Jump to topic:

Prostitution Should Be Legal

jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 8:25:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Yup, I should be able to pay (or get paid) to have sex...

I believe in the free exchange of goods and services... and I mean all services...

So, yup, that means prostitution
President of DDO
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 8:30:54 PM
Heres the thing, I can't imagine a society where people did whatever they wanted outside the realm of aggression. I can't imagine drugs of the streets, prostitution open and legal. I'd be pretty depressed in a world like that because there ARE codes by which people are expected to act. Those codes change over time, but they always exist. I don't believe in tyranny of the majority, that sounds like nonsense. So, in light of those statements, prostitution should remain illegal if it is voted illegal and if the majority of the nation wants it illegal. We have a right to collectively establish morality for ourselves. That is absolute.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 8:38:38 PM
At 10/19/2011 8:30:54 PM, 000ike wrote:
Heres the thing, I can't imagine a society where people did whatever they wanted outside the realm of aggression. I can't imagine drugs of the streets, prostitution open and legal. I'd be pretty depressed in a world like that because there ARE codes by which people are expected to act. Those codes change over time, but they always exist. I don't believe in tyranny of the majority, that sounds like nonsense. So, in light of those statements, prostitution should remain illegal if it is voted illegal and if the majority of the nation wants it illegal. We have a right to collectively establish morality for ourselves. That is absolute.

We can have a "Moral Code" that is not enforced violently by a state...
President of DDO
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 8:39:08 PM
Is your right hand THAT tired?

I mean, something made you think about posting this topic...
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Deathbeforedishonour
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 8:41:32 PM

People have no bussiness telling other people what to do, it's hurting them all to let other people live out their lives the way they want. It truly is not hurting anyone.
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 8:42:49 PM
At 10/19/2011 8:38:38 PM, jimtimmy wrote:

We can have a "Moral Code" that is not enforced violently by a state...

I need the state the enforce these moral codes because I have no self-control and its cheaper then hiring a life coach. If it costs the tax payers extra money, or infringes on the rights of others, so be it so that my personal moral code will be in tact. My personal moral code involves vegetarianism, so I believe I should force my moral code on others.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 8:44:20 PM
Ike, what you're describing is tyranny of the majority. Restricting completely unaggressive behavior is as ridiculous as restricting my ability to play checkers because other people think it's morally abhorrent.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 8:49:24 PM
At 10/19/2011 8:44:20 PM, socialpinko wrote:
Ike, what you're describing is tyranny of the majority. Restricting completely unaggressive behavior is as ridiculous as restricting my ability to play checkers because other people think it's morally abhorrent.

I, like you, am against the state... But, I can tolerate those who want to have a state to control AGGRESSIVE behavior... I have a tougher time with those who want to regulate things like drugs and prostitution
President of DDO
quarterexchange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 8:49:50 PM
Heres the thing, I can't imagine a society where people did whatever they wanted outside the realm of aggression. I can't imagine drugs of the streets, prostitution open and legal. I'd be pretty depressed in a world like that because there ARE codes by which people are expected to act. Those codes change over time, but they always exist. I don't believe in tyranny of the majority, that sounds like nonsense. So, in light of those statements, prostitution should remain illegal if it is voted illegal and if the majority of the nation wants it illegal.We have a right to collectively establish morality for ourselves. That is absolute.

I don't get it, are you for or against tyranny of the majority? You just said you didn't believe in tryanny of the majority yet you believe that the majority has the right decide what is and isn't illegal.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 8:52:03 PM
At 10/19/2011 8:49:50 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
Heres the thing, I can't imagine a society where people did whatever they wanted outside the realm of aggression. I can't imagine drugs of the streets, prostitution open and legal. I'd be pretty depressed in a world like that because there ARE codes by which people are expected to act. Those codes change over time, but they always exist. I don't believe in tyranny of the majority, that sounds like nonsense. So, in light of those statements, prostitution should remain illegal if it is voted illegal and if the majority of the nation wants it illegal.We have a right to collectively establish morality for ourselves. That is absolute.

I don't get it, are you for or against tyranny of the majority? You just said you didn't believe in tryanny of the majority yet you believe that the majority has the right decide what is and isn't illegal.

I meant that I don't believe that such exists. There's no such thing. The majority can rule itself, and that is a tyranny of equal significance to the tyranny of parenting.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 8:53:35 PM
I agree. I note the irony (and rarity) that we currently have something (sex) which is illegal to give for a profit, but only legal to give for free.

