Jump to topic:

Unconstitutional Bill Passes in Senate, 93-7

DoctorZhiva90
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2011 3:39:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Seems as though Ron Paul was right: the Patriot Act has paved the way for US citizens to be considered terrorism suspects and thrown in Gitmo without a trial. What could make you a suspect. As Rand Paul notes, something as basic as owning a gun or having a stockpile of food that could last for over seven days.

Looks like the NWO theories have just gained a whole lot of credibility.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2011 11:28:35 PM
At 12/5/2011 4:08:25 PM, logicrules wrote:
aint that just dandy... thought Obama was opposed to the Patriot Act

Oh puh-leez. He's a politician. He profits from taking our rights away. There will always be politicians that oppose unpopular things, but rarely any that do anything.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 7:43:18 AM
At 12/5/2011 11:28:35 PM, lovelife wrote:

Oh puh-leez. He's a politician. He profits from taking our rights away. There will always be politicians that oppose unpopular things, but rarely any that do anything.

Profits? How so? I thought he was just a disingenuous politician preying on the ignorance of a cowardly electorate.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 8:49:32 AM

He was before he became president. If you haven't noticed, Obama is a hypocrite.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 9:33:52 AM
The more people imprisoned the more money the government makes. The more ppl they can get to enforce laws the stronger the government gets. Both parties are full of liars and selfish greedy hypocrites.

I wouldn't say obama was a hypocrite -for this- but I would call him a liar and greedy anti american slime ball...but that's virtually every politician. Except possibly ron paul but id -almost- rather he not get elected cause id rather keep the hope that he'd be better than confirmation that every politician is scum.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 9:42:59 AM
for f*cks sake are you all so blinded by your distaste for Obama that you couldnt actually go research this thing and find out its not as controversial as you think?

the bill is 90% defense budget appropriations and the controversial part in question is the language that describes how some people found to have extensive ties and connections to Al-Qaeda or terrorist groups may be detained with military custody rather than local or FBI custody.

The bill goes on to state how suspects may be detained for years without a trial or being charged, but keep in mind this is regarding people with connections to terrorist groups not normal people like you and me. Even though I am against indefinite detainment without being told what is charged against you it seems that people believe that it could happen to them, and I found that laughable.

http://www.npr.org...
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 9:46:27 AM
At 12/6/2011 9:42:59 AM, imabench wrote:
for f*cks sake are you all so blinded by your distaste for Obama that you couldnt actually go research this thing and find out its not as controversial as you think?

the bill is 90% defense budget appropriations and the controversial part in question is the language that describes how some people found to have extensive ties and connections to Al-Qaeda or terrorist groups may be detained with military custody rather than local or FBI custody.

The bill goes on to state how suspects may be detained for years without a trial or being charged, but keep in mind this is regarding people with connections to terrorist groups not normal people like you and me. Even though I am against indefinite detainment without being told what is charged against you it seems that people believe that it could happen to them, and I found that laughable.

DoctorZhiva90
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 6:26:56 PM
At 12/6/2011 9:42:59 AM, imabench wrote:

This isn't about Obama, this is about the fact that we are creating a police state that will completely disregard the Constitution if American citizens are "suspected" of terrorism. So you're okay with the fact that this bill would allow you to be detained as a terrorism suspect without any fair trial just because they "believed" you were part of al-Qaeda? And so what if it's 90% defense spending appropriations? This is a clear violation of Constitutional liberties: the Constitution does not permit arbitrary detainment in Gitmo if you are an American citizen suspected of terrorism. You have to be given a fair trial, with more probable cause than having multiple guns or a stockpile of food. Rand Paul is no fool, listen to what he says in the video.

And before you go attacking others for being concerned about possibly being detained, remember that no one on here is concerned that this is definitely going to happen to them just because they meet some of the criteria. Rather, it is a deeply shocking fact that the US government has the full right to send "normal people like you and me" into military custody. This in itself is where this bill lies in the wrong, since every American citizen is Constitutionally entitled to a fair trial, even if they are domestic terrorists.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 9:45:45 PM
Obama is against the patriot act, but doesn't act adequately.

I am for the patriot act, but it needs to be touched up and tweaked.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross