Jump to topic:

The Bell Curve (the Book)

jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 5:07:10 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I just finished re-reading Charles Murray's and Richard Hernstein's The Bell Curve.

I thought that they were correct on these things:

1) IQ is significantly Genetic
2) IQ does Measure a relevant thing
3) IQ plays a heavy role in determing outcomes (crime, income, etc.)
4) IQ differences between groups are both genetic and environmental (they only implied this one)
5) This means that many social programs, meant to increase the lot of the disadvantaged, are somewhat useless
6) Poverty is more genetic than environmental...
President of DDO
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 5:10:02 PM
Reading a whole book on one particular stance will certainly give the impression that its irrefutably correct. Try reading a book of equal length on the opposite stance and then take another look at the issue.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 5:16:38 PM
At 9/15/2011 5:10:02 PM, 000ike wrote:
Reading a whole book on one particular stance will certainly give the impression that its irrefutably correct. Try reading a book of equal length on the opposite stance and then take another look at the issue.

These are just my personal conclusions...
President of DDO
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 5:20:06 PM
At 9/15/2011 5:16:38 PM, jimtimmy wrote:

Personal conclusions under the influence of the massive onslaught of one-sided arguments you call a "book". Read 2 books, where the other prevents the opposite case, and then all is well.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 5:20:52 PM
Presents* the opposite case....
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 5:34:00 PM
It's a landmark book. I started reading it at home but never got finished, I'll have to get it up to school sometime. What good books are there that successfully rebut it? IQ is well acknowledged in the scientific community to be significantly heritable.
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 5:43:02 PM
At 9/15/2011 5:20:06 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/15/2011 5:16:38 PM, jimtimmy wrote:

Personal conclusions under the influence of the massive onslaught of one-sided arguments you call a "book". Read 2 books, where the other prevents the opposite case, and then all is well.

I have to go with OMG on this. Even though I haven't read a full opposing book. I have read many articles, cases, etc. They aren't very strong...

Science is in agreement that IQ is largely heritable... There are huge correlations with Income, etc...

And, honestly, there is no reason to believe that group differences arent somewhat genetic too...

These are my conclusions, but a vast majority of scientists happen to agree with me as well...
President of DDO
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 10:16:15 PM
At 9/15/2011 5:20:06 PM, 000ike wrote:

Okay, what books?