Jump to topic:

Have you noticed

DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 4:11:24 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Have you noticed that there are never any shooting sprees at gun ranges; they are usually in gun free zones, such as schools, malls, and the post office.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 5:07:35 AM
So, you're insinuating that if we expand the amount regions in which guns are allowed, gun violence will reduce.

First of all, letting guns into an elementary school will not somehow reduce the amount of psychopaths that will misuse it, it will actually make it easier for psychopaths to carry it around.

Second of all, a gun battle between a criminal and victim in the mall makes no one safe and does not assure anything about the victims safety. You assume that the average citizen will measure up spontaneously to the premeditated assault of a murderer. If guns are prevented in the first place, then there is no need for a showdown.

Third, the idea of repealing laws to lessen the amount of crimes committed is outrageous. Criminals are a constant, and they will exist in equal amounts whether or not a law condemning their actions exists or not ( all except in the case of menial crimes like drug abuse). Allowing guns will not deter criminals. Allowing guns will not increase safety.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 5:36:40 AM
At 1/9/2012 5:07:35 AM, 000ike wrote:
So, you're insinuating that if we expand the amount regions in which guns are allowed, gun violence will reduce.

First of all, letting guns into an elementary school will not somehow reduce the amount of psychopaths that will misuse it, it will actually make it easier for psychopaths to carry it around.

psychopaths carry guns into school regardless of the rules, allowing law abiding citizens to carry guns will decrease the number of victims when the psychopaths eventually start shooting.

Second of all, a gun battle between a criminal and victim in the mall makes no one safe and does not assure anything about the victims safety.
No one is saying anything about a gun battle. Allowing guns in the mall will deter sane criminals, and reduce the number of casualties from insane criminals.

You assume that the average citizen will measure up spontaneously to the premeditated assault of a murderer.
You assume the premeditation takes into account individuals being armed themselves.

If guns are prevented in the first place, then there is no need for a showdown.

Unless they obtain guns from black market dealers, such as the mafia, or criminals within the military.

Third, the idea of repealing laws to lessen the amount of crimes committed is outrageous. Criminals are a constant, and they will exist in equal amounts whether or not a law condemning their actions exists or not ( all except in the case of menial crimes like drug abuse).

So by that same logic gun laws don't reduce gun crime, only disarm the victims. Thank you for proving my point.

Allowing guns will not deter criminals. Allowing guns will not increase safety.

It will deter sane criminals, because premeditated crimes involve weighing the risks. As for the insane it will reduce the number of casualties.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 8:23:08 AM
Lol I hope you're not drawing the conclusion I think you're drawing... Have you noticed there are more sick people in hospitals than schools, grocery stores and post offices?
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 8:26:10 AM
People who go on shooting sprees typically have some sort of issue with the general population, or the population they target. The OP makes no sense.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 8:43:52 AM
At 1/9/2012 4:11:24 AM, DanT wrote:
Have you noticed that there are never any shooting sprees at gun ranges; they are usually in gun free zones, such as schools, malls, and the post office.

Yes, shooting sprees are likely to occur where the shooter is not going to be going against a group of people who are similarly armed.
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 8:54:50 AM
Have you noticed there are more trees in the woods than in a desert?
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 8:55:24 AM
Have you noticed there are more penguins in Antartica than Belgium?

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 8:55:51 AM
At 1/9/2012 8:23:08 AM, nonentity wrote:
Lol I hope you're not drawing the conclusion I think you're drawing... Have you noticed there are more sick people in hospitals than schools, grocery stores and post offices?

That has nothing to do with it.

The fact is, in war for instance, you don't go for the mostly heavily armed target, you go for a weaker one. Sam basic logic applies to people going of shooting sprees.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 8:56:13 AM
Am I the only one who noticed there's a lot of books in the library? I haven't seen that many in sports stadiums... just saying...

M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 8:57:01 AM
Am I the only one who noticed it's weird if there's a moose in LA, but not if it's in Toronto? Hmmm?

