Jump to topic:

Let's Save the Post Office

charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 2:47:51 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Everyone, please copy and e-mail the message below to your congressional representative and senator.

The modern American post office is unquestionably one of the great marvels of organizational and logistical engineering and efficiency in the history of public institutions, it would be a true tragedy and a moral crime if it's reduced to a molassic monument to the current Congress' incompetence, i.e. another testimony to the talent of politicians to muck up a good thing we do not need. The public certainly doesn't want the glory days of the United States Postal Service to be in the past; no, voters won't be at all happy when it becomes a pathetic shell of its former self before their very eyes. This will just be one more proverbial nail in the proverbial coffin of the electorate's fading respect for its public institutions, and further damning evidence that we the people can expect precious little from a Tea Party-gridlocked government. Take action and save the post office before it soon becomes another casualty of Congress and more fodder for the right wing to use in promoting its pro-big business agenda of maligning and eliminating public services.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 2:56:41 PM
success! that's "read a charleslb OP" crossed off the bucket list!

...didn't understand a word of it, but i'll put that down to me.
signature
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 3:18:35 PM
At 12/6/2011 2:56:41 PM, badger wrote:
success! that's "read a charleslb OP" crossed off the bucket list!

...didn't understand a word of it, but i'll put that down to me.

I'll put that down to you too. As for reading the above post allowing you to cross an item off of your personal bucket list, not so fast there, friend badger. The OP isn't exactly a "post" per se, not by my standards, at least. It's simply a prefabricated letter to one's congressman that folks can e-mail to their elected representatives as a way of participating in the effort to save the post office as we know it. If you wish to read a real charleslb OP, well, there are still some on the first page of the society section. Happy and edifying reading to you.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 3:20:02 PM
I do hope there is some substance in those words of yours, my friend...
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 3:22:26 PM
At 12/6/2011 3:20:02 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

I should hope so too, dear fellow.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 3:25:00 PM
At 12/6/2011 3:22:26 PM, charleslb wrote:
At 12/6/2011 3:20:02 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

I should hope so too, dear fellow.

After all, it is certainly a waste of ten minutes to read something that is as empty as a barrel.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 3:33:55 PM
Mail delivery, like everything else, is much more innovative and efficient when provided on a free market.

Plus, it's not funded by force.
President of DDO
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 3:35:28 PM
I have family who works in the post office. The post office is already a mess, and has been for years.

Under the previous congress the post office had to fire letter carriers for the first time in history.

Further more the tea party candidates are in the minority. Not all republicans are tea party candidates, and only the house is controlled by republicans; the senate is still controlled by democrats.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 3:37:25 PM
At 12/6/2011 3:33:55 PM, jimtimmy wrote:
Mail delivery, like everything else, is much more innovative and efficient when provided on a free market.

Plus, it's not funded by force.

No tax payer dollars are used on the USPS. Letter carriers are not federal employees.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 4:15:01 PM
At 12/6/2011 3:43:58 PM, jimtimmy wrote:
http://spectator.org...

Ya, the USPS is great.

If you want to know why the USPS is struggling, look no further than the PAEA. In 2006 it required the USPS to pre-fund 75 years of healthcare benefits in only a 10 year time frame.

Doing so was clearly designed as a labor busting action. Attempting to force the USPS workers to take dirt cheap healthcare (or none at all) so that they could actually afford the rediculus requirement (which is not imposed on any other business). So the whole "the USPS is inefficient, just look at how much money they are losing" was directly caused by republicans in order to force the USPS to collapse (doesn't look good to just fire them, better to give them so many expenses that they can't stay afloat, then blame them).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 4:17:11 PM

Ya, the USPS is great.

That's a bail out, not funding.

The USPS is funded by stamps, and package delivery. It's finances act like a private sector company, only it is required to break even.
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 4:20:51 PM
At 12/6/2011 4:15:01 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Ya, the USPS is great.

If you want to know why the USPS is struggling, look no further than the PAEA. In 2006 it required the USPS to pre-fund 75 years of healthcare benefits in only a 10 year time frame.

Doing so was clearly designed as a labor busting action. Attempting to force the USPS workers to take dirt cheap healthcare (or none at all) so that they could actually afford the rediculus requirement (which is not imposed on any other business). So the whole "the USPS is inefficient, just look at how much money they are losing" was directly caused by republicans in order to force the USPS to collapse (doesn't look good to just fire them, better to give them so many expenses that they can't stay afloat, then blame them).

Yes, the evil Republicans forced UPS to give their workers ridiculous retirements benefits that they couldn't afford.

Meanwhile, the fiscally responsible Public Unions and Democratic Party were doing all they can to keep public workers from getting excess benefits.

As usual, Ore_Ele, you have amazed us all with a rational, well thought out way to blame Republicans for the excess benefits public workers get.
President of DDO
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 4:21:54 PM
At 12/6/2011 4:20:51 PM, jimtimmy wrote:

Ya, the USPS is great.

Yes, the evil Republicans forced USPS to give their workers ridiculous retirements benefits that they couldn't afford.

Meanwhile, the fiscally responsible Public Unions and Democratic Party were doing all they can to keep public workers from getting excess benefits.

As usual, Ore_Ele, you have amazed us all with a rational, well thought out way to blame Republicans for the excess benefits public workers get.
President of DDO
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 4:52:45 PM

Ya, the USPS is great.

Yes, the evil Republicans forced UPS to give their workers ridiculous retirements benefits that they couldn't afford.

Republicans controlled the house, senate, and presidency at the time. Hmmmm, no, I'm sure it couldn't have been them. Wait, Tom Davis, republican from VA-11, was the sponcer of the bill? Naw, still couldn't have been the republicans.

The lame duck congress (this was 2006, after they lost both houses in the election, but before they actually handed off control) voted via voice vote, so no record was actually kept of who voted on it, but since the Republicans controled all houses and they moved it through extremely quickly (introduced on 12/7/2006, and passed both houses by 12/9/2006), they can't claim that they did not support it.

The CBO estimated that the bill would save money at first, but start costing money in 2011. Of course, at the time, they had no idea that Healthcare costs would be rising so much or that we would be going into a recession, so the estimates came out low. But still, pretty good job knowing what year it becomes a cost.

http://thomas.loc.gov...
http://www.govtrack.us...
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 12:37:36 AM

Thank you for this. I perhaps too generously assumed that informed and smart folks like the habitués of DDO knew this bit of backstory to the postal service's current financial plight. However, I should have realized that the libertarians and other free-marketarians here would once again have their heads up their doctrinaire derrieres vis-à-vis the patent political reality that the post office is facing an entirely artificial fiscal crisis inflicted upon it as a "labor-busting" ploy by anti-union conservatives. Yep, always count on free-market fundamentalists to have their noses in one of the volumes of von Mises, or to settle for the less than fact-based take on current events that they derive from FOX News, as opposed to educating themselves about real-world matters and how the Capitol Hill hucksters of their horsesh*ty pro-capitalist ideology are implicated in much of what's going awry with our society's economy and political process. Oh well, perhaps some of them will one day outgrow their ideologically jejune and quasi-religious belief in the inerrant and all-good "free market".
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 12:40:55 AM
At 12/6/2011 4:52:45 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Ya, the USPS is great.

Republicans controlled the house, senate, and presidency at the time. Hmmmm, no, I'm sure it couldn't have been them. Wait, Tom Davis, republican from VA-11, was the sponcer of the bill? Naw, still couldn't have been the republicans.

The lame duck congress (this was 2006, after they lost both houses in the election, but before they actually handed off control) voted via voice vote, so no record was actually kept of who voted on it, but since the Republicans controled all houses and they moved it through extremely quickly (introduced on 12/7/2006, and passed both houses by 12/9/2006), they can't claim that they did not support it.

