Total Posts:27|Showing Posts:1-27
Jump to topic:

Anarcho-capitalism

Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 4:50:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I have been toying with the idea of AnCap for a few days.

What I've been wondering is:
How do you stop the widespread corruption that will occur in a AnCap society.

If everything were privatized, how would you stop things like this from happening:
http://www.reuters.com...

Wouldn't courts benefit from sending mass numbers of people to jail?

The only solution that I can come up to this is the fact that privatization will make other courts observant of corruption. Therefore, exposing it to eliminate competition. But this is iffy at best.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 5:38:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
The thing about An-cap is this... What will happen is that it will eventually build up into a society that probably won't seem much different than what we have today.

Anarcho capitalism is about abolishing the state, which has too much influence over the economy. The idea is to let capitalism run free.

The problem is, you can not prevent the rise of states. People willingly form states.

Anarcho-capitalism is the purest form of Ideological Anarchy there is. The real problem with An-Cap though is that is philosophically elevates the state to being something different than the other institutions that work in the economy. Effectively, they are guilty of a type of special pleading.

Once you get past the idea of treating the state differently, you are left with the Anarcho-Realist philosophy, which is the purest understanding of Anarchy that there is. It is accepting the fact that anarchy is already here, and it always has been. Anarchy is the rule of the world. The perceptions that people have to the contrary are from the effects of Chaos Magic.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
jimtimmy
Posts: 3,953
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 5:45:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/6/2011 5:38:19 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
The thing about An-cap is this... What will happen is that it will eventually build up into a society that probably won't seem much different than what we have today.


Anarcho capitalism is about abolishing the state, which has too much influence over the economy. The idea is to let capitalism run free.

The problem is, you can not prevent the rise of states. People willingly form states.


Anarcho-capitalism is the purest form of Ideological Anarchy there is. The real problem with An-Cap though is that is philosophically elevates the state to being something different than the other institutions that work in the economy. Effectively, they are guilty of a type of special pleading.

Once you get past the idea of treating the state differently, you are left with the Anarcho-Realist philosophy, which is the purest understanding of Anarchy that there is. It is accepting the fact that anarchy is already here, and it always has been. Anarchy is the rule of the world. The perceptions that people have to the contrary are from the effects of Chaos Magic.

True.

However, I believe that humans will development beyond the point of states.
President of DDO
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 5:47:49 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/6/2011 4:50:47 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
I have been toying with the idea of AnCap for a few days.

What I've been wondering is:
How do you stop the widespread corruption that will occur in a AnCap society.

If everything were privatized, how would you stop things like this from happening:
http://www.reuters.com...

Wouldn't courts benefit from sending mass numbers of people to jail?

The only solution that I can come up to this is the fact that privatization will make other courts observant of corruption. Therefore, exposing it to eliminate competition. But this is iffy at best.

You can't be an an-cap and be worried about corruption, you either accept it as a necessary flaw or embrace it as a positive virtue. In an an-cap society only money counts. Employers will have a vested interest in weeding out corrupt subordinates and consumers may avoid 'corrupt' corporations and venues but by and large what we would call corruption ought to be endemic.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 5:53:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
If you look at the "failed states index":

http://www.fundforpeace.org...

You'll notice an interest index, the "security apparatus" index. It basically measures whether "another" state is forming withing a state. For example, Somalia is listed number 1 on the list, closest thing to anarcho-capitalist.

Keep on scrolling down the list and you'll notice that nations closest to anarcho-capitalism do not perform well economically:

http://www.fundforpeace.org...

While these nations appear to perform well on economic freedoms in terms of government spending, they do poorly on other freedoms such as property rights:

http://www.heritage.org...

So the empirical data proves that a strong government is needed in order to protect the property rights of others and that government is needed to protect the economic freedom of others.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 5:54:49 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I've honestly never understood this entire idea. "An-com" or "An-cap" just falls under the general category of anarchy - or namely, "an-gangs rule the streets and everyone is scared as f**k." The strongest gang maybe becomes "government", but I've always have trouble envisioning these theoretical ideologies in real life. Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but in my mind life under anarchy is nasty, brutish, and short.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 5:59:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/6/2011 5:54:49 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
I've honestly never understood this entire idea. "An-com" or "An-cap" just falls under the general category of anarchy - or namely, "an-gangs rule the streets and everyone is scared as f**k." The strongest gang maybe becomes "government", but I've always have trouble envisioning these theoretical ideologies in real life. Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but in my mind life under anarchy is nasty, brutish, and short.

