Jump to topic:

Conservative to Anti-Statist

jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 9:38:02 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
A few weeks ago, I was a traditional conservative. I supported neo conservative foreign policy positions and all of the other nonsense conservative typically support.

I talked about how bad excessive statism was, even though I advocated further state intervention in many areas...

However, I recently had a break through when I realized that order did not come from the state. I once thought Anarchism was a stupid and utopian ideaology. I know see it as much more consistent, and perhaps logical.

Where I used to quote the Founders at length, I now see the founders as setting the foundation for the modern welfare state...

Basically, I have gone from a conservative to a libertarian, or maybe even a bit of an Anarchist...
President of DDO
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 10:22:35 PM
At 9/27/2011 9:38:02 PM, jimtimmy wrote:
Where I used to quote the Founders at length, I now see the founders as setting the foundation for the modern welfare state...

Basically, I have gone from a conservative to a libertarian, or maybe even a bit of an Anarchist...

WTF?

"With respect to the words general welfare, I have always regarded them as qualified by the detail of powers connected with them.
To take them in a literal and unlimited sense would be a metamorphosis of the Constitution into a character which there is a host of proofs was not contemplated by its creators." ~ James Madison

Libertarianism is anti-welfare state, and the founders was Libertarian
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 10:23:03 PM
Just don't tell that to a police officer, you're statistically more likely to get your @ss kicked for no reason. He'll throw you to the ground, shove a billy club up your arse, and then repeatedly whisper in your ear, "How you like the state now, huh, b!tch?"
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 10:25:19 PM
At 9/27/2011 10:23:03 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Just don't tell that to a police officer, you're statistically more likely to get your @ss kicked for no reason. He'll throw you to the ground, shove a billy club up your arse, and then repeatedly whisper in your ear, "How you like the state now, huh, b!tch?"

are you speaking from fantasy or experience?
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 10:31:24 PM
At 9/27/2011 10:22:35 PM, DanT wrote:

WTF?

"With respect to the words general welfare, I have always regarded them as qualified by the detail of powers connected with them.
To take them in a literal and unlimited sense would be a metamorphosis of the Constitution into a character which there is a host of proofs was not contemplated by its creators." ~ James Madison

Were they?

The Founders Created a Country, based on a document that gives the government (or majority) virtually unlimited power

Apart from General Welfare, the Constitution can be amended to take away all rights...

Just look at the Second Amendment... If enough of a majority supports Repeal, they will get repeal

The Founders gave the government the ability to take resoures by force of gun... (Taxation)...

This is hardly the foundation of a free nation
President of DDO
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 11:11:42 PM
At 9/27/2011 10:31:24 PM, jimtimmy wrote:

WTF?

Were they?

Yes!

The Founders Created a Country, based on a document that gives the government (or majority) virtually unlimited power

Wrong...

The Constitution is based on limited government, and separation of powers

Apart from General Welfare, the Constitution can be amended to take away all rights...

WTF? Where did you read that?

Just look at the Second Amendment... If enough of a majority supports Repeal, they will get repeal

>.< It can only be repealed by another amendment, through the amendment process.

The Founders gave the government the ability to take resources by force of gun... (Taxation)...

But limited the method in which they could tax.... The Progressive income tax was unconstitutional, until it was Amended under Wilson.

Read it now!
http://www.usconstitution.net...
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 11:49:05 PM
At 9/27/2011 11:11:42 PM, DanT wrote:

WTF?

Were they?

Yes!

Wrong...

>.< It can only be repealed by another amendment, through the amendment process.

The Founders gave the government the ability to take resources by force of gun... (Taxation)...

But limited the method in which they could tax.... The Progressive income tax was unconstitutional, until it was Amended under Wilson.

Read it now!

I am talking about the Amendment process.

The question is whether we are "Free" today?

I would say not... And, the constitution is still around
President of DDO
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 11:52:41 PM
At 9/27/2011 11:49:05 PM, jimtimmy wrote:

WTF?

Were they?

Yes!

Wrong...

Read it now!

Amendment Process, requires 2/3 of Both Houses to 1st propose a amendment, and 3/4 of the States legislatures to ratify the amendment.

That is 67 Senators, and 290 Reps needed to propose the amendment, and 38 state legislatures to ratify it.
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 12:03:48 AM
At 9/27/2011 11:52:41 PM, DanT wrote:

WTF?

Were they?

Yes!

Wrong...

Read it now!

Amendment Process, requires 2/3 of Both Houses to 1st propose a amendment, and 3/4 of the States legislatures to ratify the amendment.

That is 67 Senators, and 290 Reps needed to propose the amendment, and 38 state legislatures to ratify it.

What about the people that the other 33 senators represented?

Or the people that didnt vote for the 67 senators that voted for it?

Are they free?
President of DDO
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 12:31:41 AM
At 9/28/2011 12:25:28 AM, darkkermit wrote:
Wait, are you saying that the constitution should never be amended?

No, Im saying that there should not be a constitution in the first place... I am saying their shouldn't be a state in the first place..,

Hell, I don't know what im saying, its 1.30 in the morning and I should be working, lol
President of DDO
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 10:33:40 AM
Doesn't really surprise me, I've seen plenty of people on this site move from fascism or conservatism towards libertarianism or an-cap.

I guess it's when people realise that their social darwinistic capital elitist aims can be achieved more effectively if their jackboot or rifle is obscured behind a contract outlaying the non aggression principle.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 10:51:12 AM
Joining this site has caused me to have many doubts on allot of my beliefs. But I've only become a stronger conservative since joining.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 1:41:02 PM
At 9/28/2011 10:33:40 AM, feverish wrote:
Doesn't really surprise me, I've seen plenty of people on this site move from fascism or conservatism towards libertarianism or an-cap.

