Total Posts:27|Showing Posts:1-27
Jump to topic:

What shaped your political ideology?

darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2011 10:23:33 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
What was it that caused you to be either a liberal, conservative, socialist, libertarian, etc. Were you "always" this way or was it a gradual leaning?

For me:

I used to consider myself a liberal. Mainly because, my parents are both liberals, and of course If I wanted to ask them a question regarding politics, they would always give me a partisan answer that favored the left. Considering that my only exposure to some form of politics from my parents, peers (who were liberal), or school (which has liberal-leanings), I was pretty liberal. It's not as If I thought a lot about this stuff either. But you know how everyone was kind of in the "I hate Bush" era.

I starting leaning more towards the moderate side once I entered "model legislation", fake politics for high school students. You could join either the liberal or conservative party. Once I joined, I realized that a lot of the conservative arguments made sense. The fact was that resources are limited and you can't spend a bunch of money on projects based on "feel goodness". I actually found myself convinced by their arguments and voting in favor of their positions.

I was still liberal-leaning though. However I did hold some conservative positions such as Pro-life and against affirmative action. I believed that the government needed to step in to stop global warming and support environmental issues. I also was against guns.

I think my transformation really kicked from to libertarian-leaning once I entered college. I took my first economics course and learned about public choice theory. Through public choice theory, it becomes clear that the government doesn't really run that all efficiently and there are good reasons behind this.

I also watched the "Howtheworldworks" rebuttal to "The story of stuff". It was amazing how much information in "the story of stuff" was completely bogus. Many of the claims made by environmentalist alarmists turn out to be largely false or exaggerated. Howtheworldworks other videos that debunked some claims of some liberals tended to show the beauty of the free market and the failure of government.

Then of course, I came to DDO and was exposed to more libertarian and conservative views. A lot of intelligent members on DDO are libertarian/conservative (not to say that there aren't intelligent liberals out there) which goes contrary to the popular liberal belief that they are smarter then conservatives.

I also starting watching and read more libertarian videos: Thomas Sowell, Mises academy, Bryan Caplan and Milton Friedman.

I've pulled back a little bit from my libertarian views after reading up on some of Keynesian economics. I'm still libertarian-leaning, but reject the Non Agression Principle. I've actually gone to some liberal websites to get a more fresh perspective. This site was the more interesting one:
http://www.huppi.com...
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2011 11:03:23 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I can actually trace my turning point (or forming point really, as I never cared about political stuff before then) back to the exact event.

When I was in High School, early in my Sophomore year (November, 2002). I had to do a band thing at the local senior center and had pep band for football, so I decided that it would be most efficient, time-wise, for me to leave my bike at the school overnight so that it will be there the next morning for me to bike home.

Needless to say that my bike was stolen that night. After school the next day, a police officer, the principal, and myself spent several hours going through the security tape (it was VCR tape back then, and the fast forwarding wasn't very fast at all, unless you stopped and fastforwarded) because I was smart enough to lock my bike on only bike rack that was in front of a camera.

There's a weird feeling watching someone on a video spend 45 minutes going through all the different combos on your lock until they eventually get it.

No one recognized the thief, but because the officer had seen my bike on the video, he recognized the bike as it was being riden the next day by someone from my high school (who was cutting class). The bike was brought back to me that day and I choose not to press charges. Because the kid was someone that went to my school, they never told me who it was (to avoid any risk of fights between classes).

While I thanked the efforts of the police and principal for finding it, I also recognized that the camera was an intrumental tool for success. So I thought, how much crime could be solved if cameras were simply everywhere. I was told by someone "yeah, but what about people's right to privacy?" and I thought (but didn't say, I don't like confrontation) "Screw the right to privacy. If that helps criminals get away, then I don't think it is important at all."

