Total Posts:36|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Tobacco, Marijuana, Alcohol

Tiel
Posts: 1,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 5:46:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Why are Tobacco and Alcohol legal, yet Marijuana is not?

How is Marijuana any worse than smoking tobacco and drinking alcohol?
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 5:53:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/7/2011 5:46:24 PM, Tiel wrote:
Why are Tobacco and Alcohol legal, yet Marijuana is not?

How is Marijuana any worse than smoking tobacco and drinking alcohol?

http://www.debate.org...
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 5:54:02 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/7/2011 5:53:39 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/7/2011 5:46:24 PM, Tiel wrote:
Why are Tobacco and Alcohol legal, yet Marijuana is not?

How is Marijuana any worse than smoking tobacco and drinking alcohol?

http://www.debate.org...

If you would like, I can give you the short version of this.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,325
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 5:58:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/7/2011 5:46:24 PM, Tiel wrote:
Why are Tobacco and Alcohol legal, yet Marijuana is not?

How is Marijuana any worse than smoking tobacco and drinking alcohol?

Most illegal drugs are classified as Schedule One because of media hype.
Tiel
Posts: 1,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 6:44:25 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/7/2011 5:54:02 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/7/2011 5:53:39 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/7/2011 5:46:24 PM, Tiel wrote:
Why are Tobacco and Alcohol legal, yet Marijuana is not?

How is Marijuana any worse than smoking tobacco and drinking alcohol?

http://www.debate.org...

If you would like, I can give you the short version of this.

Yes, I would like that.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
Tiel
Posts: 1,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 6:48:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/7/2011 5:54:02 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/7/2011 5:53:39 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/7/2011 5:46:24 PM, Tiel wrote:
Why are Tobacco and Alcohol legal, yet Marijuana is not?

How is Marijuana any worse than smoking tobacco and drinking alcohol?

http://www.debate.org...

If you would like, I can give you the short version of this.

Also, I will debate you on the fact that Marijuana is no more harmful to society or the human body than tobacco or alcohol.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,325
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 6:50:55 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/7/2011 6:48:48 PM, Tiel wrote:
At 9/7/2011 5:54:02 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/7/2011 5:53:39 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/7/2011 5:46:24 PM, Tiel wrote:
Why are Tobacco and Alcohol legal, yet Marijuana is not?

How is Marijuana any worse than smoking tobacco and drinking alcohol?

http://www.debate.org...

If you would like, I can give you the short version of this.

Also, I will debate you on the fact that Marijuana is no more harmful to society or the human body than tobacco or alcohol.

With you as Pro? Interesting.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 7:02:44 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/7/2011 5:53:39 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/7/2011 5:46:24 PM, Tiel wrote:
Why are Tobacco and Alcohol legal, yet Marijuana is not?

How is Marijuana any worse than smoking tobacco and drinking alcohol?

http://www.debate.org...

You put forth quite a convincing case. Of course I never really maintained either position but rather felt marijuana and tobacco are equal in terms of harmful effects.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 7:11:25 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Neither of them are good to ingest but I dot understan how that is even a factor when deciding on whether they should be illegal or not.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Tiel
Posts: 1,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 7:14:55 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
My debate challenge stands for anyone else as well. Just let me know and we can hash out the details... No pun intended....
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 7:15:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/7/2011 6:48:48 PM, Tiel wrote:
At 9/7/2011 5:54:02 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/7/2011 5:53:39 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/7/2011 5:46:24 PM, Tiel wrote:
Why are Tobacco and Alcohol legal, yet Marijuana is not?

How is Marijuana any worse than smoking tobacco and drinking alcohol?

http://www.debate.org...

If you would like, I can give you the short version of this.

Also, I will debate you on the fact that Marijuana is no more harmful to society or the human body than tobacco or alcohol.

I'd prefer to stick to medical, though honestly, I'm having a hard time finding the time to debate at the moment.

