Jump to topic:

Restricting Immigration Based on IQ

jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 5:09:35 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I am all for giving all potential immigrants an IQ test and limiting the amount of low-IQ immigrants.

Just look at how many Social Problems have been worsened by mass immigration.

In America, we are having mass low-IQ immigration from latin countries. And, of course, we forced low-IQ "immigrants" to come as slaves from Africa centuries ago. These low IQ individuals are almost entirely responsible for high poverty, high crime rates, and other social problems like unwed Pregnancy and welfare dependancy (which wastes many resources). The wost part is that these low IQ blocks vote themselves more advantages and resources through solidarity...

If you're from Europe, you know the impact of low IQ Arab Immigrants who abuse their wifes and increase poverty.

Why should we not only let skilled Immigrants in, with Higher IQs?
President of DDO
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 5:11:01 PM
It shouldn't be about IQ, but about work ethics and integrety. A smart person is going to be better at finding loopholes to game the system.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 5:13:53 PM
At 9/27/2011 5:11:01 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
It shouldn't be about IQ, but about work ethics and integrety. A smart person is going to be better at finding loopholes to game the system.

How would we measure work ethics and integrity?

It is hard.

IQ has major correlations with life outcomes. Notice how Jewish Immigrants and Asian Immigrants have not worsened social problems... Well, these are high IQ groups, so that would make sense...
President of DDO
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 5:23:42 PM
At 9/27/2011 5:09:35 PM, jimtimmy wrote:
I am all for giving all potential immigrants an IQ test and limiting the amount of low-IQ immigrants.

In America, we are having mass low-IQ immigration from latin countries. And, of course, we forced low-IQ "immigrants" to come as slaves from Africa centuries ago. These low IQ individuals are almost entirely responsible for high poverty, high crime rates, and other social problems like unwed Pregnancy and welfare dependancy (which wastes many resources). The wost part is that these low IQ blocks vote themselves more advantages and resources through solidarity...

If you're from Europe, you know the impact of low IQ Arab Immigrants who abuse their wifes and increase poverty.

Can I write the IQ test? I don't like Norweigans.
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 5:28:26 PM
At 9/27/2011 5:23:42 PM, Wnope wrote:

If you are implying that IQ tests are biased, then I hope you know that the "IQ tests are biased" line has been thouroughly discredited and there is now a scientific consensus against it...
President of DDO
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 5:38:26 PM

"Government being instituted for the common benefit, protection, and security, of the whole community, and not for the private interest or emolument of any one man, family, or class of men; therefore, whenever the ends of government are perverted, and public liberty manifestly endangered, and all other means of redress are ineffectual, the people may, and of right ought to reform the old, or establish a new government. The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind." ~ Article 10 of the NH Bill of Rights
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 5:42:05 PM
At 9/27/2011 5:13:53 PM, jimtimmy wrote:
At 9/27/2011 5:11:01 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

How would we measure work ethics and integrity?

Work history in their home country. Make them have a sponser in the US before allowing them to come over. There are several options.

It is hard.

That's your excuse? "It is hard."

IQ has major correlations with life outcomes. Notice how Jewish Immigrants and Asian Immigrants have not worsened social problems... Well, these are high IQ groups, so that would make sense...

Flynn effect.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 5:48:38 PM
At 9/27/2011 5:28:26 PM, jimtimmy wrote:
At 9/27/2011 5:23:42 PM, Wnope wrote:

If you are implying that IQ tests are biased, then I hope you know that the "IQ tests are biased" line has been thouroughly discredited and there is now a scientific consensus against it...

IQ tests are measured relative to a population. Getting 100 on an IQ test means your level of knowledge/ability is equal to that of your cohort.

If a four year old has the brain of a eight year old, his/her IQ might be 140. If a twenty-four year old has the brain of a twenty-eight year old, his/her IQ will probably be around 100-110.

What exactly do you hope to gain from giving all immigrants an IQ test? Making sure we only let in people who are smarter than the average American at whatever age that person is?

And what does an IQ test have to do with your ability to function in low-skill labor jobs? A genius at physics won't be much use if the only job available is fixing cars.

I wonder what would happen if we started that screening process in the 1800s...
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 5:52:53 PM
What if all the high IQ immigrants desire to overthrow America and establish a foreign ruled dictatorship?

Oh wait... that already happened...
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 6:13:15 PM
IQ sort of has no relevance to immigration. A Russian lawyer may be super smart but what good is being well versed in Russian law going to do in North America? Plus countries like Canada do not want professionals from other countries; what they want is skilled workers who are willing to do the jobs nobody here wants.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 6:23:28 PM
1. There are plenty of really dumb Americans. Should we deport them?

