THE TEN LAWS of CIVILIZATION

Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 7:35:21 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
THE TEN LAWS

1.) No person shall profit at the expense of another.

2.) No person singly, nor the commonwealth collectively, may take anything away from another by force.

3.) All natural resources shall remain the property of the state or commonwealth, and may not be claimed as a personal possession by any individual or any group of individuals not constituting the entire citizenry.

4.) Every citizen and every child thereof shall be entitled to and receive equal education, equal opportunity for the expression of his or her ability, and equal standing before the laws of the land.

5.) All advancement in position shall be based upon merit and the performance of service alone.

6.) No individual shall be entitled to retain as a personal possession anything for which he or she has not personally compensated in equal value.

7.) No individual shall have the right to operate in the environment or personal affairs of another unless asked to do so by that person. The commonwealth or government may do so only where criminal or treasonable intent can be proved, or the civil rights of another have been violated.

8.) No person may intentionally kill or injure another person, except in the defense of life or state.

9.) The sanctity of home and the union of love between individuals shall be kept inviolate.

10.) All matters affecting the commonwealth and when no violation of Law is implied or involved, the opinion of the majority shall rule, subject only to the consent of the chosen leaders whose decision shall be final.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 7:42:30 PM
At 9/14/2011 7:35:21 PM, Tiel wrote:
THE TEN LAWS

Stopped reading.

My electric bill is an "expense" as is my insurance and car payment and taxes. Are those things not allowed?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 7:42:47 PM
At 9/14/2011 7:42:30 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
THE TEN LAWS

Stopped reading.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 7:47:02 PM
THE TEN LAWS

I beg to differ. If I win the lottery at the expense of others paying 1 dollar and winning nothing, I'm not giving the money back, or making myself feel immoral.

2.) No person singly, nor the commonwealth collectively, may take anything away from another by force.

I guess a terrorist with a gun in his hand about to hijack my flight has immunity now unless I can get others to join me and sanction my attempted disarmament of the dangerous individual.

3.) All natural resources shall remain the property of the state or commonwealth, and may not be claimed as a personal possession by any individual or any group of individuals not constituting the entire citizenry.

So diamonds on my private property belong to the government?

4.) Every citizen and every child thereof shall be entitled to and receive equal education, equal opportunity for the expression of his or her ability, and equal standing before the laws of the land.

Okay. First rational law so far.

5.) All advancement in position shall be based upon merit and the performance of service alone.

By who's standards?

6.) No individual shall be entitled to retain as a personal possession anything for which he or she has not personally compensated in equal value.

So I can't win anything for free or else I am breaking the law?

7.) No individual shall have the right to operate in the environment or personal affairs of another unless asked to do so by that person. The commonwealth or government may do so only where criminal or treasonable intent can be proved, or the civil rights of another have been violated.

So a dying person on the street has a right against me helping him...

8.) No person may intentionally kill or injure another person, except in the defense of life or state.

Okay.
9.) The sanctity of home and the union of love between individuals shall be kept inviolate.

By what standards?

10.) All matters affecting the commonwealth and when no violation of Law is implied or involved, the opinion of the majority shall rule, subject only to the consent of the chosen leaders whose decision shall be final.

Authoritarian rule? No way.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 7:52:35 PM
You believe in some stupid things man.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 7:53:38 PM
THE TEN LAWS

Stopped reading.

My electric bill is an "expense" as is my insurance and car payment and taxes. Are those things not allowed?

People keep having a hard time understanding what this law means.

No person shall PROFIT at the EXPENSE of another. This means that you can't profit more than the other person from the transaction. You must both profit equally. "Equal" being defined relatively by the specific people involved towards that specific transaction. Basically, both parties being equally compensated from the exchange to the the satisfaction of both parties involved.

Also, you must read all of the laws in order to understand. They work in harmony with each other.

I didn't create these laws. I will give the source of the laws later in the forum. I do not want the source being ridiculed. I would like people to take a full unbiased review of the laws and think about what a nation who lived by these laws would look like.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 7:54:54 PM
At 9/14/2011 7:53:38 PM, Tiel wrote:
THE TEN LAWS

Stopped reading.

Lawyers will have a ball with them once they are put into place.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 8:09:50 PM
At 9/14/2011 7:47:02 PM, 000ike wrote:
THE TEN LAWS

I beg to differ. If I win the lottery at the expense of others paying 1 dollar and winning nothing, I'm not giving the money back, or making myself feel immoral.