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 8:57:40 AM
At 1/9/2012 8:56:13 AM, M.Torres wrote:
Am I the only one who noticed there's a lot of books in the library? I haven't seen that many in sports stadiums... just saying...

Once again, how does that apply to this at all?

What, people that go on shooting sprees automatically are drawn to schools?

nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 9:13:53 AM
Oberherr I wish I was on my laptop so that I could provide sources (and thank you for forcing me to add your username to my phone's dictionary *angryface*).

People who go on shooting sprees at schools often have a gripe with the school system or the school itself. Take Marc Lepine for example. At the Polytechnique School in Quebec he killed numerous women. It is also known that he felt that women were taking the rightful place of men in schools...

If he had actually made a conclusion I would say the OP is a non-sequitur... That's why I brought up the hospital example. There are other reasons shootings don't take place at gun zones... It doesn't mean more places should be gun zones.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 9:18:45 AM
At 1/9/2012 9:13:53 AM, nonentity wrote:
Oberherr I wish I was on my laptop so that I could provide sources (and thank you for forcing me to add your username to my phone's dictionary *angryface*).

D

People who go on shooting sprees at schools often have a gripe with the school system or the school itself. Take Marc Lepine for example. At the Polytechnique School in Quebec he killed numerous women. It is also known that he felt that women were taking the rightful place of men in schools...

If he had actually made a conclusion I would say the OP is a non-sequitur... That's why I brought up the hospital example. There are other reasons shootings don't take place at gun zones... It doesn't mean more places should be gun zones.

Hmm, fair enough. But, the fact still remains that guns make a place safer.

DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 9:48:56 AM
At 1/9/2012 9:18:16 AM, nonentity wrote:
Oh and he was rejected twice from that school before he shot it up.

Say some guy was kicked out of a gun range for a sexist remark against women shooters. Do you think there is the same likelihood, he would return to shoot the place up? If so do you think he can kill just as many people?
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 10:17:25 AM
At 1/9/2012 9:48:56 AM, DanT wrote:
If so do you think he can kill just as many people?

You know that's the answer, dude.

People don't shoot up gun ranges, HELLO, because they automatically know that everyone there is armed.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 10:19:58 AM
Lol, is this leading to gun rights?

That's funny.

You realize, the problem with gun rights is that the state wants there to be a disparity between the perceived power of the police and the perceived power of the people, or else the police would be moot.

So, if criminals could just arm themselves to the teeth because they're just starting out and their uncle is an ex con, that could be a real problem for everyone. So, rationalize a way to make it a little more difficult to get firearms, which, after all, are solely for the purpose of ending life.

Extraneous in a free and peaceful society.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 10:32:02 AM
Even if we entertain the idea that weapons would be allowed at school, just because people CAN have guns doesn't mean everyone will. At a gun range, everyone will obviously have a gun because that's what they're there for.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 10:33:49 AM
At 1/9/2012 9:18:16 AM, nonentity wrote:
Oh and he was rejected twice from that school before he shot it up.

Say some guy was kicked out of a gun range for a sexist remark against women shooters. Do you think there is the same likelihood, he would return to shoot the place up? If so do you think he can kill just as many people?

I will get to this later.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 10:34:38 AM
At 1/9/2012 10:17:25 AM, Ren wrote:
If so do you think he can kill just as many people?

You know that's the answer, dude.

People don't shoot up gun ranges, HELLO, because they automatically know that everyone there is armed.

EXACTLY. If everybody at a school/area had a gun, the shooter would be less likely to strike there because everybody is armed. Reverse logic ftw!
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 11:06:24 AM

The solution: arm all schoolchildren, mall shoppers and postal staff with M16s. The number of shootings will go right down.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 11:26:50 AM
At 1/9/2012 4:11:24 AM, DanT wrote:

Have you ever noticed that the media tend to care about rare occurrence shootings like in schools, malls and post office but don't care about everyday murders that occur in gang fights, and domestic disputes.

I forget where I found the statistics but your chances of being shot inside a school are much much lower then getting shot outside the school.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...