Jump to topic:

Herman Cain: Self Sabotage

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2011 6:46:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I think Cain entered the race not expecting to win or be taken seriously. He entered to get famous, and sell his books, and now that he sees that he's dangerously close to nomination, he wants to do things to lower his rating in polls, so that he can eventually drop out.

1. His awful "apples and oranges" debate

2. His stance of abortion. Deliberately contrary to what Conservatives want to hear

3. This obviously unserious commercial to your right.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2011 6:49:31 PM
Regarding the abortion, perhaps he's simply stating what he believes, even if it is contrary to popular republican belief.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2011 7:50:58 PM
At 10/25/2011 7:42:13 PM, darkkermit wrote:
I think If he didn't want to become president he would just drop out of the race.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2011 11:17:38 PM
I think If he didn't want to become president he would just drop out of the race.

No, because that wouldn't be nearly as good for book sales or a potential TV show after the election.

Let's get real here. The guy comes on the scene with zero real political experience and no substantial policies. He openly admits that when it comes to most policies, for example EVERYTHING foreign policy related, he would rely on other people, including his anonymous advisers which we appeals to whenever he doesn't know what to say. He makes more flip-flops and gaffes than each candidate combined and recently said that the ability to admit those mistakes makes him more suitable for the President. Now, he releases an ad that's so downright ridiculous, most people thought it was a parody at first. It looks like it's been done in an hour at most. The ad includes his campaign manager blowing cigarette smoke into the camera. Nobody who seriously cared about getting elected would run a campaign like that.

Coincidentally, he recently released his autobiography, and has opted out of traditional campaigning in order to promote his book for he next few months.

What's more likely: that Herman Cain is more focused on winning the Republican nomination, or that he views this campaign as a good way to get some media attention, promote his book, and maybe get a TV show after election season is over? Sorry but it's kind of a no brainer.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 3:11:29 AM
At 10/25/2011 11:17:38 PM, jat93 wrote:

No, because that wouldn't be nearly as good for book sales or a potential TV show after the election.

Let's get real here. The guy comes on the scene with zero real political experience and no substantial policies. He openly admits that when it comes to most policies, for example EVERYTHING foreign policy related, he would rely on other people, including his anonymous advisers which we appeals to whenever he doesn't know what to say. He makes more flip-flops and gaffes than each candidate combined and recently said that the ability to admit those mistakes makes him more suitable for the President. Now, he releases an ad that's so downright ridiculous, most people thought it was a parody at first. It looks like it's been done in an hour at most. The ad includes his campaign manager blowing cigarette smoke into the camera. Nobody who seriously cared about getting elected would run a campaign like that.

Coincidentally, he recently released his autobiography, and has opted out of traditional campaigning in order to promote his book for he next few months.

What's more likely: that Herman Cain is more focused on winning the Republican nomination, or that he views this campaign as a good way to get some media attention, promote his book, and maybe get a TV show after election season is over? Sorry but it's kind of a no brainer.

This. I was just about to say that. I'm actually quite baffled that anyone would take "U-becky-becky-becky-becky-stan" seriously as a response. On top of that, how would it look if Herman Cain dropped out of the race while at the TOP of the polls?? Not very good, it would look like his whole campaign was a lie. He wants to go down in polls so that he can more easily drop out.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 6:35:43 AM
At 10/25/2011 6:49:31 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Regarding the abortion, perhaps he's simply stating what he believes, even if it is contrary to popular republican belief.

So he really does believe that the family should have a choice regarding abortion, and that the choice of abortion should be illegal, simultaneously?
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 8:52:23 AM
I think If he didn't want to become president he would just drop out of the race.:

LOL, Ockham's Razor for the win!

No, can't you see there's an elaborate conspiracy to purposefully reduce himself in to a blundering idiot?! This is obviously the best tactic to sell books.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 8:58:38 AM
At 10/26/2011 8:52:23 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
I think If he didn't want to become president he would just drop out of the race.:

No, can't you see there's an elaborate conspiracy to purposefully reduce himself in to a blundering idiot?! This is obviously the best tactic to sell books.

No mixed up the actions and purposes.

Join the election, get famous ---------> To sell books and get a future tv show

He gets VERY popular, and it looks like he might win

Sabotage your campaign ---------> To get MUCH lower in the polls so that dropping out will not be suspicious. If he drops out while leading the polls, that makes his whole campaign look very suspicious.

He's a businessman, he never wanted the presidency, he wanted money and fame, and he got it.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 9:08:37 AM
At 10/26/2011 8:58:38 AM, 000ike wrote:

No mixed up the actions and purposes.

Join the election, get famous ---------> To sell books and get a future tv show:

He gets VERY popular, and it looks like he might win

Sabotage your campaign ---------> To get MUCH lower in the polls so that dropping out will not be suspicious. If he drops out while leading the polls, that makes his whole campaign look very suspicious.

How's he gonna sell books if he makes himself look ridiculous? That doesn't make any sense. Even supposing he didn't really intend on winning, wouldn't it be a lot smarter to drop out and say it was due to personal matters? How is discrediting oneself going to make people want to buy books? How would making himself look stupid advance his career as a business man, a politician, or a writer?

Your theory seems to be a bit of a stretch... but I do agree that the add did not help him in any way.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 10:36:55 AM

Worked out pretty well for Palin.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 10:54:43 AM
At 10/26/2011 10:36:55 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Yes, Palin was certainly the Brer Rabbit.

Why so much credit to Palin, Oregon?
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 11:27:49 AM
At 10/26/2011 10:54:43 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 10/26/2011 10:36:55 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Yes, Palin was certainly the Brer Rabbit.

Why so much credit to Palin, Oregon?

Not sure what you are asking. She certainly turned her VP nomination into a boat load of publicity and money (through books and tv shows). While I believe that it is unlikely she was planning it from the start and she was merely trying to make the best of a situation. It is no stretch of the imagination to believe that others may then intentionally try to follow in her footsteps.