Jump to topic:

What's going on with Iran?

Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 1:39:41 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I know stuff is going down with Iran, but i'm not too keen on the details.

I've heard that Iran is planning on going to war with Isreal.

I've heard that they are developing nuclear power and have made claims that they will use it if they are attacked.

I've heard about them taking down USA's drone's that were sent to spy on them and know what we know about them.

I've heard that Russia, Japan, and Iran are allies.

I don't know how much of this is true because i'm not versed on legit news sources. There is so much crap on the internet. I know they found the drones but am not sure about the rest.

So wise DDO members, enlighten me about the Iran developments. Who are their allies? Who are their main enemies and why? Are they planning on using nukes or going into war? Is there a likely potential for a WWIII?

News articles would be appreciated as well.

Example: I read stuff like this, and it sounds true enough but it is mainly speculation with no sources backing it up besides a link to "isreal today": http://www.thejerusalemconnection.us...
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 1:56:25 AM
Iran has no nukes right now, though there are "credible sources" saying that they're develeoping them. http://www.cnn.com...

Iran has never gone to war with anyone in their history. However, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad (their president) is known for human rights violations and being an unstable leader in general.

But at the very least, they aren't going to go to war with Israel, a nuclear state. Israel can just be like "well if you attack us we'll nuke you", and even though Ahmadinejad isn't the smartest man in the world, he doesn't want to get his country blown to pieces.

If Iran develops nukes, I think they probably would use them if they were attacked. But they won't be attacked, because you don't attack nuclear states.

The more important issue with them is terrorism. Iran is a hotbed for a lot of terrorist agencies, and they're not US friendly. You could probably find sources saying that some pars of their government have been infiltrated by them already, and this is where their nuclear threat is. Because terrorists don't care about living if they can take America with it. I don't think the probability of a terror group actually stealing or building a nuclear weapon is that high, but its still there.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 2:00:55 AM
I didn't clarify this, but Iran itself poses no real threat to the US. They're not going to nuke us because they don't want to get nuked back. But terrorists obviously don't care about such retaliation. They kill themselves in suicide attacks all the time. So if they got nuclear materials, we've got a problem.
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 2:11:26 AM
At 12/17/2011 2:00:55 AM, BlackVoid wrote:
I didn't clarify this, but Iran itself poses no real threat to the US. They're not going to nuke us because they don't want to get nuked back. But terrorists obviously don't care about such retaliation. They kill themselves in suicide attacks all the time. So if they got nuclear materials, we've got a problem.

yeah, I guess that makes sense. There is the unfounded stipulation that a country as a whole is willing to do what a few die-hard people did.

But, japan attacked us when we had nukes. That didn't stop them. They didn't even surrender when we threatened them with them. Why is that?

Are japan and iran allies?

What is the likelihood that another country attacks Iran right now? What is the turmoil? is it simply their threat of developing nukes?
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 2:19:49 AM
At 12/17/2011 2:11:26 AM, Lickdafoot wrote:
At 12/17/2011 2:00:55 AM, BlackVoid wrote:

yeah, I guess that makes sense. There is the unfounded stipulation that a country as a whole is willing to do what a few die-hard people did.

But, japan attacked us when we had nukes. That didn't stop them. They didn't even surrender when we threatened them with them. Why is that?

You mean Pearl Harbor? We didn't have nukes then.

http://lmgtfy.com...

I'm sorry, I had to...

What is the likelihood that another country attacks Iran right now? What is the turmoil? is it simply their threat of developing nukes?

I'm not sure, someone else will have to get to you on that.
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 2:34:09 AM
At 12/17/2011 2:19:49 AM, BlackVoid wrote:

Wikepedia says that an atomic bomb is nuclear. ^^;;

http://lmgtfy.com...

lmfao. thanks, i think :P China, Russia, Germany, France.

See. and this is where it get's effed. On that same google link you gave me, there is an article that talks about how Obama says he's going to attack iran.

I think the internet is too much for my spongy mind O.o

"A subscriber-only report by DebkaFile, the Israeli intelligence outfit which has been proven accurate in the past, reveals that shortly after the end of NATO operations in Libya at the start of this week, 'President Barack Obama went on line to America's senior allies, Britain, France, Germany, Italy, Israel and Saudi Arabia, with notice of his plan to attack Iran no later than September-October 2012 – unless Tehran halted its nuclear weaponization programs.'"
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 2:45:40 AM
At 12/17/2011 2:17:16 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
Iran and Iraq are also bitter enemies.
Iran has a solid theocracy, you get a better idea of the political makeup by examining this dude
http://en.wikipedia.org...

k, i'm reading about it now. thanks.
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 2:59:21 AM
At 12/17/2011 2:45:40 AM, Lickdafoot wrote:
At 12/17/2011 2:17:16 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
Iran and Iraq are also bitter enemies.
Iran has a solid theocracy, you get a better idea of the political makeup by examining this dude
http://en.wikipedia.org...

