Total Posts:13|Showing Posts:1-13
Jump to topic:

Is Herman Cain "Flavor of the Week?"

jat93
Posts: 1,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 9:09:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Because of one straw poll victory in Florida (where people had to be over 100$ to vote in) the media has been raving over Cain and his apparent "surge" in popularity. It seems that almost unanimously, Cain is now considered a potential frontrunner.

This should enrage anyone who knows anything about Ron Paul, who has consistently been winning and placing strongly in straw polls, and who has been consistently polling 3rd to Perry and Romney, only to be largely ignored by the media. You'd think that after Jon Stewart exposed the mainstream media's bias against Paul and it practically became a theme of his campaign, the attempts to ignore him would have stopped or at least slowed down. But still the media plays games with propping up fake frontrunners to hide Paul's campaign momentum from the public.

It happened with Michelle Bachmann - she won the Ames Straw Poll and Paul lost by less than 1/10th of 1 percentage of the vote (if my memory serves me correctly) but most headlines ignored Paul and either focused solely on Bachmann or on Bachmann and Pawlenty. Immediately, a new top tier was formed - Perry, Romney, and Bachmann. But a month after the straw poll, she's way behind Paul and her momentum is way down.

My question: Will the media's desperate attempts to falsely prop up Herman Cain as a frontrunner - anything to keep people from finding out that if anyone is in the top tier aside from Perry and Romney, it's Ron freaking Paul - hold up in the long run? Or will Herman Cain prove to be a mere flavor of the week, like Michelle Bachmann has so quickly become?
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 9:10:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
He doesn't have a prayer. He might be popular now, but his big platform, the 9/9/9 plan, will scare the living hell out of the establishment.

Kinda of the same reason Ron Paul can't win the primary. He's too honest about his positions, and the establishment doesn't like them.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 9:15:04 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/29/2011 9:10:59 PM, Wnope wrote:
He doesn't have a prayer. He might be popular now, but his big platform, the 9/9/9 plan, will scare the living hell out of the establishment.

Kinda of the same reason Ron Paul can't win the primary. He's too honest about his positions, and the establishment doesn't like them.

lets not forget that all this will be irrelevant because not a single one of them lift a candle to Obama.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 9:20:03 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/29/2011 9:10:59 PM, Wnope wrote:
He doesn't have a prayer. He might be popular now, but his big platform, the 9/9/9 plan, will scare the living hell out of the establishment.

Kinda of the same reason Ron Paul can't win the primary. He's too honest about his positions, and the establishment doesn't like them.

I always think his 9/9/9 plan is so some sort of pizza deal. Order 9 pizzas with up to 9 toppings all for 9 dollars each.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
jimtimmy
Posts: 3,953
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 9:20:11 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/29/2011 9:15:04 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/29/2011 9:10:59 PM, Wnope wrote:
He doesn't have a prayer. He might be popular now, but his big platform, the 9/9/9 plan, will scare the living hell out of the establishment.

Kinda of the same reason Ron Paul can't win the primary. He's too honest about his positions, and the establishment doesn't like them.

lets not forget that all this will be irrelevant because not a single one of them lift a candle to Obama.

Ya, with an economic record like Obama's, he is unbeatable...
President of DDO
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 9:26:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/29/2011 9:20:11 PM, jimtimmy wrote:
At 9/29/2011 9:15:04 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/29/2011 9:10:59 PM, Wnope wrote:
He doesn't have a prayer. He might be popular now, but his big platform, the 9/9/9 plan, will scare the living hell out of the establishment.

Kinda of the same reason Ron Paul can't win the primary. He's too honest about his positions, and the establishment doesn't like them.

lets not forget that all this will be irrelevant because not a single one of them lift a candle to Obama.

Ya, with an economic record like Obama's, he is unbeatable...

Or perhaps the republican candidates are so weak that the election result is obvious. Their debates don't help their case either. Youtube is somewhat of a poll itself. Take a look at this video's likes.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
jat93
Posts: 1,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 9:33:00 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/29/2011 9:10:59 PM, Wnope wrote:
He doesn't have a prayer. He might be popular now, but his big platform, the 9/9/9 plan, will scare the living hell out of the establishment.

