Jump to topic:

Black Invention Myths

Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 1:08:03 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
This is not meant as an attack on people of African heritage, but it is to raise awareness. Truth is rarely popular, but it is liberating.

http://www33.brinkster.com...
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 1:37:14 AM
"This is not meant to be an attack on Black people"... bull. I didn't read this post in disgusted frustration because it presents something negative about popularly known African American achievements, I was so disturbed by how eager you were to not only accept but then trumpet a single source supposing to know better than the hundreds that say otherwise.

Well, guess what, if you bothered to actually search around, you'd realize that source tried to simplify and undermine much of the reality to give itself this caustic contrarian air. For example, the traffic light. No one has claimed Morgan to be the sole inventor of the traffic light. However,
"Many others had obtained US Patents for Traffic Signals, some as early as 1918. But Morgan's Patent was purchased by General Electric Corporation and provided the protection they needed to begin building a monopoly on traffic light manufacture." (http://www.ideafinder.com...)

In addition, no one ever claimed Alexander Miles to invent the elevator, he is credited with improving it so it was safer.

"Alexander Miles improved the method of the opening and closing of elevator doors; and he improved the closing of the opening to the elevator shaft when an elevator was not on that floor. Alexander Miles created an automatic mechanism that closed access to the shaft. At that time elevator patrons or operators were often required to manually shut a door to cutoff access to the elevator shaft. People would forget to close the shaft door and as a result there were accidents with people falling down the elevator shafts." (http://inventors.about.com...)

Just to address two very important pieces of propaganda in your link. Next time do your research before you take the bias, OBVIOUSLY racially charged garbage someone ignorantly amassed to act as though his contrariety must have been the more accurate truth.

Also, if we want to be fair and "not attack Black people" then perhaps it would have been smarter to include individuals like THOMAS ALVA EDISON in that wretched link, a man credited with so many things he never invented.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 3:27:54 AM
At 1/19/2012 1:08:03 AM, Reasoning wrote:
This is not meant as an attack on people of African heritage, but it is to raise awareness. Truth is rarely popular, but it is liberating.

So some article trying to marginalize and strip away the achievements of blacks and imply that blacks are good for nothing is liberating? I fail to see how thats the case.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 4:21:27 AM
At 1/19/2012 3:27:54 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

So some article trying to marginalize and strip away the achievements of blacks and imply that blacks are good for nothing is liberating? I fail to see how thats the case.

It liberates racists from a mild discomfort.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 6:10:17 AM

I hope you realize that even if this is true (it probably is not; I will research some of this on the Wiki), the same could be said for many Caucasian achievements? The Chinese invented the movable type printing press and gunpowder, the Arabs invented guns, steel was invented in ancient India/Sri Lanka, etc.

Why have there been an influx of posts attacking African Americans? These "anarchists" are nothing more than token racists who wish to convert the whole world to Christianity.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 8:44:12 AM
At 1/19/2012 1:37:14 AM, 000ike wrote:
No one has claimed Morgan to be the sole inventor of the traffic light.

This is not true. http://www33.brinkster.com...

"Many others had obtained US Patents for Traffic Signals, some as early as 1918. But Morgan's Patent was purchased by General Electric Corporation and provided the protection they needed to begin building a monopoly on traffic light manufacture." (http://www.ideafinder.com...)

"The oft-repeated story that Morgan sold his patent to General Electric for $40,000 — an enormous sum back then — should be taken with a grain of salt. No record of this transaction appears either in the US patent assignment records at the National Archives, or in the GE historical business records at the Schenectady (New York) Museum, or in Morgan's legal and business papers at the Western Reserve Historical Society in Cleveland. Ads and photos from the 1920s indicate that GE's early traffic signal products were of the type with a row of colored lights, not the semaphore type." http://www33.brinkster.com...

"Alexander Miles improved the method of the opening and closing of elevator doors; and he improved the closing of the opening to the elevator shaft when an elevator was not on that floor. Alexander Miles created an automatic mechanism that closed access to the shaft. At that time elevator patrons or operators were often required to manually shut a door to cutoff access to the elevator shaft. People would forget to close the shaft door and as a result there were accidents with people falling down the elevator shafts." (http://inventors.about.com...)

"A self-closing shaft door was invented by J.W. Meaker in 1874." http://www33.brinkster.com...
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 9:30:33 AM

http://www33.brinkster.com...:

Curiously I don't feel more liberated... but it did clear up some misnomers, as I was under the impression that black Americans did invent the traffic signal, peanut butter, and the layout of Washington D.C.

I wonder, though, about the motivations for the thread. Was it necessary to be inclusive of only blacks versus individuals who falsely were misattributed credit for an invention?
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 12:46:08 PM
If you want to play this game, can I join in?

Did Thomas Edison invent the lightbulb?

NO, in the 1870s Joseph Wilson Swan already had carbon fibre filaments and Woodward and Evans had created a gas filled "globe" to run the light through.

Did Joseph Wilson Swan and Woodward and Evans invent the lightbulb?

NO, in 1840 Warren De la Rue had a vacuum tube enclosure along with Frederick de Moleyns powdered charcoal filament.

Did those two invent the lightbulb?

NO, in 1809, Sir Humphry Davy already had invented a carbon arc lamp with a platinum filament.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 2:38:02 PM
At 1/19/2012 12:46:08 PM, Wnope wrote:
If you want to play this game, can I join in?

Did Thomas Edison invent the lightbulb?

NO, in the 1870s Joseph Wilson Swan already had carbon fibre filaments and Woodward and Evans had created a gas filled "globe" to run the light through.

Did Joseph Wilson Swan and Woodward and Evans invent the lightbulb?

NO, in 1840 Warren De la Rue had a vacuum tube enclosure along with Frederick de Moleyns powdered charcoal filament.

Did those two invent the lightbulb?

NO, in 1809, Sir Humphry Davy already had invented a carbon arc lamp with a platinum filament.

I CBA to google it. Did Sir Humphry Davy invent the lightbulb?
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 3:04:07 PM
Are you simply arguing that black people didn't invent anything or they are useless? I'm confused.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 3:04:27 PM
At 1/19/2012 3:02:43 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
lolwut?

When did Reasoning become racist?

How would you feel if someone of color said this to you.
There goes that pale Caucasianoid girl from Canada. Do you think she eats crackers and cheese. Hey, to him it was just reason. Whatever.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 3:17:03 PM
Never heard any of these, except for the peanut butter. But of course, looking over them, they seem to be attacking, when they should be correcting. More often than not, people who are credited with "inventing" something, do not invent the very first form, but merely the first practical form, or take some form and bring it to a new level.

A common example is the light bulb. It was not invented by Edison, he simply made major break throughs to allow it to become something that could actually be sold to the public, rather than just a niffty device that shines for a little while before burning out.

That appears to be the case with a lot of these. They may not have been the first inventors but were major pinoneers in the history of the product.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 3:18:02 PM
At 1/19/2012 3:04:27 PM, inferno wrote:
lolwut?

There goes that pale Caucasianoid girl from Canada. Do you think she eats crackers and cheese. Hey, to him it was just reason. Whatever.

lolwut?
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 3:18:35 PM
At 1/19/2012 3:18:02 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
lolwut?

lolwut?

Yes. I thought so.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 3:29:35 PM
At 1/19/2012 3:18:35 PM, inferno wrote:
lolwut?

lolwut?

Yes. I thought so.

What?

You're not even making any sense, as usual...
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 3:36:00 PM
At 1/19/2012 3:29:35 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
lolwut?

lolwut?

Yes. I thought so.

What?

I thought you were taking sides with that guy when you said race and reasoning.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 3:38:01 PM
At 1/19/2012 3:36:00 PM, inferno wrote:
At 1/19/2012 3:29:35 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
lolwut?

lolwut?

Yes. I thought so.

What?

I thought you were taking sides with that guy when you said race and reasoning.

Reasoning is his username.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 3:57:20 PM
At 1/19/2012 3:04:07 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Are you simply arguing that black people didn't invent anything or they are useless? I'm confused.

I'm correcting misunderstandings of the world. I was sent a couple of emails making some of these claims on MLK day, so I checked them and found the site I posted. I am now sharing these facts with the members of DDO.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 4:00:35 PM
At 1/19/2012 3:17:03 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
That appears to be the case with a lot of these. They may not have been the first inventors but were major pinoneers in the history of the product.

