Jump to topic:

Good done by a politician

Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2011 3:35:33 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Is there any good act that a politician has done that can be attributed to him/her alone?

It should not be an unintentionally good thing, but good because of the direct consequence of that politician, and without whom that good thing cannot have happened.

This is in regards to a lot of arguments I've heard lately that most of the good things done by some president is because of policies carried out in previous terms, or the intention was something else and something else happened entirely, or due to various external factors, the good got facilitated, etc.
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2011 3:42:31 PM
I don't mean to circumvent the original question, but are all politicians bad? Does being an elected official make one a politician? and aren't political strategies brought about surrounding what the people want to hear and are susceptible to? so wouldn't that make the people to blame for requiring elected officials to become politicians to be elected in the first place?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2011 3:52:09 PM
If they do stuff and it's publicized, is it all that good?

I know John Kerry does stuff for charity, and is in the local news about it everytime his yacht docks at his mansion in Nantucket, so he can do some bike race for charity, but is it really that good when we find out about it?

On the otherhand i understand that Scott Brown does some stuff for either vets or enlisted guys, and it's more on the down low.
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2011 3:58:19 PM
At 9/20/2011 3:52:09 PM, innomen wrote:

I know John Kerry does stuff for charity, and is in the local news about it everytime his yacht docks at his mansion in Nantucket, so he can do some bike race for charity, but is it really that good when we find out about it?

On the otherhand i understand that Scott Brown does some stuff for either vets or enlisted guys, and it's more on the down low.

I'm not talking about private charitable events. I'm talking about acts done because they are politicians, which means, because they were in power.
And it will be true.
kohai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2011 3:58:52 PM
If the person publicizes it, is he doing it for the right reasons? That is the question!
1) Whatever has contradictory attributes does not exist.
2) The Biblical God has contradictory attributes.
3) Therefore, the Biblical God does not exist
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2011 4:06:11 PM
At 9/20/2011 3:58:19 PM, Indophile wrote:

I'm not talking about private charitable events. I'm talking about acts done because they are politicians, which means, because they were in power.

Well that only means how effective they are in carrying out the agenda that you would agree with, it has nothing to do with doing good.
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2011 4:10:51 PM
At 9/20/2011 4:06:11 PM, innomen wrote:

Well that only means how effective they are in carrying out the agenda that you would agree with, it has nothing to do with doing good.

Well, you have the whole of history to pick from. Don't restrict yourself to the here and now.

Also, with this thought, you are really saying that a politician is inherently uses. He just follows the "public sentiment", or just ends up doing bad.
And it will be true.
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2011 4:11:15 PM
At 9/20/2011 4:10:51 PM, Indophile wrote:
At 9/20/2011 4:06:11 PM, innomen wrote:

Well, you have the whole of history to pick from. Don't restrict yourself to the here and now.

Also, with this thought, you are really saying that a politician is inherently useless. He just follows the "public sentiment", or just ends up doing bad.

Fixed
And it will be true.
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2011 4:08:50 PM
C'mon, is there nothing good ever done by a politician?

The forum for worst president got filled up pretty quickly.
And it will be true.