Jump to topic:

A liberal rant I haven't heard yet

Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2011 2:34:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
This is a picture I saw on facebook and it's a perspective I've never heard on DDO before. Click the link, it's only a couple sentences.

http://i201.photobucket.com...

I wonder if the word "his" was intentional... anyway, what do you think of this reasoning?
Rob
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2011 2:40:39 PM
At 9/23/2011 2:34:31 PM, Lasagna wrote:
This is a picture I saw on facebook and it's a perspective I've never heard on DDO before. Click the link, it's only a couple sentences.

I wonder if the word "his" was intentional... anyway, what do you think of this reasoning?

It is a fringe opinion. I'm sure most liberals disagree.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2011 2:47:28 PM
The factory builder did not consent, hence social contract is a lie. All that's left once you have that is the fact that hurr durr there's some input from the govt hurr durr all the poor people had the same gov't input or more and pay less for it but hurr durr we'll just ignore that and pretend that that input alone is automatically worth more than what some people who get it have in total, and determine exactly how much it's worth by whatever the **** the gov't says.

I bet Liz Warren would be quite shocked if the factory owner turned around, pointed a gun at her, and said "Buy the goods from my factory. Oh, and I get to determine the price."
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2011 2:52:29 PM
At 9/23/2011 2:47:28 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
The factory builder did not consent, hence social contract is a lie. All that's left once you have that is the fact that hurr durr there's some input from the govt hurr durr all the poor people had the same gov't input or more and pay less for it but hurr durr we'll just ignore that and pretend that that input alone is automatically worth more than what some people who get it have in total, and determine exactly how much it's worth by whatever the **** the gov't says.

I bet Liz Warren would be quite shocked if the factory owner turned around, pointed a gun at her, and said "Buy the goods from my factory. Oh, and I get to determine the price."

Epic libertarian rant :)
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2011 3:25:41 PM
Yeah i know that rant, i hear it on the radio. She's shooting for Senator to replace Scott Brown.

She makes 350K, and comes from Harvard Academia. The beautiful people in Massachusetts love her.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2011 3:28:34 PM
Ok but you got to love the pic... every time I make a liberal point, I want you f*ckers to see Liz Warren's contemptuous glare driving it home. Oh the horror...
Rob
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2011 3:31:16 PM
At 9/23/2011 2:40:39 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

This reasoning is fringe? It seems to be basic social contract theory.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2011 3:33:21 PM
At 9/23/2011 3:31:16 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:

Didn't realize that social contract theory called for a progressive tax (btw, the US already has a progressive tax system, so I don't see why the rich need to be taxed anymore).
Open borders debate:
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2011 3:35:56 PM
At 9/23/2011 3:33:21 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 9/23/2011 3:31:16 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:

Didn't realize that social contract theory called for a progressive tax (btw, the US already has a progressive tax system, so I don't see why the rich need to be taxed anymore).

Where does she mention progressive taxes?
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2011 3:36:00 PM
At 9/23/2011 3:28:34 PM, Lasagna wrote:
Ok but you got to love the pic... every time I make a liberal point, I want you f*ckers to see Liz Warren's contemptuous glare driving it home. Oh the horror...

Please no Rob, I'm going to be seeing enough of that pretentious windbag. All the state's millionares are flooding her with cash to rid us of that mean ol' republican scott brown. NOW THERE'S A PIC!
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2011 3:41:00 PM

Because of the massive wealth inequality?

BTW, here's her rant:
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2011 3:45:32 PM
Her rant is really quite silly....

Most of our money comes from the rich and goes towards the poor... So, the rich do not see benefit from almost all of the money they pay in taxes...
President of DDO
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2011 3:50:23 PM
At 9/23/2011 3:45:32 PM, jimtimmy wrote:

Most of our money comes from the rich

false.

and goes towards the poor...

false.

So, the rich do not see benefit from almost all of the money they pay in taxes...

