Jump to topic:

Moral Case for Private Property

jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2011 4:48:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I am a supporter of Private Property. This is because, historically, Private Property has proven to be a very good system for boosting standard of living and economic growth...

However, I don't see the moral justification for it. Libertarians claim that Private Property is the moral center of everything... in the Lockean Traditon...

But, where does property come from... Is it some guy just found some land and said it was his and all of the sudden he owns this area???
President of DDO
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2011 4:51:38 PM
If you plant crops in a place not currently property, you get a farm. It's not about claiming, you have to mix your labor.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2011 4:53:50 PM
At 9/19/2011 4:48:01 PM, jimtimmy wrote:
I am a supporter of Private Property. This is because, historically, Private Property has proven to be a very good system for boosting standard of living and economic growth...

However, I don't see the moral justification for it. Libertarians claim that Private Property is the moral center of everything... in the Lockean Traditon...

But, where does property come from... Is it some guy just found some land and said it was his and all of the sudden he owns this area???

Morals are subjective. Meaning you can pick and choose your own moral code. And so you can choose a moral code that fits with private property (like the NAP).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"