Jump to topic:

GOP Debate

ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 9:56:50 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I think that it was a good debate. The candadites are getting batter.

Romney had a good night, he spoke well and made good points.

Gingrich also had a pretty decent night.

Ron Paul said he's for a 0% tax and continues to show the world how crazy he really is.

Did anyone else watch?
vmpire321
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 9:58:18 PM
At 1/16/2012 9:56:50 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Ron Paul said he's for a 0% tax and continues to show the world how crazy he really is.
lol agreed. Ron Paul is insane....

Did anyone else watch?

Nah I didn't watch. But how did Santorum do?
MasterKage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 9:59:42 PM

Did anyone else watch?

Awwh man...

I must have missed it. Darn it. My brother is supposted to inform me of these things.
This signature is full of timey wimey wibbly wobbly stuff...
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 10:01:33 PM
At 1/16/2012 9:58:18 PM, vmpire321 wrote:

lol agreed. Ron Paul is insane....

Did anyone else watch?

Nah I didn't watch. But how did Santorum do?

Santorum was alright. Nothing special. He made a really poorly worded comment about blacks and crime though...
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 10:05:22 PM

They're definitely starting to have concrete plans.

He was dodging left and right - it was really fun. Took a lot of strong-arm questions, and struggled to answer them well.

I don't think he did enough. He got defensive when he needed to, but it wasn't a stellar performance - something that hurts him in his position.

Ron Paul took a lot of heat. He was always quick to answer, which is what Romney lacked. Of course, Ron Paul had trouble having CONCISE answers - he was overjustifying his answers since he knew he's at a disadvantage in a military state.

Did anyone else watch?

I think Santorum performed strongly. He lead most of the offensive against Romney and had plans to support his answers. Whether they're GOOD plans, I wouldn't say that - but it's a strong play at this point of the elections.

And lastly, I think Perry had a poor night. He was able to answer here and there, and had quick quips, but overall his answers lacked substance, support, and charisma.

Another thing that disappoints me about these debates is they don't focus enough on general questions. I understand it's a Republican debates, but if these candidates want to begin getting general support, other issues should be explained. For example, how Romney would contrast against Obama; or how Santorum wants to impose social conservatism.

All in all, as a liberal, I think Paul appears to be the best for the general election. But Romney held on strong, and Paul took a beating for SC, which could prove fatal. Bye bye Perry. Gingrich already has support, so I don't think he'll be hurting; and Santorum did more than enough to survive SC.
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 10:07:13 PM
But no need to worry, boys - Colbert is the sure winner of SC.

ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 10:07:53 PM
At 1/16/2012 10:05:22 PM, M.Torres wrote:

They're definitely starting to have concrete plans.

He was dodging left and right - it was really fun. Took a lot of strong-arm questions, and struggled to answer them well.

I don't think he did enough. He got defensive when he needed to, but it wasn't a stellar performance - something that hurts him in his position.

Ron Paul took a lot of heat. He was always quick to answer, which is what Romney lacked. Of course, Ron Paul had trouble having CONCISE answers - he was overjustifying his answers since he knew he's at a disadvantage in a military state.

Did anyone else watch?

I think Santorum performed strongly. He lead most of the offensive against Romney and had plans to support his answers. Whether they're GOOD plans, I wouldn't say that - but it's a strong play at this point of the elections.

And lastly, I think Perry had a poor night. He was able to answer here and there, and had quick quips, but overall his answers lacked substance, support, and charisma.

Another thing that disappoints me about these debates is they don't focus enough on general questions. I understand it's a Republican debates, but if these candidates want to begin getting general support, other issues should be explained. For example, how Romney would contrast against Obama; or how Santorum wants to impose social conservatism.

All in all, as a liberal, I think Paul appears to be the best for the general election. But Romney held on strong, and Paul took a beating for SC, which could prove fatal. Bye bye Perry. Gingrich already has support, so I don't think he'll be hurting; and Santorum did more than enough to survive SC.

I'd second this, good analysis.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 10:16:37 PM
I think Paul's explanation of the difference between military and defense spending was the best answer he ever gave. If he just finished with, "Billions for defense, not one cent for empire!" it would have been perfect.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 10:18:31 PM
At 1/16/2012 10:16:37 PM, mongeese wrote:
I think Paul's explanation of the difference between military and defense spending was the best answer he ever gave. If he just finished with, "Billions for defense, not one cent for empire!" it would have been perfect.

Good luck raising those billions without any sort of federal taxes :P
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 10:19:25 PM

He really struggled with the Osama question. Could've explained that WAY better. The fact that it was SC had him shaken up the whole time. You could tell he was nervous the entire debate.

M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 10:20:09 PM
At 1/16/2012 10:18:31 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Federal INCOME taxes. The question was INCOME taxes. Paul tried explaining that, but it didn't come across well but the question was about federal income taxes.

ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 10:23:46 PM
At 1/16/2012 10:20:09 PM, M.Torres wrote:

Federal INCOME taxes. The question was INCOME taxes. Paul tried explaining that, but it didn't come across well but the question was about federal income taxes.

I know but that's where the government gets the vast majority of its money. I'm for low taxes, reasonable taxes but I still believe we need some taxes to let government function.
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 10:23:59 PM
At 1/16/2012 10:20:09 PM, M.Torres wrote:

Agreed, he need to explain better that the coutry for well over a century operated with no federal income tax.

They subsisted on other taxes.

I would be very supportive of a 0% income tax if he knocked everything back to an import tax, but there is no way the government would be more than a shell.
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 10:25:46 PM
At 1/16/2012 10:24:08 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
Is there gonna be a rerun on any channel? I didnt even know anything was on tonight.