k, i'm reading about it now. thanks.

i guess in order to fully understand their political standpoint, some knowledge about islam is needed since the two seem to be intertwined.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 3:08:26 AM
Remember what I said about Iran and Iraq. American troops in Iraq are actually buffering Iran's aggression. The troop pullout will be... interesting....
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 3:32:42 AM
At 12/17/2011 3:08:26 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
Remember what I said about Iran and Iraq. American troops in Iraq are actually buffering Iran's aggression. The troop pullout will be... interesting....

well let's hope that they become so busy attempting to blow each other up that they leave the rest of the world out of it O.o (and whatever weapons they do have aren't that powerful)

some would say that's a typical American response but we should have stayed out of their dang business in the first place.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 3:40:31 AM
There's nothing really wrong with letting the locals fight it out and get it out of their system. I believe God allows wars to happen for a reason.
Veridas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 6:38:24 AM
At 12/17/2011 3:40:31 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
There's nothing really wrong with letting the locals fight it out and get it out of their system. I believe God allows wars to happen for a reason.

Dear God.

If this isn't a troll then this is the reason why people hate you.

Sincerely.
Veridas.
What fresh dickery is the internet up to today?
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 1:39:46 PM
At 12/17/2011 1:39:41 AM, Lickdafoot wrote:
I know stuff is going down with Iran, but i'm not too keen on the details.

I've heard that Russia, Japan, and Iran are allies.

No Russia, North Korea, China, and Iran are allies. Japan is not allied with Iran.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 1:55:50 PM
At 12/17/2011 2:34:09 AM, Lickdafoot wrote:
At 12/17/2011 2:19:49 AM, BlackVoid wrote:

Wikepedia says that an atomic bomb is nuclear

We didn't have the A-bomb till after pearl harbor. Pearl harbor started the war, the nukes ended it. We tested the nukes on japan, when they refused to surrender. Twice.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 2:00:55 PM
Iran is no threat to us, and if they ever developed and used nukes in war, the world would gang rape them.

Israel would destroy Iran easily, and Iran wouldn't dare use nukes on Jerusalem especially, because it is a holy Islamic city. I see a lot of political propaganda being used as a means to get us comfortable with the idea of takinf them out if war were to occur.

I also am suspicious of the captured drone. I wouldn't be surprised if it was intentionally allowed to get into Iran's hands. Why wouldn't there be a self destruct mechanism in such allegedly asvanced and secret military technology? It's all fishy to me.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 2:10:54 PM
At 12/17/2011 2:00:55 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Iran is no threat to us, and if they ever developed and used nukes in war, the world would gang rape them.

That's wishful thinking.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 2:30:57 PM
At 12/17/2011 2:10:54 PM, DanT wrote:

That's wishful thinking.

I believe it is an accurate prediction. Plus, nuclear war doesn't make sense from a realestate perspective.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 6:06:24 PM
At 12/17/2011 2:30:57 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 12/17/2011 2:10:54 PM, DanT wrote:

That's wishful thinking.

I believe it is an accurate prediction. Plus, nuclear war doesn't make sense from a realestate perspective.

Funny how it didn't seem to make much of a difference when Russia gave Cuba nukes, during the cold war.

Japan didn't seem to care when they got nuked the first time, as it took a second nuke to convince them to surrender.

Iran is 636,372 sq mi, and is buddy buddy with China, Russia, and North Korea in regards to military cooperation.
Russia has more nukes than the US.

On top of that, realestate isn't much of an issue to a totalitarian state, power is the main objective, and sometimes even ideological zeal.

delivery is also not an issue. Jericho is a perfect example of how a simple delivery system can do allot of damage.
Rasheed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 6:11:10 PM
In order to understand the behavior of anything you have to first look at its history. Iran democratically elected a leader in the 1950's who wanted to nationalize the newly discovered oil, but British and American intelligence agencies instigated a coup and placed a puppet ruler in charge called the Shah of Iran (you have probably heard of him). He gave sweetheart deals to Western oil companies who exploited the resources of Iran. In the 1970's the Islamic Revolution overthrew the Shah of Iran and the Ayatollah Komieni came to power, and he again nationalized the oil and kicked Western oil companies out.

During the Iran-Iraq War the United States sided with Iraq. This is the backdrop from which the whole Iran-America drama is taking place. Anyone who knows the history of these two countries understands that Iran is certainly right to be suspicious of the United States and the West, just as we would be suspicious of a foreign country that interfered with our internal affairs, and because they are a Muslim country they are angry with Israel for their occupation of Palestinian lands, and the mistreatment of those people when they had nothing to do with the suffering of the Jewish people. Iran sees it as their duty to help an oppressed people fight an invader who is supported by the West.
Say; He Allah (S.W.T.) is One God, He Begets not, nor is He begotten, and there is none like unto Him."
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 7:16:37 PM
At 12/17/2011 1:56:25 AM, BlackVoid wrote:
Iran has no nukes right now, though there are "credible sources" saying that they're develeoping them. http://www.cnn.com...

