Jump to topic:

The crux of Jimtimmy's argument

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 6:49:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
He says that Europeans and Asians have evolved to have greater intelligence, and Africans lesser intelligence. Well, the theory of natural selection demands that something have made lesser intelligence a virtue in the African environment,....or something have accelerated the necessity for higher intelligence in the European and Asian environments. When asked WHAT in the African environment discouraged high intellect, or WHAT in the European and Asian environments caused a greater demand for intelligence, this was his answer:

"It was the colder and harsher environment in Europe that led Europeans to get smarter faster than Africans"

I need some opinions on how on Earth this can be possible.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 7:04:44 PM
At 11/27/2011 6:49:47 PM, 000ike wrote:
He says that Europeans and Asians have evolved to have greater intelligence, and Africans lesser intelligence. Well, the theory of natural selection demands that something have made lesser intelligence a virtue in the African environment,....or something have accelerated the necessity for higher intelligence in the European and Asian environments. When asked WHAT in the African environment discouraged high intellect, or WHAT in the European and Asian environments caused a greater demand for intelligence, this was his answer:

"It was the colder and harsher environment in Europe that led Europeans to get smarter faster than Africans"

The point is:

1.) Racial differences exist... and they are genetic in basis

2.) Evolution is the cause of these differences

The fact that we don't know how this happened doesnt mean it didnt happen... and there are some good theories:

http://en.wikipedia.org...
President of DDO
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 7:08:04 PM
At 11/27/2011 6:49:47 PM, 000ike wrote:

1. Harsher environment= greater reactionary skills
2. Colder environment= the development of new technologies that help keep them warm
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 7:53:49 PM
At 11/27/2011 7:08:04 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
1. Harsher environment= greater reactionary skills
2. Colder environment= the development of new technologies that help keep them warm

Really?

Anyway...

What about Europe is more "harsh" than Africa?

Relatively speaking, Europe isn't cold; it's temperate. It's much easier to adapt to coastal towns and cities with gratuitous vegetation and water than say, a gigantic desert, for example.

In any case, the point of the question was to highlight why we would have evolved intellectually if we were met with physical challenges. Why wouldn't we evolve physically?
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 8:36:02 PM
At 11/27/2011 8:29:41 PM, Wnope wrote:
Why aren't the eskimos smarter than white people?

There are actually a lot of theories about WHY intelligence differences arose... That is just one of them... It has holes... but it seems like a plausible one

We know the following things:

1.) IQ Differences Exist between Races

2.) These Differences are at least partially genetic

3.) These Genetic Differences arose through natural selection over the past 90,000 years

What we don't know is exactly how the arose.... But, regardless of how it happened, it does not affect my argument
President of DDO
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 8:53:39 PM
At 11/27/2011 8:36:02 PM, jimtimmy wrote:

There are actually a lot of theories about WHY intelligence differences arose... That is just one of them... It has holes... but it seems like a plausible one

3.) These Genetic Differences arose through natural selection over the past 90,000 years

What we don't know is exactly how the arose.... But, regardless of how it happened, it does not affect my argument

Actually, "how it happened" is really, really important.

If you believe a geographical change like africa to europe is enough to cause huge changes in evolution of intelligence, the hypothesis should bear out in other cases.

Should we expect populations that evolved further from the equator to be smarter? Or is it that the populations had to have a generally warmer climate?

If you care about race as an issue, these questions should matter to you.
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 9:03:53 PM
At 11/27/2011 8:53:39 PM, Wnope wrote:

If you believe a geographical change like africa to europe is enough to cause huge changes in evolution of intelligence, the hypothesis should bear out in other cases.

Should we expect populations that evolved further from the equator to be smarter? Or is it that the populations had to have a generally warmer climate?

No, this is about explaining a reality... I own a laptop.... There can be different theories about how I came to own the laptop, but we know that I own a laptop... That is all that matters about this

I don't know how whites came to be smarter than blacks... We just know that they did... and that is all that is relevant to the political parts of this
President of DDO
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 9:13:25 PM
At 11/27/2011 9:03:53 PM, jimtimmy wrote:

No, this is about explaining a reality... I own a laptop.... There can be different theories about how I came to own the laptop, but we know that I own a laptop... That is all that matters about this

I don't know how whites came to be smarter than blacks... We just know that they did... and that is all that is relevant to the political parts of this

how are these IQ scores you keep blabbing on about relevant to the political parts of ammm this? i've asked you before... how is this difference in IQ applied to the real world besides in silly little tests that don't mean anything at all? what can you do that makes you more useful to society?
signature
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 9:21:11 PM
At 11/27/2011 9:13:25 PM, badger wrote:

how are these IQ scores you keep blabbing on about relevant to the political parts of ammm this? i've asked you before... how is this difference in IQ applied to the real world besides in silly little tests that don't mean anything at all? what can you do that makes you more useful to society?

IQ correlates to income... as do many other genetically based traits...

This shows that genetics, not discrimination, racism, or bad schools, is more responsible for racial inequality... and that terrible policies like Affirmative action and Head Start really are terrible
President of DDO
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 9:22:23 PM

That question has plagued me for years. Damn you for making me relive this hell.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 9:28:54 PM

Instead of being so cold that you have to plant wheat instead of picking bananas, it's so cold that agriculture simply doesn't work.
</devilsadvocate>
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 9:29:44 PM
At 11/27/2011 9:21:11 PM, jimtimmy wrote:

This shows that genetics, not discrimination, racism, or bad schools, is more responsible for racial inequality... and that terrible policies like Affirmative action and Head Start really are terrible

ridiculous. what can you do that a black person can't? why can't you answer that? it's what your whole argument should be based on, that you being white are more useful than someone black, yet you can't answer it... you jump to white people making more money in a predominately white culture and are just saying they do because they're smarter and that's that... smarter how?! more capable of making money how?! and then what about that (you not being able to show how white people are more useful to society) shows that discrimination isn't what's holding black people back?
signature
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 9:31:23 PM
At 11/27/2011 9:29:44 PM, badger wrote:

ridiculous. what can you do that a black person can't? why can't you answer that? it's what your whole argument should be based on, that you being white are more useful than someone black, yet you can't answer it... you jump to white people making more money in a predominately white culture and are just saying they do because they're smarter and that's that... smarter how?! more capable of making money how?! and then what about that (you not being able to show how white people are more useful to society) shows that discrimination isn't what's holding black people back?

Ya, you aren't even close to understanding what I am arguing...
President of DDO
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 9:32:32 PM
At 11/27/2011 9:22:23 PM, Maikuru wrote:

That question has plagued me for years. Damn you for making me relive this hell.

that's because you're looking at it from the wrong angle! they acually are smarter than white people! geniuses those eskimos are! how ingenious is it to make warmth of ice?!
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 9:34:05 PM
At 11/27/2011 9:31:23 PM, jimtimmy wrote:

you're an intellectually dishonest small cock'd retarded twat. go jump off a cliff and do society a favour will you.
signature
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 9:36:37 PM
At 11/27/2011 9:34:05 PM, badger wrote:

you're an intellectually dishonest small cock'd retarded twat. go jump off a cliff and do society a favour will you.

How would you feel about yourself if I actually did jump off a cliff tonight?

Would it bother you that you were partially responsible for my suicide?

Even though you dont like me, you would probably feel some guilt.... It would probably be the worst thing I could do to you

Hmmm
President of DDO
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 9:40:28 PM
At 11/27/2011 9:28:54 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Instead of being so cold that you have to plant wheat instead of picking bananas, it's so cold that agriculture simply doesn't work.
</devilsadvocate>

But then, is it cold weather that drives evolution of intelligence or need to develop agriculture that leads to intelligence?

Wouldn't differential ability to farm lead to natural inequalities in resource gathering independent of intelligence? That would also mean decreased potential for innovation?

Also, would this mean that, had white people kept migrating and landed in iceland or such, today their intelligence level would lower because they evolved in a climate too cold for agriculture?
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 9:44:45 PM
At 11/27/2011 9:36:37 PM, jimtimmy wrote:
At 11/27/2011 9:34:05 PM, badger wrote:

How would you feel about yourself if I actually did jump off a cliff tonight?

Would it bother you that you were partially responsible for my suicide?

Even though you dont like me, you would probably feel some guilt.... It would probably be the worst thing I could do to you

Hmmm

when people seek to make the lives of others miserable i lose care for their lives. you're a nazi. hitler did the world a favour in blowing off his head and i'd have been proud to have spurred that along...
signature
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 9:44:46 PM
Wait... white people are smarter than black people?
*facepalm*
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight...
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 9:48:00 PM
At 11/27/2011 9:40:28 PM, Wnope wrote:

</devilsadvocate>

But then, is it cold weather that drives evolution of intelligence or need to develop agriculture that leads to intelligence?

Wouldn't differential ability to farm lead to natural inequalities in resource gathering independent of intelligence? That would also mean decreased potential for innovation?

Also, would this mean that, had white people kept migrating and landed in iceland or such, today their intelligence level would lower because they evolved in a climate too cold for agriculture?

It could mean that... What matters (for me) is how it ended up...
President of DDO
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 9:53:33 PM
Dude, I just want to say....

Eskimos are fvcking geniuses.

Now yeah, you could argue that they were retarded to choose the climate that they ended up living in, but well... The rule of bad @ss puts the Eskimos somewhere just above the Vikings in that regard. Which is no small feat.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 9:59:54 PM

</devilsadvocate>

they grow weed and brew alcohol somehow ingeniously, but just don't tell people about it being ingenious, i'd bet. otherwise i'm fairly positive there'd be no eskimos...
signature
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 12:09:07 AM

</devilsadvocate>

Intelligence is complex, why the bloody hell wouldn't the factors leading to its evolution be?
Why does the optimum temperature for intelligence development have to be at the ends of the curve instead of an equilibrium between?

Farming itself was innovation. There's less incentive to do so when hunter-gathering is plentiful enough (tropics), and less possibility of doing so if crops will not grow.

