Total Posts:19|Showing Posts:1-19
Jump to topic:

Changing Idealogues

DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2011 8:03:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Okay:

2 years ago I considered myself a conservative, which then changed into liberalism. This then made a sharp turn about 6 months ago into a statist libertarian, where I remained until I joined DDO--now, I've been drifting more and more toward anarcho-libertarianism. But, right now, I'm caught in the namby-pamby libertarian purgatory betwixt statism and anarchy.

So how was your day?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2011 8:06:20 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/19/2011 8:03:24 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Okay:

2 years ago I considered myself a conservative, which then changed into liberalism. This then made a sharp turn about 6 months ago into a statist libertarian, where I remained until I joined DDO--now, I've been drifting more and more toward anarcho-libertarianism. But, right now, I'm caught in the namby-pamby libertarian purgatory betwixt statism and anarchy.

So how was your day?

http://www.isil.org...
Perhaps this can resolve your weird belief in statism.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
ApostateAbe
Posts: 236
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2011 8:35:28 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/19/2011 8:03:24 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Okay:

2 years ago I considered myself a conservative, which then changed into liberalism. This then made a sharp turn about 6 months ago into a statist libertarian, where I remained until I joined DDO--now, I've been drifting more and more toward anarcho-libertarianism. But, right now, I'm caught in the namby-pamby libertarian purgatory betwixt statism and anarchy.

So how was your day?

You seem to be progressing evermore toward the most reasonable position. How about being independant from ideology, choosing the most reasonable beliefs as each specific topic requires?

That reminds me of why I have "Libertarian" identified as my "Political Ideology" in my profile. None of the other options fit. I am not "Other," since I don't have an ideology, not even an "Other." I am not trying to keep it a secret, so it isn't "Not Saying." And I have decided on it, so it isn't "Undecided." If there was an option for "None," then I would select that, but there is no such option, so I chose the option that most closely matches my beliefs, with is "Libertarian." Someone has already called me out on the inconsistency of some of my positions with the libertarian ideology, and that ticks me off.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2011 8:44:45 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/19/2011 8:35:28 PM, ApostateAbe wrote:
At 11/19/2011 8:03:24 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Okay:

2 years ago I considered myself a conservative, which then changed into liberalism. This then made a sharp turn about 6 months ago into a statist libertarian, where I remained until I joined DDO--now, I've been drifting more and more toward anarcho-libertarianism. But, right now, I'm caught in the namby-pamby libertarian purgatory betwixt statism and anarchy.

So how was your day?

You seem to be progressing evermore toward the most reasonable position. How about being independant from ideology, choosing the most reasonable beliefs as each specific topic requires?

That reminds me of why I have "Libertarian" identified as my "Political Ideology" in my profile. None of the other options fit. I am not "Other," since I don't have an ideology, not even an "Other." I am not trying to keep it a secret, so it isn't "Not Saying." And I have decided on it, so it isn't "Undecided." If there was an option for "None," then I would select that, but there is no such option, so I chose the option that most closely matches my beliefs, with is "Libertarian." Someone has already called me out on the inconsistency of some of my positions with the libertarian ideology, and that ticks me off.

This. I have "libertarian" beliefs, however I' not necessarily a pure libertarian. I'm in favor of the EPA, FDA (although I believe they go to far on some issues), antitrust legislation, safety nets and FED. However, I'm constantly arguing for pro-libertarian beliefs such as legalization of drugs, prostitution, deregulation, and reduction in government spending. I'm for free markets.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2011 8:55:38 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/19/2011 8:44:45 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 11/19/2011 8:35:28 PM, ApostateAbe wrote:
At 11/19/2011 8:03:24 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Okay:

2 years ago I considered myself a conservative, which then changed into liberalism. This then made a sharp turn about 6 months ago into a statist libertarian, where I remained until I joined DDO--now, I've been drifting more and more toward anarcho-libertarianism. But, right now, I'm caught in the namby-pamby libertarian purgatory betwixt statism and anarchy.

So how was your day?

You seem to be progressing evermore toward the most reasonable position. How about being independant from ideology, choosing the most reasonable beliefs as each specific topic requires?

That reminds me of why I have "Libertarian" identified as my "Political Ideology" in my profile. None of the other options fit. I am not "Other," since I don't have an ideology, not even an "Other." I am not trying to keep it a secret, so it isn't "Not Saying." And I have decided on it, so it isn't "Undecided." If there was an option for "None," then I would select that, but there is no such option, so I chose the option that most closely matches my beliefs, with is "Libertarian." Someone has already called me out on the inconsistency of some of my positions with the libertarian ideology, and that ticks me off.