I honestly think that what we REALLY are trying to illegalize is pimping. If we legalize prostitution in bordellos or brothels, it becomes legitimate, and protects prostitutes from the brutality of pimps.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Deathbeforedishonour
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 8:53:46 PM

Self-contradictory much? lol
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 8:55:59 PM
At 10/19/2011 8:53:46 PM, Deathbeforedishonour wrote:

Stop parroting what quarterexchange, slow your horses, and listen before making obnoxious comments.

By saying that I do not believe in tyranny of the majority I meant that such does not exist. It is not tyranny for the majority to decide rules for itself.
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 8:56:27 PM
At 10/19/2011 8:52:03 PM, 000ike wrote:

I meant that I don't believe that such exists. There's no such thing. The majority can rule itself, and that is a tyranny of equal significance to the tyranny of parenting.

Let's say that there are two hungry wolfs and a lamb (to borrow from Benjamin Franklin) voting on what to have for lunch... The wolfs would be for a "Democratic" way of deciding what to eat...
President of DDO
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 8:57:37 PM
At 10/19/2011 8:55:59 PM, 000ike wrote:

Stop parroting what quarterexchange, slow your horses, and listen before making obnoxious comments.

By saying that I do not believe in tyranny of the majority I meant that such does not exist. It is not tyranny for the majority to decide rules for itself.

So do you believe that the institutions of slavery and segregation were alright because it was based on "majority rule"?
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 8:58:07 PM

So...you're saying democracy....ISN'T a fvcked system?

quarterexchange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 9:00:28 PM

Sure the majority should be allowed to make rules for itself when it comes to morality, but in this case it's making rules for the minority, those want to offer sex for pay or pay to those offering sex.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 9:01:24 PM
At 10/19/2011 8:52:03 PM, 000ike wrote:

No one objects to someone or some entity ruling itself. What we object to is the majority ruling over the minority.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Deathbeforedishonour
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 9:03:23 PM

So your saying that if two guys came into your house with guns and voted you to death, that wouldn't be tyrrany?

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 9:09:27 PM
At 10/19/2011 9:03:23 PM, Deathbeforedishonour wrote:

So your saying that if two guys came into your house with guns and voted you to death, that wouldn't be tyrrany?

That's not tyranny of the majority. I agree that it exists, but bad example.

That's literally just two guys coming into your house and murdering you.

Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 9:11:36 PM
At 10/19/2011 9:09:27 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

Are you saying that it's not tyranny (rule by force,) or not a majority of the house (2 to 1)?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 9:11:36 PM

Okay, so they, the two guys with a gun and you, can vote on whether or not they should kill you... Then it is Democratic...
President of DDO
Deathbeforedishonour
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 9:12:28 PM

They both take a vote to kill him. lol now it is.

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 9:15:41 PM
At 10/19/2011 9:11:36 PM, jimtimmy wrote:

Okay, so they, the two guys with a gun and you, can vote on whether or not they should kill you... Then it is Democratic...

Eh. Either way, a direct democracy is a sh1tty system.

DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 9:39:29 PM
Prostitution is legal in only 1 of the 50 states (Nevada).

Legalizing prostitution would allow the government to produce a revenue both from fees, and taxes.
In Nevada prostitution licensing cost a fee of $200 to $100,000.

Legalizing Prostitution also allows for regulation of the industry.
To become a Licensed prostitute in Nevada you have to be at least 21 years old (18 for Storey County and Lyon County)
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 10:17:41 PM
A Democracy only Benefits the majority

"Democracy is when the indigent, and not the men of property, are the rulers." ~ Aristotle

"A democracy is a government in the hands of men of low birth, no property, and vulgar employment" ~ Aristotle

"n a democracy the poor will have more power than the rich, because there are more of them, and the will of the majority is supreme." ~ Aristotle

"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine." - Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." - John Adams

"Democracy will soon degenerate into an anarchy; such an anarchy that every man will do what is right in his own eyes and no man's life or property or reputation or liberty will be secure, and every one of these will soon mould itself into a system of subordination of all the moral virtues and intellectual abilities, all the powers of wealth, beauty, wit, and science, to the wanton pleasures, the capricious will, and the execrable [abominable] cruelty of one or a very few." - John Adams

