Jump to topic:

Education Should Not be Forced

jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 6:15:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Let's face it, School isn't for everyone.

We should not be wasting valuable resources on children with 60 IQ Points, who have no chance of learning these things.

And, we continue to force kids to go to high school. This is absurd. Half the high schoolers do not gain anything valuable from High School.

The fact is that our school system is full of kids who are unable, or unwilling to gain anything from School

School should not be forced.
President of DDO
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 6:23:12 PM
I'm curious if there are any positive externalities associated with school at that age. Studies show that those who go to high school commit less crime and such, but that seems to be more of a correlation, not necessary a causation.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 6:25:00 PM
At 10/2/2011 6:23:12 PM, darkkermit wrote:
I'm curious if there are any positive externalities associated with school at that age. Studies show that those who go to high school commit less crime and such, but that seems to be more of a correlation, not necessary a causation.

I would agree.

I think if school were not to be mandatory, we would still see most people go to school. However, those who truly don't belong probably wouldn't waste their time.
President of DDO
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 10:21:55 PM
At 10/2/2011 6:15:23 PM, jimtimmy wrote:

We should not be wasting valuable resources on children with 60 IQ Points, who have no chance of learning these things.

And, we continue to force kids to go to high school. This is absurd. Half the high schoolers do not gain anything valuable from High School.

The fact is that our school system is full of kids who are unable, or unwilling to gain anything from School

I'm not too keen on public schools anyhow.

My little sister and her friend, are Juniors in High school, and they didn't know;
A.) Who Benedict Arnold was
B.) Who Napoleon Bonaparte was
C.) Who we fought in WWII
D.) If we won WWII
E.) Which President had a father who was President with the same name >.<
F.) What the Senate is
G.) Who Reagan was
H.) How what is the square root of 10
I.) What is 10 squared
J.) What a antonym is
K.) What a synonym is
L.) What is the Capital of the State they live in
M.) What Sea is above Egypt
N.) If Japan is in Asia or Europe

I think you get the gist of it.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 10:23:22 PM
At 10/2/2011 10:21:55 PM, DanT wrote:

My little sister and her friend, are Juniors in High school, and they didn't know;
D.) If we won WWII
F.) What the Senate is
G.) Who Reagan was
I.) What is 10 squared
J.) What a antonym is
K.) What a synonym is

Wow, sad to say that this doesnt surprise me.
President of DDO
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 10:24:20 PM

D.) If we won WWII
F.) What the Senate is
G.) Who Reagan was
I.) What is 10 squared
J.) What a antonym is
K.) What a synonym is

By the way my sister has a above average IQ, the Public schools just let her brain rot.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 10:26:38 PM

D.) If we won WWII
F.) What the Senate is
G.) Who Reagan was
I.) What is 10 squared
J.) What a antonym is
K.) What a synonym is

http://myfacewhen.com...
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 10:34:15 PM
At 10/2/2011 10:24:20 PM, DanT wrote:

D.) If we won WWII
F.) What the Senate is
G.) Who Reagan was
I.) What is 10 squared
J.) What a antonym is
K.) What a synonym is

By the way my sister has a above average IQ, the Public schools just let her brain rot.

Ya, Public Schools are ineffective. I am against forced schooling and public schooling.
President of DDO
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 10:36:52 PM
At 10/2/2011 10:34:15 PM, jimtimmy wrote:

Ya, Public Schools are ineffective. I am against forced schooling and public schooling.

Thats like saying just because people break laws, there are no need for laws at all. The solution to ineffective public schooling is reform, not dissolution. Does a scientist erase all his work and start over just because the experiment failed? No, he keeps it, learns, and tries again.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 10:40:44 PM
I have heard about the benefits of private education, especially those at charter schools....I do not entirely understand the curriculum or layout of charter schools and why they are more "effective" than public schools...
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 10:42:43 PM
At 10/2/2011 10:40:44 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
I have heard about the benefits of private education, especially those at charter schools....I do not entirely understand the curriculum or layout of charter schools and why they are more "effective" than public schools...

Yeah. My public HS was going to become a semi-charter, but still part of the system. Unfortunately, if they did that they'd lose bussing.

