Total Posts:21|Showing Posts:1-21
Jump to topic:

Pride in America... Gone?

ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2012 4:30:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Why are so many people losing their pride in the United States? Despite our current financial problems we are still the greatest country on Earth.

We are the most free.
We have the best government system in the world.
We have a free market system.
We have rights.
We help people (Japanese tsunami, Haiti, Indonesia 2004-2005).

There are plenty of things to be proud of!

If not the US, then who?
If not pride then what? Revultion? That would be a sad day indeed.
UnStupendousMan
Posts: 3,475
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2012 4:35:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
We have the best government system in the world.

[facepalm] The Nordic countries would disagree with you. Plus there is EXTREME polarization, which is not good for any country.
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2012 4:37:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/2/2012 4:35:42 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
We have the best government system in the world.

[facepalm] The Nordic countries would disagree with you. Plus there is EXTREME polarization, which is not good for any country.

What do you suggest as an alternative.

And there will always be polarization of ideals in areas as diverse and large as the United States.
thett3
Posts: 14,349
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2012 4:39:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/2/2012 4:30:54 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Why are so many people losing their pride in the United States? Despite our current financial problems we are still the greatest country on Earth.

We are the most free.
False.
We have the best government system in the world.
False. I'll debate you on the merits of democracy if you wish.
We have a free market system.
Lol?
We have rights.
True. So do many others as well.
We help people (Japanese tsunami, Haiti, Indonesia 2004-2005).
True.

There are plenty of things to be proud of!

No doubt. Just no reason to be nationalistic (as your post implies).
If not the US, then who?
Then who what?
If not pride then what? Revultion? That would be a sad day indeed.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2012 4:42:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Who's losing their pride in America? This country has done many great things in the world despite the overwhelming internal and external criticism it endures. I would also argue that the U.S set a global and historic precedent for the liberation and emancipation of oppressed people everywhere, it set the precedent that the will and voice of the people can and will triumph.

Its a country that has done wonders for itself and for others. Of course you cannot be ignorant to the several things we've done wrong, but any foreign nation that feels it has the moral highground to make such accusations is probably not that historically pure itself. We elected a minority president which will stand as a symbolic reflection of the immense progress this country has seen. For what its worth, we're not perfect, but really, Who wouldn't be proud?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2012 4:42:38 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/2/2012 4:39:10 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 1/2/2012 4:30:54 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Why are so many people losing their pride in the United States? Despite our current financial problems we are still the greatest country on Earth.

We are the most free.
False.

Who is more free?

We have the best government system in the world.
False. I'll debate you on the merits of democracy if you wish.

We are not a democracy but a republic based on represenatives. Define the premise debate, I'm interested.
We have a free market system.
Lol?
We have rights.
True. So do many others as well.

But we have a Constitution that protects them.

We help people (Japanese tsunami, Haiti, Indonesia 2004-2005).
True.

There are plenty of things to be proud of!

No doubt. Just no reason to be nationalistic (as your post implies).

I assume you are just against patriotism/nationalism in general?

If not the US, then who?
Then who what?
If not pride then what? Revultion? That would be a sad day indeed.
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2012 4:43:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/2/2012 4:30:54 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Why are so many people losing their pride in the United States? Despite our current financial problems we are still the greatest country on Earth.

We are the most free.
We have the best government system in the world.
We have a free market system.
We have rights.
We help people (Japanese tsunami, Haiti, Indonesia 2004-2005).

There are plenty of things to be proud of!

If not the US, then who?
If not pride then what? Revultion? That would be a sad day indeed.

I have pride in the ideals and what we stand for. In our people? In our government? No. We are too liberal. We can't throw out illegal fvcking immigrants. We can't come together as a nation when we're attacked. Both of our main parties are to far to one side or the other. We need someone in the middle. While we may be strong and great from the perspective of a foreign country, we're tearing ourselves apart.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2012 4:43:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/2/2012 4:42:34 PM, 000ike wrote:
Who's losing their pride in America? This country has done many great things in the world despite the overwhelming internal and external criticism it endures. I would also argue that the U.S set a global and historic precedent for the liberation and emancipation of oppressed people everywhere, it set the precedent that the will and voice of the people can and will triumph.

Its a country that has done wonders for itself and for others. Of course you cannot be ignorant to the several things we've done wrong, but any foreign nation that feels it has the moral highground to make such accusations is probably not that historically pure itself. We elected a minority president which will stand as a symbolic reflection of the immense progress this country has seen. For what its worth, we're not perfect, but really, Who wouldn't be proud?

