If you could present a bill to congress

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2011 9:47:44 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
What would it be?

The main reason I'm doing this is because me and my partner need to do a bill for government class, and I need ideas because we're running out of time!

I've thought of one thing but my partner didn't like it.

The one I wanted to do, was a bill that would increase the number of congressman, maybe double. (Website if you want to see basic arguments).
http://www.forbes.com...

So if you could present one bill to congress what would it be?
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2011 10:04:47 PM
At 11/8/2011 9:47:44 PM, phantom wrote:
What would it be?

The main reason I'm doing this is because me and my partner need to do a bill for government class, and I need ideas because we're running out of time!

The one I wanted to do, was a bill that would increase the number of congressman, maybe double. (Website if you want to see basic arguments).

Flat tax
revocation of all prohibitions (Drugs, prostitution, arms, and so on).
Change laws regarding immigration
Laws regarding bankruptcies
Make a new policy regarding the military
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2011 10:10:02 PM
A Constitutional Amendment to legally enforce separation of church and state. A Constitutional Amendment to cap spending on election campaigns.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2011 10:25:54 PM
At 11/8/2011 10:10:02 PM, 000ike wrote:
A Constitutional Amendment to legally enforce separation of church and state. A Constitutional Amendment to cap spending on election campaigns.

Election campaign funding caps might have the unfortunate result of forever favoring incumbents in elections, which would be counter productive to the entire system. While there is certainly a legitimate issue with campaign finance, I don't think its as simple as setting a limit.
Debate.org Moderator
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2011 10:30:51 PM
I have 3

1. A flat tas of 6%, sales tax of 6%, and a corptare tax of 4%. Why? because econmists love flat taxes and it is a way to create small buissness jobs. How? because under the current system a small buissness owner gets an average of 200,000 dollars and they are taxed 50%. So them maveing 50% or 94% of their money left would they be more inclined to hire people?

2. Health care reform that is better then obamacare.

Make 1 public hosipital in each city with more then 500,000 people. So people will get healthcare without the cost and remaining mainly under private control. Also lets say my flat tax fails to pass then this one would equip a 5% tax break to people who opt for paying for insurance and use the private hospital. Also a 10% tax break for insurance companys, and mandate you cant turn someone down in some cases. Like you need to accept then even if they have minor health problems ( I was decliend recently because of asthma). So things like thyroid, asthma, severe allergies, or other minor things like that then you will need to accept them, if they have cancer they would be able to turn them down because the extra cost would be really tough on the insurance buissnes. All paid for with state taxes, no time limit, as long as these citys get the hospital.

And another one
3. debt plan

Balanced budget ammentment along with other things. Get rid of the department of energy founded by jimmy carter. that right there signals it is a dumb agency, and they do nothing. They and other agencys under them do nothing important. So eliminate all of those. No more education department. This should be handeled locally, which would make it more efficient. Slowly phase out socia security. It was made for people when the average was 65 and you have to be 65 to get it, so historically it was evil, making them pay 10% of their life income on that when they would be dead and now we do that when it is on the verge of bankrupsy. So Slowly phase it out. repeal obama care, saves us 2 trillion over 20 years righ there. Shrink the EPA. Most of what they do is bad regulation that hurts the economy. Keep it there, but simplify it. So still basic rules but nothing compicated, diminishing debt and helping economy, because I repeal those regulations.

If I had more i would have a jobs bill, but i dont feel like it. Hope one of those helps.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2011 10:44:17 PM
A bill that sets into motion the plan to blow up the moon.

It would be the most watched television event in history. Advertising alone would probably make up for the cost, and create considerable profits.

The global catastrophes that inevitably happen afterwords will be a price to pay, but well worth it if you take into account how thoroughly bitchin' the light show will be.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 11:09:14 AM
At 11/8/2011 10:44:17 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

It would be the most watched television event in history. Advertising alone would probably make up for the cost, and create considerable profits.

The global catastrophes that inevitably happen afterwords will be a price to pay, but well worth it if you take into account how thoroughly bitchin' the light show will be.

A bill that defines sexual harassment as when someone sneaks up behind another man and tickles their balls when he is having sex.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 12:10:30 PM
A Constitutional Amendment to legally enforce separation of church and state.

The first amendment?
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 12:11:28 PM
At 11/8/2011 10:25:54 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

Election campaign funding caps might have the unfortunate result of forever favoring incumbents in elections, which would be counter productive to the entire system. While there is certainly a legitimate issue with campaign finance, I don't think its as simple as setting a limit.
Open borders debate:
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 4:02:53 PM
The Republicans have passed 15 bills related to fixing the economy, all of which hav been tabled by Harry Reid in the Senate, so they won't even be debated.

A good one to start with would be a ban for three years on all new government regulations. There were 80,000 pages of new regulations in the past year, and 4000 regulation in the pipeline. The cost of reading them and complying is killing the economy.