A Republic benefits the whole Community

"Government being instituted for the common benefit, protection, and security, of the whole community, and not for the private interest or emolument of any one man, family, or class of men; therefore, whenever the ends of government are perverted, and public liberty manifestly endangered, and all other means of redress are ineffectual, the people may, and of right ought to reform the old, or establish a new government. The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind." ~ Section 1 Article 10 of the NH Constitution, June 2, 1784

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness." ~ Paragraph 2 of the Final Draft of the Declaration of Independence

"We hold these Truths to be self evident; that all Men are created equal and independent; that from that equal Creation they derive Rights inherent and unalienable; among which are the Preservation of Life, and Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness; that to secure these Ends, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just Powers from the Consent of the governed; that whenever, any form of Government shall become destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter, or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its Foundation on such Principles, and organizing its power in such Form, as to them shall Seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness." ~ Paragraph 2 of the Rough Draft of the Declaration of Independence

"We hold these truths to be self-evident that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their creator with inherent & inalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness; that to secure these rights governments are instituted among men deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed; that whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their happiness." ~ Paragraph 2 of Congress's Draft of the Declaration of Independence
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 10:30:02 PM
At 10/19/2011 10:17:41 PM, DanT wrote:
A Democracy only Benefits the majority

"Democracy is when the indigent, and not the men of property, are the rulers." ~ Aristotle

"A democracy is a government in the hands of men of low birth, no property, and vulgar employment" ~ Aristotle

"n a democracy the poor will have more power than the rich, because there are more of them, and the will of the majority is supreme." ~ Aristotle

"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine." - Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." - John Adams

"Democracy will soon degenerate into an anarchy; such an anarchy that every man will do what is right in his own eyes and no man's life or property or reputation or liberty will be secure, and every one of these will soon mould itself into a system of subordination of all the moral virtues and intellectual abilities, all the powers of wealth, beauty, wit, and science, to the wanton pleasures, the capricious will, and the execrable [abominable] cruelty of one or a very few." - John Adams

A Republic benefits the whole Community

"Government being instituted for the common benefit, protection, and security, of the whole community, and not for the private interest or emolument of any one man, family, or class of men; therefore, whenever the ends of government are perverted, and public liberty manifestly endangered, and all other means of redress are ineffectual, the people may, and of right ought to reform the old, or establish a new government. The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind." ~ Section 1 Article 10 of the NH Constitution, June 2, 1784

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness." ~ Paragraph 2 of the Final Draft of the Declaration of Independence

"We hold these Truths to be self evident; that all Men are created equal and independent; that from that equal Creation they derive Rights inherent and unalienable; among which are the Preservation of Life, and Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness; that to secure these Ends, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just Powers from the Consent of the governed; that whenever, any form of Government shall become destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter, or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its Foundation on such Principles, and organizing its power in such Form, as to them shall Seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness." ~ Paragraph 2 of the Rough Draft of the Declaration of Independence

"We hold these truths to be self-evident that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their creator with inherent & inalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness; that to secure these rights governments are instituted among men deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed; that whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their happiness." ~ Paragraph 2 of Congress's Draft of the Declaration of Independence

Republic is just another word for Democracy...
President of DDO
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2011 12:01:31 AM
At 10/19/2011 10:30:02 PM, jimtimmy wrote:

Republic is just another word for Democracy...

Wrong a Republic is another word for a polity.
Read book IV of Aristotle's Politics; http://www.constitution.org...
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2011 2:07:16 PM
Heres the thing, I can't imagine a society where people did whatever they wanted outside the realm of aggression. I can't imagine drugs of the streets, prostitution open and legal. I'd be pretty depressed in a world like that because there ARE codes by which people are expected to act. Those codes change over time, but they always exist. I don't believe in tyranny of the majority, that sounds like nonsense. So, in light of those statements, prostitution should remain illegal if it is voted illegal and if the majority of the nation wants it illegal. We have a right to collectively establish morality for ourselves. That is absolute.:

On what basis should it be illegal to begin with?

1. What's the difference between prostitutes and porn stars?
2. What's the difference between prostitutes and call girls?
3. What's the difference between paying someone for sex and having sex for free?
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2011 2:22:09 PM
I don't know how it works in America, but in Britain we sort of have a gentlemen's agreement about prostitution. What happens is that companies are allowed to provide 'escort services' where men pay to go out on dates with women. After the date the women are officially out of company time so if they want to have sex afterwards in their own time it isn't the business of the law.