Jump to topic:

Anarchism Questions

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 7:35:04 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'm not an expert, as I'm not an anarchist--but, correct me if I'm wrong, there IS such a thing as right/wrong in an anarchistic society: namely, violating a contract and murder are wrong. As far as enforcement and protection, the only thing suggestion I've heard is that people could hire private defense agencies, or actually hire a judge/court.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 9:43:42 PM
Right and wrong aren't properties of societal arrangements, they are properties of how one's goals interact with reality.

Judging from your question about punishment, I'd presume you were asking about law, not morality (right vs wrong).
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Defensor-of-Apollo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 11:14:20 PM
At 11/28/2011 9:43:42 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Right and wrong aren't properties of societal arrangements, they are properties of how one's goals interact with reality.

Judging from your question about punishment, I'd presume you were asking about law, not morality (right vs wrong).

It was worded poorly. Do anarchists usually look at the harm principle? I don't see anything in an anarchist society that would stop me from killing someone. I know I have a misconstrued view of it and want to fix it since it is, I think, close to my libertarian position.
HyenaD
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2011 3:17:14 AM
If you're talking about a system of law in an anarchist society, a proposed one does exist. Basically, the idea is that people are punished by exclusion. Anarchists don't think it's moral to harm or coerce someone in punishment, but they do think it's OK to exclude someone from the benefits of living in a community. The idea is that when you live in a community, you agree to live by its rules, which are democratically agreed upon. If you break these rules, the community may exclude you from receiving certain benefits that come with being a member of the community.
If you're talking about morality in a more literal sense, yes, anarchists have a sense of right and wrong. Anarchists are not nihilists.
Anarchists may differ greatly in what they consider moral. Historically some anarchists have been pacifists, while others have been revolutionaries and even terrorists. It depends on the individual.
Anarchists also vary in the idea of the world they'd like to live in. Some advocate a primitivist society, and are anti-technology. More often, though, anarchists are very pro-technological advancement.
Basically, the unifying thing is that anarchists support direct democracy, and want to come as close to that as possible.