Jump to topic:

Why does the US support Israel so much?

InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 5:45:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I think it's partially due to the large number of evangelical Christians in the US that believe the creation of Israel fulfills Biblical prophecy about the return of Jesus, but I could be wrong. It's funny, considering many Orthodox Jews have the opposite perspective, that Israel can only be created when their Messiah comes.
quarterexchange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 5:46:35 PM
At 9/3/2011 5:45:27 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I think it's partially due to the large number of evangelical Christians in the US that believe the creation of Israel fulfills Biblical prophecy about the return of Jesus, but I could be wrong. It's funny, considering many Orthodox Jews have the opposite perspective, that Israel can only be created when their Messiah comes.

Where did you here that?
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 5:48:12 PM
At 9/3/2011 5:46:35 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
At 9/3/2011 5:45:27 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Where did you here that?

I have been involved in the Israeli/Arab conflict for quite some time now and that view is quite common among the Pro-Israel crowd. The majority of zionists, at let from my experiences are indeed Anti-Islamic Christians who believe that with the Jews returning to Palestine that Jesus will return.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 5:50:19 PM
At 9/3/2011 5:48:22 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
Cultural ties, shared commitment to modern democracy, surely economic ties and a powerful lobby in the US.

But what are those cultural ties? What is "culture" anyway? I'm really trying to understand the real reason behind this unquestionable support.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 6:04:29 PM
U.S. heg. A pro-western democracy in the middle of the most anti-american region on Earth is extremely advantageous.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 6:05:48 PM
At 9/3/2011 6:04:29 PM, thett3 wrote:
U.S. heg. A pro-western democracy in the middle of the most anti-american region on Earth is extremely advantageous.

Well to be fair, they're mainly anti-american due to the fact that the US keeps intervening in their affairs. Most of those people just genuinely want to be left alone.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 6:08:28 PM
At 9/3/2011 6:05:48 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Well to be fair, they're mainly anti-american due to the fact that the US keeps intervening in their affairs. Most of those people just genuinely want to be left alone.

I was just answering the OP's question haha
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 6:09:43 PM
At 9/3/2011 6:08:28 PM, thett3 wrote:

Ah ok. Fair enough. This is just stuff I feel strongly about.
quarterexchange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 6:11:04 PM
Without U.S. intervention Israel wouldn't exist. However I don't believe they need our help so much now.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 6:11:08 PM

I think the practical aspects of having Israel as an ally is a good reason to support it. However, I also noticed that many Americans feel morally justified in supporting Israel. That I can't understand.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 6:14:25 PM
At 9/3/2011 6:11:08 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

I think the practical aspects of having Israel as an ally is a good reason to support it. However, I also noticed that many Americans feel morally justified in supporting Israel. That I can't understand.

Oh. Well in my expert (ignorant) opinion, I would say a mix of anti-islamic sentiment, biblical understanding (Isreal belonging to the Jews originally) and feeling sorry for the jews because of all the hard things they've been through
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

ryan_thomas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 6:15:55 PM

They are trying to kill whole groups of people. We can't just say that it's not our problem, thats like you standing in a back alley watching a little girl get raped and murdered and doing anything about it.
All Hail Lord Ryan!
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 6:18:52 PM
At 9/3/2011 6:15:55 PM, ryan_thomas wrote:

They are trying to kill whole groups of people. We can't just say that it's not our problem, thats like you standing in a back alley watching a little girl get raped and murdered and doing anything about it.

The US is also killing people by intervening. Your point?
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 6:19:36 PM
At 9/3/2011 6:18:52 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Time for a showdown :P
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 6:23:31 PM
At 9/3/2011 6:14:25 PM, thett3 wrote:

Oh. Well in my expert (ignorant) opinion, I would say a mix of anti-islamic sentiment, biblical understanding (Isreal belonging to the Jews originally) and feeling sorry for the jews because of all the hard things they've been through

This is pretty much what it is. However, you do have to realize that Theodor Herzl(the founder of modern political zionist) was a Jewish supremacist, or so I heard. Also, as I said in another thread, segregation does exist in Israel. Black Ethiopian Jews are segregated from the white Ashkenazi Jews which make up a majority of the population.
ryan_thomas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 6:25:33 PM

Yeah the U.S. is killing the murderers, not innocent people like women and children.
All Hail Lord Ryan!
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 6:27:24 PM
At 9/3/2011 6:25:33 PM, ryan_thomas wrote:

Yeah the U.S. is killing the murderers, not innocent people like women and children.

Actually, the US is killing innocent people. That is never justified.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 6:27:29 PM

Why do you consider women "innocent"? Why do you lump them together with children?
ryan_thomas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 6:34:52 PM
At 9/3/2011 6:27:24 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Actually, the US is killing innocent people. That is never justified.

