Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

Wikipedia shutting down for a day as protest!

imabench
Posts: 21,230
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2012 10:05:00 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Wikipedia will be shut down all day wednesday as protest to a new government bill known as SOPA.

Is this just a stunt or should I really be concerned about what SOPA is?

http://www.csmonitor.com...
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Mr.Infidel
Posts: 300
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2012 10:05:39 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Be very concerned. All my blogs will close, as will some of my favorite forums.
Please donate to the following ENDANGERED SPECIES!
Preciousness of life.
Family structure.
Family values. 

Disarm a liberal. Vote for values.

Opinions of this signature are those of G-d's and any of His affiliates.
imabench
Posts: 21,230
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2012 10:16:13 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
could you give me a nutshell of what the SOPA act is and what people are protesting about it?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2012 10:21:33 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
SOPA helps prevent internet theft. It's good.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2012 10:33:00 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/17/2012 10:16:13 AM, imabench wrote:
could you give me a nutshell of what the SOPA act is and what people are protesting about it?

You know how, in Totalitarian governments, they control internet acccess, what sites you can visit and such?

Yeah. It's that.
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2012 10:41:35 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/17/2012 10:33:00 AM, drafterman wrote:
At 1/17/2012 10:16:13 AM, imabench wrote:
could you give me a nutshell of what the SOPA act is and what people are protesting about it?

You know how, in Totalitarian governments, they control internet acccess, what sites you can visit and such?

Yeah. It's that.

lol. Please read about the bill before spouting leftist media propaganda.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2012 10:58:27 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/17/2012 10:41:35 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 1/17/2012 10:33:00 AM, drafterman wrote:
At 1/17/2012 10:16:13 AM, imabench wrote:
could you give me a nutshell of what the SOPA act is and what people are protesting about it?

You know how, in Totalitarian governments, they control internet acccess, what sites you can visit and such?

Yeah. It's that.

lol. Please read about the bill before spouting leftist media propaganda.

If and when I decide to spout leftist media propoganda, I will.

Tit-for-tat. Just because someone doesn't parrot whatever comes out of your mouth, that doesn't mean they are mindless sheep that occupy the opposite end of whatever ideaological spectrum is relevant.
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2012 10:59:00 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/17/2012 10:21:33 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
SOPA helps prevent internet theft. It's good.

A sledgehammer to the face helps prevent people dieing from cancer. It's good.

Fail logic is fail.
Gileandos
Posts: 2,394
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2012 11:16:12 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/17/2012 10:59:00 AM, drafterman wrote:
At 1/17/2012 10:21:33 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
SOPA helps prevent internet theft. It's good.

A sledgehammer to the face helps prevent people dieing from cancer. It's good.

Fail logic is fail.

Absolutely.
Gingrich has mentioned before.
Asking someone if they want to be shot in the head or lose a leg to cure their poverty is a false dilemma fallacy.

This approach to solve crime takes away too many liberties for such a limited problem.

There are alot of better ways.
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2012 11:17:39 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Before this becomes a pissing match between the right and the (imagined) left, know that opposition to SOPA spans the political spectrum.

Here is an exerpt from a website called "RedState" that is openly and deliberately conservative:

"The Act intends to stop online piracy. The way the Act goes about doing this is, in large part, allowing Eric Holder to take control of the internet and shut down websites he does not like. It is a totalitarian response from a bipartisan coalition of Congresscritters most of whom admit they have no freaking idea how the internet even works"

Then there is the Heritage Foundation, a consertative think-tank with a pro-copyright stance:

"The legislation addresses a legitimate problem, but it may have unintended negative consequences for the operation of the Internet and free speech. Congress should carefully consider these factors before moving forward with any legislation."
Thaddeus
Posts: 6,985
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2012 12:30:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
As an ostensibly right wing dudacious and pimpitudinal fellow; SOPA is a pile of hairy balls. It wouldn't just affect America.