Jump to topic:

Free Bieber

I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2011 5:40:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
The U.S. Congress is attempting to pass a law making it legal to make posting a video of a person singing someone elses works a felony. Essentially, this could send Justin Bieber to jail. Although I wouldn't necessarily discourage this, the bill is f*cking stupid.

http://freebieber.org...

It boils down to an intellectual property debate, but seriously. America never fails to amaze me.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2011 5:42:30 PM
At 11/5/2011 5:40:27 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
The U.S. Congress is attempting to pass a law making it legal to make posting a video of a person singing someone elses works a felony.

WHat is that supposed to even mean?
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2011 5:45:19 PM
At 11/5/2011 5:42:30 PM, darkkermit wrote:
The U.S. Congress is attempting to pass a law making it legal to make posting a video of a person singing someone elses works a felony.

Ugh, went to type a sentence and changed it halfway through >_> Check the website, explain it far more eloquently.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2011 5:49:18 PM
At 11/5/2011 5:45:19 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Ugh, went to type a sentence and changed it halfway through >_> Check the website, explain it far more eloquently.

There's no way it will pass and it will be near impossible to enforce.
Open borders debate:
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2011 6:39:44 PM
The U.S. Congress is attempting to pass a law making it legal to make posting a video of a person singing someone elses works a felony. Essentially, this could send Justin Bieber to jail. Although I wouldn't necessarily discourage this, the bill is f*cking stupid.

It boils down to an intellectual property debate, but seriously. America never fails to amaze me.

So no more Youtube?
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2011 7:14:13 PM
At 11/5/2011 6:39:44 PM, socialpinko wrote:

So no more Youtube?

Ikr?

That's preposterous.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2011 7:41:56 PM
At 11/5/2011 5:49:18 PM, darkkermit wrote:

You know this is a joke right?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2011 9:24:52 PM
At 11/5/2011 7:41:56 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 11/5/2011 5:49:18 PM, darkkermit wrote:

You know this is a joke right?

It's real:

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Although it should be noted the details state:
"commercial advantage or personal financial gain"

So youtube videos of covers would be allowed. Although the wording is strange. How does one define "commercial advantage". I mean If you become famous for posting song covers and ten start your own album for profit later in life then isn't that "commercial advantage"?
Open borders debate:
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2011 11:41:21 PM
I'm not for laws at all. I am against this on that ground.

However, I will say that I can understand where this law is coming from. If you live in the ghetto, you know that a lot of people actually make a good buck off of selling pirated copies of movies, CDs, and things like that. When they do that, the money does not go to the people who put the effort into making the art in question.

No money to the artists = no more art.

Still, if you are going into the music biz, live performance is where you are going to really make your money. I like bootlegging of concerts, because I don't record my own shows! If someone records it for me, that means I can listen back to it. But, assuming I did record my shows, I am all for the spreading of these things, because I look at it from a marketing perspective.

When it comes to music, I have no problem making my money off of live performances. A live show is a completely different experience than a pre-recorded show. Right now, the live experience has something to offer. Technology may change this in the future, but I'm not going to be depressed about it until that happens.

Most of the stuff I record is free. As long as you are small, the things you record are not going to be pirated anyway. If it ever gets to the point to where my high quality studio work gets enough attention to actually be worth pirating, I'll probably be making enough money to where I won't really care too much.

Of course, more money means more that I can invest in the art, but I'm being realistic about it. Piracy is going to happen whether I like it or not.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Deathbeforedishonour
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 12:17:14 AM
If it becomes law there will be so many people lined up at the people who passed its houses waiting to shoot the idiots lol i'd be one of them.
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 12:19:13 AM
Yer all criminals.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 12:22:28 AM
At 11/5/2011 11:41:21 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

Yea, they're all so poor with their million dollar salary.
Open borders debate:
nerdykiller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 1:29:19 AM

I heard that at school in my TV production class.
I think this is a possible law, I mean youtube already has the flag system and have the ability to block you, so I think this is probable.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 1:40:45 AM
At 11/6/2011 12:22:28 AM, darkkermit wrote:

Trust me when I say, it is a great minority of "artists" who make million dollar salaries.