There are people who are no longer proud of America. Droves of student I attend class with, people on this very site in fact.

I am happy to see that you find pride in our country still.
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2012 4:44:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/2/2012 4:39:10 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 1/2/2012 4:30:54 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Why are so many people losing their pride in the United States? Despite our current financial problems we are still the greatest country on Earth.

We are the most free.
False.

What?
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
thett3
Posts: 14,349
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2012 4:46:35 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/2/2012 4:42:38 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 1/2/2012 4:39:10 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 1/2/2012 4:30:54 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Why are so many people losing their pride in the United States? Despite our current financial problems we are still the greatest country on Earth.

We are the most free.
False.

Who is more free?


Depends how you define freedom.
We have the best government system in the world.
False. I'll debate you on the merits of democracy if you wish.

We are not a democracy but a republic based on represenatives. Define the premise debate, I'm interested.
Monarchy is a superior system of state than democracy?
We have a free market system.
Lol?
We have rights.
True. So do many others as well.

But we have a Constitution that protects them.
Other countries do as well. Besides, why is the constitution inherently good?

We help people (Japanese tsunami, Haiti, Indonesia 2004-2005).
True.

There are plenty of things to be proud of!

No doubt. Just no reason to be nationalistic (as your post implies).

I assume you are just against patriotism/nationalism in general?
Not patriotism. I am proud of my country, and others should be as well. It's a great country. But a lot of "patriotic" (nationistic) Americans make it out to be the greatest and most perfect thing to ever exist.

If not the US, then who?
Then who what?
If not pride then what? Revultion? That would be a sad day indeed.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2012 4:52:16 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/2/2012 4:46:35 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 1/2/2012 4:42:38 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 1/2/2012 4:39:10 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 1/2/2012 4:30:54 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Why are so many people losing their pride in the United States? Despite our current financial problems we are still the greatest country on Earth.

We are the most free.
False.

Who is more free?


Depends how you define freedom.
We have the best government system in the world.
False. I'll debate you on the merits of democracy if you wish.

We are not a democracy but a republic based on represenatives. Define the premise debate, I'm interested.
Monarchy is a superior system of state than democracy?
We have a free market system.
Lol?
We have rights.
True. So do many others as well.

But we have a Constitution that protects them.
Other countries do as well. Besides, why is the constitution inherently good?

We help people (Japanese tsunami, Haiti, Indonesia 2004-2005).
True.

There are plenty of things to be proud of!

No doubt. Just no reason to be nationalistic (as your post implies).

I assume you are just against patriotism/nationalism in general?
Not patriotism. I am proud of my country, and others should be as well. It's a great country. But a lot of "patriotic" (nationistic) Americans make it out to be the greatest and most perfect thing to ever exist.

I think it is the best option out there. I don't see a better country. We do have a fvcking sh!tload of problems, though.

If not the US, then who?
Then who what?
If not pride then what? Revultion? That would be a sad day indeed.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2012 5:04:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/2/2012 4:30:54 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Why are so many people losing their pride in the United States? Despite our current financial problems we are still the greatest country on Earth.

We are the most free.

The tallest midget is still a midget.

We have the best government system in the world.

Republican democracy? I'm pretty more than just the U.S. has that type of system.

We have a free market system.

Hardly. Bailouts, stimulus, regulation, intervention, copyrights, etc. The U.S. is so far from a free market. Wee got nothin on Hong Kong and Singapore.

We have rights.

Rights that are consistently deprived by the government which claims to uphold them.

We help people (Japanese tsunami, Haiti, Indonesia 2004-2005).

Were not the only ones.

There are plenty of things to be proud of!

If not the US, then who?

Why are collective governmental entities the only things to be proud of? What about culture or society or religion? To say that we can't be proud of anything except our country is to enforce a false dichotomy.

If not pride then what? Revultion? That would be a sad day.

Apathy =\= misopathy
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2012 5:14:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I agree with conservative politico
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2012 5:22:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/2/2012 5:04:29 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 1/2/2012 4:30:54 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Why are so many people losing their pride in the United States? Despite our current financial problems we are still the greatest country on Earth.

We are the most free.

The tallest midget is still a midget.

We have the best government system in the world.

Republican democracy? I'm pretty more than just the U.S. has that type of system.

We have a free market system.

Hardly. Bailouts, stimulus, regulation, intervention, copyrights, etc. The U.S. is so far from a free market. Wee got nothin on Hong Kong and Singapore.

We have rights.

Rights that are consistently deprived by the government which claims to uphold them.

We help people (Japanese tsunami, Haiti, Indonesia 2004-2005).

Were not the only ones.

There are plenty of things to be proud of!

If not the US, then who?

Why are collective governmental entities the only things to be proud of? What about culture or society or religion? To say that we can't be proud of anything except our country is to enforce a false dichotomy.

If not pride then what? Revultion? That would be a sad day.

Apathy =\= misopathy

Our system of government is completely unique.

Also you are attacking my points as if we have done these things soley on our own and that the rest of the world doesn't deserve pride when this is not true. I was merely pointing out the reasons Americans should be proud of America.
Money
Posts: 3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2012 5:58:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
well I am not sure but a lot of people I know are losing pride in America due to the fact that American products such as the flag are made in other countries. the flag that I own is made in china, the I love America mittens I own are made in china. that can be one of the problems or the mistake in going to war with Iraq and Afghanistan for that long and all the money we lost can be the problem. or the fact we elected bush for 2 terms.
Rasheed
Posts: 49
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2012 7:33:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I am surprised at this post (not really) because when a white person even brings up the issue of people not being proud to be an American it is treated so academically, but when a black person does it they are villified (exhibit A: the First Lady), even though we have a legitimate reason to make this point (think slavery, Jim Crow, racial profiling, poll taxes, segregated military, etc).

I guess many conservative Southern whites miss the days when blacks had to call them sir and ma'am, women didn't have the right to vote, and child labor was the norm. For minorities of all types there is no better time to be an American than right now.
Say; He Allah (S.W.T.) is One God, He Begets not, nor is He begotten, and there is none like unto Him."
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2012 7:58:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/2/2012 4:46:35 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 1/2/2012 4:42:38 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 1/2/2012 4:39:10 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 1/2/2012 4:30:54 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
We have the best government system in the world.
False. I'll debate you on the merits of democracy if you wish.

We are not a democracy but a republic based on represenatives. Define the premise debate, I'm interested.
Monarchy is a superior system of state than democracy?

Assuming you are Pro I'd accept.
Prox
Posts: 128
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2012 9:49:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/2/2012 4:30:54 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Why are so many people losing their pride in the United States? Despite our current financial problems we are still the greatest country on Earth.

We are the most free.
We have the best government system in the world.
We have a free market system.
We have rights.
We help people (Japanese tsunami, Haiti, Indonesia 2004-2005).

There are plenty of things to be proud of!

If not the US, then who?
If not pride then what? Revultion? That would be a sad day indeed.

Having pride in your government is like having pride in your toolbox — unnecessary. Can't we just agree that America has some merits and demerits and not blindly spew silly exceptionalism?

Fine, I do love this place. America is a pretty decent place to be, and it's always pushing itself to do better. I don't love it because it's "the greatest place on Earth", but because of how vigorously it strives to be.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2012 9:53:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
For what it's worth I'm probably more proud to be a member of this site than I am of being an American.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
thett3
Posts: 14,349
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2012 9:55:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/2/2012 7:58:01 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 1/2/2012 4:46:35 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 1/2/2012 4:42:38 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 1/2/2012 4:39:10 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 1/2/2012 4:30:54 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
We have the best government system in the world.
False. I'll debate you on the merits of democracy if you wish.

We are not a democracy but a republic based on represenatives. Define the premise debate, I'm interested.
Monarchy is a superior system of state than democracy?

Assuming you are Pro I'd accept.

I dont honestly believe that :P...but thanks
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
thett3
Posts: 14,349
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2012 9:58:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/2/2012 9:55:59 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 1/2/2012 7:58:01 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 1/2/2012 4:46:35 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 1/2/2012 4:42:38 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 1/2/2012 4:39:10 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 1/2/2012 4:30:54 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
We have the best government system in the world.
False. I'll debate you on the merits of democracy if you wish.

We are not a democracy but a republic based on represenatives. Define the premise debate, I'm interested.
Monarchy is a superior system of state than democracy?

Assuming you are Pro I'd accept.

I dont honestly believe that :P...but thanks

OH I thought you said amusing! Well, I WOULD love to debate it, but I do have 6 straight weeks of debate coming up. Idk man...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right