Jump to topic:

Obama's Jobs Plan Will Not Help the Economy

jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 10:33:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Obama's Jobs Plan is based on the same keynesian theories that were behind the failed 2009 stimulus.

Basically, it is full of temporary stimulus measures meant to increase. However, businesses don't make hiring decisions based on a short term spurt in consumer spending... Businesses hire new workers based on long term plans...

For this, we need certainty. With a massive debt, the risk of inflation, a rapidly expanding regulatory regime, and a president who continues to push for more regulations and taxes on business there is no certainty right now.

Consumers don't spend short term increases in disposable income (Permanent Income Hypothesis) and businesses don't hire based on short term increases in consumer demand...
President of DDO
Just1Voice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 12:14:03 AM
So you think that not passing the jobs plan is a superior choice? This doesn't strike me as a good time to advocate for the status quo. People are impatient. They would rather see something done, even if the effect is temporary than see nothing happen.
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 12:36:59 AM
At 9/14/2011 12:14:03 AM, Just1Voice wrote:
So you think that not passing the jobs plan is a superior choice? This doesn't strike me as a good time to advocate for the status quo. People are impatient. They would rather see something done, even if the effect is temporary than see nothing happen.

No, I would rather implement permanent policies that reduce the debt, reform regulations, and improve the tax code. The kind of things that will foster job growth...

Why is doing a bad thing superior to doing nothing?
President of DDO
Just1Voice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 1:17:33 AM
At 9/14/2011 12:36:59 AM, jimtimmy wrote:

No, I would rather implement permanent policies that reduce the debt, reform regulations, and improve the tax code. The kind of things that will foster job growth...

Your claim is that it isn't a certainty and that it appeared to be a temporary measure. There is nothing in the OP to indicate that it is "bad." It may not be as good as you feel it might be, but it is better than nothing.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 1:20:01 AM
At 9/14/2011 1:17:33 AM, Just1Voice wrote:
At 9/14/2011 12:36:59 AM, jimtimmy wrote:

Your claim is that it isn't a certainty and that it appeared to be a temporary measure. There is nothing in the OP to indicate that it is "bad." It may not be as good as you feel it might be, but it is better than nothing.

Spending .5 trillion dollars on a stimulus that doesn't work is better than nothing? The plan will increase deficits and debt and will do nearly nothing. How is that not bad?
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Just1Voice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 2:47:47 AM
I have difficulty believing the analysis on the right. It is in their often-stated interest to claim it will do nothing. The last stimulus package Obama got passed was not as well thought out as this one and it did have a positive short term effect. It arrested the free-fall that we had been experiencing.

In any case Obama was up front about that package, that it was not going to be enough and we would need to do much more. However, congress was uncooperative, and Obama had health care on the agenda next, so nothing further was done.

The Republicans have already said over and over that their first priority is to keep Obama from being re-elected. This means that they will oppose nay effort he makes to better the economy. They have destroyed their credibility and now they think the public has such a short memory that we will just buy what they say and forget what they have said in the past. But the public at large doesn't buy it. The overwhelming consensus is that it is time to do something.

What the Republicans have proposed looks an awful lot like a plan to tighten their own strangle hold over the economy and then use their advantage to break more unions and continue to coerce the rest of the government with threats of inaction until the elections. That sounds like a much worse option.

I remember well the situation when GW took office. The government had a surplus of cash, and the Bush tax cuts that were made then eliminated it. Then after 9/11 and the pursuit of Al-Quaeda, they started yet another war with Iraq and then lowered taxes yet again with wars on two fronts. How is this good fiscal responsibility? At that point they went right over the edge.

So now the wealthy who are heavily invested in the military-industrial complex pay less taxes and make a fortune from the war while the country falls deeper in debt. Did they reciprocate with their newly gained funds? Was their more hiring? Pay raises? Nope. The wealthy in this country continue to celebrate higher and higher incomes, and no one else sees a penny. Yet the Republican strategy is to simply continue to lower taxes and starve the government until it can no longer function.

How can you trust anything the Republicans are saying at this point? You can't.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 12:04:59 PM
I'll support it.
I think it has some great idea's and some that I do not like; but compromise is needed. Lets do it! Lets pass the bill.
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 6:15:27 PM

So you think that not blowing up the moon is a superior choice? This doesn't strike me as a good time to advocate for the status quo. People are impatient. They would rather see something done, even if the effect is temporary than see nothing happen.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.