From there, I began to question the very notion of rights and if they were really benefitial, and it kind of snowballed from there.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2011 11:43:34 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
A lot of my ideology was formed by the book "1984". Everybody in my class kept talking about how bad of a system it advocates. I decided to read it and agreed with a lot of stuff in it.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2011 11:51:04 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
wow, well my mom's a moderate republican and my dad is a libertarian republican. My uncle is almost as right wing ad me. So what happened was I was a republican cause of my parents, but in 4th grade I became a liberal because of my grandparents. So that went on for a few months, but then I to research, and switched to a conservative like my uncle. I recently read a rush Limbaugh book, came here, and this site made more conservative. I am fairly conservative if you look at my profile. So it seems as though every month spent on this site, the more conservative I get. So my ideology started from my parents, sloped to my grandparents, moved to my uncle, and now I am on my own. And this phase in my logy is fairly stable and locked in.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2011 12:07:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
When I was a little kid, something about political leanings always bothered me. They seemed so insincere. So, when I was a teenager, I didn't really have any political leanings. I was mostly caught up with drawing and chasing tail. Politics was something I understood, but wasn't interested in, because it clearly appeared to be complete basura, and other things seemed more interesting.

Well, as I got older and aspects of it began to pervade my life, I was inevitably drawn in. By the time I was in my early twenties, I was a democrat officially, but I considered myself a conservative. Later on, that shifted to moderate. This is because there are aspects of both parties to which I subscribe. I say "both parties," because there are only two; the next president will be democrat or republican; the speaker of the house will be democrat or republican. Never in history has our government been anything but bipartisan. Everything else is a special interest club.

However, it was either my studies or my work that drew me into reading certain books -- one in particular was Party Government by Schneider. It was enlightening -- it showed how there aren't any real political parties at all. That they are simply social ruses meant to play on people's emotional projections resulting in abstractions like popularity and participation vis a vis miseducation or complete ignorance, mostly due to disinterest or inaccessibility of information.

And, what was most beautiful is that he rendered logical projections that have actually come to fruition -- it is indeed how our government and party system works. Ultimately, every politician, every member of our government is actually working toward the same goals and the same means -- they eat together, they spend money together. They need each other. The fact is that they do it to manipulate us. And they, being the upper class, those who own the majority of America's resources. That is literally the extent of human power currently -- purely conceptual based on accoutrement of resources with which everyone plays along. Like a game.

So now, I call myself a moderate to make it simple and straightfoward, as it is descriptive of my beliefs with a fair degree of accuracy. But, now I find myself perceiving politics much how I did as a kid.

In any case, unless a significant number of people agree with me, how I feel is completely irrelevant, anyway. :)
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2011 12:47:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Party government sounds lime an interesting book. I agree with those points.

I was raised Christian conservative, but by highschool, lost all faith in the government. I believed that the election system was rigged and both parties were the same. Due to a strong reaction against the republican partiy fundamentalist agenda, I brieftly considered myself a Democrat.

I soon lsnapped out of that, and became fascinated with anarchy, which I couldn't make sense of.. it seemed impossible My understanding of government, order, chaos, and economics greatly grew as I pondered these questions. My realizations during this period help sculpt my current theories on the matter. I don't look at it as something politucal, a system to be tested, or any of that. I consider my position to be an observation of what the world is, how it works.

I look at it as game theory and ultimately chaos theory in action. Pure capitalism, no matter how regulated the economy. Pure anarchy, no matter how powerful the state. A world where the most powerful thing is not force or even wealth.. but belief, and ultimately all true power is derived from this.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2011 1:33:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/16/2011 10:23:33 AM, darkkermit wrote:
What was it that caused you to be either a liberal, conservative, socialist, libertarian, etc. Were you "always" this way or was it a gradual leaning?

Trial and error mostly.

First, I was Social-Liberal, despite my family being conservative. The reason I was social-liberal was because I listen to teachers, and the media.

Around age 16, I started to realize the government was dysfunctional, and incompetent. I thus became a anarcho-socialist.

Around age 17 I realized socialism was naturally oppressive, and Capitalism was more free. I thus became anarcho-capitalist.