That's not what the law means. There is no need to feel immoral. Feel immoral if you swindled someone to sell you 10 $1 lottery tickets for $5, when they spent $10 on them originally.

I guess a terrorist with a gun in his hand about to hijack my flight has immunity now unless I can get others to join me and sanction my attempted disarmament of the dangerous individual.

Are you an idiot? It's a law. Obviously the terrorist would be breaking the law and therefor subject to punishment.

So diamonds on my private property belong to the government?

Why would they be? Did you make them? No.

Okay. First rational law so far.

By who's standards?

By the standards of the shown merit and performance of service by the individual. The people decide according to that criteria.

So I can't win anything for free or else I am breaking the law?

You are getting something for free, a gift, the equal value of compensation is zero.

So a dying person on the street has a right against me helping him...

Are you really this idiotic? Moron.

Okay.

By what standards?

You have a hard time comprehending basic laws. These are basics, not details. The details of all the laws would be subject to majority vote and leadership finalization. To be voted on annually.

Authoritarian rule? No way.

It's not authoritarian you moron. It's democratic.

Now I understand how stupid some people are when it comes to understanding laws.
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 8:12:50 PM
At 9/14/2011 7:54:54 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
THE TEN LAWS

Stopped reading.

Lawyers will have a ball with them once they are put into place.

Actually the laws are very easy to enforce and understand. Even primitive people could understand them, it's a shame that the supposed intelligent people on this site can't comprehend them accurately. I understood the laws the second time I read over them. It's not that difficult.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 8:29:44 PM
Obviously there is some kind of disconnect between what you believe and what is being demonstrated.

How you coping with that cognitive dissonance?
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 8:51:46 PM
At 9/14/2011 8:29:44 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Obviously there is some kind of disconnect between what you believe and what is being demonstrated.

I've never been one to follow laws. I'm a rebel at heart.

I'm coping wonderfully. I've accomplished this glow of delight by making a mental amusement flavored ice cream cone while sitting on the sidelines of intellectual reality watching everyone befuddle themselves with the incapability of comprehending the simple laws given in this medium of information exchange.

Festinger and Piaget would be intrigued.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 9:00:18 PM

Specialization. Education needn't be equal. In fact, equality in education is inefficient. Why must the garbage collector be fluent in C#?
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 9:05:54 PM
At 9/14/2011 9:00:18 PM, wjmelements wrote:

Specialization. Education needn't be equal. In fact, equality in education is inefficient. Why must the garbage collector be fluent in C#?

Read again, this time try to actually comprehend it correctly.

The law states that all people be given equal opportunity to develop his/her individual abilities. Try reading it a few more times... I'm sure you'll get it eventually.
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 10:41:23 PM
At 9/14/2011 9:05:54 PM, Tiel wrote:

The law states that all people be given equal opportunity to develop his/her individual abilities. Try reading it a few more times... I'm sure you'll get it eventually.

What is your definition of equal here? They must learn the exact same things? They must have the same teachers? Good luck with that. You can never judge equality of something so complex.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 11:24:48 PM

The law states that all people be given equal opportunity to develop his/her individual abilities.

No, it says that they shall receive the education, not just the opportunity, which means that if one person wants to learn how to put together an electrical circuit, all people must be taught how to put together a circuit or none of the people may be taught how to put together a circuit. Do you see the inefficiency?
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 11:28:45 PM
THE TEN LAWS

Stopped reading.

No person shall PROFIT at the EXPENSE of another. This means that you can't profit more than the other person from the transaction. You must both profit equally. "Equal" being defined relatively by the specific people involved towards that specific transaction. Basically, both parties being equally compensated from the exchange to the the satisfaction of both parties involved.

Two people participate in trade because they each value what they receive more than what they pay. I personally think that my copy of The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess minus its cost is worth much more to myself personally than the profit that Nintendo made off of the game is worth to them; that means that I profitted more in this transaction. Did I just break the law and exploit Nintendo? What if someone buys a game for $50 and doesn't enjoy it, so that Nintendo benefitted more in the transaction? Is Nintendo prosecutable The law is incredibly subjective, and consistant and fair application of it would be nigh impossible.
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 6:17:10 PM
At 9/14/2011 10:41:23 PM, mongoose wrote:

What is your definition of equal here? They must learn the exact same things? They must have the same teachers? Good luck with that. You can never judge equality of something so complex.

Equal opportunity. It means that all people have the same opportunity to learn the same kinds of things. It's really not that hard to understand. Sorry that it's too complicated for you to comprehend.
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 6:21:25 PM
At 9/14/2011 11:24:48 PM, mongeese wrote:

The law states that all people be given equal opportunity to develop his/her individual abilities.

No, it says that they shall receive the education, not just the opportunity, which means that if one person wants to learn how to put together an electrical circuit, all people must be taught how to put together a circuit or none of the people may be taught how to put together a circuit. Do you see the inefficiency?

No, that's not what it means at all. How are you going to tell me what it means? I'm the one who wrote the post and has the detailed explanation of each law. It means that each person be given equal education and opportunity to develop his or her abilities as they so desire. If you do not want to learn something, that's fine, there is no law forcing you to learn any the same as the next guy. Sorry buddy, but you aren't going to try and school me on laws you don't even understand.
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 6:32:57 PM
At 9/14/2011 11:28:45 PM, mongeese wrote:
THE TEN LAWS

Stopped reading.

Two people participate in trade because they each value what they receive more than what they pay. I personally think that my copy of The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess minus its cost is worth much more to myself personally than the profit that Nintendo made off of the game is worth to them; that means that I profitted more in this transaction.

No it doesn't. Not unless both you and Nintendo felt that way at the time of the transaction. Which was impossible because if that was the case then Nintendo wouldn't have sold it to you at that price and you wouldn't have bought it at that price.

Did I just break the law and exploit Nintendo?

No.

What if someone buys a game for $50 and doesn't enjoy it, so that Nintendo benefitted more in the transaction?

Doesn't matter. They profited equally at the time of the exchange or else the item wouldn't have been purchased. Don't buy something unless you know you what you are buying. Otherwise you are throwing money at a question mark and hoping for the best.

Is Nintendo prosecutable The law is incredibly subjective, and consistant and fair application of it would be nigh impossible.

It's actually quite simple. The laws were written thousands of years ago, before their was a set currency exchange value. It's easy to determine this law in today's society. The currency system makes it far easier than it ever was before. Now bartering comes down to numbers. Numbers are easy to manage.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 6:43:14 PM
Something can be learned about written laws from this topic alone.
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 7:22:45 PM
At 9/15/2011 6:43:14 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Something can be learned about written laws from this topic alone.

Can you elaborate on that thought?

I am interested to hear what you have to say. I find your perspectives to be intriguing.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 7:56:18 PM
Oh, I'm sure you can figure it out. Look at how these laws might have intended to be, and look at how people interpret them.

This is one of the major problems of humanity.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 9:27:15 PM
At 9/14/2011 8:51:46 PM, Tiel wrote:
At 9/14/2011 8:29:44 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

I've never been one to follow laws. I'm a rebel at heart.

I'm coping wonderfully. I've accomplished this glow of delight by making a mental amusement flavored ice cream cone while sitting on the sidelines of intellectual reality watching everyone befuddle themselves with the incapability of comprehending the simple laws given in this medium of information exchange.

Festinger and Piaget would be intrigued.

So...you're a color commentator?
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 9:45:25 PM
At 9/15/2011 7:56:18 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Oh, I'm sure you can figure it out. Look at how these laws might have intended to be, and look at how people interpret them.

This is one of the major problems of humanity.

I see the wisdom in your words. I agree. It is a shame.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 10:27:07 PM
At 9/15/2011 6:32:57 PM, Tiel wrote:
THE TEN LAWS

Stopped reading.

Two people participate in trade because they each value what they receive more than what they pay. I personally think that my copy of The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess minus its cost is worth much more to myself personally than the profit that Nintendo made off of the game is worth to them; that means that I profitted more in this transaction.

No it doesn't. Not unless both you and Nintendo felt that way at the time of the transaction. Which was impossible because if that was the case then Nintendo wouldn't have sold it to you at that price and you wouldn't have bought it at that price.

Nintendo didn't know how much I valued the game when I bought it. All they knew was that I valued it at at least its price. Should they screen every customer to calculate exactly how much they would value the game, then adjust the price accordingly?

No.

But I profitted from the transaction at their expense.

What if someone buys a game for $50 and doesn't enjoy it, so that Nintendo benefitted more in the transaction?

Doesn't matter. They profited equally at the time of the exchange or else the item wouldn't have been purchased. Don't buy something unless you know you what you are buying. Otherwise you are throwing money at a question mark and hoping for the best.

If you insist that every transaction must have had equal profit, then what's the point of the law in the first place?

Is Nintendo prosecutable The law is incredibly subjective, and consistant and fair application of it would be nigh impossible.

It's actually quite simple. The laws were written thousands of years ago, before their was a set currency exchange value.

Where? By whom?

It's easy to determine this law in today's society. The currency system makes it far easier than it ever was before. Now bartering comes down to numbers. Numbers are easy to manage.

You can reduce the happiness that a game brings me to numbers? How?
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 10:28:30 PM
At 9/15/2011 6:21:25 PM, Tiel wrote:

No, that's not what it means at all. How are you going to tell me what it means? I'm the one who wrote the post and has the detailed explanation of each law.

Yet you claim it was written thousands of years ago. What makes you the interpreter, then?

It means that each person be given equal education and opportunity to develop his or her abilities as they so desire. If you do not want to learn something, that's fine, there is no law forcing you to learn any the same as the next guy. Sorry buddy, but you aren't going to try and school me on laws you don't even understand.

So what happens if I want to teach someone else how to program, but wouldn't be able to teach everybody how to program?
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 10:52:39 PM
At 9/15/2011 6:17:10 PM, Tiel wrote:

Equal opportunity. It means that all people have the same opportunity to learn the same kinds of things. It's really not that hard to understand. Sorry that it's too complicated for you to comprehend.

What you originally said says "equal education" AND that other stuff. It means that everybody must get equal education. The bolded can stand as a sentence of its own, regardless of the rest of the sentece.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 4:34:39 PM
At 9/15/2011 10:52:39 PM, mongoose wrote:
At 9/15/2011 6:17:10 PM, Tiel wrote:

What you originally said says "equal education" AND that other stuff. It means that everybody must get equal education. The bolded can stand as a sentence of its own, regardless of the rest of the sentece.

Just because you are entitled to something that doesn't mean you have to use it. Would you like the original writer to reorganize his wording so that you can better comprehend the meaning? Maybe there should be a children's version of the ten laws, that way you can understand. The laws already have their meaning. The meaning is not open for interpretation. The author can word it multiple different ways and it isn't going to change the meaning. First, you must actually possess the intelligence to understand the meaning.

Like I said, it isn't that difficult to understand. Maybe their should indeed be a children's version, so the intellectually challenged minds can understand the meanings. I didn't think I would need to change anything considering the supposed average intelligence level of this site. It's like Cosmic said, it goes to show you how much trouble people have with understanding the meaning of laws.
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 4:40:43 PM
At 9/15/2011 10:27:07 PM, mongeese wrote:
At 9/15/2011 6:32:57 PM, Tiel wrote:
THE TEN LAWS

Stopped reading.

Nintendo didn't know how much I valued the game when I bought it. All they knew was that I valued it at at least its price. Should they screen every customer to calculate exactly how much they would value the game, then adjust the price accordingly?

No.

But I profitted from the transaction at their expense.

If you insist that every transaction must have had equal profit, then what's the point of the law in the first place?

It's actually quite simple. The laws were written thousands of years ago, before their was a set currency exchange value.

Where? By whom?

It's easy to determine this law in today's society. The currency system makes it far easier than it ever was before. Now bartering comes down to numbers. Numbers are easy to manage.

You can reduce the happiness that a game brings me to numbers? How?

You can't seriously be this dense. It has nothing to do with me reducing anything. It's about the exchange. The company put a price on the game. You agreed to purchase it at the price. That shows that both parties profited equally. If not, the transaction wouldn't have happened. The laws were written back when bartering was the system of exchange. Monetary currency has simplified this law. Quit trying to turn it into something that it isn't. It only makes you look less intelligent to those people who actually comprehend the law.
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 4:46:09 PM
At 9/15/2011 10:28:30 PM, mongeese wrote:
At 9/15/2011 6:21:25 PM, Tiel wrote:

No, that's not what it means at all. How are you going to tell me what it means? I'm the one who wrote the post and has the detailed explanation of each law.

Yet you claim it was written thousands of years ago. What makes you the interpreter, then?

I'm not the interpreter. The explanations are all given in detail in the text. I know the meanings because I have the texts which explain the meanings.

It means that each person be given equal education and opportunity to develop his or her abilities as they so desire. If you do not want to learn something, that's fine, there is no law forcing you to learn any the same as the next guy. Sorry buddy, but you aren't going to try and school me on laws you don't even understand.

So what happens if I want to teach someone else how to program, but wouldn't be able to teach everybody how to program?

Again, you continue to misunderstand. The same education is available to everyone to develop their abilities through schools that are available to everyone. It's not that hard to comprehend. Basically it's public schooling for everyone on all subjects that are able to be taught to anyone.