Total Posts:12|Showing Posts:1-12
Jump to topic:

Who Won the Republican Debate on January 16th

1Historygenius
Posts: 1,639
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2012 12:35:21 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
According to Elephant Watcher:

Tonight, each of the candidates did well in the debate. Newt Gingrich, in particular, got a lot of applause--but so did his opponents. Mitt Romney stands to benefit the most from this, as he would like to see his competition continue to block each other. It's unlikely, for example, that Gingrich's main competitor for the Anti-Romney vote--Rick Santorum--will lose as a result of this debate. Even Rick Perry, who has fared poorly in the debates, did well. Tonight was probably Perry's strongest performance thus far. Since Perry will not win South Carolina, that only serves to take votes from Romney's competition.

In the opening round, the debate moderators went immediately to the issue of the attacks against Bain. Gingrich did not backpedal, but he came close. Instead of pressing Romney on Bain, Gingrich said that he had merely been "asking questions." Romney took the opportunity to put the Bain issue to rest (at least in this debate). That wiped out the main line of attack that had been made against Romney.

In general, the candidates did not really attack Romney. At one point, Santorum threw his weight around by challenging Romney--but it was on the issue of allowing felons to vote. Romney, who was taken by surprise at the question, was against allowing felons to vote, while Santorum was in favor. Santorum wanted to know why Romney didn't change the law in Massachusetts to prevent felons from voting. Santorum looked confident, but it was on a completely tangential matter.

Though many candidates got applause, the problem faced by Romney's competitors is that they needed to either destroy Romney or destroy Romney's competition and become the chief Anti-Romney. In this debate, they failed to do either.
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
1Historygenius
Posts: 1,639
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2012 12:37:51 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Currently Mitt Romney has a 79% chance of winning, Gingrich 12%, and Santorum 9% and Paul and Perry 0% according to EW.
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2012 12:39:44 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/17/2012 12:37:51 AM, 1Historygenius wrote:
Currently Mitt Romney has a 79% chance of winning, Gingrich 12%, and Santorum 9% and Paul and Perry 0% according to EW.

Santorum got a huge endorsement, to make him the anti-romney. I hope it happens.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
1Historygenius
Posts: 1,639
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2012 12:41:19 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/17/2012 12:39:44 AM, 16kadams wrote:
At 1/17/2012 12:37:51 AM, 1Historygenius wrote:
Currently Mitt Romney has a 79% chance of winning, Gingrich 12%, and Santorum 9% and Paul and Perry 0% according to EW.

Santorum got a huge endorsement, to make him the anti-romney. I hope it happens.

They will recalculate after the primary.
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2012 12:43:59 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Hey colbert should go to the debates lol. Also I semi-copied your sig
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
1Historygenius
Posts: 1,639
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2012 12:46:22 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/17/2012 12:43:59 AM, 16kadams wrote:
Hey colbert should go to the debates lol. Also I semi-copied your sig

I hope you enjoy your heavy spending senator if he gets elected!
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2012 2:31:13 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
In order:

1. Ron Paul
2. Rick Perry
3. Gingrich
4. Santorum
5. Romney
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2012 6:58:42 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/17/2012 2:31:13 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
In order:

1. Ron Paul
2. Rick Perry
3. Gingrich
4. Santorum
5. Romney

............So, has the great, and mighty Ron Paul, done an wrong? CAN he do any wrong? Why, we should all bow down each day, and worship his excellency!
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2012 9:45:31 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
1. Historygenius, stop copy and pasting articles from ElephantWatcher.

2. Historygenius, fix your sig. Romney did not kill jobs.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
1Historygenius
Posts: 1,639
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2012 9:31:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/17/2012 9:45:31 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
1. Historygenius, stop copy and pasting articles from ElephantWatcher.

2. Historygenius, fix your sig. Romney did not kill jobs.

No. I think he is "I like firing people" and the eating up of corporations like KB Toys enough.
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
thett3
Posts: 14,341
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2012 9:34:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/17/2012 2:31:13 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
In order:

1. Ron Paul
2. Rick Perry

3. Gingrich
4. Santorum
5. Romney

Lol, boy Geo you sure did bid on the wrong horses! Remind me not to seek your endorsement if I ever run of political office XD
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
1Historygenius
Posts: 1,639
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2012 9:39:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
1. Newt Gingrich
2. Rick Perry
3. Rick Santorum
4. Mitt Romney
5. Ron Paul (he got a "boo")

I placed the highlights here.
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...