A summation of my arugments was that Marijuana can be striped down to THC, and Tobacco can be striped down to nicotine. Other chemicals can vary depending on the method of taking the drug and what companies put into the drug (I personally think it is foolish to believe that should marijuana become legalized, that it won't follow the same path as tobacco and be flooded with addatives, but that is another topic).

oz of oz, nicotine is deadlier than THC, however, because THC stays in the body longer, it is easier to OD on THC than on nicotine (though both take a rediculus amount of time of heavy injestion to OD).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 7:47:06 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/7/2011 5:46:24 PM, Tiel wrote:
Why are Tobacco and Alcohol legal, yet Marijuana is not?

How is Marijuana any worse than smoking tobacco and drinking alcohol?

It's due to pure historical contingency.

If the Mexicans popularized smoking tobacco as cigarettes into america and hemp wasn't competitive in wood-based industries, I would bet marijuana would be legal today.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 7:52:28 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/7/2011 7:47:06 PM, Wnope wrote:
At 9/7/2011 5:46:24 PM, Tiel wrote:
Why are Tobacco and Alcohol legal, yet Marijuana is not?

How is Marijuana any worse than smoking tobacco and drinking alcohol?

It's due to pure historical contingency.

If the Mexicans popularized smoking tobacco as cigarettes into america and hemp wasn't competitive in wood-based industries, I would bet marijuana would be legal today.

People need to stop listening to family guy.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 8:01:34 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/7/2011 7:52:28 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/7/2011 7:47:06 PM, Wnope wrote:
At 9/7/2011 5:46:24 PM, Tiel wrote:
Why are Tobacco and Alcohol legal, yet Marijuana is not?

How is Marijuana any worse than smoking tobacco and drinking alcohol?

It's due to pure historical contingency.

If the Mexicans popularized smoking tobacco as cigarettes into america and hemp wasn't competitive in wood-based industries, I would bet marijuana would be legal today.

People need to stop listening to family guy.

Family Guy couldn't philosophize its way out of cardboard box. Their version of the story is simplistic.

Would you like to tell me why no one ever introduced a prohibitive tax on cannabis while the first attempt at making "marihuana" illegal went through immediately?

And yes, it's spelled "Marihuana" in the Tax Act.
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 8:02:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/7/2011 8:01:34 PM, Wnope wrote:
At 9/7/2011 7:52:28 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/7/2011 7:47:06 PM, Wnope wrote:
At 9/7/2011 5:46:24 PM, Tiel wrote:
Why are Tobacco and Alcohol legal, yet Marijuana is not?

How is Marijuana any worse than smoking tobacco and drinking alcohol?

It's due to pure historical contingency.

If the Mexicans popularized smoking tobacco as cigarettes into america and hemp wasn't competitive in wood-based industries, I would bet marijuana would be legal today.

People need to stop listening to family guy.

Family Guy couldn't philosophize its way out of cardboard box. Their version of the story is simplistic.

Would you like to tell me why no one ever introduced a prohibitive tax on cannabis while the first attempt at making "marihuana" illegal went through immediately?

And yes, it's spelled "Marihuana" in the Tax Act.

To correct myself, the Marihuana Tax Act did not make weed illegal, but it was the first part of a prohibitive campaign that lead to it.
Tiel
Posts: 1,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 8:04:44 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/7/2011 7:15:50 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/7/2011 6:48:48 PM, Tiel wrote:
At 9/7/2011 5:54:02 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/7/2011 5:53:39 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/7/2011 5:46:24 PM, Tiel wrote:
Why are Tobacco and Alcohol legal, yet Marijuana is not?

How is Marijuana any worse than smoking tobacco and drinking alcohol?

http://www.debate.org...

If you would like, I can give you the short version of this.

Also, I will debate you on the fact that Marijuana is no more harmful to society or the human body than tobacco or alcohol.

I'd prefer to stick to medical, though honestly, I'm having a hard time finding the time to debate at the moment.

A summation of my arugments was that Marijuana can be striped down to THC, and Tobacco can be striped down to nicotine. Other chemicals can vary depending on the method of taking the drug and what companies put into the drug (I personally think it is foolish to believe that should marijuana become legalized, that it won't follow the same path as tobacco and be flooded with addatives, but that is another topic).

oz of oz, nicotine is deadlier than THC, however, because THC stays in the body longer, it is easier to OD on THC than on nicotine (though both take a rediculus amount of time of heavy injestion to OD).

