Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2012 5:25:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
is it sustainable? I say no...discuss
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2012 5:27:30 PM
Nope.

Cut everything except the police force and military. Not only will this cause the debt to go down significantly, but will increase security of the nation.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2012 5:28:22 PM
At 1/8/2012 5:27:30 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Nope.

Cut everything except the police force and military. Not only will this cause the debt to go down significantly, but will increase security of the nation.

I (if I was king) wouldn't cut military spending but would freeze it.
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2012 5:29:00 PM
At 1/8/2012 5:28:22 PM, 16kadams wrote:
Nope.

I would increase military and police force spending.

Decrease everything else.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2012 5:29:06 PM
At 1/8/2012 5:26:43 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
I say no also, but we are not in as bad a position as, say, Greece. (Last time I checked...)

yeah but our debt % is actually higher. they just overreact. and inflate to much.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2012 5:29:32 PM
At 1/8/2012 5:29:00 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Nope.

what is the point?
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2012 5:30:49 PM
At 1/8/2012 5:29:32 PM, 16kadams wrote:
Nope.

what is the point?

Imperialism and homeland security.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2012 10:19:16 PM
At 1/8/2012 5:30:49 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 1/8/2012 5:29:32 PM, 16kadams wrote:
Nope.

what is the point?

Imperialism and homeland security.

we have enough of that. dislike imperialism. I am with rick santorum here, freeze spending. no cuts no increase.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2012 10:31:19 PM
We would cut overall spending in unnecessary areas by alot. The spending would go down at least 50%
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2012 10:48:39 PM
Rome also thought that funding an empire would be a good idea, and look what happened to them. They spread too far and couldn't afford to sustain it, and collapsed.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2012 10:50:33 PM
At 1/8/2012 10:48:39 PM, mongeese wrote:
Rome also thought that funding an empire would be a good idea, and look what happened to them. They spread too far and couldn't afford to sustain it, and collapsed.

Rome lacked effective communications. This was why when spread out, it collapsed. The US is highly different.
vmpire321
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2012 10:58:32 PM
At 1/8/2012 10:50:33 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Rome lacked effective communications. This was why when spread out, it collapsed. The US is highly different.

OMG. This reminds me of my history class a while back.

THere are several reasons why Rome collapsed. Don't start this debate up.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2012 11:04:02 PM
At 1/8/2012 10:58:32 PM, vmpire321 wrote:

OMG. This reminds me of my history class a while back.

THere are several reasons why Rome collapsed. Don't start this debate up.

1, debt
2, to big
3. to many enemies
4. All things tend towards entropy.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2012 11:04:49 PM

The military budget is huge no need to expand it. Still no reason to increase it's spending.
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 6:56:57 PM
Nope.

"Conservatives" like you are half the reason why our national debt is expanding at such an alarming rate. Why should military cuts be off the table? And since when does increasing military spending equal increased defense? Cuts to our military shouldn't be off the table. Do you seriously think that we have to maintain 900+ military bases in 130+ countries? I fail to see how maintaining tens of thousands of troops in Korea, Germany, and Japan increases our security, or why we shouldn't be talking about closing some or all of those bases.

Besides, the same argument many "conservatives" make against domestic welfare programs - that regardless of their merits, the reality is that we just don't have endless money to spend - can be made against military spending.

Increasing military spending does NOT increase national security. Ever hear of the CIA-coined term "blowback?" Basically, if we think we're so awesome that we should be spreading our awesomeness around the world with sanctions and bombs and bullets and secret invasions, resulting in millions of innocent deaths and even more pissed off family members/friends, eventually some people are going to be pissed enough to retaliate. Yeah, if America behaves foolishly and irresponsibly around the world, there might actually be consequences! This is the biggest reason the 9/11 attackers gave to explain their actions. Not trying to justify that, just trying to say that actions have consequences....

My point isn't that as a result of "blowback" we should bring all the troops home immediately. My point is that there should at least be some debate about ending some of our 900 military bases and maybe bringing some troops back from Korea, Japan, Germany, and other places that aren't at all relevant to our national security.

(I understand the last video is pretty controversial. I posted it not to label Bush as a terrorist but rather to demonstrate that our military presence overseas will inevitably create a backlash.)
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 10:56:44 PM
At 1/9/2012 6:56:57 PM, jat93 wrote:
Nope.

"Conservatives" like you are half the reason why our national debt is expanding at such an alarming rate. Why should military cuts be off the table? And since when does increasing military spending equal increased defense? Cuts to our military shouldn't be off the table. Do you seriously think that we have to maintain 900+ military bases in 130+ countries? I fail to see how maintaining tens of thousands of troops in Korea, Germany, and Japan increases our security, or why we shouldn't be talking about closing some or all of those bases.

Besides, the same argument many "conservatives" make against domestic welfare programs - that regardless of their merits, the reality is that we just don't have endless money to spend - can be made against military spending.

Increasing military spending does NOT increase national security. Ever hear of the CIA-coined term "blowback?" Basically, if we think we're so awesome that we should be spreading our awesomeness around the world with sanctions and bombs and bullets and secret invasions, resulting in millions of innocent deaths and even more pissed off family members/friends, eventually some people are going to be pissed enough to retaliate. Yeah, if America behaves foolishly and irresponsibly around the world, there might actually be consequences! This is the biggest reason the 9/11 attackers gave to explain their actions. Not trying to justify that, just trying to say that actions have consequences....

My point isn't that as a result of "blowback" we should bring all the troops home immediately. My point is that there should at least be some debate about ending some of our 900 military bases and maybe bringing some troops back from Korea, Japan, Germany, and other places that aren't at all relevant to our national security.

(I understand the last video is pretty controversial. I posted it not to label Bush as a terrorist but rather to demonstrate that our military presence overseas will inevitably create a backlash.)

+1

For the military part
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 11:08:02 PM
At 1/9/2012 10:56:44 PM, 16kadams wrote:
Nope.

+1

For the military part

Wow, very surprised that anyone who supports Rick Santorum could agree with anything in that post. It's literally anti-thetical to his foreign policy. Also seems to be different than what you've said about Ron Paul - you've condemned his foreign policy for being "weak" and all that. So just wondering, how could you support Santorum's foreign policy, not support Paul's, and agree with anything in my post?
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2012 1:31:51 AM
Nope.

I agree. But the greater question is: Why is anything "off the table"? Disregarding a potential solution without considering the solution is ridiculous, and the reason why we can't even produce a budget.
Chthonian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2012 7:48:34 AM
At 1/8/2012 5:25:24 PM, 16kadams wrote:
is it sustainable? I say no...discuss

Paul Krugman recent opined that (http://www.nytimes.com...) if the government can ensure the debt grows more slowly than the tax base, the debt will become increasing irrelevant. He uses the US debt after WWII as an example of how it didn't make our nation poorer and according to him it was never repaid.