Jump to topic:

Perry to Romney, no heart

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2011 1:52:04 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
So last night Perry told Romney that he didn't have a heart if he didn't support the dream act and allow illegal aliens to have in state tuition rates at public colleges.

This is an odd position for one republican to put another in, but how does one respond?

*enter ragnar*
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2011 2:17:05 PM
I think the best way to respond to that is to use emotional response to emotional response. For example, appeal to the consequence of such actions "I'd like to support the dream act, but I'm worried that the result of the influx of immigrations would cause those waiting to immigrate who waited so long and abide by all the rules, would be unable to enter the country due to too many people"
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2011 2:28:02 PM
At 9/23/2011 2:17:05 PM, darkkermit wrote:
I think the best way to respond to that is to use emotional response to emotional response. For example, appeal to the consequence of such actions "I'd like to support the dream act, but I'm worried that the result of the influx of immigrations would cause those waiting to immigrate who waited so long and abide by all the rules, would be unable to enter the country due to too many people"

Yeah, probably.
You could find some kid who is a citizen that wants to go to a Texas school who lives in Oklahoma, but can't afford to.
BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2011 2:33:29 PM
In California they are working on passing a dream act right now, it makes it so that those here illegally actually get more financial aid than those of us who are legal citizens.
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2011 2:43:44 PM
He should turn the heart thing around, saying Perry must have no heart if he does not care about justice for all those waiting people dark kermit just spoke of.

He could also say something along these lines "Gov Perry supports the dream act thinking it makes him heart felt citizen, but what kind of heart do you have to have to start taking care of others from another country before taking care of your own household? What he calls a compassionate heart I call a neglectful uncaring one for his own people, his own citizens who elected him in the hopes that he would stand up for them, represent there voice and protect there rights."
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2011 5:15:15 PM
At 9/23/2011 1:52:04 PM, innomen wrote:
So last night Perry told Romney that he didn't have a heart if he didn't support the dream act and allow illegal aliens to have in state tuition rates at public colleges.

This is an odd position for one republican to put another in, but how does one respond?:

Being that Perry is to the right of Atila the Hun, I find it very odd that he's calling Romney out.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2011 1:56:24 PM

This is an odd position for one republican to put another in, but how does one respond?

By saying Perry doesn't have a heart if he doesn't support amnesty? The "you must not have a heart" argument seems absurd, considering anyone could use that against him for any one of his positions. "You must not have a heart if you don't support the right of two adult men to establish their love in federally recognized marriage... You must not have a heart if you think a woman must be forced to carry an unwanted fetus to term... You must not have a heart if you don't support economic welfare for the poor..."
President of DDO
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2011 7:55:28 PM
At 9/24/2011 1:56:24 PM, Danielle wrote:

By saying Perry doesn't have a heart if he doesn't support amnesty? The "you must not have a heart" argument seems absurd, considering anyone could use that against him for any one of his positions. "You must not have a heart if you don't support the right of two adult men to establish their love in federally recognized marriage... You must not have a heart if you think a woman must be forced to carry an unwanted fetus to term... You must not have a heart if you don't support economic welfare for the poor..."

I agree, this was very odd and uncharacteristic of Perry to say. Very hypocritical and even contradictory... I mean Perry must get told from liberals every single day that he has no heart for supporting the death penalty or opposing welfare and most other conservative/neoconservative positions. And yet he uses that same argument against Romney. Quite strange.
seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2011 8:16:15 PM
At 9/24/2011 7:55:28 PM, jat93 wrote:
At 9/24/2011 1:56:24 PM, Danielle wrote:

I agree, this was very odd and uncharacteristic of Perry to say. Very hypocritical and even contradictory... I mean Perry must get told from liberals every single day that he has no heart for supporting the death penalty or opposing welfare and most other conservative/neoconservative positions. And yet he uses that same argument against Romney. Quite strange.

He had to think of something. I probably couldn't have came up with a better excuse than that in his position.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2011 9:53:11 PM

*enter ragnar*

I did a "head into hand slap" when I heard that.

Compassionate conservative, anyone?
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2011 9:59:50 PM
At 9/24/2011 9:53:11 PM, Wnope wrote:

*enter ragnar*

I did a "head into hand slap" when I heard that.

Compassionate conservative, anyone?

I'd say that some conservative positions use realism over compassion. Many positions that are "liberal" are just unrealistic and are destructive to law-abiders and those who work hard. For example, trying to cap carbon emissions, rights to illegal immigrants, and welfare redistribution are all examples of "good intentions" that would have very bad results.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 10:38:15 AM

*enter ragnar*

I think that Rick Perry is going to be even more exposed in the next debates.
He is history.
Joseph_Mengele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 5:10:02 PM
╔═╗─────╔═╗───────╔═══╦═══╗╔╗╔═══╗
║╬╠═╦═╦╗║╬╠═╗╔╦╦╗─║╔═╗║╔═╗╠╝║║╔═╗║
║╗╣╬║║║║║╔╣╬╚╣║║╚╗╚╝╔╝║║║║╠╗║╚╝╔╝║
╚╩╩═╩╩═╝╚╝╚══╩═╩═╝╔═╝╔╣║║║║║║╔═╝╔╝
──────────────────║║╚═╣╚═╝╠╝╚╣║╚═╗

Thats who I support.
Joseph_Mengele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 5:10:21 PM
At 9/26/2011 5:10:02 PM, Joseph_Mengele wrote:
╔═╗─────╔═╗───────╔═══╦═══╗╔╗╔═══╗
║╬╠═╦═╦╗║╬╠═╗╔╦╦╗─║╔═╗║╔═╗╠╝║║╔═╗║
║╗╣╬║║║║║╔╣╬╚╣║║╚╗╚╝╔╝║║║║╠╗║╚╝╔╝║
╚╩╩═╩╩═╝╚╝╚══╩═╩═╝╔═╝╔╣║║║║║║╔═╝╔╝
──────────────────║║╚═╣╚═╝╠╝╚╣║╚═╗

Thats who I support.

You have got to be kidding me...can you not do word art on this website?