Total Posts:10|Showing Posts:1-10
Jump to topic:

confused about Libertarianism

Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 5:29:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Ok, so is libertarianism left wing or right wing. I have conflicting reports.
Thanks guys.

Also, completely unrelated but can anyone link one of the "official" DDO political compasses?
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
jimtimmy
Posts: 3,953
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 5:32:44 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/16/2011 5:29:53 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Ok, so is libertarianism left wing or right wing. I have conflicting reports.
Thanks guys.


Also, completely unrelated but can anyone link one of the "official" DDO political compasses?

It is ambiguous.... It can be left or right...

There are anarcho capitalists and anarcho communists..
President of DDO
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 5:37:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Using the Nolan Chart, libertarianism is actually up on the spectrum--neither left nor right.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 5:37:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/16/2011 5:34:50 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Relevant: http://www.debate.org...

Interesting thanks
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 5:43:11 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Libertarinism is about social freedoms. The right to do what you want.

However, most people that classify themselves are libertarians are on the right. Actually "liberal" used to be modern day libertarinism, and "libertarian" used to refer to the left-leaning. However, Roosevelt stole the term liberal, so libertarian stole the term as well.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 5:43:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Libertarianism is not a single ideology just like totalitarianism isn't. If we're talking about American libertarianism, it's generally an economic right wing and socially left wing, and anti-statist ideology(The Old Right, Milton Friedman). In Europe though it seems to be an economically and socially left wing, though anti-statist ideology(Noam Chomsky, libertarian socialism).
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 5:44:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/16/2011 5:34:50 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Relevant: http://www.debate.org...

Have you no shame? ;)
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
jtightlips24
Posts: 3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2013 12:29:13 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
The difference is that a Leftist Libertarian is more concerned about the rights of the individuals body and leary of private property. While the Right Libertarian is more concerned about property rights, where one is allowed to own as much property as they are able, and are entitled to protection by law enforcement.

So I would say that Constitutional libertarianism is right in the Middle. On one hand, everyone should have the right to own a house, and have absolute sovereignty without interference of outside entities. Yet on the other hand, too much ownership of entities that the public makes use of allows the owners to tyrannize the public.

How to best give an analogy. You own a house that you live in and use, would you want unwanted intruders, and not be able to do anything about it? Would you want someone being able to steal your television, spraypaint your house, or forcing you to talk to them? However on the other hand, lets say you cannot own a house, and you have to rent, would it be fair to have to be subjected in a totalitarian fashion to a landlord, just because of a low income?