You can't OD on THC.

Also, there are receptors in the body specifically designed for THC.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 8:07:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/7/2011 8:04:44 PM, Tiel wrote:
At 9/7/2011 7:15:50 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/7/2011 6:48:48 PM, Tiel wrote:
At 9/7/2011 5:54:02 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/7/2011 5:53:39 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/7/2011 5:46:24 PM, Tiel wrote:
Why are Tobacco and Alcohol legal, yet Marijuana is not?

How is Marijuana any worse than smoking tobacco and drinking alcohol?

http://www.debate.org...

If you would like, I can give you the short version of this.

Also, I will debate you on the fact that Marijuana is no more harmful to society or the human body than tobacco or alcohol.

I'd prefer to stick to medical, though honestly, I'm having a hard time finding the time to debate at the moment.

A summation of my arugments was that Marijuana can be striped down to THC, and Tobacco can be striped down to nicotine. Other chemicals can vary depending on the method of taking the drug and what companies put into the drug (I personally think it is foolish to believe that should marijuana become legalized, that it won't follow the same path as tobacco and be flooded with addatives, but that is another topic).

oz of oz, nicotine is deadlier than THC, however, because THC stays in the body longer, it is easier to OD on THC than on nicotine (though both take a rediculus amount of time of heavy injestion to OD).

You can't OD on THC.

Also, there are receptors in the body specifically designed for THC.

I don't disagree, but FYI nicotinic receptors are as related to nicotine as endocannabidal receptors are related to THC.

But yeah, cannot OD on THC.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 8:08:14 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Also, there are receptors in the body specifically designed for THC.
I didn't know you believed in Intelligent Design.

Also, it's not impossible to overdose on THC, you just can't get there by smoking. With sufficient oral dose you can overdose on just about anything.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 8:09:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/7/2011 8:04:44 PM, Tiel wrote:
At 9/7/2011 7:15:50 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/7/2011 6:48:48 PM, Tiel wrote:
At 9/7/2011 5:54:02 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/7/2011 5:53:39 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/7/2011 5:46:24 PM, Tiel wrote:
Why are Tobacco and Alcohol legal, yet Marijuana is not?

How is Marijuana any worse than smoking tobacco and drinking alcohol?

http://www.debate.org...

If you would like, I can give you the short version of this.

Also, I will debate you on the fact that Marijuana is no more harmful to society or the human body than tobacco or alcohol.

I'd prefer to stick to medical, though honestly, I'm having a hard time finding the time to debate at the moment.

A summation of my arugments was that Marijuana can be striped down to THC, and Tobacco can be striped down to nicotine. Other chemicals can vary depending on the method of taking the drug and what companies put into the drug (I personally think it is foolish to believe that should marijuana become legalized, that it won't follow the same path as tobacco and be flooded with addatives, but that is another topic).

oz of oz, nicotine is deadlier than THC, however, because THC stays in the body longer, it is easier to OD on THC than on nicotine (though both take a rediculus amount of time of heavy injestion to OD).

You can't OD on THC.

False, look up the LD50 for THC, it is well documented. it is simply far enough out that it is unlikely to ever occur from smoking pot.


Also, there are receptors in the body specifically designed for THC.

There are also receptors "designed" for nicotine.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 8:14:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/7/2011 8:08:14 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Tiel said:
Also, there are receptors in the body specifically designed for THC.
I didn't know you believed in Intelligent Design.

Semantics. You know what he means.

Also, it's not impossible to overdose on THC, you just can't get there by smoking. With sufficient oral dose you can overdose on just about anything.

Again, that's a stupid remark. No sh!t you can overdose on anything. When people remark that it's "impossible" to overdose on a certain drug, they are alluding to the fact that the drug itself isn't lethal in very large doses just like water.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 8:17:51 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/7/2011 8:01:34 PM, Wnope wrote:
At 9/7/2011 7:52:28 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/7/2011 7:47:06 PM, Wnope wrote:
At 9/7/2011 5:46:24 PM, Tiel wrote:
Why are Tobacco and Alcohol legal, yet Marijuana is not?

How is Marijuana any worse than smoking tobacco and drinking alcohol?