I think that worse for Cain in the eyes of Republican voters are:

a) his past affiliations with the Federal Reserve and his downplaying of any problems that the Fed poses, i.e. called Ron Paul supporters' questions on the Fed "stupid" and says it doesn't need an audit. The Federal Reserve has become a major talking point for Republicans in this election cycle and it's not just a concern with Ron Paul supporters as it was last time around.

b) his lack of government experience. Though this might seem ideal at first because he can portray himself as a "Washington outsider," he won't be able to overcome the fact that he has held no serious political office before. Though nobody wants a career politician, Cain just doesn't know certain things that a President has to know. He's said in debates that there are certain important issues that he's ignorant about but that for those issues he thoroughly researches the topics and talks about them with his employers. So he's simply unqualified in anything related to American history, economic history, and foreign policy. The only thing he seems to even pretend to know anything about is the economy, and though this election is certainly going to focus on the economy, there are other things a President has to understand and Cain obviously doesn't understand them.
jat93
Posts: 1,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 9:49:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/29/2011 9:15:04 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/29/2011 9:10:59 PM, Wnope wrote:
He doesn't have a prayer. He might be popular now, but his big platform, the 9/9/9 plan, will scare the living hell out of the establishment.

Kinda of the same reason Ron Paul can't win the primary. He's too honest about his positions, and the establishment doesn't like them.

lets not forget that all this will be irrelevant because not a single one of them lift a candle to Obama.

You couldn't be more wrong. Numerous credible polls suggest that if the election were held today, both Mitt Romney and Ron Paul would either beat Obama or come extremely close. Look those polls up.

But even ignoring the polls, Obama faces in uphill battle in 2012. He's vulnerable - the economy still sucks, first of all, so any Republican candidate can rub that in his face. Also, he's lied and contradicted much of what he campaigned on '08 - his foreign policy has been antithetical to what he promised it would be, he hasn't done anything about the war on drugs... He has failed at upholding true progressive/liberal values.

So there are the conservatives and libertarians who hated Obama from the beginning, there are the liberals/progressives who realize Obama has lied and failed to uphold most of his promises, and there are the Obama worshipers who will stick with him no matter what. And there are the people that will not vote for him simply because the economy sucks and standards of living haven't improved. Assuming the economy remains stagnant or worsens, and that he continues to break the promises he campaigned on in '08, I'd say Obama definitely faces an uphill battle in '12.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 10:12:05 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/29/2011 9:26:50 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/29/2011 9:20:11 PM, jimtimmy wrote:
At 9/29/2011 9:15:04 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/29/2011 9:10:59 PM, Wnope wrote:
He doesn't have a prayer. He might be popular now, but his big platform, the 9/9/9 plan, will scare the living hell out of the establishment.

Kinda of the same reason Ron Paul can't win the primary. He's too honest about his positions, and the establishment doesn't like them.

lets not forget that all this will be irrelevant because not a single one of them lift a candle to Obama.

Ya, with an economic record like Obama's, he is unbeatable...

Or perhaps the republican candidates are so weak that the election result is obvious. Their debates don't help their case either. Youtube is somewhat of a poll itself. Take a look at this video's likes.

So many likes! Well that's enough evidence for me.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2011 2:47:11 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Cain is a "none of the above" option. As voters flee Perry and Bachmann, they see Cain as their anti-establishment torch-holder, which is what he wants to be.

But when the chance comes the next anti-Romney pops up, Cain will likely lose his support. Until the next anti-Romney flops, anyways.
mongeese
Posts: 5,387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2011 11:53:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
But that raises the question, how can Cain look like the anti-establishment candidate when he's running against Ron Paul?
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2011 11:55:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/30/2011 11:53:36 PM, mongeese wrote:
But that raises the question, how can Cain look like the anti-establishment candidate when he's running against Ron Paul?

His only chance would be to try and ignore Ron Paul and hope he drowns. His strength would be the Republican hawks who are scared sh!tless of Paul.
jat93
Posts: 1,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2011 12:32:04 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/30/2011 11:53:36 PM, mongeese wrote:
But that raises the question, how can Cain look like the anti-establishment candidate when he's running against Ron Paul?

Because to many, Ron Paul doesn't look like any kind of candidate at all, since the mainstream media does everything it can to ignore him and pretend he doesn't exist. It follows that most people are kept in the dark about Ron Paul, his campaign, his record, and what he really believes in.

It's sad, but overnight because of that one straw poll Cain was propelled by news stations like Fox into the "top tier". Again, same thing happened with Bachmann - anything to avoid covering Ron Paul. And for a time between Bachmann and Cain as the propped up frontrunners, it was, of course, a two man race.

Your rhetorical question is true for those who are actually aware of the facts. Unfortunately, most people are more aware of what major news stations spin as facts, so Cain will for now be portrayed as the anti-establishment candidate.