Jump to topic:

Gingrich or Romney?

ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2012 10:06:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Let's face it, it's going to come down to these two.

So Republicans and Independents, which one?

Romney seems overall more likable and more electable.

Gingrich has that fire in his gut, he's got a strong personality and a strength of will that we need right now.

Thoughts?
1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2012 11:14:10 PM
At 1/17/2012 10:38:02 PM, mongeese wrote:
Ron Paul.

Was not a choice.
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2012 11:54:45 PM
I don't see how any religious person could vote for Newt. Do you think somebody who has been divorced three times truly cares about living up to Christian ideals or if the country does? With that said, unfortunately for him the majority of republicans are Christians.

If he gets the nom and I was the campaign manager for President Obama; I would smother America with that message.
Today we begin in earnest the work of making sure that the world we leave our children is just a little bit better than the one we inhabit today. - President Obama
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 12:18:07 AM
Gingrich and Romney, the corporate robot battle!

Romney's winning points:
flip-flops on almost every single issue
gets more lobbying money than any other candidate
better at avoiding people
better at lying

Tied on: Being the corporate jizz-jar

Gingrich's winning points:
clearly less ethical
gained more money through quetionable means than Romney
has more experience at destroying America from within
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 12:20:54 AM
At 1/17/2012 11:54:45 PM, tyler90az wrote:
I don't see how any religious person could vote for Newt. Do you think somebody who has been divorced three times truly cares about living up to Christian ideals or if the country does? With that said, unfortunately for him the majority of republicans are Christians.

If he gets the nom and I was the campaign manager for President Obama; I would smother America with that message.

Ah, but your forgetting a big theme of Christianity: Redemption
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 12:21:18 AM
Ron Paul is the only choice for people opposed to the ever encroaching federal government.

Ron Paul stands for personal liberty (except for abortion), strong economics, and a foreign policy of trade not killing people like a 16-year-old criminally insane robo-girl on crank.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 12:24:40 AM
At 1/18/2012 12:21:18 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Ron Paul is the only choice for people opposed to the ever encroaching federal government.

Ron Paul stands for personal liberty (except for abortion), strong economics, and a foreign policy of trade not killing people like a 16-year-old criminally insane robo-girl on crank.

You do realize this only cements the current view this site has on Ron Paul supporters, right?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 12:33:01 AM
This site has diverse views. What is the collective opinion on Ron Paul supporters this site espouses?
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 2:21:23 AM
Gingrich or Romney? Let's see, if I believed in capital punishment I think I'd cast my vote for Gingrich, to be drowned in a cesspool, that is. As for Romney, perhaps I'd make him take a cross-country road trip strapped to the roof of a station wagon, hosing him off whenever he soiled himself, until he croaked from exposure. But then since I don't believe in capital or cruel and unusual punishment I wouldn't vote for either of these politically and morally unsavory gentlemen. (And hey, what's going on with the names of Republican presidential candidates, you guys have a Newt running against a Mitt?!).
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 2:59:47 AM
At 1/18/2012 2:21:23 AM, charleslb wrote:
Gingrich or Romney? Let's see, if I believed in capital punishment I think I'd cast my vote for Gingrich, to be drowned in a cesspool, that is. As for Romney, perhaps I'd make him take a cross-country road trip strapped to the roof of a station wagon, hosing him off whenever he soiled himself, until he croaked from exposure. But then since I don't believe in capital or cruel and unusual punishment I wouldn't vote for either of these politically and morally unsavory gentlemen. (And hey, what's going on with the names of Republican presidential candidates, you guys have a Newt running against a Mitt?!).

I forgot to mention that I'd also drive ole Mitt through some of the towns whose citizens were laid off by him so that they could have the opportunity to righteously stone him (okay, to be humane perhaps I put a helmet on him).
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 3:02:19 AM
At 1/18/2012 2:59:47 AM, charleslb wrote:

I forgot to mention that I'd also drive ole Mitt through some of the towns whose citizens were laid off by him so that they could have the opportunity to righteously stone him (okay, to be humane perhaps I put a helmet on him).

Or would I put a helmet on him merely to prolong his misery? No, that's more the sort of thing that a winger would do.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 4:07:33 AM
"'I think the puppet on the left supports my ideals.' 'I think the puppet on the right supports my ideals.' Hey, wait a minute, there's one person holding out both puppets!"
-- Bill Hicks
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 4:17:12 AM
At 1/18/2012 4:07:33 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
"'I think the puppet on the left supports my ideals.' 'I think the puppet on the right supports my ideals.' Hey, wait a minute, there's one person holding out both puppets!"
-- Bill Hicks

That's exactly why no one wants the choice to come down to the leftist corporate robot vs. the pseudo-right corporate robot.

Ron Paul 2012
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 4:18:36 AM
At 1/18/2012 2:59:47 AM, charleslb wrote:

I'm currently watching the documentary about his Bain Capital job eliminator.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 10:25:20 AM
At 1/18/2012 12:24:40 AM, OberHerr wrote:
At 1/18/2012 12:21:18 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

You do realize this only cements the current view this site has on Ron Paul supporters, right?

I wouldn't say the site has a negative opinion of him. By and large the most intelligent people on this site support Ron Paul (I'm not including myself in that group).
Also, what wallstreetathiest wrote was true. Granted there was some slightly odd and confusing rhetoric about 16 year old robo girl (no-one has ever seen such thing so it makes for an odd metaphor) but if one assumes (quite fairly) that such a girl is a murderous self-absorbed killer then the metaphor becomes rather apt.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 3:24:25 PM
Why does the simple question "Gingrich or Romney?" serve as a prayer call to nutcases? If you guys want to discuss another topic, go start another thread.

I'd be okay with either one, but I prefer Gingrich. I think Gingrich has a better chance of winning. Obama will argue that the nanny state can continue forever by taxing the rich to pay for whatever benefit that anyone wants. Every poll confirms that people always want fiscal responsibility but never want to cut anything or increase their taxes. To win, Republicans need to rally their supporters to make the case for free enterprise, and I think Gingrich has a passion that Romney does not. Romney is quietly competent and steady, but I don't think that's the best matchup against Obama's quiet stead incompetence.

Some, like Ben Stein, say that US default or hyperinflation is now inevitable, so the economy will collapse no matter who is elected. If it's not inevitable, it's clear a second Obama administration would bring it about. So it's time to call up the passion that the subject deserves. If we lose, it's better to have made a fight out of it.

Perry and Gingrich were completely wrong about the Bain Capital thing. Gingrich is capable of learning and has backed off, whereas Perry persists. Gingrich shouldn't have made the mistake in the first place, and he has the fault of thinking out loud, rather than saying nothing until he has it figured. But even that is an advantage to some degree over Obama. Obama wouldn't speak to kindergartners without a teleprompter. Obama's ultra-scripting has worn thin. It's the style of Big Brother.

Romney had trouble explaining why what Bain does is good for the economy. He should have been able to bury critics in short order. That's not a good sign for pressing the case for free markets in the election.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 3:44:38 PM
At 1/17/2012 11:15:03 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Ron Paul or Obama.

WOW, you do know they are polar opposites right?
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 5:09:56 PM
At 1/18/2012 3:24:25 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
Why does the simple question "Gingrich or Romney?" serve as a prayer call to nutcases? If you guys want to discuss another topic, go start another thread.

I'd be okay with either one, but I prefer Gingrich. I think Gingrich has a better chance of winning. Obama will argue that the nanny state can continue forever by taxing the rich to pay for whatever benefit that anyone wants. Every poll confirms that people always want fiscal responsibility but never want to cut anything or increase their taxes. To win, Republicans need to rally their supporters to make the case for free enterprise, and I think Gingrich has a passion that Romney does not. Romney is quietly competent and steady, but I don't think that's the best matchup against Obama's quiet stead incompetence.

Some, like Ben Stein, say that US default or hyperinflation is now inevitable, so the economy will collapse no matter who is elected. If it's not inevitable, it's clear a second Obama administration would bring it about. So it's time to call up the passion that the subject deserves. If we lose, it's better to have made a fight out of it.

Perry and Gingrich were completely wrong about the Bain Capital thing. Gingrich is capable of learning and has backed off, whereas Perry persists. Gingrich shouldn't have made the mistake in the first place, and he has the fault of thinking out loud, rather than saying nothing until he has it figured. But even that is an advantage to some degree over Obama. Obama wouldn't speak to kindergartners without a teleprompter. Obama's ultra-scripting has worn thin. It's the style of Big Brother.

Romney had trouble explaining why what Bain does is good for the economy. He should have been able to bury critics in short order. That's not a good sign for pressing the case for free markets in the election.

What I said is very pertinent to the discussion; it factors into who is more electable. I appreciate your opinion though...
Today we begin in earnest the work of making sure that the world we leave our children is just a little bit better than the one we inhabit today. - President Obama
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 6:07:29 PM
At 1/18/2012 5:09:56 PM, tyler90az wrote:
What I said is very pertinent to the discussion; it factors into who is more electable. I appreciate your opinion though...

Yes, your comments were relevant. It's an issue in the primary, the saying being that Gingrich had "one wife too many." I don't think it would be an issue in the general election. Democrats have no grounds for running as the Party of marital fidelity, not with Bill Clinton still on their stage and JFK's ghost lurking in their halls. At least Gingrich moved from one wife on to the next, and that's generally accepted by the public nowadays.

Reagan was the first candidate to have been divorced, and it was an issue with some Republicans at the time. It wasn't an issue in the general election. The issues were Jimmy Carter's economic and foreign policy failures. I think that's where we are today -- the issues are way too big to bury with trivia.
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 6:22:33 PM
At 1/18/2012 6:07:29 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
At 1/18/2012 5:09:56 PM, tyler90az wrote:

Yes, your comments were relevant. It's an issue in the primary, the saying being that Gingrich had "one wife too many." I don't think it would be an issue in the general election. Democrats have no grounds for running as the Party of marital fidelity, not with Bill Clinton still on their stage and JFK's ghost lurking in their halls. At least Gingrich moved from one wife on to the next, and that's generally accepted by the public nowadays.

Reagan was the first candidate to have been divorced, and it was an issue with some Republicans at the time. It wasn't an issue in the general election. The issues were Jimmy Carter's economic and foreign policy failures. I think that's where we are today -- the issues are way too big to bury with trivia.

Good insight as always!