Jump to topic:

It goes both ways

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2012 1:10:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Whenever I am arguing with somebody about gay marriage or gay rights, they always bring up the argument that it hurts the other person if you say stuff like that. However, they never think that the argument goes the opposite way. Perhaps it hurts me that they think that gays should be able to marry.

Why do you think people only use the logic only one-way?
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Teafood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2012 1:17:35 PM
At 1/15/2012 1:10:11 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Whenever I am arguing with somebody about gay marriage or gay rights, they always bring up the argument that it hurts the other person if you say stuff like that. However, they never think that the argument goes the opposite way. Perhaps it hurts me that they think that gays should be able to marry.

So how are you hurt when people suggest that gays should have the same rights as you? Are you hurt because they don't hold the view that gays should be 2nd class citizens?
Gay people are emotional hurt by people like you who advocate that they be treated as if they are undeserving of the same rights as others
Its amazing that you think you get hurt because not everyone is a bigot like yourself
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2012 1:21:55 PM
At 1/15/2012 1:17:35 PM, Teafood wrote:

So how are you hurt when people suggest that gays should have the same rights as you? Are you hurt because they don't hold the view that gays should be 2nd class citizens?
Gay people are emotional hurt by people like you who advocate that they be treated as if they are undeserving of the same rights as others
Its amazing that you think you get hurt because not everyone is a bigot like yourself

We don't want gays to be second class citizens thats ridiculous they have the same rights as anyone else.

We hold that marriage is not a right and they shouldn't participate.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2012 1:23:49 PM

Don't bother. Just slaughter these fools in debate, forum discussion is a waste of time and energy.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
bhatti1020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2012 1:26:17 PM
I suppose that I'm a bigot because I don't think they should get married? They aren't being treated as 2nd class citizens, last time I checked, Gays can vote, serve openly in the military, go on about their business. Theres no seperate facilities for gays, no checkpoints for them. There isn't a special symbol that gays must wear.
-Tourism & Immigration minister for the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
"hey, no Jerry springer here!"
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2012 1:26:40 PM
At 1/15/2012 1:23:49 PM, 000ike wrote:

Don't bother. Just slaughter these fools in debate, forum discussion is a waste of time and energy.

I highly doubt that Teafood can slaughter me in a debate. Care to add anything, 000?
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2012 1:28:22 PM

So how are you hurt when people suggest that gays should have the same rights as you?
They do have the same rights as me.
Are you hurt because they don't hold the view that gays should be 2nd class citizens?
Second class citizen implies that they lack rights.
They have the same rights as others.

Marriage is not a right, it is a religious institution. 3000 years of history should not be threatened. I don't want to take rights away from gays, I'm just offended that they sometimes want to disregard history.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2012 1:30:25 PM

Very valid point.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2012 1:32:37 PM
At 1/15/2012 1:21:55 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

We don't want gays to be second class citizens thats ridiculous they have the same rights as anyone else.

We hold that marriage is not a right
So if the government decided Christian's can't use state marriage licenses but everyone else can, you'd have no cause to complain I presume.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2012 1:33:28 PM
At 1/15/2012 1:32:37 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

So if the government decided Christian's can't use state marriage licenses but everyone else can, you'd have no cause to complain I presume.

Marriage is a religious institution, so yes we do.
bhatti1020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2012 1:33:51 PM

but that will not happen because christian marriages are heterosexual
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2012 1:34:02 PM
Marriage is not a right, it is a religious institution. 3000 years of history should not be threatened.
S*** you want history to be preserved, we should have never gotten rid of slavery then? Probably older than marriage.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2012 1:34:11 PM
At 1/15/2012 1:30:25 PM, Reasoning wrote:

Very valid point.

http://i.qkme.me...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2012 1:35:01 PM
At 1/15/2012 1:33:28 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Reread the bolded text.
You would remain free to get married at church, just like churches are free to exclude gay people from getting married at their church where gay marriage is legal.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2012 1:35:14 PM
At 1/15/2012 1:34:02 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Marriage is not a right, it is a religious institution. 3000 years of history should not be threatened.
S*** you want history to be preserved, we should have never gotten rid of slavery then? Probably older than marriage.

Slavery violated rights. Not allowing homosexuals to marry doesn't.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2012 1:35:37 PM
At 1/15/2012 1:33:51 PM, bhatti1020 wrote:

but that will not happen because christian marriages are heterosexual

That's totally irrelevant, it's a reductio ad absurdum.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2012 1:35:51 PM
At 1/15/2012 1:35:01 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 1/15/2012 1:33:28 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Reread the bolded text.
You would remain free to get married at church, just like churches are free to exclude gay people from getting married at their church where gay marriage is legal.

Wha?
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2012 1:35:58 PM
At 1/15/2012 1:34:11 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 1/15/2012 1:30:25 PM, Reasoning wrote:

Very valid point.

http://i.qkme.me...

Genuine.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2012 1:36:15 PM
At 1/15/2012 1:35:14 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Taxing homosexuals to pay for a "religious institution" violates rights.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2012 1:37:31 PM
At 1/15/2012 1:36:15 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Such as?
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2012 1:37:40 PM
Not to mention taxing single people for it.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2012 1:38:57 PM
What type of rights does it violate?
bhatti1020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2012 1:39:12 PM
taxpayers pay for tanks..whens the last time you drove one?
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2012 1:39:34 PM
At 1/15/2012 1:37:31 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Such as?

Every single bit of involvement the government has in marriage is paid for by taxes. The tax breaks for married people? Those come out of the taxes of non married people. The various bureaucratic rules about what married people get to do and the rest don't in hospitals and the like? Enforced through tax dollars. The goddamn paper the marriage license is printed on and the time the judge spends putting it together? Taxes.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2012 1:40:19 PM
At 1/15/2012 1:38:57 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

The right to property.

The right to freedom of religion and therefore freedom from state religion.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2012 1:40:24 PM
At 1/15/2012 1:39:34 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 1/15/2012 1:37:31 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Such as?

Every single bit of involvement the government has in marriage is paid for by taxes. The tax breaks for married people? Those come out of the taxes of non married people. The various bureaucratic rules about what married people get to do and the rest don't in hospitals and the like? Enforced through tax dollars. The goddamn paper the marriage license is printed on and the time the judge spends putting it together? Taxes.

You have avoided my point. What rights, specifically, does it violate?
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2012 1:41:25 PM
At 1/15/2012 1:40:19 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

The right to property.
So denying homosexuals marriage licenses makes them unable to own property? Nice try.

Care to explain where you got that "therefore" from?
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2012 1:41:55 PM
At 1/15/2012 1:39:12 PM, bhatti1020 wrote:
taxpayers pay for tanks..whens the last time you drove one?
That's not justified either, but its closer to being justified than marriage taxes, since the tank defends the police's jurisdiction and the police deter criminals from going after me.
bhatti1020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2012 1:42:03 PM
At 1/15/2012 1:40:19 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

The right to property.

the right to property?
gays canhave their own hosues you know. Their own businesses
bhatti1020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2012 1:43:15 PM
you also pay for my education...thanks