Total Posts:8|Showing Posts:1-8
Jump to topic:

Ron Paul embarrassment to libertarianism

Indophile
Posts: 1,414
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 3:20:00 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
or something to that effect. Couldn't fit in the whole heading in the title.

Anyway, found this link over in the IMDB boards.

"If you were an evil genius determined to promote the idea that libertarianism is a morally dubious ideology of privilege poorly disguised as a doctrine of liberation, you'd be hard pressed to improve on Ron Paul."

http://www.tnr.com...
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 3:22:35 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
the Paul-voters aren't going to take this well. :p.....they probably won't take the results of the 2012 election well either.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 3:27:38 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/8/2011 3:22:35 PM, 000ike wrote:
the Paul-voters aren't going to take this well.

Why would we care? It's a baseless assertion without even an attempt to back it up. The attack can simply be dismissed as no argument is provided. Just a dumb comment.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 3:30:21 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/8/2011 3:27:38 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 9/8/2011 3:22:35 PM, 000ike wrote:
the Paul-voters aren't going to take this well.

Why would we care? It's a baseless assertion without even an attempt to back it up. The attack can simply be dismissed as no argument is provided. Just a dumb comment.

Why is it that so many of us don't seem to know the difference between an assertion and an opinion? ....
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 3:42:49 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/8/2011 3:30:21 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/8/2011 3:27:38 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 9/8/2011 3:22:35 PM, 000ike wrote:
the Paul-voters aren't going to take this well.

Why would we care? It's a baseless assertion without even an attempt to back it up. The attack can simply be dismissed as no argument is provided. Just a dumb comment.

Why is it that so many of us don't seem to know the difference between an assertion and an opinion? ....

In matters of facts and theories, there is no opinion and no room for opinion. Opinions are just uninformed assertions.

In matters of taste, opinion is more than welcome and perfectly valid.

In the case of the OP, it was states that Ron Paul supports a dubious position disguised as liberation and not a true Libertarian.

That is an assertion, not an opinion. It can be countered and countered quite easily in fact, that Ron Pauls philosophy isn't disguised as liberty and is in fact true Libertarianism.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 3:48:42 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I don't know what libertarians of different schools think of the other schools and their validity in the libertarian tradition. I'm a market anarchist but I don't think constitutionalist minarchism is a dubious spin on real libertarian values. I just think he's wrong about certain things. But I don't think he's like polluting libertarianism or anything. If anything he's greatly popularizing it to disenfranchized independents.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
LeafRod
Posts: 1,548
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 7:24:10 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/8/2011 3:27:38 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 9/8/2011 3:22:35 PM, 000ike wrote:
the Paul-voters aren't going to take this well.

Why would we care? It's a baseless assertion without even an attempt to back it up. The attack can simply be dismissed as no argument is provided. Just a dumb comment.

Did you read the article?
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 10:15:09 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
It's hard to embarrass libertarianism when you don't fit its definition-- as is the case for both Paul (borders among other things) and Wilkinson (taxes among other things).

Paul at least admits the problem on that particular issue and qualifies his position as a transient one (though I've never seen him do so for states rights or abortion), Wilkinson however doesn't have the integrity to either do so or shut the **** up about being a "libertarian."
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.