This. I have "libertarian" beliefs, however I' not necessarily a pure libertarian. I'm in favor of the EPA, FDA (although I believe they go to far on some issues), antitrust legislation, safety nets and FED. However, I'm constantly arguing for pro-libertarian beliefs such as legalization of drugs, prostitution, deregulation, and reduction in government spending.
So you're Hayek.

I'm for free markets.
And just like Hayek you make misleading claims :P
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2011 9:13:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I don't know how much I could say my 'ideology' has changed since I'm young and never thought about issues of political philosophy and economics very deeply until recently. But if one counts my earlier positions, I moved from Democrat to full on socialist to Green to Ancom to AnCap. I've pretty much counted myself as everything but conservative.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2011 9:35:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/19/2011 8:55:38 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 11/19/2011 8:44:45 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 11/19/2011 8:35:28 PM, ApostateAbe wrote:
At 11/19/2011 8:03:24 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Okay:

2 years ago I considered myself a conservative, which then changed into liberalism. This then made a sharp turn about 6 months ago into a statist libertarian, where I remained until I joined DDO--now, I've been drifting more and more toward anarcho-libertarianism. But, right now, I'm caught in the namby-pamby libertarian purgatory betwixt statism and anarchy.

So how was your day?

You seem to be progressing evermore toward the most reasonable position. How about being independant from ideology, choosing the most reasonable beliefs as each specific topic requires?

That reminds me of why I have "Libertarian" identified as my "Political Ideology" in my profile. None of the other options fit. I am not "Other," since I don't have an ideology, not even an "Other." I am not trying to keep it a secret, so it isn't "Not Saying." And I have decided on it, so it isn't "Undecided." If there was an option for "None," then I would select that, but there is no such option, so I chose the option that most closely matches my beliefs, with is "Libertarian." Someone has already called me out on the inconsistency of some of my positions with the libertarian ideology, and that ticks me off.

This. I have "libertarian" beliefs, however I' not necessarily a pure libertarian. I'm in favor of the EPA, FDA (although I believe they go to far on some issues), antitrust legislation, safety nets and FED. However, I'm constantly arguing for pro-libertarian beliefs such as legalization of drugs, prostitution, deregulation, and reduction in government spending.
So you're Hayek.

I'd say more Milton Friedman then Hayek. Maybe a little bit of both.

I'm for free markets.
And just like Hayek you make misleading claims :P

What misleading claims?
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2011 9:51:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/19/2011 8:03:24 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Okay:

2 years ago I considered myself a conservative, which then changed into liberalism. This then made a sharp turn about 6 months ago into a statist libertarian,

What the hell is a statist-libertarian??? I don't believe such an animal exists.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2011 9:55:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/19/2011 9:51:19 PM, DanT wrote:
At 11/19/2011 8:03:24 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Okay:

2 years ago I considered myself a conservative, which then changed into liberalism. This then made a sharp turn about 6 months ago into a statist libertarian,

What the hell is a statist-libertarian??? I don't believe such an animal exists.

I believe the term is minarchist. No matter how "limited" the government is, it's still statist.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2011 9:32:57 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/19/2011 9:55:58 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 11/19/2011 9:51:19 PM, DanT wrote:
At 11/19/2011 8:03:24 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Okay:

2 years ago I considered myself a conservative, which then changed into liberalism. This then made a sharp turn about 6 months ago into a statist libertarian,

What the hell is a statist-libertarian??? I don't believe such an animal exists.

I believe the term is minarchist. No matter how "limited" the government is, it's still statist.

This.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2011 9:22:17 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/19/2011 9:13:32 PM, socialpinko wrote:
I don't know how much I could say my 'ideology' has changed since I'm young and never thought about issues of political philosophy and economics very deeply until recently. But if one counts my earlier positions, I moved from Democrat to full on socialist to Green to Ancom to AnCap. I've pretty much counted myself as everything but conservative.

I'm going through a similar phase.
I started thinking politics like 4 years ago.
I went from republican (because my dad claimed very misleading things) to democrat (my mom also claimed misleading things), then I briefly thought about anarchy but dismissed it, moved to near socialism, full socialism, free market socialism (very recent) and I think I'm drifting more into a more conservative anarchy thing. Possibly free market/an-cap.
Not there -yet- but I see key signs.

Even when I thought I was republican I never thought I was conservative, he basically told me Bush was democrat, so I wanted to be the opposite.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2011 11:59:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Pick-a-boo

Yeah, since I've been gone I've become much more statist.