I don't think so. The Spin Room is currently on Fox right now if you'd like. I'm sure articles are already popping up on different sites if you look.

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 10:25:51 PM

GTFO with your lies. Are you a New World Order disinfo agent?

"Paul believes that the country could abolish the individual income tax by scaling back federal spending to its fiscal year 2000 levels; financing government operations would be primarily by excise taxes and non-protectionist tariffs."
-- http://en.wikipedia.org...
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 10:26:14 PM
At 1/16/2012 10:24:08 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
Is there gonna be a rerun on any channel? I didnt even know anything was on tonight.

Probably not but there's another debate this week (I have to check when) and then there's one in my home town, Jacksonville, on the 26th.
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 10:32:22 PM
I will also point out Gingrich had the deepest cut that was obviously true.

When he said "If you do not have the power to influence your own superpac, then how can you have the influence to function as President."

SOmething to that effect. Spot on and powerful. Gingrich forced him for the first time to publicly denounce those ads. He was so behind the lies it is absurd.

Steve Colbert did a great job on his ad hanging him on it.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 10:35:21 PM
At 1/16/2012 10:25:51 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

GTFO with your lies. Are you a New World Order disinfo agent?

"Paul believes that the country could abolish the individual income tax by scaling back federal spending to its fiscal year 2000 levels; financing government operations would be primarily by excise taxes and non-protectionist tariffs."
-- http://en.wikipedia.org...

Right thats exactly what our economy needs, tariffs. Fantastic.
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 10:42:05 PM
At 1/16/2012 10:32:22 PM, Gileandos wrote:
I will also point out Gingrich had the deepest cut that was obviously true.

When he said "If you do not have the power to influence your own superpac, then how can you have the influence to function as President."

SOmething to that effect. Spot on and powerful. Gingrich forced him for the first time to publicly denounce those ads. He was so behind the lies it is absurd.

Steve Colbert did a great job on his ad hanging him on it.

WHOOOO! COLBERT 2012!

But seriously. Gingrich and Santorum had a lot of good hits to Romney; not to mention his stumbles with hard questions from the panel. But his stability is still too strong to waver, imo. But it just makes it look like it'll be easier for Obama to rip Mitt the Ripper.

BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 10:46:55 PM
Saw a Hilarious highlight with Mitt Romney. One of the cantidates asked him if he believed felons should have the right to vote. Romney responded with a rant about Super PACs. Rofl.

Seriously, he's a generic politician in every sense of the word.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 10:50:59 PM
At 1/16/2012 10:46:55 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
Saw a Hilarious highlight with Mitt Romney. One of the cantidates asked him if he believed felons should have the right to vote. Romney responded with a rant about Super PACs. Rofl.

And then he answered and said that no he did not support voting rights to be returned to felons.

That topic was started because Santorum was complaining about a super PAC ad targeting him.

Rolf. Seriously you are a generic uneducated American voter in every sense of the word.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 10:55:25 PM
At 1/16/2012 10:50:59 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

And then he answered and said that no he did not support voting rights to be returned to felons.

That topic was started because Santorum was complaining about a super PAC ad targeting him.

Rolf. Seriously you are a generic uneducated American voter in every sense of the word.

I was about to post and defend blackvoids intellectual honor, but I'm sure he can do it himself lol. But I will say this. Being 0-2 against blackvoid on very serious topics (well ok, the Africa one was kind of a joke), I would consider him really well informed. You've misjudged.

Anyway, I felt that Herman Cain was BY FAR the strongst candidate in the debate.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 10:57:46 PM

Proof?
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 10:59:35 PM
At 1/16/2012 10:57:46 PM, BlackVoid wrote:

Proof?

Specifically about me being an uneducated american. I'm interested to see how you know my education level.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 11:00:49 PM

Proof?

To clarify: I do not mean BlackVoid is uneducated in general, but uneducated in the area of politics in the way that he takes everything he sees at face value.

My proof is that I just watched the entire debate.

It's replaying right now on Fox, go see for yourself.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 11:01:19 PM
At 1/16/2012 10:59:35 PM, BlackVoid wrote:

Proof?

Specifically about me being an uneducated american. I'm interested to see how you know my education level.

He knows because he indirectly stalks you.

See, I stalk you (which is why I replied to this post so fast), he stalks me, and you stalk him. It's like a circle of shame
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 11:05:40 PM
At 1/16/2012 11:00:49 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Proof?

To clarify: I do not mean BlackVoid is uneducated in general, but uneducated in the area of politics in the way that he takes everything he sees at face value.

^ I clarified.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 11:06:46 PM

Proof?

Sorry, I'm just less likely to be receptive to what you're saying when you end your post with a personal insult.

Anyway, I'm aware that Romney answered the question...eventually. After Santorum (I think it was him) called him out for talking about something completely unrelated to felon rights, Romney said he would answer the questions in the order he wants. I just find that pretty weird.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 11:09:08 PM
At 1/16/2012 11:06:46 PM, BlackVoid wrote:

Proof?

Sorry, I'm just less likely to be receptive to what you're saying when you end your post with a personal insult.

Anyway, I'm aware that Romney answered the question...eventually. After Santorum (I think it was him) called him out for talking about something completely unrelated to felon rights, Romney said he would answer the questions in the order he wants. I just find that pretty weird.

Why? Santorum started off whining about super PACs so Romney addressed it then answered the question. He wanted to answer the way he wanted, big deal?