This is a problem, as my school is a magnet school for the entire city.

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 10:43:53 PM

Well they don't (as far as I know) have coaches as "teachers". There is seriously very little that pisses me off more than having to be "taught" by a coach who doesn't know anything about the subject just because the district doesn't have money to hire real teachers, and for some absurd reason places football above academics.

Freakin Robin Hood Program.

Ok, rant over.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 10:50:13 PM
At 10/2/2011 10:43:53 PM, thett3 wrote:

Well they don't (as far as I know) have coaches as "teachers". There is seriously very little that pisses me off more than having to be "taught" by a coach who doesn't know anything about the subject just because the district doesn't have money to hire real teachers, and for some absurd reason places football above academics.

Ok, rant over.

Yes, that is certainly one problem...with public schools, along with the issue of 'teacher unions'...

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 10:54:24 PM
At 10/2/2011 10:50:13 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

Ok, rant over.

Yes, that is certainly one problem...with public schools, along with the issue of 'teacher unions'...

I don't know what I want to do about my childrens education in the future. Public school is mostly garbage...learn how to take the tests and you'll get straight A's and B's with no effort at all (I know from experience), but all the private/homeschooled kids I've met are WAY too sheltered and ignorant of the world. Sorry, but a 17 year old girl has no business not knowing what sex is (I seriously had a friend who didn't know what it was.)
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 11:03:12 PM
At 10/2/2011 10:54:24 PM, thett3 wrote:

Ok, rant over.

I don't know what I want to do about my childrens education in the future. Public school is mostly garbage...learn how to take the tests and you'll get straight A's and B's with no effort at all (I know from experience), but all the private/homeschooled kids I've met are WAY too sheltered and ignorant of the world. Sorry, but a 17 year old girl has no business not knowing what sex is (I seriously had a friend who didn't know what it was.)

So what would be the best way to educate the posterity?

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 11:04:30 PM
At 10/2/2011 11:03:12 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

Ok, rant over.

Oh, I'm just ranting honestly. But I would say reform public education if possible.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 11:08:38 PM
At 10/2/2011 11:04:30 PM, thett3 wrote:

Ok, rant over.

Oh, I'm just ranting honestly. But I would say reform public education if possible.

[I hope you weren't ranting to mock me...after all,I let darkkermit deal with 000ike :)]

But anyway, I do agree...I do feel that public education needs to stop focusing on tests and more on other approaches of assessing a student's skill...

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 11:12:49 PM
At 10/2/2011 11:08:38 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

Ok, rant over.

[I hope you weren't ranting to mock me...after all,I let darkkermit deal with 000ike :)]

But anyway, I do agree...I do feel that public education needs to stop focusing on tests and more on other approaches of assessing a student's skill...

[I wasn't...I was honestly just ranting]

And yes, agreed. Plus since the schools need to get certain numbers to pass standardized tests, a lot of their funding and resources go to the lower tier students who wouldn't normally pass it, as opposed to the smarter kids
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 11:14:35 PM
At 10/2/2011 11:12:49 PM, thett3 wrote:

Ok, rant over.

And yes, agreed. Plus since the schools need to get certain numbers to pass standardized tests, a lot of their funding and resources go to the lower tier students who wouldn't normally pass it, as opposed to the smarter kids

[Alright...In that case, I can see your frustration....]
(signs) I'm confused by the logic of Regents and AP classes...What is the point of trying to help develop a student's skill when the entire class is dedicated to preparing for one test?

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 11:16:28 PM
At 10/2/2011 11:14:35 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

Ok, rant over.

(signs) I'm confused by the logic of Regents and AP classes...What is the point of trying to help develop a student's skill when the entire class is dedicated to preparing for one test?

I only take those classes so that I can be around intelligent people. Sadly, my school encourages AP so much that people who have no business in classes like that are still in them...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 11:20:33 PM
At 10/2/2011 11:16:28 PM, thett3 wrote:

Ok, rant over.

I only take those classes so that I can be around intelligent people. Sadly, my school encourages AP so much that people who have no business in classes like that are still in them...

I suppose so...They take it for credit, not to learn or to better themselves in that specific area...

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 11:24:24 PM
At 10/2/2011 11:20:33 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

Ok, rant over.