Agreed.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 6:03:15 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/6/2011 5:59:19 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 11/6/2011 5:54:49 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
I've honestly never understood this entire idea. "An-com" or "An-cap" just falls under the general category of anarchy - or namely, "an-gangs rule the streets and everyone is scared as f**k." The strongest gang maybe becomes "government", but I've always have trouble envisioning these theoretical ideologies in real life. Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but in my mind life under anarchy is nasty, brutish, and short.

Agreed.

I was just about to type that, but then I imagined sociopatho descending on it with some insult or another, and I decided not to.

I agree as well with OMG. How does one configure a society in which lays the possibility of a monopoly on justice?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
jimtimmy
Posts: 3,953
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 6:04:02 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/6/2011 4:50:47 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
I have been toying with the idea of AnCap for a few days.

What I've been wondering is:
How do you stop the widespread corruption that will occur in a AnCap society.

If everything were privatized, how would you stop things like this from happening:
http://www.reuters.com...

Wouldn't courts benefit from sending mass numbers of people to jail?

The only solution that I can come up to this is the fact that privatization will make other courts observant of corruption. Therefore, exposing it to eliminate competition. But this is iffy at best.

Here's how law worked in stateless Iceland:

http://www.daviddfriedman.com...

It worked quite well here. Stateless law also worked in Ireland, the American West, and even Somalia.

The key point to remember is that courts are only given power because they are supported by the people. Without popular support, a court has no power.
President of DDO
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 6:09:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/6/2011 6:04:02 PM, jimtimmy wrote:
At 11/6/2011 4:50:47 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
I have been toying with the idea of AnCap for a few days.

What I've been wondering is:
How do you stop the widespread corruption that will occur in a AnCap society.

If everything were privatized, how would you stop things like this from happening:
http://www.reuters.com...

Wouldn't courts benefit from sending mass numbers of people to jail?

The only solution that I can come up to this is the fact that privatization will make other courts observant of corruption. Therefore, exposing it to eliminate competition. But this is iffy at best.

Here's how law worked in stateless Iceland:

You can not cite Iceland as an example of anarcho-capitalism, decentralised clan based feudalism does not make for anarchism.


http://www.daviddfriedman.com...


It worked quite well here. Stateless law also worked in Ireland, the American West, and even Somalia.

Ireland was never stateless... neither was the American West, Somalia can not be held as a working example of anything.

The key point to remember is that courts are only given power because they are supported by the people. Without popular support, a court has no power.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 6:16:12 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/6/2011 6:03:15 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 11/6/2011 5:59:19 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 11/6/2011 5:54:49 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
I've honestly never understood this entire idea. "An-com" or "An-cap" just falls under the general category of anarchy - or namely, "an-gangs rule the streets and everyone is scared as f**k." The strongest gang maybe becomes "government", but I've always have trouble envisioning these theoretical ideologies in real life. Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but in my mind life under anarchy is nasty, brutish, and short.

Agreed.

I was just about to type that, but then I imagined sociopatho

Are you the pot or the kettle?

descending on it with some insult or another, and I decided not to.

I agree as well with OMG. How does one configure a society in which lays the possibility of a monopoly on justice?
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 6:30:17 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/6/2011 5:54:49 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
I've honestly never understood this entire idea. "An-com" or "An-cap" just falls under the general category of anarchy

The differences lie in how they wish society to be organized in a state of anarchy.

- or namely, "an-gangs rule the streets and everyone is scared as f**k."

Proof that this would occur? The problem with any debate on anarchism is that people are so used to the monocentric justice system, that anything different must be bad, regardless of the incredibly hollow justification for said monocentrism in the first place.

The strongest gang maybe becomes "government", but I've always have trouble envisioning these theoretical ideologies in real life. Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but in my mind life under anarchy is nasty, brutish, and short.

I think you're being pessimistic but that's just me.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 6:36:44 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
neither was the American West, Somalia can not be held as a working example of anything.

I understand your point about the American West being de facto stateless, but not much beyond that. Murder rates in the Old West were very high, and if folklore and movies have any semblance of truth I just don't see how you can view the Wild West as a model. This period of notorious not for its writers, inventors, or politicians - but for its criminals! I'm not going to address the Somalia point; my quote in Ore_Ele's sig is a direct response to someone reference Somalia as a model society because, after all, it's not like Nazi Germany.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 6:44:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/6/2011 6:36:44 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
neither was the American West, Somalia can not be held as a working example of anything.

I understand your point about the American West being de facto stateless, but not much beyond that. Murder rates in the Old West were very high, and if folklore and movies have any semblance of truth I just don't see how you can view the Wild West as a model. This period of notorious not for its writers, inventors, or politicians - but for its criminals!

I'm sorry, but never ever use movies as your model. It's all bullsh!t.

However, I would not consider the "old wild west" even close to anarcho-capitalism.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 6:46:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Wikipedia:

While the profit motive dominated the movement westward, the Federal government played a vital role in securing land and maintaining law and order, which allowed the expansion to proceed. Despite the Jeffersonian aversion and mistrust of federal power, it bore more heavily in the West than any other region, and made possible the fulfillment of Manifest Destiny. Since local governments were often absent or weak, Westerners, though they grumbled about it, depended on the federal government to protect them and their rights, and displayed little of the outright antipathy of some Easterners to Federalism.[16]

The federal government established a sequence of actions related to control over western lands. First, it acquired western territory from other nations or native tribes by treaty, then it sent surveyors and explorers to map and document the land, next it ordered federal troops to clear out and subdue the resisting natives, and finally, it had bureaucracies manage the land, such as the Bureau of Indian Affairs, the Land Office, the U.S. Geological Survey, and the Forest Service. The process was not a smooth one. Indian resistance, sectionalism, and racism forced some pauses in the process of westward settlement. Nonetheless, by the end of the 19th century, in the process of conquering and managing the West, the federal government amassed great size, power, and influence in national affairs


Yea the federal government was heavily involved in the west.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 6:51:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/6/2011 6:44:08 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 11/6/2011 6:36:44 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
neither was the American West, Somalia can not be held as a working example of anything.

I understand your point about the American West being de facto stateless, but not much beyond that. Murder rates in the Old West were very high, and if folklore and movies have any semblance of truth I just don't see how you can view the Wild West as a model. This period of notorious not for its writers, inventors, or politicians - but for its criminals!

I'm sorry, but never ever use movies as your model. It's all bullsh!t.

However, I would not consider the "old wild west" even close to anarcho-capitalism.

It was a corollary point, but I do have statistics behind homicide rates in the Wild West. It's difficult to get a full-scale picture, but it's safe to say the facts we have now confirm the image of a violent Wild West where outlaws held substantial power. Still, you've got the folklore, the names of famous criminals - this certainly tells us something about an era.
jimtimmy
Posts: 3,953
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 6:56:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/6/2011 6:36:44 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
neither was the American West, Somalia can not be held as a working example of anything.

I understand your point about the American West being de facto stateless, but not much beyond that. Murder rates in the Old West were very high, and if folklore and movies have any semblance of truth I just don't see how you can view the Wild West as a model. This period of notorious not for its writers, inventors, or politicians - but for its criminals! I'm not going to address the Somalia point; my quote in Ore_Ele's sig is a direct response to someone reference Somalia as a model society because, after all, it's not like Nazi Germany.

Interesting fact, the "civilized" east had higher murder rates than the "wild" west.
President of DDO
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 7:01:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/6/2011 6:51:32 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 11/6/2011 6:44:08 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 11/6/2011 6:36:44 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
neither was the American West, Somalia can not be held as a working example of anything.

I understand your point about the American West being de facto stateless, but not much beyond that. Murder rates in the Old West were very high, and if folklore and movies have any semblance of truth I just don't see how you can view the Wild West as a model. This period of notorious not for its writers, inventors, or politicians - but for its criminals!

I'm sorry, but never ever use movies as your model. It's all bullsh!t.

However, I would not consider the "old wild west" even close to anarcho-capitalism.