I would say you shouldn't even worry about it. Never be afraid to change your perspective. You might be concerned that you choose the wrong one. But they are all the wrong one.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2011 12:22:27 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/20/2011 11:59:41 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Pick-a-boo

Yeah, since I've been gone I've become much more statist.

I would say you shouldn't even worry about it. Never be afraid to change your perspective. You might be concerned that you choose the wrong one. Butthey are all the wrong one.

Your less optimistic...
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2011 12:30:07 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/20/2011 9:22:17 PM, lovelife wrote:
At 11/19/2011 9:13:32 PM, socialpinko wrote:
I don't know how much I could say my 'ideology' has changed since I'm young and never thought about issues of political philosophy and economics very deeply until recently. But if one counts my earlier positions, I moved from Democrat to full on socialist to Green to Ancom to AnCap. I've pretty much counted myself as everything but conservative.

I'm going through a similar phase.
I started thinking politics like 4 years ago.
I went from republican (because my dad claimed very misleading things) to democrat (my mom also claimed misleading things), then I briefly thought about anarchy but dismissed it, moved to near socialism, full socialism, free market socialism (very recent) and I think I'm drifting more into a more conservative anarchy thing. Possibly free market/an-cap.
Not there -yet- but I see key signs.

Ah....the whole be different from your parents political ideology :p.

So, are you against government welfare now If your an-cap?
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2011 3:47:27 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I can say I have changed. The longer I live the more conservative I get.

Though I have to admit that before a gave a damn I didn't give a damn. Not until stuff like this actually mattered did I give it much thought. When it got real I began to become more and more conservative.

More socially then politically though. I still think the majority of politicians are crooks so no much has changed in that area. I do want to be able to ignore federal laws abduction stick to State and local laws though. Federal are just to far away and big to be dealing with citizens lives.

When I was young I saw nothing wrong with drugs and liberal sex. But no that they both hurt me my views have changed. If I was as conservative now back then my life would be much different then now. I also wouldn't have hurt as many people along the way.

Now I just want to go back to the way it was when I was a kid. The more we "progress" the further we lose our humanity, in my opinion. Oh well, it's not like it should be a surprise or anything.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2011 11:14:21 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I've actually always been a social moderate. The issue that I went back and forth on, primarily through my teenage years, is social justice and economics. I transitioned from socialist to conservative, and settled upon moderate which I have been for around 2-3 years now. It's perfectly acceptable to experiment with different ideologies and explore different mindsets as each ideology stresses different values and responsibilities. As you mature you'll hopefully refine your beliefs and decide for yourself what you value and which belief set best encapsulates those.
Zetsubou
Posts: 4,933
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2011 12:07:35 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
UK Labour Party
Basic Marxism
Syndicalist-Corpratism
Nothing
Moderate Flangist
Classical Liberal/Conservative
New Right and the Conservative Way Forward


It's them dirty old books in my uncle's study I tell you. They messed up my early teenage years. My adolescence was a slow move right with a few exceptions really.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2011 12:22:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/20/2011 11:59:41 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Pick-a-boo

Yeah, since I've been gone I've become much more statist.

I would say you shouldn't even worry about it. Never be afraid to change your perspective. You might be concerned that you choose the wrong one. But they are all the wrong one.

Growing up...

...welcome back, Freedo! ^_^
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2011 12:44:16 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/21/2011 12:30:07 AM, darkkermit wrote:
At 11/20/2011 9:22:17 PM, lovelife wrote:
At 11/19/2011 9:13:32 PM, socialpinko wrote:
I don't know how much I could say my 'ideology' has changed since I'm young and never thought about issues of political philosophy and economics very deeply until recently. But if one counts my earlier positions, I moved from Democrat to full on socialist to Green to Ancom to AnCap. I've pretty much counted myself as everything but conservative.

I'm going through a similar phase.
I started thinking politics like 4 years ago.
I went from republican (because my dad claimed very misleading things) to democrat (my mom also claimed misleading things), then I briefly thought about anarchy but dismissed it, moved to near socialism, full socialism, free market socialism (very recent) and I think I'm drifting more into a more conservative anarchy thing. Possibly free market/an-cap.
Not there -yet- but I see key signs.

Ah....the whole be different from your parents political ideology :p.

More like against conservatives, particularly Bush. SO it's much more like "fck you your a dumb president."

So, are you against government welfare now If your an-cap?

I'm not there yet, I just see the warning signs.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave