Jump to topic:

Hillary as a VP pick

Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2011 11:46:57 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Joe Biden confirmed the President will not be picking him again as his running mate in the upcoming election, but made comments that he thought Hillary Clinton would make a really great choice as his replacement.

I dont think it would though. I think for the most part Obama stands a decent chance of getting re-elected so long as he does not do that. picking Hillary would be the one thing he could do to make losing a real possibility for him.

Heres why I think that, last time around, there was a much larger youth vote that Obama got that the news talking heads had not expected. For my generation all we have ever known was Bushes and Clintons and it was time for something different, it never mattered what we thought about policy if we agreed 100% with either one of those names, what mattered was that the names had to change. We wanted something else from what we have always been given and a Ted Bush or a Hillary Clinton are not that.

If Obama makes Hillary his running mate, he adds the Clinton name to his presidential ticket, and for the same gut reason the youth vote rejected her over him in his primary victory 2008 will be the same reason they will reject him over whatever Republican wins the Primary bid.

The strong similarities with Bush will probably hurt Rick Perry although technically most of those are just surface similarities (married high school girlfriend, owns a ranch, was a texas gov...). Perry probably wont have problems with the youth vote because we have all done learned he cares way more about our generation than does old people (his SS position).

with a generation that is sick of Bushes and Clintons being in the white house, given the choice between someone who sounds like Bush and a man who is running with someone who IS a Clinton, I think we will get over the texas accent and take Perry.

Now I know no one likes admitting its factors like these that determine how people ultimately vote but it is. I'm not sure why something like this trumps issues but the mass of people ultimately go with how they feel over how they think.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2011 6:07:01 PM
I think you have a point. The main reasons that I would say Obama picked Biden in 2008 was because:
1) He disagreed with so many of Clinton's policies in the prelims. People would know that they are lying if they just started agreeing on everything.
2) Biden was a foreign policy expert - something that people felt that Obama lacked.
3) Biden was non-controversial. if he had chosen Hill, he would have gotten Bill as well and Bill can't keep his mouth zipped. His flubs helped Hill lose the prelims and had Obama chosen Hill, he would have to have put up with Bill as well

Now, the scenario is different. Obama is an established president while Hill is Sec of State. So that wouldn't apply. I still believe that if he kicks out Biden now, people will have a negative impression of him because he is supposed to have chosen a VP that he trusts would last him 8 years.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2011 9:31:07 PM
I've heard once that normally when a politician runs for president the first time, his VP running mate pick is just someone to help get him elected. the run for re-election though in his last term is usually purely for the purpose of grooming the next politician he wants to run for office after himself. That's why nearly always after a presidents last term there Vice is the parties choice for making the next presidential bid.

the office of secretary of the state, though a honor to get picked for I'm sure, I cant think of an occasion before the president used that office to groom there parties next candidate for president.

Perfect choices for his new VP pick in my view; Mark Warner, Jim Webb, or Tim Kain.

I cant help but think Jim Webb is permanently out of politics but he would be perfect if he would jump back for a shot at the white house. he does not alienate conservatives though he is a democrat, he's served his country, he's a Virginian (my states a purple state now) and since he's not going to re-run for the senate he has plenty of time to give to running for the white house, though he said he want to "work in the private sector" again.

that's the cool thing about Jim Webb that makes him a democrat I can like. Some candidates claim to not be politicians and really are, Jim Webb makes no such claim but he's clearly not another politician. He went in to office as service to his state and his country, he got the changes in policies in place he wanted to get done when going into office and after that he got out. Any further change he want to make with his life he's decided can be done best from the Private Sector.

Mark Warner was the first Governor I was knew when I got old enough to be aware of politics on that level, and I liked him too and most the things he did as Governor. Even though he was a democrat I was satisfied with him as a governor and I'm pretty sure I would vote for him if he ran for president.

Tim Kain I don't really care about, but he's a Virginian and that's a big deal for me.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2011 9:38:28 PM
Yeah I don't see Hillary as a great pick. Perhaps a moderate Dem with some fresh economics ideas (and a proven history of economic success) would be an ideal candidate. The economy promises to loom large, as always...
Rob
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2011 9:44:08 PM
At 9/22/2011 9:38:28 PM, Lasagna wrote:
Yeah I don't see Hillary as a great pick. Perhaps a moderate Dem with some fresh economics ideas (and a proven history of economic success) would be an ideal candidate. The economy promises to loom large, as always...

an excellent reason for Obama to choose Mark Warner http://www.ontheissues.org...

A Scout is Obedient.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2011 10:18:20 PM
Ted Bush? Is that a friend of Jeb Kennedy or...?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2011 1:08:17 AM
What's wrong with the Clinton name? Most people approve of both Bill and Hillary. You also can't escape the fact that if she was elected VP we would not only have the first black president but also the first female VP. That's making a statement.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2011 1:17:34 AM
I hadn't heard it confirmed yet but I had heard speculation that Hillary would make a good choice. Also, there is speculation that in such a case John Kerry will take over for her. Joe Biden has been the one not able to keep his mouth shut constantly putting his foot deeper. In any case though I will not vote for Obama, just thought I would put my 2 cents in.
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2011 8:27:42 AM
At 9/23/2011 1:17:34 AM, BennyW wrote:
I hadn't heard it confirmed yet but I had heard speculation that Hillary would make a good choice. Also, there is speculation that in such a case John Kerry will take over for her. Joe Biden has been the one not able to keep his mouth shut constantly putting his foot deeper. In any case though I will not vote for Obama, just thought I would put my 2 cents in.

That's kind of scary, considering some of the Republicans I've seen. They would work to set our culture back 100 years with their traditionalism.
Rob
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2011 10:40:22 AM
At 9/23/2011 1:10:33 AM, FREEDO wrote:
I think you got your story a little mixed up, by the way.

http://news.yahoo.com...

oh, okay. I guess listening to it live that tong twister of "there's no chance I'm not..." sounded like he said he wasn't going to be on the ticket to me. my mistake.

A Scout is Obedient.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2011 10:42:01 AM
At 9/22/2011 10:18:20 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Ted Bush? Is that a friend of Jeb Kennedy or...?

I didn't even realize I put Ted until you posted this. most embarrassing brain fart ever....

A Scout is Obedient.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2011 10:49:19 AM
At 9/23/2011 1:08:17 AM, FREEDO wrote:
What's wrong with the Clinton name? Most people approve of both Bill and Hillary.
I know they have high approval, but the last name Clinton is the personification of more of the same.
For older voters there fine with that, but the old person vote is not that important considering a lot of old people don't seem to be registered to vote cause there too lazy to get up and go renew it. Last election there were a lot of new young voters that showed they just wanted something different above all else.
You also can't escape the fact that if she was elected VP we would not only have the first black president but also the first female VP. That's making a statement.

what kind of statement, that women must always be under a man?

A Scout is Obedient.