Jump to topic:

Why no Atheist presidents?

racismisawesome
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2011 5:54:11 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I am sick and tired of Christian presidents with their "I Love Israel blah blah blah" bullsh!t. I want a scientific minded atheist who believes in evolution and values funding science programs rather than welfare or war or some other bullsh!t.

JFK was great because even though he was religious, he pushed US to land on the moon, and we did it, we need another president who will push us to land on mars, make a moon colony, create easier methods to reach outer space without using so much fuel. Etc. We need a president who will inspire biologists to cure more illnesses rather than help the pharmaceutical companies make profit off of treatments. We need to explore the bottom of the ocean, and make aquatic cities like in bioshock.

I am sick and tired of this religious battle in the middle east attacking muslims to help Israel or whatever, its a waste of money, we could have cured cancer by now if we dumped all the trillions we wasted on the war, into cancer research.

Who else would rather have an Atheist president than a retarded religious one?
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2011 6:08:06 PM
Wtf kind of scientist makes discoveries based on a president inspiring them?

When one of Pavlov's assistants tried to explain his tardiness by saying "But Professor, there's a revolution going on with shooting in the streets," Pavlov replied "What the hell difference does a revolution make when you've got work to do in the laboratory? Next time there's a revolution, get up earlier!"
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Cobo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2011 6:09:17 PM
At 10/11/2011 5:54:11 PM, racismisawesome wrote:
I am sick and tired of Christian presidents with their "I Love Israel blah blah blah" bullsh!t. I want a scientific minded atheist who believes in evolution and values funding science programs rather than welfare or war or some other bullsh!t.

JFK was great because even though he was religious, he pushed US to land on the moon, and we did it, we need another president who will push us to land on mars, make a moon colony, create easier methods to reach outer space without using so much fuel. Etc. We need a president who will inspire biologists to cure more illnesses rather than help the pharmaceutical companies make profit off of treatments. We need to explore the bottom of the ocean, and make aquatic cities like in bioshock.

I am sick and tired of this religious battle in the middle east attacking muslims to help Israel or whatever, its a waste of money, we could have cured cancer by now if we dumped all the trillions we wasted on the war, into cancer research.

.....Cociane's a helluva drug.....
Church of the BANHAMMER GODS priest
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2011 7:04:10 PM

I got a better Idea... How about we don't have a president at all?
President of DDO
Calvincambridge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2011 7:17:19 PM

If ew had an athiest president i would leave this country.
Trying to figure out women is like trying to solve a Rubik's cube with missing pieces. While blind. And on fire. And being shot.-Agent_Orange
Dude. Shades
That is all.- Thaddeus Rivers
One thing that isn't a joke though is the fact that woman are computers.Some buttons you can press and it'l work fine, but if you push the wrong one you'll get the blue screen of death.
silly, thett. girls are only good for sex. being friends with a female is of no value.-darkkermit
racismisawesome
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2011 7:33:03 PM
At 10/11/2011 6:08:06 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

When one of Pavlov's assistants tried to explain his tardiness by saying "But Professor, there's a revolution going on with shooting in the streets," Pavlov replied "What the hell difference does a revolution make when you've got work to do in the laboratory? Next time there's a revolution, get up earlier!"

not just inspire but also fund, obama recenetly cut all funding to NASA. we need MORE funding to NASA!
racismisawesome
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2011 7:33:50 PM
At 10/11/2011 7:17:19 PM, Calvincambridge wrote:

You have a monkey president and you are still here? LOL
curious18
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2011 8:20:57 PM

Doesn't the JFK reasoning just mean that we should want someone that, like, doesn't care about religion? I mean, I don't care if a president is religious or not, so long as they aren't waving it around in front of others.
JuiceSqueeze
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2011 8:48:49 PM

I don't understand - are you suggesting there is an inverse relationship between atheism and Israel?

Support for Israel is widespread in the US, positive in virtually all demographics and increasing exponentially.

US is majority Christian so naturally the POTUS would be Christian. Just the odds. Seems like pretty lazy thinking IMO.

And on a side note, Israel is a leader in science and technology.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 2:13:11 AM
At 10/11/2011 7:33:03 PM, racismisawesome wrote:

not just inspire but also fund, obama recenetly cut all funding to NASA. we need MORE funding to NASA!

Why? It's not like the people going to the moon brought home any cheese.

If you think space exploration is profitable, invest in it.

If you think the technological byproducts of space exploration are profitable, invest in developing them directly (probably cheaper) and patent away.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
lotus_flower
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 8:57:33 AM

I wish you would, because if "ew" had an "athiest" president, a lot more people who have the same idiotic and primitive views as you would leave, too, and our nation's IQ would go up significantly.
"Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it."
- Christopher Hitchens, God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
http://www.bbc.co.uk...
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 5:42:06 PM

A. Israel has nothing to do with Christianity, I'm Buddhist, and I support Israel.
Who says Scientist can't be religious?
Sir Isaac Newton was a Zionist, and a Christian-Alchemist. He even predicted the end of days, through mathematical formulas in the bible, earning him the nickname the Dark Heretic.

JFK was great because even though he was religious, he pushed US to land on the moon, and we did it, we need another president who will push us to land on mars, make a moon colony, create easier methods to reach outer space without using so much fuel.

The Apollo program was first conceived under the Eisenhower Administration, which also created NASA.

And "Despite Kennedy's rhetoric, he did not immediately come to a decision on the status of the Apollo program once he became president. He knew little about the technical details of the space program, and was put off by the massive financial commitment required by a manned Moon landing."
http://www.universe-galaxies-stars.com...