Around age 18 I realized that the vast majority of people are incompetent, ignorant, and unintelligent, thus anarchy can never work. From then on I was Libertarian (Classic Liberal)

Now I'm Classic Liberal, borderline Classic Liberal-Conservative.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2011 2:25:38 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
My social views haven't changed enormously. I went from being a socialist to a ultra-capitalist to a moderate. I'd certainly say the news me, just through so many reports of corporate corruption and the loan crisis as well as the realization of an unshakeable belief that everyone is entitled to a basic standard of living.
LeoL
Posts: 109
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2011 5:03:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I used to be a Conservative. I opposed abortion, euthanasia, environmental protection, and all of those things. I grew up, realized the mistakes in my former thinking, and now I'm a Liberal.
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? -Douglas Adams
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 8:55:08 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/16/2011 5:03:36 PM, LeoL wrote:
I used to be a Conservative. I opposed abortion, euthanasia, environmental protection, and all of those things. I grew up, realized the mistakes in my former thinking, and now I'm a Liberal.

Accept my debate and we'll see how conservative views are "mistakes".
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
LeoL
Posts: 109
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 9:09:27 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/17/2011 8:55:08 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 12/16/2011 5:03:36 PM, LeoL wrote:
I used to be a Conservative. I opposed abortion, euthanasia, environmental protection, and all of those things. I grew up, realized the mistakes in my former thinking, and now I'm a Liberal.

Accept my debate and we'll see how conservative views are "mistakes".

I rather debate one thing at a time, than all at once.
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? -Douglas Adams
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 12:20:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Well I witnessed the 2008 election, which drew my interest in politics, and I agreed with many of Obama's policies. Then I read Michael Moore's books which convinced me that I am a liberal. However, taking economics (and passing the class 4.0) I realized that I have a Center-Left ideology, and that government should work together with the private sector, and reform itself before reforming some institutions in the country like health care. I however do see that we need to reform Social Security and other programs, and think one good idea is if people had their own private accounts. I am liberal on economics, slightly liberal on social issues, and believe in "Smart Government" - similar to the one in Bill Clinton's new book. So, I think I am basically a Moderate leaning to the Liberal edge of the spectrum.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 12:31:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The books you read are actually of enormous importance. I remember I read Michael Savage when I was around 14 and seeing that phrase - I remember it vividly - "marriage is the cornerstone of civilization." This ridiculous line was the source of many online disputes over gay marriage for the next year. I've mentioned I was all over the political sprectrum as a teen. I was never fully Michael Savage but I was certainly conservative.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 12:37:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Most people get the wrong books because they only read things that confirm their own beliefs. Sometimes, you can benefit from reading mind rotting literature, you know.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2011 12:29:27 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I've been all over the place, probably more so than most full grown adults weirdly. I've always been fond of putting myself into the mindset of some different ideology or belief system to see what makes the most sense. I did the same thing with religion my freshman year of high school when I first began to question my Christian upbringing.

Politically, I don't remember much until early high school. I would say I was a moderate liberal. I believed in environmentalism, regulation, minimum wage and the lot just because. I was very much into the idea of people giving up some security so that everyone could be happy.

Then as I read and listened more, I started to turn against centralization of power. But I still was very liberal economically speaking. So I guess I went from a liberal to something like a grassroots socialist. I'm not really sure what word I'm looking for. I continued to drift in this direction until I finally reached AnCom, inspired by Kropotkin mostly.

Anarchism was a wonderful idea to me. It stressed the importance of democracy, cooperation, and human dignity. But then certain members of this site sort of got to me. Democracy now seemed more like tyranny, cooperation I thought should be voluntary and not enforced, and capitalism was not the antithesis to human dignity that I had basically assumed by default.

I started reading Rothbard and LeFevre, stressing the philosophical side of right wing anarchism. Some sense of individualism came out I guess and I started calling myself an AnCap. It really wasn't until after my "conversion" that I got really hooked on the economics of it all. The economic as well as the ethical justification for voluntarism and free trade made me a firm anarchist.

I still sometimes read about different political philosophies but my current beliefs always cause me to see the holes and flaws in whatever I'm reading. Perhaps I'm blinded by ideology or maybe I've just finally come to my own politically. It still feels too early to tell though. I'm only sixteen and see my beliefs continuing to change over my lifetime.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Veridas
Posts: 733
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2011 12:23:38 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I grew up more or less at the end chunk of the IRA's series of bombings and other terrorist-y type activities. I became aware of politics while John Major was Prime Minister. At the time we just sort of dealt with it. With time, discriminatory military action and diplomatic discussion the bombings ceased. While the IRA still exists, it doesn't seem terribly keen on bombing anything anytime soon. Peace has been restored, more or less.

