Total Posts:19|Showing Posts:1-19
Jump to topic:

Which goverment agency would you eliminate?

16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 6:23:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I choose the department of energy. The EPA would be good also, but I chose energy. They do nothing, and still take goverment money. So less debt, and less agencys. And the agency that you choose would eliminate all the sub agencys of that agency too.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 6:32:40 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
IRS,....just kidding, taxes are necessary
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 6:34:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Lol NPR is a good one, and the IRS is good. If you institute a sales tax then your thing would work
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,292
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 6:35:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/9/2011 6:32:40 PM, 000ike wrote:
IRS,....just kidding, taxes are necessary

Yah don't eliminate... but definitely needs work...
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 6:53:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
O.K, I choose more now, EPA, Energy, Education, and possibly reduce the IRS' power.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 6:54:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/9/2011 6:43:09 PM, Chthonian wrote:
Department of Homeland Security

WHAT?!?!
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 6:58:42 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Here's just a handful of useless agencies from a cursory glance that would get the chopping block if I had any say... and MANY others to follow.

1. Admin on Aging
2. Admin Conference of the U.S.
3. African Development Foundation
4. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
5. Agency for International Development
6. Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (absorbed by the Center for Disease Control)
7. Agricultural Marketing Service
8. Agricultural Research Service
9. Agriculture Department
10. Air and Radiation Hotline
11. Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau
12. Antitrust Division
13. Appalachian Regional Commission
14. Architectural and Transportation Barriers Compliance Board
15. Arms Control and International Security
16. Arthritis and Musculoskeletal Interagency Coordinating Committee
17. Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship and Excellence in Education Foundation (Goldwater is probably rolling in his grave)
18. Bonneville Power Administration
19. Botanic Garden
20. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)
21. Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board
22. Commission on Fine Arts
23. Commission on International Religious Freedom
24. Commission on Security and Cooperation in Europe
25. Committee for the Implementation of Textile Agreements
26. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
27. Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA)
28. Marine Mammal Commission
29. Federal Communications Commission (FCC)
30. Federal Consulting Group
31. Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation (Freddie Mac)
32. Postal Service (USPS)

I don't feel like adding up their respective appropriations, but does anyone feel up to tallying up the revenue saved by eliminating these utterly useless and wasteful programs?
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 7:02:06 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/9/2011 6:23:46 PM, 16kadams wrote:
I choose the department of energy. The EPA would be good also, but I chose energy. They do nothing, and still take goverment money. So less debt, and less agencys. And the agency that you choose would eliminate all the sub agencys of that agency too.

about half of them. Too many to list. I might do it later.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
Chthonian
Posts: 247
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 7:08:17 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/9/2011 6:54:18 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 11/9/2011 6:43:09 PM, Chthonian wrote:
Department of Homeland Security

WHAT?!?!

DHS is the third largest Cabinet department and serves a redundant function that the FBI, CIA and NSA provide. We don't need it, IMHO.
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 7:11:09 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/9/2011 6:32:40 PM, 000ike wrote:
IRS,....just kidding, taxes are necessary

The IRS was formed in 1862. There were taxes prior to 1862 last I checked.

The name of the IRS (Internal Revenue Service) comes from 1918

In 1862 the office of Commissioner of Internal Revenue was established in order to collect income taxes (at the time unconstitutional) in order to pay for the war.

In 1862 the tax rate was 3% on income over $800 (at the time rich).
Later that year it increased to a 3% tax rate on incomes between $600 and $10,000, and 5% on income over $10,000

The income taxes continued to increase and was eventually deemed unconstitutional.

In 1913 income tax was made constitutional by the 16th amendment. And in 1918 the IRS was formed.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2011 3:55:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I would cut back in probably all of them, at least greatly re-organize them. But if I had to cut one out completely, it would likely be Homeland Security, as others have mentioned.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2011 4:11:55 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/10/2011 3:55:59 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
I would cut back in probably all of them, at least greatly re-organize them. But if I had to cut one out completely, it would likely be Homeland Security, as others have mentioned.

Certainly not the Marine Mammal Commission, have you lost your mind?
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2011 4:13:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/10/2011 4:11:55 PM, innomen wrote:
At 11/10/2011 3:55:59 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
I would cut back in probably all of them, at least greatly re-organize them. But if I had to cut one out completely, it would likely be Homeland Security, as others have mentioned.

Certainly not the Marine Mammal Commission, have you lost your mind?

Call me a bigot if you wish, but I don't think that reptiles should be allowed to serve as US Marines, at the very least, it should be some kind of DADT with them.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2011 4:57:40 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/10/2011 4:13:41 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 11/10/2011 4:11:55 PM, innomen wrote:
At 11/10/2011 3:55:59 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
I would cut back in probably all of them, at least greatly re-organize them. But if I had to cut one out completely, it would likely be Homeland Security, as others have mentioned.

Certainly not the Marine Mammal Commission, have you lost your mind?

Call me a bigot if you wish, but I don't think that reptiles should be allowed to serve as US Marines, at the very least, it should be some kind of DADT with them.

Every seal, walrus, and whale will now be at your door for calling them reptiles.
You're a speciesist, and a mammalophobe.