Apollo 1 launched in 1967 under the Johnson administration.
Apollo 11 landed on the moon in 1969 under the Nixon administration.

Etc. We need a president who will inspire biologists to cure more illnesses rather than help the pharmaceutical companies make profit off of treatments. We need to explore the bottom of the ocean, and make aquatic cities like in bioshock.

Some meanwhile the illnesses go untreated while they search for the cure. A treatment is easier to find than a cure, and in some cases a cure most likely does not exist; such as the common cold.

Iraq is not a religious War, but the Israel-Palestinian conflict is, because the Muslims made it that way. The Koran condemns Judaism hence the ancient hatred of Jews by Muslims. (Much like the hatred of Jews by Medieval Christians)

Religion does not make policy, that is made clear by the 1st amendment.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof" ~ 1st amendment
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 9:23:25 PM

Why is that?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Lexi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2011 2:06:39 PM

The type of scientist that needs government funding for their research. Scientists don't need the inspiration from there president, they merely need social support and financial assistance.
Calvincambridge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2011 7:46:03 PM
At 10/11/2011 7:33:50 PM, racismisawesome wrote:

You have a monkey president and you are still here? LOL

Only humans can run for president.
Trying to figure out women is like trying to solve a Rubik's cube with missing pieces. While blind. And on fire. And being shot.-Agent_Orange
Dude. Shades
That is all.- Thaddeus Rivers
One thing that isn't a joke though is the fact that woman are computers.Some buttons you can press and it'l work fine, but if you push the wrong one you'll get the blue screen of death.
silly, thett. girls are only good for sex. being friends with a female is of no value.-darkkermit
Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2011 11:13:15 PM

I was taking you seriously until this point. The economics of building a city underwater is prohibitive; even cities that float on the water are too expensive to be worth it, though they might be technically feasible.

So. You want a president doesn't respect the religious views of 90% of his own country, who will ignore or turn against our best ally in the middle east; oh, and one who will fund a series of massive government building projects under the ocean just because some geeks thought it would be cool?

Your opinion has been noted, and discarded. You may now take a seat with the other 2/3rds of the internet who have no clue what they are talking about.
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 1:07:15 PM
At 11/8/2011 11:13:15 PM, Chrysippus wrote:

I was taking you seriously until this point. The economics of building a city underwater is prohibitive; even cities that float on the water are too expensive to be worth it, though they might be technically feasible.

So. You want a president doesn't respect the religious views of 90% of his own country, who will ignore or turn against our best ally in the middle east; oh, and one who will fund a series of massive government building projects under the ocean just because some geeks thought it would be cool?

Your opinion has been noted, and discarded. You may now take a seat with the other 2/3rds of the internet who have no clue what they are talking about.

You, good sir, are an idiot. We need more bioshock, less fable.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2011 1:04:19 PM
I think it's likely that Barack Obama is really an atheist.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2011 1:07:47 PM
At 11/11/2011 1:04:19 PM, Reasoning wrote:

why?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2011 1:22:54 PM
At 11/11/2011 1:07:47 PM, 000ike wrote:

why?

Firstly, it's gut feeling. Doesn't he seem like an atheist? Further, his father was an atheist.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2011 1:28:43 PM
At 11/11/2011 1:22:54 PM, Reasoning wrote:
At 11/11/2011 1:07:47 PM, 000ike wrote:

why?

Firstly, it's gut feeling. Doesn't he seem like an atheist? Further, his father was an atheist.

He certainly denies the validity of biblical morality, but then so does everyone.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2011 6:35:14 AM
"The Bible is not my book nor Christianity my profession." - Abraham Lincoln
Aaronroy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2011 10:52:35 PM

JFK's father bought him the election, but sure, let's glorify a man who wanted to wage space-war with the Soviets (JFK's real contention) rather than make a scientific leap in future for the sake of science and exploration itself.

The number of saved cancer patients would probably be equal to or less than the number of Israelites murdered by their superstitious zealot neighbors. Eliminate the Islamist terror groups to a point where Israel can support itself, then let Israel defend themself after that.

I'd rather have an intellectual religious president rather than a low-IQ'd atheist, if you're trying to make some kind if comparitive premise or something. Either way, I think the best belief a president can believe in is militant agnosticism. Atheism, when brought into the perspective of the atheists themselves, is just about as close-minded as
turn down for h'what
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2011 5:58:06 PM
The religious beliefs of the president have ever had an important influence on their performance in office. The two most religious presidents in recent times were Franklin Roosevelt and Jimmy Carter. Roosevelt believed he was the personal agent of God on earth, and he frequently led the nation in prayer. Carter was a born-again evangelical Baptist who banned liquor in the White House. Nixon was a Quaker. Reagan was religious, but did not attend church and said very little about it.

Washington, Adams, Jefferson, and Madison were all Deists. They did not believe in revelation, miracles, or the efficacy of prayer, although they endorsed Christian moral philosophy. Lincoln's religious beliefs are not known. He said he never opposed Christianity, but wouldn't go into detail.

Anti-science liberal and atheist beliefs has made "green" into a more powerful religion than Christianity, and far more damaging to the country than Creationism. Creationism is nuts, but it does little harm. The Creationists try but don't succeed at having religion taught as science. Ecofanaticism is actively destroying the economy. We could be close to energy independent were it not for the green religion. The Left has odd Luddite tendencies, opposing automation and technological solutions to problems.