I guess it's when people realise that their social darwinistic capital elitist aims can be achieved more effectively if their jackboot or rifle is obscured behind a contract outlaying the non aggression principle.

Only Left wing Libertarians are anarchists

Right wing libertarians are minarchists
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 1:43:46 PM
At 9/28/2011 12:03:48 AM, jimtimmy wrote:

WTF?

Were they?

Yes!

Wrong...

Read it now!

Are they free?

well good luck getting 100% of the American population to agree on anything
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 2:28:37 PM
At 9/28/2011 1:41:02 PM, DanT wrote:

Have you never encoutered an anarcho-capitalist?
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 2:34:43 PM

What do you mean? Anarcho capitalists with a right wing viewpoint on economics are clearly anarchists.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 2:36:06 PM
At 9/28/2011 1:43:46 PM, DanT wrote:
At 9/28/2011 12:03:48 AM, jimtimmy wrote:

WTF?

Were they?

Yes!

Wrong...

Read it now!

Are they free?

well good luck getting 100% of the American population to agree on anything

That's pretty much the point. Just because you think something is rift doesn't mean you have the right to force the policy on others.
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 2:45:36 PM
At 9/28/2011 2:34:43 PM, socialpinko wrote:

What do you mean? Anarcho capitalists with a right wing viewpoint on economics are clearly anarchists.

Right wing is traditionalists
Left wing is Reformist

Anarchy is Reformist
Capitalist is traditionalist

Anarcho-Capitalism is Left-Right, or centrist
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 2:48:34 PM
Capitalism has never before been seen on this planet.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 2:52:07 PM
At 9/28/2011 2:48:34 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Which planet is that? because I would think that the gilded age in America, of Earth, qualifies as the existence of capitalism.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 2:52:22 PM
At 9/28/2011 2:45:36 PM, DanT wrote:

Left wing is Reformist

Anarchy is Reformist

Lol at not understanding political typology. This is based on economic stances, not whether one wants change. And even if it was anarcho capitalists are for the dismabtling of the state and an end to all forms ofgovernment intervention(federal reserve, minimum wage laws) and protectionism(tariffs, imperialism) They're certainly not for the status quo.
:
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 2:52:59 PM
At 9/28/2011 2:52:07 PM, 000ike wrote:

Which planet is that? because I would think that the gilded age in America, of Earth, qualifies as the existence of capitalism.

Lol
:
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 2:58:41 PM

The gilded age in America was State Capitalism, in early American history we had Pure Capitalism or laissez faire economics.

It wasn't until the mid 1800's we started turning State Capitalist
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 3:02:40 PM
At 9/28/2011 2:52:22 PM, socialpinko wrote:

Left wing is Reformist

Anarchy is Reformist

Lol at not understanding political typology. This is based on economic stances, not whether one wants change. And even if it was anarcho capitalists are for the dismabtling of the state and an end to all forms ofgovernment intervention(federal reserve, minimum wage laws) and protectionism(tariffs, imperialism) They're certainly not for the status quo.

(n) right wing: those who support political or social or economic conservatism; those who believe that things are better left unchanged
http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu...

(n) left wing: those who support varying degrees of social or political or economic change designed to promote the public welfare
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 3:17:56 PM
At 9/28/2011 3:02:40 PM, DanT wrote:
At 9/28/2011 2:52:22 PM, socialpinko wrote:

Left wing is Reformist

Anarchy is Reformist

(n) right wing: those who support political or social or economic conservatism; those who believe that things are better left unchanged

(n) left wing: those who support varying degrees of social or political or economic change designed to promote the public welfare

As I said earlier, even if these are the correct terms(I could find a source showing my point but then it's simple linguistic confusion) anarchocapitalism would still not be minarchistic and capitalism(free market) would not be traditionalist as not only does no country currently have it, but no society has ever had it completely non-regulated or intervened in by government.
:
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 6:42:45 PM

I would say not... And, the constitution is still around:

That all depends on what you mean by "free." If "free" means that you are allowed to do whatever the hell you want at everyone else's expense, then, no, we aren't free. All freedoms have some confines in order to even make them possible.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 6:47:49 PM

Right wing libertarians are minarchists:

That's not true. With the exception of maybe 2 self-proclaimed leftist anarchists, the rest of the anarchists are right leaning. I'm talking somewhere in the order of at least 30 on this site alone (and that's a very conservative figure).
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 6:49:07 PM
At 9/28/2011 6:42:45 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

I would say not... And, the constitution is still around:

That all depends on what you mean by "free." If "free" means that you are allowed to do whatever the hell you want at everyone else's expense, then, no, we aren't free. All freedoms have some confines in order to even make them possible.

Ya...

But, we have a government that forcibly takes people's property to pay for wars and programs...

Why?

Because a majority favors these things... As long as 51% of the people support them. The governmetn can f!ck over the other 49%
President of DDO
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 7:21:01 PM
At 9/28/2011 2:58:41 PM, DanT wrote:

The gilded age in America was State Capitalism, in early American history we had Pure Capitalism or laissez faire economics.
The Constitution says something about "Regulating interstate commerce." It was enforced, hain't ya heard o' tariffs or the Whiskey rebellion or laws that enslaved people or...? Before that the states ran things, and not laissez-faire. Before that there was Britain, which even those non-laissez-faire types thought was too interventionist.

The gilded age threw a bunch of state-chartered railroad monopolies among other things atop that.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.