It isn't easy making it in that business, it requires a lot of work.. And most of the artists who do make it, are not making a million dollar salary.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 1:54:21 AM

How the hell would it put beaver in jail? Only those who break the law after it's passed would be punished.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 1:58:50 AM

Which is paid for by;
A.) record sales
B.) Tooth Fairy

Guess correctly and you get a cookie
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
nerdykiller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 2:03:07 AM
At 11/6/2011 1:58:50 AM, DanT wrote:

Which is paid for by;
A.) record sales
B.) Tooth Fairy

Guess correctly and you get a cookie

TOOTH FAIRY!!!
TROLOLOL
well answer is A
anyway um...
i think they would put Bieber in jail since he is the iconic example that they can use to insure that this law can be effective. I mean come on if you put a random guy in jail nothing happens, but if you put a star that gained fame in jail that proves a point. That point is that the USA government is serious about this law and will do their best to enforce it.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 2:12:23 AM
The government is the puppet of big business. They work in the favor of those who who throw money at them.

The problem with our government is that it gives power and authority to businesses that are failing capitalistically. These business attempt to screw with the rules in order to give them an edge.

And you know what? I don't really blame the businesses for doing this.. However, in the end, I feel that this type of legislation hurts freedom more than it protects it.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 11:51:13 AM
At 11/6/2011 1:54:21 AM, DanT wrote:

How the hell would it put beaver in jail? Only those who break the law after it's passed would be punished.

Dude, it's Anon joking.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 12:06:29 PM
At 11/6/2011 1:40:45 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

Trust me when I say, it is a great minority of "artists" who make million dollar salaries.

I agree with you on that. However, why should one care about the majority of the "struggling" artists when there is only a demand for a relatively small number of musicians. Low-paid musicians can leave their occupation and go work in other fields If he/she doesn't feel compensated "fairly".

It isn't easy making it in that business, it requires a lot of work.

Nobody is forcing one to go into the music industry. If you don't want to make the effort to make the salary then don't go into the industry.

. And most of the artists who do make it, are not making a million dollar salary.

Really?!

http://www.therichest.org...

Give me a break.
Open borders debate:
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 1:07:35 PM
At 11/6/2011 12:06:29 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 11/6/2011 1:40:45 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

I agree with you on that. However, why should one care about the majority of the "struggling" artists when there is only a demand for a relatively small number of musicians. Low-paid musicians can leave their occupation and go work in other fields If he/she doesn't feel compensated "fairly".

It isn't easy making it in that business, it requires a lot of work.

Nobody is forcing one to go into the music industry. If you don't want to make the effort to make the salary then don't go into the industry.

. And most of the artists who do make it, are not making a million dollar salary.

Really?!

http://www.therichest.org...

Give me a break.

I find your entire post to be moronically presumptuous.

Do you really believe that most artists who make it are millionaires? What do you think I mean by "making it?". I'm talking about being able to live and support yourself off of your art. Unless you are packing stadiums, you aren't going to be making millions of dollars.

And for Christs sake, all you have to do is look at what my earlier posts say to realize that I am ultimately against this legislation.

However, it is very obvious that most people don't really understand the point of the law. I'm making it clear.

This is a law that is meant to target people who pirate or bootleg a product that was made by an artist, and then sell it for their own personal gain. The artist gets nothing.

I said very clearly that if you are big enough to where this becomes an issue, it isn't going to effect you that much. If you are tiny, you feel the effects more, but it can be looked at from a marketing perspective. Either way, as an artist, I would never be dependent on a product that can easily be pirated. Live performance is something that won't lose its demand until technology allows you to experience the same thing from the comforts of your own home.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 1:15:24 PM
At 11/6/2011 1:07:35 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

Do you really believe that most artists who make it are millionaires? What do you think I mean by "making it?". I'm talking about being able to live and support yourself off of your art. Unless you are packing stadiums, you aren't going to be making millions of dollars.