Iran has never gone to war with anyone in their history. However, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad (their president) is known for human rights violations and being an unstable leader in general.

But at the very least, they aren't going to go to war with Israel, a nuclear state. Israel can just be like "well if you attack us we'll nuke you", and even though Ahmadinejad isn't the smartest man in the world, he doesn't want to get his country blown to pieces.

If Iran develops nukes, I think they probably would use them if they were attacked. But they won't be attacked, because you don't attack nuclear states.

The more important issue with them is terrorism. Iran is a hotbed for a lot of terrorist agencies, and they're not US friendly. You could probably find sources saying that some pars of their government have been infiltrated by them already, and this is where their nuclear threat is. Because terrorists don't care about living if they can take America with it. I don't think the probability of a terror group actually stealing or building a nuclear weapon is that high, but its still there.

Ahmoudinejad is not an important leader. He claims that America was behind 9/11 and says he will wage war with Israel. No-one would want him in charge of the country! That's why Ahmadinejad isn't in charge -- Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei is. Despite a title that sounds like an overcompensating member of the Ku Klux Clan, Khamenei has been in charge for years. Unlike American presidents, Ahmadinejad doesn't control Iran's nuclear strategy, armed forces or even foreign policy.

In the words of cracked.com (cus humour is second most important):

Ahmadinejad is more like the Joe Biden of Iran -- he says stupid things that embarrass the country, but the guy in power thinks he's a good enough idiot, so he keeps him around. Though even that gives President Spell-Check a little too much credit, because Ahmadinejad isn't even the second most powerful guy in the country.
Try 14th. In addition to Lord Sexgantic Ayatollah Khamenei, he's outranked by the 12 members of the Guardian Council, which sounds like something out of the extended Star Wars universe, but actually functions more like Ahmadinejad's boss. They can shoot down his ideas via veto and get to decide who runs for president in the first place.
As the Iranian people know, Ahmadinejad doesn't even have the power to get women into soccer games (one of his campaign promises in 2007), and he has become increasingly unpopular among the masses with every day in office.

The problem is that the West pays such an unreasonable amount of attention to Ahmadinejad that according to political experts, it's one of the only things keeping him relevant in Iran. Despite a failed economic policy, and the fact that he's pissed of the Ayatollah so much that experts don't expect him to finish his second term, the Iranian people feel like they have to pay attention to him because America is paying attention to him. And America is paying attention to him because his job title sounds impressive to us.

Read more: 6 B.S. Myths You Probably Believe About America's 'Enemies' | Cracked.com http://www.cracked.com...
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 7:17:18 PM
DanT... The world's attitude towards nuclear warfare has changed considerably since Japan,when their destructive power was first unleashed.

Iran wouldn't nuke Israel, it would be suicidal. On top of that, an Islamic state would never nuke Jerusalem. That would be the next worst thing to nuking Mecca. Iran is no threat.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 7:24:13 PM
At 12/17/2011 7:17:18 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
DanT... The world's attitude towards nuclear warfare has changed considerably since Japan,when their destructive power was first unleashed.

Iran wouldn't nuke Israel, it would be suicidal. On top of that, an Islamic state would never nuke Jerusalem. That would be the next worst thing to nuking Mecca. Iran is no threat.

Never said they would nuke Jerusalem.

Iran hates America, and Europe. A smuggles nuke can do massive damage.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 7:39:16 PM
Anyone who is scared of Iran deserves to be made fun of. Let them try to lull something I say.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 7:52:09 PM
At 12/17/2011 7:39:16 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Anyone who is scared of Iran deserves to be made fun of. Let them try to lull something I say.

You remind me of the 1814 Secretary of War John Armstrong.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 7:53:19 PM
At 12/17/2011 7:52:09 PM, DanT wrote:
At 12/17/2011 7:39:16 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

You remind me of the 1814 Secretary of War John Armstrong.

I mean 1812... I'm on my phone, it was a typo
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 11:17:09 PM
At 12/17/2011 7:24:13 PM, DanT wrote:

Never said they would nuke Jerusalem.

Iran hates America, and Europe. A smuggles nuke can do massive damage.

If Iran nukes any place is Israel, or any other nuclear state, they would get torn to pieces by our own nukes. What incentive does Iran (as a nation) have to risk the destruction of their country?
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2011 12:39:59 AM
I hate the Iranian goverment...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2011 12:49:37 AM

Exactly. Suicidal. Have you heard their leader speak? They ARE suicidal (or their leadership is). hope to God Israel will blow their nuclear facilities to Mars before they attack, but I don't see why we are taking that chance! Yes you they wouldn't nuke Jerusalem. That leaves the rest of Israel, not to mention the US, and European countries. Basically I would have no problem if we bombed their nuclear reactors, and facilities. They are past the point of using the energy for "peaceful purposes", and unless they stop(which they won't) then we should take immediate action to destroy their nuclear capabilities.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-