So your saying Osama was innocent? Your saying the Taliban, Al Quida, and hesbolah are good organizations? LOL Your saying Suddam Hussian killing all the Kirds in Iraq wasn't murder?
All Hail Lord Ryan!
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 6:37:12 PM
At 9/3/2011 6:34:52 PM, ryan_thomas wrote:

So your saying Osama was innocent? Your saying the Taliban, Al Quida, and hesbolah are good organizations? LOL Your saying Suddam Hussian killing all the Kirds in Iraq wasn't murder?

Now you're just lumping all middle easterners together. Al-Qaeda, Hezbollah, etc. don't represent all middle eastern people and innocents have been killed. That is a fact.
ryan_thomas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 6:44:50 PM
At 9/3/2011 6:37:12 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Now you're just lumping all middle easterners together. Al-Qaeda, Hezbollah, etc. don't represent all middle eastern people and innocents have been killed. That is a fact

Yes I will agree that the U.S. has made some bad judgments, but the majority of the innocent people are being killed by these terrorests and Iran and Iraq and Lebbonan. Not all the Mid-East hates us but the ones that do are the ones that are killing innocent people including our own citizens and ally Israel. Therefore, it isn't exactly right to be able to do something bout it and just sit there a watch.
All Hail Lord Ryan!
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 6:47:09 PM
At 9/3/2011 6:44:50 PM, ryan_thomas wrote:

Now you're just lumping all middle easterners together. Al-Qaeda, Hezbollah, etc. don't represent all middle eastern people and innocents have been killed. That is a fact

Yes I will agree that the U.S. has made some bad judgments, but the majority of the innocent people are being killed by these terrorests and Iran and Iraq and Lebbonan. Not all the Mid-East hates us but the ones that do are the ones that are killing innocent people including our own citizens and ally Israel. Therefore, it isn't exactly right to be able to do something bout it and just sit there a watch.

It's not America's job to police the world, especially not by entering illegal wars such as the one in Iraq.
ryan_thomas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 6:52:27 PM
At 9/3/2011 6:47:09 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

It's not America's job to police the world, especially not by entering illegal wars such as the one in Iraq.

It was humanitarian aid, and it was suspected that they had weapons of mass distruction. Not to mention that their leader was a big threst to our oil interests in the middle east. The war was justified.
All Hail Lord Ryan!
Anarcho
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 6:55:15 PM

Do you have any idea how many innocent people have been killed by America? Millions in the past decade alone by direct US action.
InsertNameHere wrote: "If we evolved from apes then why are apes still around?

This is semi-serious btw. It's something that seems strange to me. You'd think that entire species would cease to exist if other ones evolved from them."

Anarcho wrote: *facepalm*
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 6:56:43 PM
At 9/3/2011 6:52:27 PM, ryan_thomas wrote:

It was humanitarian aid, and it was suspected that they had weapons of mass distruction. Not to mention that their leader was a big threst to our oil interests in the middle east. The war was justified.

"Humanitarian Aid" doesn't constitute bombing a place. Also, the WMD thing was proven false and still the US insisted on going to war, even after the UN condemned it. lol, of course. A threat to oil interests. That's not even American oil, but middle eastern oil. The "oil interests" is just imperialism.
Anarcho
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 6:56:46 PM
At 9/3/2011 6:47:09 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

"They wouldn't give us their oil!!!!! Wahhhhh!!!!! Let's say they have nukes and invade them and say we're giving democracy!"
InsertNameHere wrote: "If we evolved from apes then why are apes still around?

This is semi-serious btw. It's something that seems strange to me. You'd think that entire species would cease to exist if other ones evolved from them."

Anarcho wrote: *facepalm*
ryan_thomas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 7:02:55 PM
At 9/3/2011 6:55:15 PM, Anarcho wrote:

Do you have any idea how many innocent people have been killed by America? Millions in the past decade alone by direct US action.

15,000 in Iraq most from terrorist bombings ( http://www.iraqbodycount.org... )

9,759 in Afganistan most by terrorist hands. ( http://www.guardian.co.uk... )
All Hail Lord Ryan!
ryan_thomas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 7:05:38 PM
At 9/3/2011 6:56:43 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

"Humanitarian Aid" doesn't constitute bombing a place. Also, the WMD thing was proven false and still the US insisted on going to war, even after the UN condemned it. lol, of course. A threat to oil interests. That's not even American oil, but middle eastern oil. The "oil interests" is just imperialism.

We trade with other counties for that oil, and Iraq was trying to invade all our allies in the middle-. It wasn't imperialism we didn't take over the intire country.
All Hail Lord Ryan!