Another is opening up energy exploration and production, including ANWR and the whole Gulf coast. There are at least a million jobs at stake, plus lots of tax revenues and greater energy independence.

The flat tax is good, but it would take a lot to get it passed. Mabe a modified flat tax as Perry has proposed could make it into law.
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 4:17:50 PM
At 11/9/2011 4:02:53 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
The Republicans have passed 15 bills related to fixing the economy, all of which hav been tabled by Harry Reid in the Senate, so they won't even be debated.

A good one to start with would be a ban for three years on all new government regulations. There were 80,000 pages of new regulations in the past year, and 4000 regulation in the pipeline. The cost of reading them and complying is killing the economy.

Another is opening up energy exploration and production, including ANWR and the whole Gulf coast. There are at least a million jobs at stake, plus lots of tax revenues and greater energy independence.

The flat tax is good, but it would take a lot to get it passed. Mabe a modified flat tax as Perry has proposed could make it into law.

I do hope you're refering to federal regulations.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
Chthonian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 5:36:10 PM
What would it be?

You can present a bill that sets limits on campaign contributions from business entities that are vying for government contracts.
seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 6:06:38 PM
At 11/8/2011 10:44:17 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

I lol'ed.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 6:13:20 PM

Ha here is a bill that would fix all of that, no incumbents allowed, no re-elections.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 6:19:58 PM
No the first ammendment doesnt separate church and state, they can pass laws because the pope wants them to if they want all the time, the 1st ammendment means you can't havee a national religeon, example: you have to be methodist under law, to the bill for the church and state is a valid one.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 6:22:24 PM

Help me understand. Why is the flat tax a good thing?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 6:27:15 PM
At 11/9/2011 6:19:58 PM, 16kadams wrote:
No the first ammendment doesnt separate church and state, they can pass laws because the pope wants them to if they want all the time, the 1st ammendment means you can't havee a national religeon, example: you have to be methodist under law, to the bill for the church and state is a valid one.

Basically means you can't have any form of theocracy like Iran
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 6:28:26 PM
At 11/9/2011 6:22:24 PM, 000ike wrote:

Because it taxes rich people that don't normally play by the rules.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 7:33:32 PM
I would make a bill where 3am would be the new midnight so that us college students can feel better about when we go to sleep every night :P
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 8:05:19 PM
At 11/9/2011 6:28:26 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

It's also the fair system.

Also, If people are paying the bills then they are less likely to accept bullsh!t government programs and the federal government will be cut in size.

It's as If you have a bunch of roommates and you want to purchase furniture as an aggregate. If your rich roommate is paying all the bills, then you are just going to purchase expensive furniture and not care about the cost. Then your rich roommate gets fed up with the bullsh!t and leaves your house, and then your left much poorer as a result.
Open borders debate:
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 8:13:16 PM
At 11/9/2011 6:28:26 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Not just that.

Under the progressive tax not all incomes are taxed, and moving up a tax bracket sometimes means a loss in income due to higher taxes. So getting a raise by your boss is not necessarily a good thing under a progressive tax.

A flat tax is less complex than a progressive tax, and it taxes all incomes.

Another proposed tax is the fair tax, which is not a tax on income, but rather a single broad federal consumption tax on retail sales.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 8:17:37 PM
I'm surprised the Flat tax hasn't passed yet as it has supporters on both sides of the isle.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 8:19:43 PM
At 11/9/2011 8:17:37 PM, DanT wrote:
I'm surprised the Flat tax hasn't passed yet as it has supporters on both sides of the isle.

lol that couldn't be further from the truth. Do you really think a single one of those occupy protesters are for flat tax? No liberal is for flat tax, and I'll bring up the warren buffet and his secretary example.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 8:30:14 PM
At 11/9/2011 8:19:43 PM, 000ike wrote:

lol that couldn't be further from the truth. Do you really think a single one of those occupy protesters are for flat tax? No liberal is for flat tax, and I'll bring up the warren buffet and his secretary example.

Some liberals are.

http://online.wsj.com...
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 9:52:29 PM

Lol! it's because of what I posted of course.

You don't really believe the poor huddled masses dictate monetary policy such as taxation do you?
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 9:58:23 PM
At 11/9/2011 8:19:43 PM, 000ike wrote:

Buffet, onother one of those that would rather take his ball and go home rather than 'pay his fair share'... why suprised at his resistance to flat taxes without loopholes?
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2011 8:20:49 PM
What would it be?

1. Personhood Amendment

2. Tax exempt status for the first $50,000 an individual earns as a teacher, police officer, fire fighter, custodian, garbage collector, or any one of several other jobs that "Americans don't want to do."

3. Nationwide Concealed Carry - If you have a concealed carry permit, other States can not punish you for carrying it across State lines for law abiding activities.

4. Term Limits

5. Commit the entire Mexican Border to become a Military Installation... If illegals want to cross ILLEGALLY? Let the cross into a heavily patrolled Military installation or impact zone.
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life