The CBO estimated that the bill would save money at first, but start costing money in 2011. Of course, at the time, they had no idea that Healthcare costs would be rising so much or that we would be going into a recession, so the estimates came out low. But still, pretty good job knowing what year it becomes a cost.

I love this post. Thanks, Ore_Ele.

Libertarians should go to Somalia to see their philosophy in action.
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 12:46:54 AM
At 12/7/2011 12:40:55 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

Ya, the USPS is great.

http://mises.org...

Meet you there!

But seriously, African countries all suck... Somalia, which is stateless, actually sucks less than others.
President of DDO
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 1:42:28 PM
At 12/6/2011 3:35:28 PM, DanT wrote:
...The post office is already a mess, and has been for years...

Well, don't dis and denigrate the Postal Service to justify your libertarian depraved indifference to its fate. Sure, we all occasionally have the experience of an item of mail going missing rather than making it to its destination; and a few years ago there was that lazy letter carrier who made the news when he was caught dumping mail in a trash dumpster whenever he felt like going home early; but all in all the Postal Service does a pretty amazingly efficient job delivering hundreds of millions of pieces of mail each and every day. And no, I'm not a mailman, nor do any members of my family work for the post office, I simply recognize the phenomenal job that our postal workers do for us and feel that they're being given a rawly ungrateful and unjust deal.
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 1:58:32 PM
At 12/6/2011 4:21:54 PM, jimtimmy wrote:

Yes, the evil Republicans forced USPS to give their workers ridiculous retirements benefits that they couldn't afford.

Yes, forcing the Postal Service to fund seventy-five years worth of retirees' benefits in a ten year time frame is ridiculously counterproductive to the good fiscal health of the agency, and opposing such a requirement would clearly be the fiscally responsible thing to do.

Ah, but I'm well aware that the conservatives/libertarians here would much prefer something of a privatized throwback to the Pony Express, with ruggedly individualistic mailmen performing their jobs sans the trappings of modernity, such as a large but effective public-institutional infrastructure or government-provided health insurance. Right-libertarians would, in the words of their political idol Ron Paul, make postal workers, and workingpeople in general, take their own risks; well, and when your trusty letter carrier comes down with an illness and needs medical treatment that he/she doesn't have adequate coverage for, tough luck.

Nevertheless, libertarians would have us believe that they are a humane lot who, given their ideological druthers, would create a genuinely idyllic society. NOT! Their dream society would only be idyllic for the likes of Donald Trump and the Forbes 400. We can definitely count hardcore conservatives/libertarians out when it comes to playing any constructive part in the grassroots movement (now commencing in the form of Occupy protests) to revamp our socioeconomic system into something more just and egalitarian. (They'll play a part of course, but as the reactionary opposition.) And apparently we can count conservatives/libertarians out as far as giving a darn about saving the Postal Service from going down the toilet. But I urge the rest of you, the non-wingnuts here at DDO to contact your congressperson and senators and let them know that you're paying close and concerned attention to the impending implosion of the post office, and that you'll remember their response, or lack thereof, the next time they come up for reelection.

PS, jimtimmy, the comments in one of my previous replies apply to you, so I'll paste them below.

I perhaps too generously assumed that informed and smart folks like the habitués of DDO knew this bit of backstory to the postal service's current financial plight. However, I should have realized that the libertarians and other free-marketarians here would once again have their heads up their doctrinaire derrieres vis-à-vis the patent political reality that the post office is facing an entirely artificial fiscal crisis inflicted upon it as a "labor-busting" ploy by anti-union conservatives. Yep, always count on free-market fundamentalists to have their noses in one of the volumes of von Mises, or to settle for the less than fact-based take on current events that they derive from FOX News, as opposed to educating themselves about real-world matters and how the Capitol Hill hucksters of their horsesh*ty pro-capitalist ideology are implicated in much of what's going awry with our society's economy and political process. Oh well, perhaps some of them will one day outgrow their ideologically jejune and quasi-religious belief in the inerrant and all-good "free market".
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 2:02:50 PM
At 12/7/2011 12:46:54 AM, jimtimmy wrote:
At 12/7/2011 12:40:55 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

Ya, the USPS is great.

http://mises.org...