I suppose so...They take it for credit, not to learn or to better themselves in that specific area...

That's what happens when they emphasize that everyone needs to go to college...I remember in 8th grade this lady came to our school and started talking about how everyone who doesn't have a college degree is "unskilled labor". So I asked her "Can you write programs for flight simulators?" and she said "no." and I said "Funny. My father can, and he didn't go to college. Another thing he can do is spew mindless babble to students just like you! I guess its not such unskilled labor after all, huh?"

I got a weeks worth of detention with the coaches for that :P but it was sooo worth it.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 11:29:46 PM
At 10/2/2011 11:24:24 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 10/2/2011 11:20:33 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

Ok, rant over.

That's what happens when they emphasize that everyone needs to go to college...I remember in 8th grade this lady came to our school and started talking about how everyone who doesn't have a college degree is "unskilled labor". So I asked her "Can you write programs for flight simulators?" and she said "no." and I said "Funny. My father can, and he didn't go to college. Another thing he can do is spew mindless babble to students just like you! I guess its not such unskilled labor after all, huh?"

I got a weeks worth of detention with the coaches for that :P but it was sooo worth it.

That was a well-put response, my friend. It's sad to see where tests and credit gain an upper hand over talent or actual skill in education.

I'm not too much of a fan of curriculums, especially that of AP and Regents world and US/European history...

jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 11:35:40 PM

I'm not as big on this issue.

I just don't think schools should be mandatory in the first place....

People should not be forced, by point of gun, to try to learn stuff that a lot of kids can't learn anyways...
President of DDO
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2011 12:04:02 AM
I dont think the issue is too stupid. Unless somebody is mentally handicapped, (which they should go to a special school) everybody has the potential to become smarter.

The real issue is motivation. 18 year old drug heads in 8th grade math shouldn't be draining tax money. Plus, they get nothing out of it.

I'm all for public schooling, but some people need to be in jail, a trade school, a sports camp, or nowhere at all.
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2011 12:50:04 AM
At 10/3/2011 12:04:02 AM, Rockylightning wrote:
I dont think the issue is too stupid. Unless somebody is mentally handicapped, (which they should go to a special school) everybody has the potential to become smarter.

The real issue is motivation. 18 year old drug heads in 8th grade math shouldn't be draining tax money. Plus, they get nothing out of it.

I'm all for public schooling, but some people need to be in jail, a trade school, a sports camp, or nowhere at all.

Well, there are limits on everyone.

A kid with 95 IQ is not going to ever understand Quantum Physics, for an example.

I am for the straight up abolition of Forced Schooling.
President of DDO
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2011 3:07:12 AM

D.) If we won WWII
F.) What the Senate is
G.) Who Reagan was
I.) What is 10 squared
J.) What a antonym is
K.) What a synonym is

This is so sad. She'd never pass the citizenship test.

I tend to lean in the direction of the OP. The kids who don't want to be there, and detract from the system in resources and cost at the expense of other students and the tax payer really are a problem.

The problem then comes from a community dealing with these kids not being in school and having time on their hands. A fair percent of schooling is really mandatory babysitting. I hear the OP, but i just think the number of problems that will come from removing compulsory education would need to be dealt with before they start, not afterward.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2011 3:08:45 AM
A child needs to have an active mind. Compulsory education on every single subject prevents him from having an open mind. Over a decade of compulsory schooling where you are told how to learn in ways that might never suit you, or learn subjects that your brain will never be interested in, that is inhumane. But it is much better than no schooling at all.

The parents should guide their children. If they see that a child is interested in astronomy, biology, and language, then his parents should make it possible for him to get taught about those subjects. That will make him a specialist in certain subjects rather than being mentally deficient when it comes to all subjects, simply because he is too exhausted mentally to learn what he is being taught.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2011 4:03:50 AM
What education needs is a radical reform in method. I don't see getting rid of that mandate as good idea. In-fact, I would actually expand it into to college. Imagine a country where every citizen has a college education.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2011 6:12:20 AM
Now that I think of it, more self-directed education would be better for learning--engaging and choosing IN DEPTH what you learn.

PS: What say you about unschoolers? http://en.wikipedia.org...