Jump to topic:

A great case for the free market

seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 8:50:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
The case is a humble comic strip: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com...

I will annotate the strip with my understanding of it.

Calvin is a producer offering a low quality, highly priced and unsafe product. Consumers like Susie do not like this, and go looking for another producer. When the free market is truely free, bad producers like Calvin lose their job and lemonade will be high quality, safe, and lowly priced.

However, when Calvin goes to his mom, or the government, for a subsidy, they interfere with the free market. In the name of protecting jobs, they allow low quality, unsafe, and highly priced products to remain in the marketplace at a significant cost to the tax payer.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2011 8:03:33 AM
At 11/6/2011 8:50:52 PM, seraine wrote:
The case is a humble comic strip: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com...

I will annotate the strip with my understanding of it.

Calvin is a producer offering a low quality, highly priced and unsafe product. Consumers like Susie do not like this, and go looking for another producer. When the free market is truely free, bad producers like Calvin lose their job and lemonade will be high quality, safe, and lowly priced.

Nice idea but China dont care. Check your home, ill bet its 90% Chinese crap. The laptop i used to type this sure is.

However, when Calvin goes to his mom, or the government, for a subsidy, they interfere with the free market. In the name of protecting jobs, they allow low quality, unsafe, and highly priced products to remain in the marketplace at a significant cost to the tax payer.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2011 1:52:47 PM
So the lesson here is it is the consumer's fault for not agreeing to buy 15 dollar lemonade, and it is the lawyers fault they sue businesses that kill consumers with sludge water.

Great fable.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2011 2:01:52 PM
At 11/7/2011 1:52:47 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
So the lesson here is it is the consumer's fault for not agreeing to buy 15 dollar lemonade, and it is the lawyers fault they sue businesses that kill consumers with sludge water.

No.

Great fable.