Fast forward a decade or so.

After 9/11 I knew we were gonna have to do something similar. This time though it was going to be somewhere far off. Somewhere that basic logic dictated would not be used to our way of thinking. Despite this I figured it was a good thing.

During this tme I noticed that security cameras were being placed, well, everywhere. It was common practice for them to be stuck on the front of shops aimed at the front of the shop to catch criminals, or inside the shops themselves. Now, however, they seemed to be everywhere. Pointed in completely random directions. It struck me as odd, clearly they were meant to be a deterrent, but wouldn't the criminals just commit crime outside their visual range?

As the Labour Government under Tony Blair proceeded to rule, more and more things started to become illegal. Civil Liberties began to be chipped away piece by piece. You couldn't do this. You couldn't do that. Even when proven wrong the Government never backtracked or admitted failure.

Sometime during the midst of all this, a thought occurred. Liberty did not seem to be the concept of acting with the knowledge that you would not be punished by your Govement. Liberty would be the concept of acting without fear that your Government would try to limit or criminalise that activity.

I watched people lose the right to defend themselves in two different ways. I watched as sections of the Police Force became almost militarised while the Government cooed in our ear that it knew what it was doing, when its experiments in war and peace alike had show otherwise.

It occurred to me that people had the simple right to be masters of their own destinies. That it was for them, not the Government, to choose how to use, or whether to use, their rights.

During that same Government, the Human Rights Act was written up. I was happy, until I read it. While it enforces basic rights, it also denies them. The name is deceptive. It restricts as well as provides, it is unwaveringly literal, which allows it to effectively make illegal gay marriage because according to it, marriage is between men and women that can make family. Two men and two women can't do that.

I just looked at it and thought. "This is wrong. The good intention is there but its buried so deep. It shouldn't be like this"

When people are fearful of acting in any way because of the potential ramifications of Government and Lobbyist groups, by definition they are not free.

David Cameron earlier this week claimed that England was a Christian Country, contradicting the freedom to and from religion as set out in the Human Rights Act, as dictated in chapter one, article nine. In other words, the Government not only enforces this act regardless of detriment, but it can ignore the parts that aren't detrimental.

If the Government can do that with an act that had the primary purpose of protecting the people from Government then...frankly...I'm terrified.

Rights and the expression of them are not something a Government can grant or allow. It is above them. It is beyond them. In the same way that they assume the right to life and liberty, we assume the same. Nobody gave us that right but its ours anyway.

A right is something that is expressed for a purpose deemed acceptable by the user that does not intentionally injure, kill or otherwise can reasonably be claimed to offend, harm or endanger the rights, lives or abilities of others.

A right is not something any Government can claim to control, but they do.

I would argue that the ineffable right to stand up and say "F-ck you, Mister Cameron" is central to the survival of democracy.

Yet between overzealous security, police and other forces. I doubt anyone with the intention would ever get within earshot.

My other beliefs lean to the left on the basis that it is the Govnment's job to help and support the people they have been elected to lead. If that means spending money on libraries, schools and hospitals then yes please. Likewise if it means spending money on braille books, special needs schools and hospitals with specialist wings then, additionally, so be it. We've managed to cover an entire country in tarmac, railway tracks and motherf-cking pavements in order to better facilitate the transportation of people, building something with direct and immediate positive impact should not be thrown to the beurecratic sharks of Government funding departments. If we can spend a decade lobbing half-million pound tanks at poorly trained and malnourished goat farmers then we can afford to give someone a decent f-cking hospital to rest in when they're sick.
What fresh dickery is the internet up to today?
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2011 12:35:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Well, since I'm rather young, my story is short. Both my parents are very conservative people, but more importantly, they are good role models. They taught us to question our and their beliefs, and to find what WE believe in, nit what our parents believe in. I have done so, and I have found conservatism to be the correct belief system.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2011 12:40:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/18/2011 12:35:43 PM, OberHerr wrote:
Well, since I'm rather young, my story is short. Both my parents are very conservative people, but more importantly, they are good role models. They taught us to question our and their beliefs, and to find what WE believe in, nit what our parents believe in. I have done so, and I have found conservatism to be the correct belief system.