It's due to pure historical contingency.

If the Mexicans popularized smoking tobacco as cigarettes into america and hemp wasn't competitive in wood-based industries, I would bet marijuana would be legal today.

People need to stop listening to family guy.

Family Guy couldn't philosophize its way out of cardboard box. Their version of the story is simplistic.

Would you like to tell me why no one ever introduced a prohibitive tax on cannabis while the first attempt at making "marihuana" illegal went through immediately?

That doesn't matter. We didn't tax murder before making it illegal. That doesn't make it a conspriacy. While the federal government didn't get into the game until 1937, states began before the civil war.

Before the 1937 (when the federal government got involved) every state recognized the drug as a "poison" (for over 30 years in most states) and 35 states had laws against marijuana possesion of their own.

They weren't banned because they were competitive to the wood-based industry, but because they were recognized as a poison, and the states didn't like people selling poison. Whether you argee that it is a poison or not, don't mess with the history.


And yes, it's spelled "Marihuana" in the Tax Act.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 8:18:38 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/7/2011 8:14:48 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 9/7/2011 8:08:14 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Tiel said:
Also, there are receptors in the body specifically designed for THC.
I didn't know you believed in Intelligent Design.

Semantics. You know what he means.

Also, it's not impossible to overdose on THC, you just can't get there by smoking. With sufficient oral dose you can overdose on just about anything.

Again, that's a stupid remark. No sh!t you can overdose on anything. When people remark that it's "impossible" to overdose on a certain drug, they are alluding to the fact that the drug itself isn't lethal in very large doses just like water.

Yet people have OD'd on water (see water poisoning).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
jat93
Posts: 1,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 8:22:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/7/2011 5:46:24 PM, Tiel wrote:
How is Marijuana any worse than smoking tobacco and drinking alcohol?

It generally isn't. The Drug War is an expensive failure which creates only harm. There aren't many compelling arguments for keeping marijuana illegal. There are an infinite amount of compelling arguments to legalize it, from just about every standpoint... Check out this link as a concise starting point: http://www.balancedpolitics.org...
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 8:28:03 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/7/2011 8:17:51 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/7/2011 8:01:34 PM, Wnope wrote:
At 9/7/2011 7:52:28 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/7/2011 7:47:06 PM, Wnope wrote:
At 9/7/2011 5:46:24 PM, Tiel wrote:
Why are Tobacco and Alcohol legal, yet Marijuana is not?

How is Marijuana any worse than smoking tobacco and drinking alcohol?

It's due to pure historical contingency.

If the Mexicans popularized smoking tobacco as cigarettes into america and hemp wasn't competitive in wood-based industries, I would bet marijuana would be legal today.

People need to stop listening to family guy.

Family Guy couldn't philosophize its way out of cardboard box. Their version of the story is simplistic.

Would you like to tell me why no one ever introduced a prohibitive tax on cannabis while the first attempt at making "marihuana" illegal went through immediately?

That doesn't matter. We didn't tax murder before making it illegal. That doesn't make it a conspriacy. While the federal government didn't get into the game until 1937, states began before the civil war.

Before the 1937 (when the federal government got involved) every state recognized the drug as a "poison" (for over 30 years in most states) and 35 states had laws against marijuana possesion of their own.

They weren't banned because they were competitive to the wood-based industry, but because they were recognized as a poison, and the states didn't like people selling poison. Whether you argee that it is a poison or not, don't mess with the history.


And yes, it's spelled "Marihuana" in the Tax Act.

Do you consider aspirin a poison? Because aspirin is exponentially more "lethal" than cannabis (since aspirin has a reachable LD50 and cannabis doesn't even have a LD50 that has been reached by a human).

You'll want to re-read your local history book.

Cannabis was entirely legal until the Marihuana Tax Act. It was found in common medicines the same way that opium and cocaine were found in common medicines.

Some of our founders farmed hemp as crops, it was not a big deal. Cannabis only became a big deal when "Marihuana" was introduced to the lexicon.

Opium wasn't even regulated till 1914. The Tax act was 1937. It wasn't even ILLEGAL till the 60s.

Try not to be arrogant unless you know you are right.

Oh, and can you name a single death due to marijuana?
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 8:29:42 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/7/2011 8:22:23 PM, jat93 wrote:
At 9/7/2011 5:46:24 PM, Tiel wrote:
How is Marijuana any worse than smoking tobacco and drinking alcohol?

It generally isn't. The Drug War is an expensive failure which creates only harm. There aren't many compelling arguments for keeping marijuana illegal. There are an infinite amount of compelling arguments to legalize it, from just about every standpoint... Check out this link as a concise starting point: http://www.balancedpolitics.org...

A lot of the arguments on both sides of that are flawed.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 8:44:21 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/7/2011 8:28:03 PM, Wnope wrote:
At 9/7/2011 8:17:51 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/7/2011 8:01:34 PM, Wnope wrote:
At 9/7/2011 7:52:28 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/7/2011 7:47:06 PM, Wnope wrote:
At 9/7/2011 5:46:24 PM, Tiel wrote:
Why are Tobacco and Alcohol legal, yet Marijuana is not?

How is Marijuana any worse than smoking tobacco and drinking alcohol?

It's due to pure historical contingency.

If the Mexicans popularized smoking tobacco as cigarettes into america and hemp wasn't competitive in wood-based industries, I would bet marijuana would be legal today.

People need to stop listening to family guy.

Family Guy couldn't philosophize its way out of cardboard box. Their version of the story is simplistic.

Would you like to tell me why no one ever introduced a prohibitive tax on cannabis while the first attempt at making "marihuana" illegal went through immediately?

That doesn't matter. We didn't tax murder before making it illegal. That doesn't make it a conspriacy. While the federal government didn't get into the game until 1937, states began before the civil war.

Before the 1937 (when the federal government got involved) every state recognized the drug as a "poison" (for over 30 years in most states) and 35 states had laws against marijuana possesion of their own.

They weren't banned because they were competitive to the wood-based industry, but because they were recognized as a poison, and the states didn't like people selling poison. Whether you argee that it is a poison or not, don't mess with the history.


And yes, it's spelled "Marihuana" in the Tax Act.

Do you consider aspirin a poison? Because aspirin is exponentially more "lethal" than cannabis (since aspirin has a reachable LD50 and cannabis doesn't even have a LD50 that has been reached by a human).

Aspirin is a poison, when taken incorrectly (should be noted, the correct use of aspirin is not to get high).


You'll want to re-read your local history book.

Cannabis was entirely legal until the Marihuana Tax Act. It was found in common medicines the same way that opium and cocaine were found in common medicines.

That is not true. In 1914, New York passed a law that made cannabis only for sale by prescription, and created regulations that limited how often those prescriptions could be filled. New York was not the first, MA in 1911 was. And California made possesion of marijuana illegal (a misdomeaner) back in 1907

http://www.canorml.org...
http://www.druglibrary.org...
http://www.canorml.org...


Some of our founders farmed hemp as crops, it was not a big deal. Cannabis only became a big deal when "Marihuana" was introduced to the lexicon.

Some of our founder used slaves. That doesn't make it okay.


Opium wasn't even regulated till 1914. The Tax act was 1937. It wasn't even ILLEGAL till the 60s.

Not on a federal level, but it was on a State level.


Try not to be arrogant unless you know you are right.

Oh, and can you name a single death due to marijuana?

As a secondary (meaning that it lead to someone's death, like drunk driving deaths are attributed to alcohol), the official death toll is 279.

http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org...
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Tiel
Posts: 1,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 9:05:54 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Cannabinoids kill cancer cells and are beneficial to the human body.

http://www.gsalternative.com...

http://www.safeaccessnow.org...
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 9:07:10 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Again, my stance on this remains firm: all drugs should be legalized for use. Period.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 9:14:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/7/2011 9:07:10 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Again, my stance on this remains firm: all drugs should be legalized for use. Period.

Thats not an argument. We need to find time eventually to debate this.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 9:16:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/7/2011 9:14:08 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/7/2011 9:07:10 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Again, my stance on this remains firm: all drugs should be legalized for use. Period.

Thats not an argument. We need to find time eventually to debate this.

I wasn't exactly arguing--just chiming in.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus