Jump to topic:

Get the vote out?

HandsOff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2008 8:45:32 AM
Posted: 8 years ago
I can't think of a more ignorant bunch of people than those the democrats and the media are constantly pandering to. Yes, I'm talking about the 18-to-26-year-old demographic who will vote whichever way their favorite music video network, celebrity, or fellow clubbers urge them. "Get them while they're young and dumb" should be the mantra of the Democrats and the liberal media. The relative wisdom (or lack there of) of those who flock to embrace a particular political point of view can say a lot about that point of view.
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2011 10:25:40 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/22/2008 8:45:32 AM, HandsOff wrote:
I can't think of a more ignorant bunch of people than those the democrats and the media are constantly pandering to. Yes, I'm talking about the 18-to-26-year-old demographic who will vote whichever way their favorite music video network, celebrity, or fellow clubbers urge them.

"Fellow clubbers?" LOL... I'm surprised you didn't say "disco'ers."

"Get them while they're young and dumb" should be the mantra of the Democrats and the liberal media. The relative wisdom (or lack there of) of those who flock to embrace a particular political point of view can say a lot about that point of view.

Now that you're back from your vacation, this post can be resurected. Let's get the whole left-vs.-right thing going again for old-times sake :D

Ah yes... if you're 20 and not a liberal you have not heart, and if you're 40 and not conservative you have no brain. Heard that one. I won't argue with you that elders are wiser, or that judging based on wisdom is a bad idea, but can we really say that old people vote conservatively and young people vote liberally? How strong is that statistical correlation?

And what of the fact that older people grew up in different times than younger people? Isn't it logical to assume that one of the benefits of people dying is that their 'old ideas' die with them to be re-examined by a new generation? The amount of understanding that new generations have about the world is much better than the old generation; I was talking to an 18 year old the other day who was telling me about his education in astronomy, for example, and his teachers are able to describe to him how foreign solar systems are formed. When I was in high school they weren't even sure if there were solar systems in the universe other than ours... Now astronomy is a peculiar field in terms of advancement, of course, but if you extend that point over a longer time-span, and introduce concepts like technology, social development, and environmentalism, then you can see that someone 60 years old is going to have a much different perspective than someone 20 years old on how the world works - and this can only be seen as a positive thing!

Anecdotally, I've noticed that younger people who don't vote Democratic tend to be the ones who are flocking and easily manipulated; often by charismatic media personalities, Christianity, or by older conservatives who have spoon-fed them bullsh*t their whole lives and never actually showed them a real debate on any political subject. After all, this site excluded, conservatives are not known for their debating skills, and are often marked by angry and/or closed-minded clinging to conservative principles like military, bible, or capitalism. Those who offer a second-guess to political ideas are likely to find issue with the notion of pollution, war, poverty, etc. You would say these types of people are naive, no doubt, into thinking that addressing these situations actually worsens them, and that the classic conservative response of indirectness is the actual savior (waging war for peace, giving the rich money to help the poor, and down-right saying fvck the environment), but I don't find these arguments very appealing.
kfc