But they point is that there are artists that make the millions and continue to do so even in the 'pirating music' ae. I really don't care so much for the 'struggling artist' because they choose to be that way. Nobody is forcing them to be a musician.

This is a law that is meant to target people who pirate or bootleg a product that was made by an artist, and then sell it for their own personal gain. The artist gets nothing.

Recognition? A musician is more likely to make money through concerts then actual sales of their music. Plus some people that are exposed to the music might feel they want to 'pay' for the music anyways out of respect.

I said very clearly that if you are big enough to where this becomes an issue, it isn't going to effect you that much. If you are tiny, you feel the effects more, but it can be looked at from a marketing perspective.

But as I said, I don't necessarily feel bad for he 'struggling artist' that chooses this option.
Open borders debate:
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 1:18:24 PM
I'm not even going to address your last post, because you very clearly aren't absorbing a thing I'm saying. You are arguing for the sake of arguing, possibly just trolling.

But for the record, that "No more money = No more art" statement was quite a bit of hyperbole.

In all seriousness, certain art forms require a lot of money in order to meet the standard of quality that people are accustomed to now.

Video games, movies, and certain types of music(orchestral music can get really pricey, there is a lot that goes into it) tend to require a lot of time, effort, and yes, money.

Though, if you like cheesy horror movies, retro style video games, and under practices bar bands, you aren't going to have much of a problem.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 1:22:52 PM
At 11/6/2011 1:18:24 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
I'm not even going to address your last post, because you very clearly aren't absorbing a thing I'm saying. You are arguing for the sake of arguing, possibly just trolling.

What is your point? Sorry If I'm missing it. Your point is that lower recognized artists will not be able to make ends meet due to copyright infringement. I simply don't care. Is there anything I missed?

In all seriousness, certain art forms require a lot of money in order to meet the standard of quality that people are accustomed to now.

Video games, movies, and certain types of music(orchestral music can get really pricey, there is a lot that goes into it) tend to require a lot of time, effort, and yes, money.

Yes, I am general against pirating of video games and movies that are much more expensive to produce. However it does not take much cost in labor to make an album.
Open borders debate:
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 1:32:26 PM
At 11/6/2011 1:22:52 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 11/6/2011 1:18:24 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

What is your point? Sorry If I'm missing it. Your point is that lower recognized artists will not be able to make ends meet due to copyright infringement. I simply don't care. Is there anything I missed?

Yes, everything, because that isn't what I'm saying.

Either your reading comprehension sucks, or you are only reading parts of what I'm posting. Your attempts at dissecting my words is causing you to miss what I'm saying entirely.

I'm not trying to garner sympathy, that's stupid. If anything, I'm advocating the position of being adaptable to the ever changing economy. I'm a pure capitalist. As I've repeatedly said, I'm against the law.

Get the picture, dawg foo gangsta?
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 1:34:48 PM
Damn, I swear, you didn't get anything about what I was saying. I lay down facts, and you think I'm trying to make an emotional point to support the opposite of what I'm saying.

That's fvcked.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 1:36:43 PM
....and I'm not saying that lower ended artists won't be able to support themselves that's clearly a stupid and false assertion.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 1:45:21 PM
Yes, I was just looking at the "No money to the artists = no more art."

This is the main point I disagree with, although you already said it was a hyperbole.

Yes, I see that you are against the law.
Open borders debate:
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 1:52:11 PM
Pirating media is actually a very good thing culturally for America.

Like Cosmic so eloquently pointed out, this has the effect of increasing the value of live concerts. More artists will submit less piratable media to the point where if you want a free musical entertainment experience, the best you are going to get is a shoddy bouncy phone-cam recording on youtube.

Our country already is too secluded and isolated sitting impassively in front of tv's and computers with no social interaction.

Culturally it is a great thing that the media pirates are forcing us out into the sun and with each other.

I get ya Cosmic!