2. The IQ test is not a very reliable source in terms of overall intelligence.

3. I don't see why this would be particularly beneficial in any way.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 6:24:50 PM
The so-called problems you mentioned that the OP suggests are the fault of immigrants have nothing to do with IQ btw, or immigration for that matter.
President of DDO
seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 6:28:35 PM
At 9/27/2011 6:23:28 PM, Danielle wrote:

You stole what I was going to say almost word for word...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 6:47:48 PM

Yes, lol. It should be easy enough to convince them that they are actually Greek and send them to Greece.

Ssshhh!

jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 7:52:46 PM

No

It is. I would explain it here... but I am debating this and you can look there. For now, I will just point out that there is a huge correlation between life outcomes and IQ

I see this being very beneficial.

Oh, and to Ore_Ele... I see that you randomly said the Flynn Effect in response to a point that I made that had nothing to do with the Flynn Effect... what a great response...
President of DDO
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 8:31:14 PM
At 9/27/2011 7:52:46 PM, jimtimmy wrote:

No

I'm safe either way.

It is. I would explain it here... but I am debating this and you can look there. For now, I will just point out that there is a huge correlation between life outcomes and IQ

"an IQ is not capable of measuring one's intelligence, only one's ability to take IQ tests" ~ RJ Hannon (Grandpa-RIP), a Genius, and a Ex-NASA electronics engineer.

It wouldn't, and would problem increase the number of illegals sneaking in documented, when you couple it with our lack of proper border control.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 8:32:47 PM
At 9/27/2011 8:31:14 PM, DanT wrote:

No

I'm safe either way.

"an IQ is not capable of measuring one's intelligence, only one's ability to take IQ tests" ~ RJ Hannon (Grandpa-RIP), a Genius, and a Ex-NASA electronics engineer.

It wouldn't, and would problem increase the number of illegals sneaking in documented, when you couple it with our lack of proper border control.

The exact quote is, "getting high marks on IQ tests is a measure of one's ability to get high marks on IQ tests."
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 8:37:35 PM
At 9/27/2011 8:32:47 PM, DanT wrote:

No

I'm safe either way.

The exact quote is, "getting high marks on IQ tests is a measure of one's ability to get high marks on IQ tests."

"The fact some Guy from Nasa, which has nothing to do with IQ, said that IQ tests don't matter means nothing to this debate"

-JimTimmy, a guy who debated IQ online
President of DDO
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 9:27:14 PM
At 9/27/2011 8:37:35 PM, jimtimmy wrote:

No

I'm safe either way.

"The fact some Guy from Nasa, which has nothing to do with IQ, said that IQ tests don't matter means nothing to this debate"

My grandfather has a Genius IQ and that seems to mean something to you. Hence the quote.

He also belonged to many High IQ groups, and has taken a variety of IQ tests.

Here is another quote by my grandfather;

"I doubt that more than a small fraction of the members of high-IQ groups are "geniuses". A correspondent who has belonged to many such groups for many years says, "getting high marks on IQ tests is a measure of one's ability to get high marks on IQ tests." I am particularly unimpressed by those who think that purportedly being in the 99.999th percentile makes them vastly more intelligent than others in the 99.99th, 99.9th or the 99th. The ISPE says I scored in the 99.98th on their W87 test; I could care less. I have taken many IQ tests over the years; none were true measures of intellectual ability. The simple fact is that I have known all my life that I am "smarter" than most other people. I have had the pleasure of working with a few who were my peers. I have yet to meet anyone I honestly consider my intellectual superior, although I have known many with specific enviable talents. "

http://www.megasociety.org...
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 9:31:44 PM
At 9/27/2011 9:27:14 PM, DanT wrote:

No

I'm safe either way.

My grandfather has a Genius IQ and that seems to mean something to you. Hence the quote.

"I doubt that more than a small fraction of the members of high-IQ groups are "geniuses". A correspondent who has belonged to many such groups for many years says, "getting high marks on IQ tests is a measure of one's ability to get high marks on IQ tests." I am particularly unimpressed by those who think that purportedly being in the 99.999th percentile makes them vastly more intelligent than others in the 99.99th, 99.9th or the 99th. The ISPE says I scored in the 99.98th on their W87 test; I could care less. I have taken many IQ tests over the years; none were true measures of intellectual ability. The simple fact is that I have known all my life that I am "smarter" than most other people. I have had the pleasure of working with a few who were my peers. I have yet to meet anyone I honestly consider my intellectual superior, although I have known many with specific enviable talents. "

My point was that I put more money on Statistics than quotes. I could just quote guys who think IQ matter... but that wouldnt be much of an argument...
President of DDO
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 10:09:48 PM
At 9/27/2011 9:31:44 PM, jimtimmy wrote:

No

I'm safe either way.