Meet you there!

But seriously, African countries all suck... Somalia, which is stateless, actually sucks less than others.

Djibouti v Solamia debate

I take Djibouti, you take Solamia. Somalia, given their resources, sucks bad. Compared to Ethiopia, which is completely landlocked and requires going through Somalia to transport goods, make suck in comparison, but the natural advantages that Somalia has says that it should be better, much better.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 2:56:42 PM
At 12/6/2011 2:47:51 PM, charleslb wrote:
Everyone, please copy and e-mail the message below to your congressional representative and senator.

The modern American post office is unquestionably one of the great marvels of organizational and logistical engineering and efficiency in the history of public institutions, it would be a true tragedy and a moral crime if it's reduced to a molassic monument to the current Congress' incompetence, i.e. another testimony to the talent of politicians to muck up a good thing we do not need. The public certainly doesn't want the glory days of the United States Postal Service to be in the past; no, voters won't be at all happy when it becomes a pathetic shell of its former self before their very eyes. This will just be one more proverbial nail in the proverbial coffin of the electorate's fading respect for its public institutions, and further damning evidence that we the people can expect precious little from a Tea Party-gridlocked government. Take action and save the post office before it soon becomes another casualty of Congress and more fodder for the right wing to use in promoting its pro-big business agenda of maligning and eliminating public services.

I admire you, Charles, you are always ready to leap to defense of good causes. I do feel, however, that in your own country, you are swimming against the tide.

Nevertheless, don't be too dispirited, your opinions would be considered more-or-less mainstream in most European countries.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 3:07:09 PM
If the post office's failure is a Republican political ploy, that says something about the nature of political control of businesses.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 4:04:37 PM
EVERYTHING is better privatized, including the post office.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 4:13:44 PM
At 12/7/2011 2:56:42 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:
At 12/6/2011 2:47:51 PM, charleslb wrote:

I admire you, Charles, you are always ready to leap to defense of good causes. I do feel, however, that in your own country, you are swimming against the tide.

Nevertheless, don't be too dispirited, your opinions would be considered more-or-less mainstream in most European countries.

And, we all know how well most European countries are doing.
President of DDO
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 6:33:36 PM
I have family who works in the post office. The post office is already a mess, and has been for years.

Under the previous congress the post office had to fire letter carriers for the first time in history.

Further more the tea party candidates are in the minority. Not all republicans are tea party candidates, and only the house is controlled by republicans; the senate is still controlled by democrats.

Lol the last 2 previous congresses where democrat...coincidence?
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 6:48:50 PM
At 12/7/2011 1:42:28 PM, charleslb wrote:
...The post office is already a mess, and has been for years...

Well, don't dis and denigrate the Postal Service to justify your libertarian depraved indifference to its fate. Sure, we all occasionally have the experience of an item of mail going missing rather than making it to its destination;

Did you read what I wrote or just skim through to a part where you could criticize? You took everything I said out of context. Here is the full quote

Obviously charleslb can't read.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2011 1:43:00 AM
We once needed the Pony Express. Trains replaced it. The Post Office is now dying because there is little need for it; the mail volume has dropped dramatically. Packages are delivered to any address in the country by UPS and FedEx. What used to go by first class mail is now sent by e-mail and by web transactions. That leaves mostly junk mail for the Post Office, plus a relatively few people who don't have e-mail. The mail service should now be left to private enterprise. If there is a need in some unprofitable remote locations, the government could subcontract it to the lowest bidder.