Total Posts:74|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

What is Obama actually doing?

Yarely
Posts: 329
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 7:53:16 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'm sorry but I'm uninformed
"Anarchism stands for the liberation of the human mind from the dominion of religion and liberation of the human body from the coercion of property; liberation from the shackles and restraint of government. It stands for a social order based on the free grouping of individuals""
-Emma Goldman
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 8:01:58 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Ruining the country... as if it needed any help.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 11:47:09 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Probably having breakfast in the White House, lol.

But seriously, he did implement many new policies: because of him insurance companies can no longer refuse to cover pre-existing conditions, he directed military leaders to end the war in Iraq, Osama is dead, families have unrestricted rights to visit family and send money to Cuba, he released presidential records, the list goes on and on.
jimtimmy
Posts: 3,953
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 1:18:00 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/16/2011 11:47:09 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Probably having breakfast in the White House, lol.

But seriously, he did implement many new policies: because of him insurance companies can no longer refuse to cover pre-existing conditions, he directed military leaders to end the war in Iraq, Osama is dead, families have unrestricted rights to visit family and send money to Cuba, he released presidential records, the list goes on and on.

Don't forget the massive increase in the National Debt, High Unemployment, Regulatory Uncertainty, and Failed Stimulus.
President of DDO
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 2:16:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Oh yeah, he's basically sitting the oval office figuring out his next plot to ruin your lives and kill America... He's a member of the Universal Association of Super Villains, and he needs to be stopped, where's superman when you need em?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 2:27:54 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/16/2011 2:16:07 PM, 000ike wrote:
Oh yeah, he's basically sitting the oval office figuring out his next plot to ruin your lives and kill America... He's a member of the Universal Association of Super Villains, and he needs to be stopped, where's superman when you need em?

huh?
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Yarely
Posts: 329
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 2:42:54 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/16/2011 11:47:09 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Probably having breakfast in the White House, lol.

But seriously, he did implement many new policies: because of him insurance companies can no longer refuse to cover pre-existing conditions, he directed military leaders to end the war in Iraq, Osama is dead, families have unrestricted rights to visit family and send money to Cuba, he released presidential records, the list goes on and on.
Thanks! :D
"Anarchism stands for the liberation of the human mind from the dominion of religion and liberation of the human body from the coercion of property; liberation from the shackles and restraint of government. It stands for a social order based on the free grouping of individuals""
-Emma Goldman
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 2:59:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Gone a small way towards reversing America's fvcked up healthcare system. Other that that, small fixes, bad economic policy and failing.
Lickdafoot
Posts: 5,599
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 3:14:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/16/2011 11:47:09 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Probably having breakfast in the White House, lol.

But seriously, he did implement many new policies: because of him insurance companies can no longer refuse to cover pre-existing conditions, he directed military leaders to end the war in Iraq, Osama is dead, families have unrestricted rights to visit family and send money to Cuba, he released presidential records, the list goes on and on.

wow, i didn't know that. that is so excellent to me. my mom has brain cancer and if she decided to stop working at her job, she wouldn't have been able to get new insurance. thats awesome to be honest. i'm delighted!!!
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
Indophile
Posts: 1,414
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 3:18:25 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/16/2011 3:14:01 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
At 9/16/2011 11:47:09 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Probably having breakfast in the White House, lol.

But seriously, he did implement many new policies: because of him insurance companies can no longer refuse to cover pre-existing conditions, he directed military leaders to end the war in Iraq, Osama is dead, families have unrestricted rights to visit family and send money to Cuba, he released presidential records, the list goes on and on.

wow, i didn't know that. that is so excellent to me. my mom has brain cancer and if she decided to stop working at her job, she wouldn't have been able to get new insurance. thats awesome to be honest. i'm delighted!!!

So, will you vote for him now that you know this?
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 3:19:09 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/16/2011 3:14:01 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
At 9/16/2011 11:47:09 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Probably having breakfast in the White House, lol.

But seriously, he did implement many new policies: because of him insurance companies can no longer refuse to cover pre-existing conditions, he directed military leaders to end the war in Iraq, Osama is dead, families have unrestricted rights to visit family and send money to Cuba, he released presidential records, the list goes on and on.

wow, i didn't know that. that is so excellent to me. my mom has brain cancer and if she decided to stop working at her job, she wouldn't have been able to get new insurance. thats awesome to be honest. i'm delighted!!!