It was a corollary point, but I do have statistics behind homicide rates in the Wild West.

Care to show.

It's difficult to get a full-scale picture, but it's safe to say the facts we have now confirm the image of a violent Wild West where outlaws held substantial power.

Hollywood loves to create myths.

Still, you've got the folklore, the names of famous criminals - this certainly tells us something about an era.

Many of the famous criminals tales are exaggerated. Hey murders in the US happen all the time.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 7:02:43 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Proof that this would occur? The problem with any debate on anarchism is that people are so used to the monocentric justice system, that anything different must be bad, regardless of the incredibly hollow justification for said monocentrism in the first place.

There's been police strikes in Canada where the police had to be forced back to work to restore order. A similar situation occurred in Melbourne in 1923; what do you think follows when order and laws suddenly vanish? People become scared. They don't cooperatively order into an an-cap society with established contracts and a private court, segments of the population will go around raping and mugging because there's no one to stop them.

Maybe in a small scale, homogenous society anarchy has some degree of plausibility in terms of what we would commonly consider working. On a larger scale, I just can't see it - I can't really even envision solutions to the most basic problems of safety and justice.
jimtimmy
Posts: 3,953
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 7:08:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/6/2011 7:02:43 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
Proof that this would occur? The problem with any debate on anarchism is that people are so used to the monocentric justice system, that anything different must be bad, regardless of the incredibly hollow justification for said monocentrism in the first place.

There's been police strikes in Canada where the police had to be forced back to work to restore order. A similar situation occurred in Melbourne in 1923; what do you think follows when order and laws suddenly vanish? People become scared. They don't cooperatively order into an an-cap society with established contracts and a private court, segments of the population will go around raping and mugging because there's no one to stop them.

Maybe in a small scale, homogenous society anarchy has some degree of plausibility in terms of what we would commonly consider working. On a larger scale, I just can't see it - I can't really even envision solutions to the most basic problems of safety and justice.

That is called short term anarchy.

There have been many examples of large scale stateless societies being successful.
President of DDO
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 7:10:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Care to show.

A study by Randy Roth, confirming previous studies by historians McKenna and Del Mar summarizes his findings "An adult exposed to [Wild West murder rates:between 60-70/100,000] rate for sixteen years stood a 1 in 96 chance of being murdered, and an adult exposed to that rate for 45 years would have stood a 1 in 34 chance of being murdered."

The study is a pdf so I can't link, it's titled "Guns, Murder, and Probability: How Can We Decide Which Figures
to Trust?"

Interesting fact, the "civilized" east had higher murder rates than the "wild" west.
There have been many examples of large scale stateless societies being successful.
Cite. No one more of these controversial one sentence claims.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 7:14:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/6/2011 7:02:43 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
Proof that this would occur? The problem with any debate on anarchism is that people are so used to the monocentric justice system, that anything different must be bad, regardless of the incredibly hollow justification for said monocentrism in the first place.

There's been police strikes in Canada where the police had to be forced back to work to restore order. A similar situation occurred in Melbourne in 1923; what do you think follows when order and laws suddenly vanish? People become scared. They don't cooperatively order into an an-cap society with established contracts and a private court, segments of the population will go around raping and mugging because there's no one to stop them.

While people are generally stupid and I agree, this is not anywhere close to AnCap. Just because the government police go on strike, doesn't mean we're in anarchy or anarcho-capitalism. Laws prohibiting the creation of private police are still in effect and the State and federal courts still hold official precedence over any private courts created which are basically made moot.

Maybe in a small scale, homogenous society anarchy has some degree of plausibility in terms of what we would commonly consider working. On a larger scale, I just can't see it - I can't really even envision solutions to the most basic problems of safety and justice.

There's been a great deal of literature on the subject. For a New Liberty by Rothbard or The Machinery of Freedom by Friedman are good choices for the more utilitarian minded.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 8:11:20 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/6/2011 7:10:47 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
Care to show.

A study by Randy Roth, confirming previous studies by historians McKenna and Del Mar summarizes his findings "An adult exposed to [Wild West murder rates:between 60-70/100,000] rate for sixteen years stood a 1 in 96 chance of being murdered, and an adult exposed to that rate for 45 years would have stood a 1 in 34 chance of being murdered."

The study is a pdf so I can't link, it's titled "Guns, Murder, and Probability: How Can We Decide Which Figures
to Trust?"

Interesting fact, the "civilized" east had higher murder rates than the "wild" west.
There have been many examples of large scale stateless societies being successful.
Cite. No one more of these controversial one sentence claims.

I hate conflicting data. Anyways my sources that show otherwise:

http://www.thefreemanonline.org...

http://mises.org...
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 8:13:54 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/6/2011 8:11:20 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 11/6/2011 7:10:47 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
Care to show.

A study by Randy Roth, confirming previous studies by historians McKenna and Del Mar summarizes his findings "An adult exposed to [Wild West murder rates:between 60-70/100,000] rate for sixteen years stood a 1 in 96 chance of being murdered, and an adult exposed to that rate for 45 years would have stood a 1 in 34 chance of being murdered."

The study is a pdf so I can't link, it's titled "Guns, Murder, and Probability: How Can We Decide Which Figures
to Trust?"

Interesting fact, the "civilized" east had higher murder rates than the "wild" west.
There have been many examples of large scale stateless societies being successful.
Cite. No one more of these controversial one sentence claims.

I hate conflicting data. Anyways my sources that show otherwise:

http://www.thefreemanonline.org...

http://mises.org...

Lol darkkermit, when someone brought up the Wild West I knew it was only a matter of time before someone posted the Wild West article from Mises.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 8:14:20 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/6/2011 5:53:30 PM, darkkermit wrote:
If you look at the "failed states index":

http://www.fundforpeace.org...

You'll notice an interest index, the "security apparatus" index. It basically measures whether "another" state is forming withing a state. For example, Somalia is listed number 1 on the list, closest thing to anarcho-capitalist.

Keep on scrolling down the list and you'll notice that nations closest to anarcho-capitalism do not perform well economically:

http://www.fundforpeace.org...

While these nations appear to perform well on economic freedoms in terms of government spending, they do poorly on other freedoms such as property rights:

http://www.heritage.org...

So the empirical data proves that a strong government is needed in order to protect the property rights of others and that government is needed to protect the economic freedom of others.

So can anarchists please explain the data that appears to confirm anarcho-capitalism failure?
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 8:17:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/6/2011 8:14:20 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 11/6/2011 5:53:30 PM, darkkermit wrote:
If you look at the "failed states index":

http://www.fundforpeace.org...

You'll notice an interest index, the "security apparatus" index. It basically measures whether "another" state is forming withing a state. For example, Somalia is listed number 1 on the list, closest thing to anarcho-capitalist.

Keep on scrolling down the list and you'll notice that nations closest to anarcho-capitalism do not perform well economically:

http://www.fundforpeace.org...

While these nations appear to perform well on economic freedoms in terms of government spending, they do poorly on other freedoms such as property rights:

http://www.heritage.org...

So the empirical data proves that a strong government is needed in order to protect the property rights of others and that government is needed to protect the economic freedom of others.

So can anarchists please explain the data that appears to confirm anarcho-capitalism failure?

I'd say the data provided is pretty much moot as far as predicting behavior in an AnCap society simply since none of these are AnCap societies. No matter how small the government gets, it's very existence impedes one from using it as an example of AnCap.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 8:27:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/6/2011 8:17:27 PM, socialpinko wrote:

I'd say the data provided is pretty much moot as far as predicting behavior in an AnCap society simply since none of these are AnCap societies. No matter how small the government gets, it's very existence impedes one from using it as an example of AnCap.

An state is defined as a monopoly on force. Right? While this might seem like its easy to categorize between a state and non-state, it real isn't. That's what cosmicalfonzo's ideology is. I'd say that a "monopoly on force" does not hold true for any nation. Let's say I kill a prostitute. I'm not going to be concerned about the government arresting me. I will however be greatly concerned about the pimp killing me. In this example, a non-government institute has a greater threat of force on me then the state actually does. There's many examples of non-government agents using force.

So its really more like a spectrum between anarchy and statism. The ones that have security apparatus, or a state within a state are on the anarchy spectrum.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...