lol you're only 14 and you've already found the correct belief system? schmancy :P

(sorry, i hated those kinds of comments when i was younger too but its amazing how your thinking can change as you grow up)
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2011 1:38:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I actually was initially liberal a few years ago due to bias from my mother/grandma (when I first asked about the difference between the two parties when I was 8-10, I was told that Republicans were "about big business" and Democrats were for the people.") But, luckily, my parents are very bipartisan in that my dad is a pretty hardcore conservative. I say I was lucky because I got exposure from both ends of the spectrum. So, when the 2008 elections rolled around, I was a conservative politically (religiously, I had been an agnostic atheist for a while already--still am).

Then, I began to examine things from both sides, and considered myself a moderate independent, with bits from both parties, but on an more extreme level. But, lo and behold, alas and alack, last year I found out that the label for my beliefs were that of Libertarianism (but with the government still a necessity).

That stagnated for a while until I showed up here. Ever since, I've been drifting toward the realm of Anarcho-capitalism. Anarchism fascinates me, but I still refuse to give up the idea of a government being necessary.

So, that's where I am right now.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2011 2:10:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/18/2011 1:38:58 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
That stagnated for a while until I showed up here. Ever since, I've been drifting toward the realm of Anarcho-capitalism. Anarchism fascinates me, but I still refuse to give up the idea of a government being necessary.

We'll getcha sooner or later, don't you worry.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2011 2:42:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/18/2011 12:40:43 PM, belle wrote:
At 12/18/2011 12:35:43 PM, OberHerr wrote:
Well, since I'm rather young, my story is short. Both my parents are very conservative people, but more importantly, they are good role models. They taught us to question our and their beliefs, and to find what WE believe in, nit what our parents believe in. I have done so, and I have found conservatism to be the correct belief system.

lol you're only 14 and you've already found the correct belief system? schmancy :P

(sorry, i hated those kinds of comments when i was younger too but its amazing how your thinking can change as you grow up)

Maybe it will change maybe it won't. Right now, I can't see ho it could, though I guess you never know.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Steelerman6794
Posts: 158
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2011 3:02:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
My mom is Jewish and a registered Democrat. My dad grew up Catholic and is a registered Republican. Both, however, share similar views, those being generally pro-market/business. I grew up in Southern California, so everyone was pretty socially progressive (pro-Choice, pro gay rights, etc.).

I attended an evangelical Christian private school in my late-elementary through middle school years. The school didn't brainwash its students or anything (the teachers didn't talk politics much), but I did develop some anti-abortion, anti-homosexual, and anti-anything-not-Christian views.

I moved to Tennessee in 2007 at the beginning of my eighth grade year. I couldn't stand Bush because of his war-mongering policies, so I hopped on the Obama train during the 2008 election. Funny how I was conservative when I lived in a blue state but liberal when I lived in a red state.

Anyway, soon after Obama's election the effect wore off, and I became fiscally conservative, but still socially progressive. I then joined my high school debate team, which further accelerated my political maturity. After joining DDO, I dappled a bit in minarchism, but now view government as both necessary and, when done right effective, especially regarding the environment and infrastructure.

I now consider myself a "Pragmatist." In other words, I try not to be ideological. Different circumstances require different policies and different priorities.

This is a fantastic threat btw.
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2011 6:11:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I was never into politics but I think I always leaned to the right till my late 20's, when my entire outlook on the professional world changed.

I was an Assistant Store Manager at Wal-Mart. I had been with the company for 8 years, worked my way up from a cart pusher, and was notorious for my hard work ethic and dedication to the company. I worked past my scheduled time (on salary so I never got a dime extra for it) almost every day to make sure things were done. I came in on my days off anytime I needed to, I even gave up a number of vacations (again with no compensation) because the store could not afford to lose me for a week.

