Jump to topic:

Road Damage

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2011 9:54:17 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I heard on a recent car commercial that poorly maintained roads cost drivers 63B dollars a year in tire costs. That doesn't take into consideration axel or alignment damage, or whatever other damage that occurs due to bad streets. I am convinced that I've lived in places with some of the absolute worst maintained roads overall; that is to say that literally every street you drive on within the area is terrible, and there's no real way to escape pot holes and the like. It would be absurd to drive in a low car as I can't imagine it not destroying the bottom. Is/should the government be responsible for these costs? I have my own ideas, but would like to hear from others first.
President of DDO
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2011 10:04:51 PM
Governments are responsible yes, but there is no feasible or just action that could demonstrate this responsibility. Will the government fine itself? Most likely not.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2011 10:23:01 PM
I'd say we'd need a cost-benefit analysis of how much it would cost to repair the roads and how much money would then be saved. Of course, I personally think roads should be privatized, so government wouldn't even be involved.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2011 10:30:43 PM
By driving you consent to your tires being on a road. If the road owner does not advertise any particular degree of quality you consent to the minimum degree of quality it is possible for the road to have while looking like the road does (as the road is plain to see before you drive on it).
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2011 10:38:00 PM
That statistic does not pass the smell test.

Does your source say how much normal wear and tear on tires costs for everyone on a perfect road?

I doubt they took the difference.