My point was that I put more money on Statistics than quotes. I could just quote guys who think IQ matter... but that wouldnt be much of an argument...

(n)intelligence (the ability to comprehend; to understand and profit from experience)
http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu...
(n) knowledge (the psychological result of perception and learning and reasoning)

intelligence a an ability
Knowledge is a result

IQ = 100 x (Mental Age / Actual Age)

According to the Gifted Glossary;
"Mental age predicts the amount of knowledge (a child) has mastered, the rate at which the child learns, sophistication of play, age of true peers, maturity of the child's sense of humor, ethical judgment, and awareness of the world."
http://www.gilbertgifted.org...

In other words, Intelligence Quota Tests measure Knowledge in order to find the Mental Age and compare it to the Actual Age, so they can find your Intelligence Quota . Since Intelligence cannot can be measured, they test Knowledge which is unreliable, because it is dependent on quality of education.
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 10:27:47 PM
At 9/27/2011 10:09:48 PM, DanT wrote:

No

I'm safe either way.

(n)intelligence (the ability to comprehend; to understand and profit from experience)
(n) knowledge (the psychological result of perception and learning and reasoning)

Knowledge is a result

"Mental age predicts the amount of knowledge (a child) has mastered, the rate at which the child learns, sophistication of play, age of true peers, maturity of the child's sense of humor, ethical judgment, and awareness of the world."

In other words, Intelligence Quota Tests measure Knowledge in order to find the Mental Age and compare it to the Actual Age, so they can find your Intelligence Quota . Since Intelligence cannot can be measured, they test Knowledge which is unreliable, because it is dependent on quality of education.

Intelligence is ability to learn knowledge, which is genetic.
President of DDO
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 11:16:09 PM
At 9/27/2011 10:27:47 PM, jimtimmy wrote:

No

I'm safe either way.

Knowledge is a result

Yeah it's 100% genetic.

Intelligence cannot can be measured, they test Knowledge which is unreliable, because it is dependent on quality of education.
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 11:50:45 PM
At 9/27/2011 11:16:09 PM, DanT wrote:

No

I'm safe either way.

Knowledge is a result

Yeah it's 100% genetic.

Intelligence cannot can be measured, they test Knowledge which is unreliable, because it is dependent on quality of education.

No, IQ tests ability to learn knowledge... The IQ test doesn't have information on it, it has various tests that test a brains ability to learn knowledge.
President of DDO
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 11:54:30 PM
At 9/27/2011 11:50:45 PM, jimtimmy wrote:

No

I'm safe either way.

Knowledge is a result

Yeah it's 100% genetic.

No, IQ tests ability to learn knowledge... The IQ test doesn't have information on it, it has various tests that test a brains ability to learn knowledge.

I have taken IQ tests, I know what is on them
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 12:02:45 AM
At 9/27/2011 11:54:30 PM, DanT wrote:
At 9/27/2011 11:50:45 PM, jimtimmy wrote:

No

I'm safe either way.

Knowledge is a result

Yeah it's 100% genetic.

I have taken IQ tests, I know what is on them

I've taken them on more than one occasion. I know as well...
President of DDO
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 12:07:20 AM
Immigration to the United States should be free for all. It has been for centuries and there is no reason to stop. Jimtimmy assumes that Europeans have higher IQs than Africans and South Americans which is ridiculous. There is no cause-correlation shown.
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 12:11:15 AM
At 9/28/2011 12:07:20 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Immigration to the United States should be free for all. It has been for centuries and there is no reason to stop. Jimtimmy assumes that Europeans have higher IQs than Africans and South Americans which is ridiculous. There is no cause-correlation shown.

A couple of things...

1.) Immigration was free before the Welfare State. Free Immigration and the Welfare State are Mutually Exclusive (unless you want major adverse selection and brain drain)

2.) Even then, Free Immigration was not a great policy. Immigrants came to America poor, with radical ideas. They increased poverty and crime. Obviously, this was blamed on the greedy "capitalists". When it was actually the result of low-skilled Immigration.

3.) Europeans DO have higher IQs than Latinos and Africans... This is a fact, not an opinion. African Americans have an average IQ of 85, Latin Americans have an average IQ of 89, White Americans have an average IQ of 100...
President of DDO
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 12:11:56 AM

JimTimmy is Tiel.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 12:13:19 AM
At 9/28/2011 12:11:56 AM, 000ike wrote:

JimTimmy is Tiel.

Huh?

I don't understand what about anything makes me Tiel?
President of DDO