Well, clearly those among the Vikings who had the most influence on the course of history were the ones who stayed in Europe, not the ones that when to Iceland or Newfoundland. :)

Now, on the other hand, it doesn't take THAT much brain to be a farmer. And I have no comment on the evidence regarding actual racial differences in intelligence. I have no idea where supporters of that hypothesis even think Eskimos are.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
JustCallMeTarzan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 12:30:37 AM
Not that I am supporting JT's argument...

But a lot of this would seem to have to do with agrarian vs. nomadic lifestyles. I'm kind of armchair phylosophizing here, but I would imagine that an agrarian society would have the capacity for, as well as the need for, a higher tech base than a nomadic society would.

These agrarian societies were probably more stable, and hence, bigger. Thus, they were confronted with more novel problems that required solutions. So within those types of societies, natural selection began to select for those individuals with the capacity for more abstract problem-solving skills, as opposed to real-world problem solving skills.

In other words, (and I'm HUGELY generalizing here), asians, who have extraordinarily long and stable societies; and whites, who have long-ish and stable societies have a greater need for the capacity to solve abstract problems. Blacks, by comparison have a greater need for the capacity to gauge wind direction and speed when they throw a spear.

This would at least at first glance explain why whites score higher on abstract IQ tests, but blacks seem to be superior at the subconscious math involved in sports.

It's not that one race has superior mental capabilities, it's that we aren't testing them (mental faculties) properly.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 1:25:08 AM
At 11/27/2011 9:48:00 PM, jimtimmy wrote:

</devilsadvocate>

It could mean that... What matters (for me) is how it ended up...

So you care that there are racial differences, you just don't care why they exist?

I'd think someone who is interested in race, intelligence, and genetics for purely academic reasons would be foaming at the mouth to figure this out.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 7:57:48 AM
There are a few things that really enrage me here. I will list them.

1. We have repeatedly attacked two members in specific -- Izbo10 and Inferno -- and even attempted to get them to leave by majority vote of members most active on the site (Electoral College, anyone?). When that ostensibly failed, someone still went through the trouble of scripting a plugin that specifically targets and "autoignores" Izbo10's posts. I'll admit that some things he said were inflammatory, and Inferno, even more so. But, this sh*t from Jimtimmy is just ridiculous. He's relentlessly propagating hate, yet no one has made any moves in that direction.

2. Why are we still entertaining such asinine concepts? I tired to avoid simply writing off the subject matter; I tried to ignore that this ignorant 17 year old little boy is practically looking in the face of educated adults and telling them that he's clearly more intelligent than they because they don't share his infantile beliefs. I gave him the logical inconsistencies -- how this proposition doesn't even coincide with IQ studies and normative IQ regressions. It was the first argument I gave him, and although it killed the thread, he simply made another one. Both Wnope and I gave him the failing science behind it, and he simply dismissed it with single-line statements that were tantamount to, "so what, you're still wrong."

3. Why aren't we even reviewing the reality of what he's stating? I mean, how do they even determine the IQ of the entire African American community? They (supposedly) comprise 15 percent of over 4 million people. That's 40,000 people at least. Are you telling me this is based from 40,000 IQ tests? Even 20,000? Even 10,000? No. It's based from supposition. The majority of every single person I have ever met, whether white, blue, brown, orange, purple, teal, or green, has never taken an IQ test. The majority of the smartest people in the world are not white and half aren't even male. Something like half did not complete their formal education, and simply learned how to do sh*t themselves. By Jimtimmy's standards, they are among the least intelligent.

4. The fact that this little boy continues to garner so much attention and stir up so much controversy without the same derision and dismissiveness that Inferno and Izbo10 have entertained indicates to me that this stupid f*cking website is full of racists.

I really hope to be proven wrong.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 8:07:08 AM
I can't speak for anyone else here, but I am definitely not racist.

I am not for banning Jimbo. I'm not for banning anyone. However, I will also say that I don't take the guy seriously at all. I think he's just fvcking with everyone.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 8:10:13 AM
At 11/28/2011 8:07:08 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
I can't speak for anyone else here, but I am definitely not racist.

I am not for banning Jimbo. I'm not for banning anyone. However, I will also say that I don't take the guy seriously at all. I think he's just fvcking with everyone.

I'm not for banning anyone, either.

But, I don't think he's f*cking with anyone at all. I am very familiar with his ideology. It is very real, and it's a very real force in politics, as well.

Jared Taylor is an excellent example.

I can practically predict every thread he will make from here on. Perhaps not the sequence, but definitely the subject matter, and even the content.

This isn't funny, and I'm very insulted. If we intend to ban anyone at all, it should be him.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 8:16:29 AM
BTW --

Jimtimmy. If you're willing to actually discuss BIOLOGY, NEUROLOGY, SOCIOECONOMICS, MACROECONOMICS, CHEMISTRY, ANTHROPOLOGY, PSYCHOLOGY, SOCIOLOGY, and HISTORICAL GEOLOGY, with the COMPLETE EXCLUSION OF STATISTICS, from here on without fail regarding any subject about "race," then I will completely detract my position.

It will take a lot of reading on your part, perhaps even some instruction, and I imagine you won't be here for a while, anyway. Not that it's my intention. You're welcome to discuss other things that you know more about.