Nice to hear that. Here is the source where I got it from: Politifact, and it is pretty unbiased because it also mentions all of his failures as well.
http://www.politifact.com...-/
jimtimmy
Posts: 3,953
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 3:21:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/16/2011 3:19:09 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 9/16/2011 3:14:01 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
At 9/16/2011 11:47:09 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Probably having breakfast in the White House, lol.

But seriously, he did implement many new policies: because of him insurance companies can no longer refuse to cover pre-existing conditions, he directed military leaders to end the war in Iraq, Osama is dead, families have unrestricted rights to visit family and send money to Cuba, he released presidential records, the list goes on and on.

wow, i didn't know that. that is so excellent to me. my mom has brain cancer and if she decided to stop working at her job, she wouldn't have been able to get new insurance. thats awesome to be honest. i'm delighted!!!

Nice to hear that. Here is the source where I got it from: Politifact, and it is pretty unbiased because it also mentions all of his failures as well.
http://www.politifact.com...-/

Politifact is hardly unbiased...
President of DDO
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 3:32:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/16/2011 7:53:16 AM, Yarely wrote:
I'm sorry but I'm uninformed

You're not much less informed than most people.

Washington is really good at doing tons of work that leads to no actual effect.

For instance, an Obama critic might say "Obama has done nothing about Guantanamo." In a recent Republican primary debate on candidate mentioned that he agreed with Obama for "not closing Guantanamo." Well, not quite. The thing is that "Obama does x" does not lead to "policy y is executed."

Obama can sign an executive order and talk to as many congressmen as he likes, but it is impossible for him to close guantanamo with Republican appropriation committees going along, and they refuse.

Likewise, Obama can put forward a jobs bill and talk to as many congressmen individually as he likes, the net effect is null without external actors like congress going along for the ride.

Politicians in the spotlight are some of the busiest people alive, but that doesn't translate to any work unless the stars align.
Lickdafoot
Posts: 5,599
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 3:32:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/16/2011 3:18:25 PM, Indophile wrote:
At 9/16/2011 3:14:01 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
At 9/16/2011 11:47:09 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Probably having breakfast in the White House, lol.

But seriously, he did implement many new policies: because of him insurance companies can no longer refuse to cover pre-existing conditions, he directed military leaders to end the war in Iraq, Osama is dead, families have unrestricted rights to visit family and send money to Cuba, he released presidential records, the list goes on and on.

wow, i didn't know that. that is so excellent to me. my mom has brain cancer and if she decided to stop working at her job, she wouldn't have been able to get new insurance. thats awesome to be honest. i'm delighted!!!

So, will you vote for him now that you know this?

no that would not be my deciding factor
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 3:35:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/16/2011 3:14:01 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
At 9/16/2011 11:47:09 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Probably having breakfast in the White House, lol.

But seriously, he did implement many new policies: because of him insurance companies can no longer refuse to cover pre-existing conditions, he directed military leaders to end the war in Iraq, Osama is dead, families have unrestricted rights to visit family and send money to Cuba, he released presidential records, the list goes on and on.

wow, i didn't know that. that is so excellent to me. my mom has brain cancer and if she decided to stop working at her job, she wouldn't have been able to get new insurance. thats awesome to be honest. i'm delighted!!!

Depends, your mothers condition might be "grandfathered" into the bill. You should check the specifics.

Employer-based insurance isn't quite the same as individual-based insurance, so while your mother may not keep her insurance, she cannot be stopped from getting new insurance.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 3:54:54 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/16/2011 3:32:30 PM, Wnope wrote:
At 9/16/2011 7:53:16 AM, Yarely wrote:
I'm sorry but I'm uninformed

You're not much less informed than most people.

Washington is really good at doing tons of work that leads to no actual effect.

For instance, an Obama critic might say "Obama has done nothing about Guantanamo." In a recent Republican primary debate on candidate mentioned that he agreed with Obama for "not closing Guantanamo." Well, not quite. The thing is that "Obama does x" does not lead to "policy y is executed."

Obama can sign an executive order and talk to as many congressmen as he likes, but it is impossible for him to close guantanamo with Republican appropriation committees going along, and they refuse.

Likewise, Obama can put forward a jobs bill and talk to as many congressmen individually as he likes, the net effect is null without external actors like congress going along for the ride.

Politicians in the spotlight are some of the busiest people alive, but that doesn't translate to any work unless the stars align.

So you're saying he's ineffective and useless?
Lickdafoot
Posts: 5,599
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 3:56:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/16/2011 3:35:01 PM, Wnope wrote:

Depends, your mothers condition might be "grandfathered" into the bill. You should check the specifics.

Employer-based insurance isn't quite the same as individual-based insurance, so while your mother may not keep her insurance, she cannot be stopped from getting new insurance.

oh, thanks i'll be looking more into it. yeah, she gets insurance now with her job but if she were to stop working there, she thought she couldn't find new insurance because of her pre-existing condition. hopefully this bill will help her.
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 4:04:17 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/16/2011 3:54:54 PM, innomen wrote:
At 9/16/2011 3:32:30 PM, Wnope wrote:
At 9/16/2011 7:53:16 AM, Yarely wrote:
I'm sorry but I'm uninformed

You're not much less informed than most people.

Washington is really good at doing tons of work that leads to no actual effect.

For instance, an Obama critic might say "Obama has done nothing about Guantanamo." In a recent Republican primary debate on candidate mentioned that he agreed with Obama for "not closing Guantanamo." Well, not quite. The thing is that "Obama does x" does not lead to "policy y is executed."

Obama can sign an executive order and talk to as many congressmen as he likes, but it is impossible for him to close guantanamo with Republican appropriation committees going along, and they refuse.

Likewise, Obama can put forward a jobs bill and talk to as many congressmen individually as he likes, the net effect is null without external actors like congress going along for the ride.

Politicians in the spotlight are some of the busiest people alive, but that doesn't translate to any work unless the stars align.

So you're saying he's ineffective and useless?

I'm referring to all politicians and all of politics. Appearances can be deceiving.
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 4:05:20 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/16/2011 3:56:29 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
At 9/16/2011 3:35:01 PM, Wnope wrote:

Depends, your mothers condition might be "grandfathered" into the bill. You should check the specifics.

Employer-based insurance isn't quite the same as individual-based insurance, so while your mother may not keep her insurance, she cannot be stopped from getting new insurance.

oh, thanks i'll be looking more into it. yeah, she gets insurance now with her job but if she were to stop working there, she thought she couldn't find new insurance because of her pre-existing condition. hopefully this bill will help her.

In that sense, it will definitely help her. New insurance plans have to cover pre-existing. It's when you talk about plans already in existence that things get muddled.
jimtimmy
Posts: 3,953
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 4:12:09 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/16/2011 3:35:01 PM, Wnope wrote:
At 9/16/2011 3:14:01 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
At 9/16/2011 11:47:09 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Probably having breakfast in the White House, lol.

But seriously, he did implement many new policies: because of him insurance companies can no longer refuse to cover pre-existing conditions, he directed military leaders to end the war in Iraq, Osama is dead, families have unrestricted rights to visit family and send money to Cuba, he released presidential records, the list goes on and on.

wow, i didn't know that. that is so excellent to me. my mom has brain cancer and if she decided to stop working at her job, she wouldn't have been able to get new insurance. thats awesome to be honest. i'm delighted!!!

Depends, your mothers condition might be "grandfathered" into the bill. You should check the specifics.

Employer-based insurance isn't quite the same as individual-based insurance, so while your mother may not keep her insurance, she cannot be stopped from getting new insurance.

Everyone is forgetting that this "mandate" will drive up costs dramatically...
President of DDO
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 4:17:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/16/2011 4:12:09 PM, jimtimmy wrote:
At 9/16/2011 3:35:01 PM, Wnope wrote:
At 9/16/2011 3:14:01 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
At 9/16/2011 11:47:09 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Probably having breakfast in the White House, lol.

But seriously, he did implement many new policies: because of him insurance companies can no longer refuse to cover pre-existing conditions, he directed military leaders to end the war in Iraq, Osama is dead, families have unrestricted rights to visit family and send money to Cuba, he released presidential records, the list goes on and on.

wow, i didn't know that. that is so excellent to me. my mom has brain cancer and if she decided to stop working at her job, she wouldn't have been able to get new insurance. thats awesome to be honest. i'm delighted!!!

Depends, your mothers condition might be "grandfathered" into the bill. You should check the specifics.

Employer-based insurance isn't quite the same as individual-based insurance, so while your mother may not keep her insurance, she cannot be stopped from getting new insurance.

Everyone is forgetting that this "mandate" will drive up costs dramatically...

It is a small price to pay for a huge benefit. Just consider the people who can't get insurance because of a pre-existing condition. It must be a nightmare for them. If you or someone you know falls into this category, then the benefits are enormous and the price is small. People with no pre-existing conditions can shop around for insurance and pick the one they want, so it is not a big deal for that category. For instance, I know I can get insurance from anyone, so I will pick the lowest price available and wont mind the price increase.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 4:20:57 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/16/2011 4:12:09 PM, jimtimmy wrote:
At 9/16/2011 3:35:01 PM, Wnope wrote:
At 9/16/2011 3:14:01 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
At 9/16/2011 11:47:09 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Probably having breakfast in the White House, lol.

But seriously, he did implement many new policies: because of him insurance companies can no longer refuse to cover pre-existing conditions, he directed military leaders to end the war in Iraq, Osama is dead, families have unrestricted rights to visit family and send money to Cuba, he released presidential records, the list goes on and on.

wow, i didn't know that. that is so excellent to me. my mom has brain cancer and if she decided to stop working at her job, she wouldn't have been able to get new insurance. thats awesome to be honest. i'm delighted!!!

Depends, your mothers condition might be "grandfathered" into the bill. You should check the specifics.

Employer-based insurance isn't quite the same as individual-based insurance, so while your mother may not keep her insurance, she cannot be stopped from getting new insurance.

Everyone is forgetting that this "mandate" will drive up costs dramatically...

Prices have been driving up themselves like crazy, in the double digit of percentage for years. This is actually not likely to raise prices, because our healthcare system is set up so that whether you have insurance or not, you get treated.

All the people that don't have insurance, are still getting treated, and you are still paying for it. This mandates those people to at least pay something in, which would actually lower your cost (this the cost out will be the same, but more people paying in). This will also encourage those people to get preventative care (since they are now forced to be insured) which is ultimately cheaper than major medical care.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
jimtimmy
Posts: 3,953
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 4:25:17 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/16/2011 4:20:57 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/16/2011 4:12:09 PM, jimtimmy wrote:
At 9/16/2011 3:35:01 PM, Wnope wrote:
At 9/16/2011 3:14:01 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
At 9/16/2011 11:47:09 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Probably having breakfast in the White House, lol.

But seriously, he did implement many new policies: because of him insurance companies can no longer refuse to cover pre-existing conditions, he directed military leaders to end the war in Iraq, Osama is dead, families have unrestricted rights to visit family and send money to Cuba, he released presidential records, the list goes on and on.

wow, i didn't know that. that is so excellent to me. my mom has brain cancer and if she decided to stop working at her job, she wouldn't have been able to get new insurance. thats awesome to be honest. i'm delighted!!!

Depends, your mothers condition might be "grandfathered" into the bill. You should check the specifics.

Employer-based insurance isn't quite the same as individual-based insurance, so while your mother may not keep her insurance, she cannot be stopped from getting new insurance.

Everyone is forgetting that this "mandate" will drive up costs dramatically...

Prices have been driving up themselves like crazy, in the double digit of percentage for years. This is actually not likely to raise prices, because our healthcare system is set up so that whether you have insurance or not, you get treated.

All the people that don't have insurance, are still getting treated, and you are still paying for it. This mandates those people to at least pay something in, which would actually lower your cost (this the cost out will be the same, but more people paying in). This will also encourage those people to get preventative care (since they are now forced to be insured) which is ultimately cheaper than major medical care.

The reason costs have been skyrocketing is government regulations and distortions that have led to third party payers dominating the market... Removing people from directly paying their own costs..

This is why we need to move towards Health Savings Accounts that will force individuals to be cost-concious on their own. Singapore has done this and it has contributed to their very low HC costs (3.5% of GDP)...
President of DDO
Grape
Posts: 989
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 4:26:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/16/2011 11:47:09 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Probably having breakfast in the White House, lol.

But seriously, he did implement many new policies: because of him insurance companies can no longer refuse to cover pre-existing conditions, he directed military leaders to end the war in Iraq, Osama is dead, families have unrestricted rights to visit family and send money to Cuba, he released presidential records, the list goes on and on.

If you have any idea what the word "insurance" actually means, it's obvious why this is an extremely bad thing. Insurance allows people to pool their risk of unexpected costs, and they pay a certain surcharge to the insurance company in exchange for mitigating their risk. If you already have a condition, that's not a risk. It's like trying to by car insurance after you already wrecked your car. Requiring insurance companies to let people with these conditions buy insurance just raises the total cost of insurance without insuring anything. The only possible result of this policy is a relative increase in the cost of healthcare. There is a similar outcome when people try to buy "insurance" for things like yearly check-ups that aren't a risk at all.

Everyone wants to get $100 dollars of healthcare per $20 dollars they pay in insurance, but it should be pretty damn obvious why not everyone can do that.

I will give credit to Obama for the relaxation of some of the restrictions on trade with Cuba. On war, he has basically continued Bush's (disastrous) policies.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 4:47:06 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/16/2011 4:26:29 PM, Grape wrote:
At 9/16/2011 11:47:09 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Probably having breakfast in the White House, lol.

But seriously, he did implement many new policies: because of him insurance companies can no longer refuse to cover pre-existing conditions, he directed military leaders to end the war in Iraq, Osama is dead, families have unrestricted rights to visit family and send money to Cuba, he released presidential records, the list goes on and on.

If you have any idea what the word "insurance" actually means, it's obvious why this is an extremely bad thing. Insurance allows people to pool their risk of unexpected costs, and they pay a certain surcharge to the insurance company in exchange for mitigating their risk. If you already have a condition, that's not a risk. It's like trying to by car insurance after you already wrecked your car. Requiring insurance companies to let people with these conditions buy insurance just raises the total cost of insurance without insuring anything. The only possible result of this policy is a relative increase in the cost of healthcare. There is a similar outcome when people try to buy "insurance" for things like yearly check-ups that aren't a risk at all.

Everyone wants to get $100 dollars of healthcare per $20 dollars they pay in insurance, but it should be pretty damn obvious why not everyone can do that.

I will give credit to Obama for the relaxation of some of the restrictions on trade with Cuba. On war, he has basically continued Bush's (disastrous) policies.

How exactly did they define "pre-existing condition". If your born with a condition, your kind of sh!t out of luck. If you don't have health insurance, find out you have cancer, and then decide to get health insurance then yea, your fault.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Grape
Posts: 989
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 5:46:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/16/2011 4:47:06 PM, darkkermit wrote:

How exactly did they define "pre-existing condition". If your born with a condition, your kind of sh!t out of luck. If you don't have health insurance, find out you have cancer, and then decide to get health insurance then yea, your fault.

From the perspective of economics, it doesn't matter when you got the condition or if it's your fault. If you already have a condition, you can't be insured against it because that flies in the face of what the word "insurance" means.
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 5:53:02 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
For a person who holds the highest office in the U.S. they actually don't have a lot of power.
Absolutely everything has to go through congress and the legislative process. Look at the system:
http://usgovinfo.about.com...

Wouldn't it be much more effective if the president had unlimited power?
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 5:55:54 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/16/2011 5:53:02 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
For a person who holds the highest office in the U.S. they actually don't have a lot of power.
Absolutely everything has to go through congress and the legislative process. Look at the system:
http://usgovinfo.about.com...

Wouldn't it be much more effective if the president had unlimited power?

That's talking about legislating laws, the sole responsibility of Congress. This says nothing of the way the entire government, or the executive branch, operates.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,264
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 5:57:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/16/2011 5:46:48 PM, Grape wrote:
At 9/16/2011 4:47:06 PM, darkkermit wrote:

How exactly did they define "pre-existing condition". If your born with a condition, your kind of sh!t out of luck. If you don't have health insurance, find out you have cancer, and then decide to get health insurance then yea, your fault.

From the perspective of economics, it doesn't matter when you got the condition or if it's your fault. If you already have a condition, you can't be insured against it because that flies in the face of what the word "insurance" means.

Don't we already have government run, tax-funded "charities" to cover uninsured sick people to some extent?
quarterexchange
Posts: 1,549
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 5:58:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/16/2011 3:14:01 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
At 9/16/2011 11:47:09 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Probably having breakfast in the White House, lol.

But seriously, he did implement many new policies: because of him insurance companies can no longer refuse to cover pre-existing conditions, he directed military leaders to end the war in Iraq, Osama is dead, families have unrestricted rights to visit family and send money to Cuba, he released presidential records, the list goes on and on.

wow, i didn't know that. that is so excellent to me. my mom has brain cancer and if she decided to stop working at her job, she wouldn't have been able to get new insurance. thats awesome to be honest. i'm delighted!!!

You do understand that it defeats the entire point of insurance in the first place, right? As a result insurance companies are going to probably have to either increase their rates to pay for the addtional coverage and/or offer less coverage for the same rates.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.