After 8 years of this my father passed away and left his estate to his family with me as his executor. It was all too much for one person to handle. I decided to step down from a manager and transfer to a store closer to my fathers properties so that I could focus on my responsibilities to my family.

Regarding my transfer, I did exactly what I was supposed to do, but when the time came there was a paperwork error on their part (which they admitted) and they told me I had to go back to my original store which I could not do because of my obligations. I told them this and they said they would "investigate the error" to find out what store I was supposed to be in. When I called back a few days later I was told that I was no longer with the company. They said I was terminated because I never came back to work, even though the store I was supposed to be working in was never resolved.

8 years of sacrificing, putting the company before myself, and this is where it got me. A $9,000 retirement plan and a resume that would allow me to go out and find someone else to dedicate my life to. A salary based on 3 merrit raises, annual evaluation raises for "exceeding expectations", and all the benefits I accumulated for being with the company for 8 years were all wiped out with the stroke of a pen by some guy who didn't want to report to his boss that he was wrong.

I began to realize what it truly means to work for someone else, but in the coming months I also realized how difficult and nearly impossible it is to get rich working for yourself. I began to understand the imbalance in our society between those at the top and those at the bottom in terms of what they have, and what they did to earn what they have. My findings on this have lead me to adopt most liberal views.
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2011 6:31:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/18/2011 6:11:07 PM, Double_R wrote:
I was never into politics but I think I always leaned to the right till my late 20's, when my entire outlook on the professional world changed.

I was an Assistant Store Manager at Wal-Mart. I had been with the company for 8 years, worked my way up from a cart pusher, and was notorious for my hard work ethic and dedication to the company. I worked past my scheduled time (on salary so I never got a dime extra for it) almost every day to make sure things were done. I came in on my days off anytime I needed to, I even gave up a number of vacations (again with no compensation) because the store could not afford to lose me for a week.

After 8 years of this my father passed away and left his estate to his family with me as his executor. It was all too much for one person to handle. I decided to step down from a manager and transfer to a store closer to my fathers properties so that I could focus on my responsibilities to my family.

Regarding my transfer, I did exactly what I was supposed to do, but when the time came there was a paperwork error on their part (which they admitted) and they told me I had to go back to my original store which I could not do because of my obligations. I told them this and they said they would "investigate the error" to find out what store I was supposed to be in. When I called back a few days later I was told that I was no longer with the company. They said I was terminated because I never came back to work, even though the store I was supposed to be working in was never resolved.

8 years of sacrificing, putting the company before myself, and this is where it got me. A $9,000 retirement plan and a resume that would allow me to go out and find someone else to dedicate my life to. A salary based on 3 merrit raises, annual evaluation raises for "exceeding expectations", and all the benefits I accumulated for being with the company for 8 years were all wiped out with the stroke of a pen by some guy who didn't want to report to his boss that he was wrong.

I began to realize what it truly means to work for someone else, but in the coming months I also realized how difficult and nearly impossible it is to get rich working for yourself. I began to understand the imbalance in our society between those at the top and those at the bottom in terms of what they have, and what they did to earn what they have. My findings on this have lead me to adopt most liberal views.

The truth, special for Jimtimmy, Reasoning, LordKnuckle, and the rest of you libertarians.
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2011 6:37:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Being pragmatic, leaving behind the ideologue and embracing the theorist with in myself; that defines my political philosophy.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2011 6:44:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
It's funny that I complain about the same things as the socialists due, but I'm still a technical libertarian.

The world certainly is fvcked up, but it is really easy to trade one slavemaster for another. It's all the same thing, but in one case, the oppressors are even more powerful, and have all the guns.

You can not take away a man's right to subjugate the willing.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2011 6:49:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/18/2011 6:44:43 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
It's funny that I complain about the same things as the socialists due, but I'm still a technical libertarian.

The world certainly is fvcked up, but it is really easy to trade one slavemaster for another. It's all the same thing, but in one case, the oppressors are even more powerful, and have all the guns.

You can not take away a man's right to subjugate the willing.

You sound like Nozick, and need to balance yourself with John Rawls...