Jump to topic:

Coliseum - Should we bring it back?

Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 2:18:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Carrying on from another topic. Should we have coliseums?

I think yes, because if the public want it (and they do), then it should be allowed, as long as everyone consents.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 2:22:33 PM
At 11/9/2011 2:18:32 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:

I think yes, because if the public want it (and they do), then it should be allowed, as long as everyone consents.

I've actually been thinking about this. I think Italy should totally renovate THE Colliseum and use it for sporting and other events. Think about how that would boost tourism, getting to watch a soccer game in THE Colliseum.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 2:26:35 PM
hmm... I should have made myself clearer:

Should we have fights to the death in the same fashion as the old Coliseums, with modern improvements?
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 2:28:05 PM
At 11/9/2011 2:26:35 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:

Should we have fights to the death in the same fashion as the old Coliseums, with modern improvements?

Oh....
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 2:28:51 PM
At 11/9/2011 2:28:05 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 11/9/2011 2:26:35 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:

Oh....

yeah... bit different. I still think it'd be a great laugh.

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 2:44:43 PM
Absolutely. Though, I think military men should only be allowed if it's fight-to-the-death. Combat sport fighters aren't necessarily prepared nor want to fight to the death.

Though it would be cool to have Coliseum fights between different types of warriors just like the show Deadliest Warrior.

Put modern day Knights vs. modern day Samarais, or modern day Ninjas vs Israeli Krav Maga commandos.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 2:50:42 PM
At 11/9/2011 2:44:43 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Absolutely. Though, I think military men should only be allowed if it's fight-to-the-death. Combat sport fighters aren't necessarily prepared nor want to fight to the death.

Though it would be cool to have Coliseum fights between different types of warriors just like the show Deadliest Warrior.

Put modern day Knights vs. modern day Samarais, or modern day Ninjas vs Israeli Krav Maga commandos.

Except not the result of a sh!tty programmers version of match-fight-techniques-and-see-who-wins.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 2:51:13 PM
At 11/9/2011 2:44:43 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Actually in more civilized times thousands of years ago... armies would let a champion or a band of the select few decide the outcome of a battle rather than wreck an entire army in a pitched battle.
That could be awesome if say, you could get 100 palastinians and 100 Israelis to finally settle the score in a cagematch to the death.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 2:54:11 PM
Otherwise, you can get nations that are at war but would not consent to concessions from cagematch outcomes, and recruit soldiers to participate on an individual basis that would give their families one million dollars if they died, 250K if they live. Great profitable entertainment and a good outcome for families who have soldiers in the field that otherwise would never get compensated.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 2:55:09 PM
At 11/9/2011 2:54:11 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Otherwise, you can get nations that are at war but would not consent to concessions from cagematch outcomes, and recruit soldiers to participate on an individual basis that would give their families one million dollars if they died, 250K if they live. Great profitable entertainment and a good outcome for families who have soldiers in the field that otherwise would never get compensated.

Now if someone could just convince Al Qaeda to send in a few ringers...
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 2:55:46 PM
If people are willing, sure.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 3:48:10 PM
Hunger Games much?
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 5:39:03 PM
No.

We stopped doing it in the first place due to societal value of life.

That isn't going to change, nor should it.

Roman society had slaves as well, and for similar reasons.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 6:55:04 PM
Fvck yes, and I really do not see why we wouldn't if these people are consenting.

To the death isn't completely necessary. If you just chopped this dude's d!ck off, and he is completely incapacitated, I'd say that counts as a fair win.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 7:25:13 PM
At 11/9/2011 2:18:32 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:

Like MMA?
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 7:27:32 PM
At 11/9/2011 2:55:09 PM, Wnope wrote:
At 11/9/2011 2:54:11 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Now if someone could just convince Al Qaeda to send in a few ringers...

F*** No! It would be a tie every time.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle