Jump to topic:

Occupy Wall Street

BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2011 12:17:38 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I read an article the other day which basically asked what would it take for it to be considered a "success". The summary was that no one really knows. They don't have a list of demands or anything, so i don't really see the point. Are politicians going to change their policies because of a few protesters in New York who aren't even saying what they want?
DHDebate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2011 12:21:16 AM
At 11/3/2011 12:17:38 AM, BlackVoid wrote:
I read an article the other day which basically asked what would it take for it to be considered a "success". The summary was that no one really knows. They don't have a list of demands or anything, so i don't really see the point. Are politicians going to change their policies because of a few protesters in New York who aren't even saying what they want?

I agree 100%, it's not even a real protest. It's just a bunch of broke people who've decided it would be a good idea to quit their jobs, spend their savings traveling to the protests, and complain at the fact that other people have money and they don't. It's an angry bitter mess.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2011 12:28:33 AM

There's a few forums out there that lists there "demands". The original was laughably bad. One demand was elimination of all debt. The revised version is more sensible but I disagree with them:

http://occupywallst.org...

My main problem with them is its too much based on "I hate the rich". There are people out there that cheat the system to make themselves wealthier, but one shouldn't demonize the rich that created value to society.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2011 12:29:31 AM
There are infact objectives, really silly unrealistic things though.

I'll try and find it now.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
forrestonfire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2011 10:08:12 PM

Its actually pretty obvious that they want corporate control over our political system to stop. The richest and most powerful 1% of the population has bought out most if not all of our politicians. No true democracy is attainable when the process is determined by economic power. There are many specific grievances and demands but they all boil down to the root of the problem: the 1%.
"Are we perhaps living in a time when leaderless groups can flourish thanks to the open-source, peer-to-peer sharing, social networking wonders we enjoy? With cheap, instant communication and vast amounts of information at our fingertips, could we run a society without a ruling hierarchy?"
—John Yemma
randolph7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2011 10:48:36 PM
At 11/3/2011 12:28:33 AM, darkkermit wrote:

There's a few forums out there that lists there "demands". The original was laughably bad. One demand was elimination of all debt. The revised version is more sensible but I disagree with them:

My main problem with them is its too much based on "I hate the rich". There are people out there that cheat the system to make themselves wealthier, but one shouldn't demonize the rich that created value to society.

I agree with 1,2 and 5. Wall Street does need more effective regulation but the other demands I can't completely get behind.
"ahh but i have indeed found the burdon of truth the, muffs have found it. oh mothy dear dear mothy"
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2011 11:33:46 PM
At 11/3/2011 10:48:36 PM, randolph7 wrote:
At 11/3/2011 12:28:33 AM, darkkermit wrote:

I agree with 1,2 and 5. Wall Street does need more effective regulation but the other demands I can't completely get behind.

You don't like number 7?
Open borders debate:
ScarletGhost4396
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 2:37:15 AM
If you want my two cents on the entire movement, it is both pointless and not pointless. I say this because the Occupy Wall Street movement is more of a protest of a general idea rather than a specific tax code or economic legislation, and this idea that they are protesting against is capitalism. For those of you who haven't read Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States, we can clearly see that the main idea behind the system of capitalism is that we place economic interests over human values and sanctity/quality of life, and even though I strongly support capitalism considering that it's the only economic system that has really worked in society, I have to partially agree with the protestors on just how insidious this system really is.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 2:52:19 AM
place economic interests over human values
That's a meaningless construct. Economic interests are human values that take into account the fact of scarcity.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 4:18:28 AM
They are all retarded. Seriously. Watch this ----> http://althouse.blogspot.com...

Exhibit 1) her name

Exhibit 2) how she describes her gender

Exhibit 3) their retarded hand gestures
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 5:36:00 AM
At 11/4/2011 4:18:28 AM, bluesteel wrote:
They are all retarded. Seriously. Watch this ----> http://althouse.blogspot.com...

Exhibit 1) her name

Exhibit 2) how she describes her gender

Exhibit 3) their retarded hand gestures

So sad, how disrespectfully treated intelligent and politically active youth are.

Very intriguing to see that they're so organized, while maintaining an organization that remains true to its personal philosophy, i.e., the absence of a figurehead or commoditization like t-shirts.

Given that they make good points founded in facts of our latter day global society, although they may not completely understand the dynamics that led to the situation we're in, it's no surprise that they would be mocked and derided.

Of course, when people act out and decide that they'd prefer violent anarchy to the current state system, people wonder where all of the peaceful, politically activated youth are that aren't stuck watching television or wasting time on social network sites.

I respect these people and I believe that the disgusting response they're getting from our media serves as nothing but a mortifying embarrassment to our nation.

Way to promote positive social behavior.
forrestonfire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 8:51:12 AM
At 11/4/2011 2:52:19 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
That's a meaningless construct. Economic interests are human values that take into account the fact of scarcity.

Except the economic interests of the ruling class will always remain inherently antagonistic to the rest of humanity. Their gain generally equals our loss.
"Are we perhaps living in a time when leaderless groups can flourish thanks to the open-source, peer-to-peer sharing, social networking wonders we enjoy? With cheap, instant communication and vast amounts of information at our fingertips, could we run a society without a ruling hierarchy?"
—John Yemma
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 8:57:20 AM
At 11/4/2011 8:51:12 AM, forrestonfire wrote:

Except the economic interests of the ruling class will always remain inherently antagonistic to the rest of humanity. Their gain generally equals our loss.

zero sum game fallacy
Open borders debate:
ScarletGhost4396
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2011 4:08:16 PM

Oops, I misstated that. I meant to say the value of human beings.
Cobo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2011 5:25:48 PM
At 11/3/2011 12:21:16 AM, DHDebate wrote:

I agree 100%, it's not even a real protest. It's just a bunch of broke people who've decided it would be a good idea to quit their jobs, spend their savings traveling to the protests, and complain at the fact that other people have money and they don't. It's an angry bitter mess.

This.
I hate the fact that many of those people work their Asres off for that money and the people who don't want to work that hard want to tax them.
Plus has anyone heard of that small counter movement?
That 53% or something? Has to do with taxes, but i forgot...
Church of the BANHAMMER GODS priest