a mistake. There's no need for him to repay what he did. He already repays by admitting that it was a mistake (which takes more than paying $500 fine), and that he wants to guide others away from what he did.

I killed someone last year... I'm sorry for my mistake! I acknowledge it was a mistake. It won't happen again, I promise.
Yes. Just a moment...

I just read my posts again, and I think I made a distinction between crime and personal crime. Even to say "minor" personal crime.

So due to that, I suggest you try to see how good your analogy is. Killing a person and committing a minor personal crime... Very comparable.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2011 12:14:59 PM

Santorum is not a hypocrite for being against drugs in the present, while having smoked some in the past. It's called a mistake. There's no need for him to repay what he did.:

So if I got caught with a bag of weed and said, "I made a mistake," all will be forgiven? Think Santorum would let that go? If not, then only one of two things can rectify it: Either he amends the law and decriminalizes it, or he pays restitution for it.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2011 12:15:59 PM
At 9/2/2011 12:12:38 PM, Mirza wrote:
So due to that, I suggest you try to see how good your analogy is. Killing a person and committing a minor personal crime... Very comparable.

If it's a minor personal crime then why should there be a punishment at all? Fail.
President of DDO