Send a Message
1/17/2012 4:15:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
What do you think of it?

Do you think it should pass?

Why or why not?

For info:http://en.wikipedia.org...
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2012 7:00:35 PM
At 1/17/2012 4:15:44 PM, OberHerr wrote:
What do you think of it?

Why or why not?

Blocking the internet puts us in the same boat as Iran and China who monitor their internet in order to control the people.

This act cannot pass.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2012 7:44:18 PM
At 1/17/2012 7:00:35 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
What do you think of it?

Why or why not?

Blocking the internet puts us in the same boat as Iran and China who monitor their internet in order to control the people.

This act cannot pass.

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2012 7:46:49 PM
The government has no business regulating the internet. If companies don't want their digital products stolen, then they better invest in some protection.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
bhatti1020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2012 7:52:29 PM
Anything that hurts my beloved wikipedia, I'm against
-Tourism & Immigration minister for the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
"hey, no Jerry springer here!"
vmpire321
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2012 8:31:10 PM
At 1/17/2012 7:44:18 PM, Ren wrote:
At 1/17/2012 7:00:35 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
What do you think of it?

Why or why not?

This act cannot pass.

InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2012 9:31:30 PM
All I know is that it's against piracy(which can be a good thing depending on point of view). Other than that I don't really know enough about it.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2012 10:35:24 PM
Notice that radical leftists, such as me, have united with ardent conservatives, like OberHerr and ConservativePolitico about this issue.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2012 10:42:39 PM
At 1/17/2012 10:35:24 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
Notice that radical leftists, such as me, have united with ardent conservatives, like OberHerr and ConservativePolitico about this issue.

Well, at least we can all agreed that complete and utter infringement upon our freedoms, is bad.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2012 10:43:40 PM

I noticed and am glad to share common ground, no matter how small, with my fellow intellectuals. There are no two groups that are completely and totally inseperatable.
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 12:01:26 AM
There is absolutely no way that a bill like that should ever be passed. Not that I'm surprised by SOPA or anything, it's basically just building upon the USA PATRIOT Act. Only this time, instead of terrorism, it is said to prevent piracy. C/Ped from the Wiki article on SOPA that is still available, "the section of the bill that would allow judges to order internet service providers to block access to infringing websites to customers located in the United States would also allow the checking of those customers' IP address, a method known as IP blocking. Erickson has expressed concerns that such an order might require those providers to engage in "deep packet inspection," which involves analyzing all of the content being transmitted to and from the user, raising new privacy concerns." http://en.wikipedia.org...

This site (that is sadly not Wikipedia) seems to explain it fairly well -http://www.zdnet.co.uk... Basically, DPI can be used to look at everything sent over the internet. Patriot Act lets the government wiretap whatever they want, SOPA lets them do that to the internet.

They even put in the title of the bill ""To promote prosperity, creativity, entrepreneurship, and innovation by combating the theft of U.S. property, and for other purposes." —H.R. 3261" (again, this is from the Wiki article on SOPA)

I'm sure I went off on multiple tangents there, but I'm tired. I'll write a better post tomorrow if I decide this one is really disorganized.
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 9:35:24 AM

I noticed this too, and not just on DDO. Liberals, libertarians, and many conservatives are uniting on this issue, which is wonderful. Or it would be if SOPA didn't have such a good chance at passing. But perhaps with the most popular websites on the internet speaking out against it something can be done. I mean, I haven't met one person who supports this. Not even some of my most super conservative friends.