Jump to topic:

Gilad Shalit

OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2011 10:24:04 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I remember when he was kidnapped 5 years ago, what do you all think of the release?

Lets also consider the role of a soldier: To serve ones country. With his capture, Shalit went from that to the complete opposite - a bargaining chip against his home nation. Should the Israeli government have traded over 1,000 palestinian prisoners for the release of one popular soldier? Will this encourage more captures?

It seems that capturing Israeli soldiers could now become a lucrative business. What about the possibility of releasing of those prisoner bringing more violence? Is this the example Israel should be setting?

Thoughts.
JuiceSqueeze
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 2:42:22 AM
israel has released about 10,000 prisoners between the wars in lebanese and palestinian territories in exchange for 2 living israelis (one businessman in lebanon and gilad shalit), one lebanese SA commander, and i think 2 or 3 bodies of tortured/murdered israeli soldiers.

i imagine palestinian terrorist groups will secretly plot to abduct more israeli soldiers hoping to secure the release of other prisoners - but right now there is only ~15 hardcore terrorists in jails that weren't part of the exchange.

no palestinian leader is going to say NOT to kidnap more soldiers, but palestinians realize the price their leaders will pay if they commit acts of aggression and abduct soldiers.

israeli invaded gaza after the attack on shalit, killed over 200 people and set back hamas rule by several years.

hezbollah abducted 2 israeli soldiers and israel responded in 2006, 2,500 killed and billions in $$$ for lebanon.

it is in the interests of arabs to avoid kidnapping soldiers for NOW, at least. 20 years ago palestinians didn't have much to lose, today they have a lot because they rely heavily on foreign aid to simply exist.

i personally am glad israel puts a lot of effort in securing the release of soldiers. i wish our country would do the same for soldiers like berdahl.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 11:59:56 AM
Israel is a very pragmatic state, it would not have purchased the life of one Israeli soldier for 1000 Palestinian combatants, which suggests to me that the 1000 prisoners were mostly political prisoners who ought not have been in prison in the first place.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
JuiceSqueeze
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 2:13:38 PM
Palestinian combatants, which suggests to me that the 1000 prisoners were mostly political prisoners who ought not have been in prison in the first place.

pretty silly statement:

Walid Abd al-Aziz Abd al-Hadi Anajas (36 life sentences) – took part in the execution of the Café Moment bombing (2002), the Hebrew University bombing (2002) and the Rishon LeZion bombing (2002) - 11 killed

Maedh Waal Taleb Abu Sharakh (19 life sentences), Majdi Muhammad Ahmed Amr (19 life sentences) and Fadi Muhammad Ibrahim al-Jaaba[29] (18 life sentences) -17 killed

Yihia Ibrahim Hasan Al-Sinwar - participated in the kidnapping of Shalit, murdered Nachshon Wachsman.

Abd al-Aziz Yussuf Mustafa Salehi - murderer, ramallah lynching.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

that's him the picture

Fuad Muhammad Abdulhadi Amrin - murdered 15 year old school girl

Tarek Ahmed Abd al-Karim Hasayin - murdered a 7 year old

Ahmed Jibril Othman al-Takruri - killed 3 children in a bus bombing

Abd-Al-Aziz Muhammad Amar - killed 7 in bombing, including two Americans

Abd al-Hadi Rafa Ghanim - killed 16, including 4 Americans.

just a rough list:

http://en.wikipedia.org...

over 100,000 gazans celebrated the release of these people. disgusting.