True, but this implies a %. If they paid 1$ in taxes and didn't see a benefit from most of it, your statement would still be true.
Rob
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2011 4:01:22 PM
At 9/23/2011 3:50:23 PM, Lasagna wrote:

false.

false.

So, the rich do not see benefit from almost all of the money they pay in taxes...

True, but this implies a %. If they paid 1$ in taxes and didn't see a benefit from most of it, your statement would still be true.

Actually its the middle class that the policies help:

The poor are less likely to vote, so politicians don't cater to them so much. And the rich are expendable to please the middle class. Ever notice how often when a politician speaks he talks too often about the middle class. It's so fcking annoying that there should be a drinking game whenever obama mentions "middle class".

Medicare, Social Security, student aid, etc. are mainly designed to help the middle class. Some programs like medicaid, food stamps, and Family aid are designed to help the poor class.

And the rich pay more then their fair share:

http://www.google.com...

http://www.google.com...
Open borders debate:
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2011 4:04:01 PM

false.

What?
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2011 4:04:32 PM

false.

false.

Um, saying something is false does not make it false... The rich pay a huge share of the tax burden... And, see almost none of the benefits from the government money spent...

Roads, bridges, etc. are meant to help everyone... and most of the money goes to programs aimed at the poor and middle classs....
President of DDO
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2011 4:08:36 PM
I really don't see how this is a rant. In fact, it seems to be reiterating something the majority of the country takes for granted. I don't see where in the quote it addresses the tax system either.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2011 4:11:42 PM
At 9/23/2011 3:41:00 PM, Kinesis wrote:

Because of the massive wealth inequality?

BTW, here's her rant:

Can't watch it now. Why is wealth inequality bad? Are we apparently all equal and work equally hard and value money equally?
Open borders debate:
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2011 4:18:36 PM
At 9/23/2011 3:41:00 PM, innomen wrote:
Come on, who would you rather have as your senator, her or this guy:

http://www.guardian.co.uk...

I'm probably talking to the wrong audience, where's socialpinko?

Lol. He's good looking but not really my kind of man, sorry. :/
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2011 4:21:29 PM
At 9/23/2011 4:18:36 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 9/23/2011 3:41:00 PM, innomen wrote:
Come on, who would you rather have as your senator, her or this guy:

http://www.guardian.co.uk...

I'm probably talking to the wrong audience, where's socialpinko?

Lol. He's good looking but not really my kind of man, sorry. :/

Versus the woman that Rob has as his avie?
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2011 4:31:12 PM
How is this a "liberal" rant?

Am I the only one who finds that a bit loaded?

For the most part, it's the truth. You don't have to agree about the giving back bit, but the rest of it is true.

That said though, if you aren't the type to give back, you should expect to be visited by 3 spirits around Christmas time.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2011 4:31:41 PM
facebook.com/beingliberal

d'oh
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2011 4:56:53 PM

I wonder if the word "his" was intentional... anyway, what do you think of this reasoning?:

Her entire line of reasoning can easily be flipped back on to herself, as the government receives its funding off of the taxes of private citizens.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2011 5:02:03 PM

Awesome. She should run for president.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2011 5:05:44 PM

Most of our money comes from the rich and goes towards the poor... So, the rich do not see benefit from almost all of the money they pay in taxes...

Fail. Most of our money GOES to the rich and strips the poor of a decent standard of living. The rich don't see a benefit in anything unless they are getting more rich from it.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2011 6:02:15 PM
At 9/23/2011 4:11:42 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Can't watch it now. Why is wealth inequality bad? Are we apparently all equal and work equally hard and value money equally?

The post in the OP is a good response to that - people gain vast amounts of wealth based on factors outside their control, and others live in poverty based on factors outside their control. The notion that rich people are rich because they deserve to be rich is just not true.
seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2011 6:12:57 PM
At 9/23/2011 4:56:53 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

I wonder if the word "his" was intentional... anyway, what do you think of this reasoning?:

Her entire line of reasoning can easily be flipped back on to herself, as the government receives its funding off of the taxes of private citizens.

Didn't notice that. Nice point.