If you looked through the website you would see that this is not true either.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 4:02:39 PM
lolwut?

Idk, he said he's been taking after JT but not even JT has questioned the gas chambers.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 4:08:12 PM
At 1/19/2012 4:02:39 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
lolwut?

Idk, he said he's been taking after JT but not even JT has questioned the gas chambers.

Seriously? He's into holocaust denial too?
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 4:10:36 PM
At 1/19/2012 4:00:35 PM, Reasoning wrote:

Yeah I know, its a conspiracy to make a useless race seem more productive than they really are...and upon all the sites and literature that state that Morgan sold his patent to GE, this singular source that decides it hasn't seen any evidence for that, MUST be right.

I swear the racists are ALWAYS rightwing, ALWAYS. I have never met or heard of a left wing racist in my life, never. This guy makes me want to puke.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 4:13:31 PM
At 1/19/2012 4:08:12 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
lolwut?

http://www.debate.org...

I usually just ignore these people.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 4:14:47 PM
At 1/19/2012 4:13:31 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 1/19/2012 4:08:12 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
lolwut?

http://www.debate.org...

I usually just ignore these people.

*facepalm*

I'm actually offended, considering I have been to some of the actual holocaust sites.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 4:26:53 PM
Never heard any of these, except for the peanut butter. But of course, looking over them, they seem to be attacking, when they should be correcting. More often than not, people who are credited with "inventing" something, do not invent the very first form, but merely the first practical form, or take some form and bring it to a new level.

A common example is the light bulb. It was not invented by Edison, he simply made major break throughs to allow it to become something that could actually be sold to the public, rather than just a niffty device that shines for a little while before burning out.

This, we don't really give a lot of credit for the modern steam engine to the Greeks, they may have built the first but this doesn't mean they built the first useful one. A similar concept could be applied to Middle Easterners and Batteries.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 4:36:40 PM
At 1/19/2012 4:00:35 PM, Reasoning wrote:

Surprisingly, I did look through the website.

Let's start with the Gasmask (since that one seemed most interesting to me on the list and was the #2 that they listed).

The gas mask (with a decent filter) was invented in 1847, as your site claims. However, what what's his name did, was combine it with a hood, which allowed better breathing and skin protection (since WW1, many chemicals burned the skin as well).

As such, it was greatly improved upon (as I said).

Lets go back to the traffic lights, since that was first on the list. Those were invented years before his, but the big difference was that his had a mechanical feature that allowed it to be opperated from a distance. This allowed a single person to opporate multiple lights and lead the way to computerized systems (which we use today).

Again, a significant addition to the existing product that made a huge difference.

So, since the first two are like this, and I haven't heard of most of these (indicating they might not be very wide spread myths), I didn't both to waste my time going through the others.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 5:05:49 PM
At 1/19/2012 4:36:40 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
The gas mask (with a decent filter) was invented in 1847, as your site claims. However, what what's his name did, was combine it with a hood, which allowed better breathing and skin protection (since WW1, many chemicals burned the skin as well).

As such, it was greatly improved upon (as I said).

Not so. A number of gas masks from the nineteenth century employed hoods: http://www33.brinkster.com...

Further, it was not considered a great improvement at the time, it was not deemed acceptable for use in WWI, instead the government opted for British and French masks, and further it bears little resemblance to the gas masks used today.

As it was not the first, was not a substantial improvement on previous designs, and does not resemble modern masks, it is absurd to credit Garrett Morgan as inventing the gas mask.

Lets go back to the traffic lights, since that was first on the list. Those were invented years before his, but the big difference was that his had a mechanical feature that allowed it to be opperated from a distance.

This allowed a single person to opporate multiple lights and lead the way to computerized systems (which we use today).

"Technologically, the Morgan device was more dead end than prototype: its crank-driven design did not lend itself to the automation and interconnection that was already happening with the fully electrical signals of the same era. It was novel enough to earn a patent, and was admirable and creative, and so forth, but contributed nothing new in terms of functionality and played no part in the chain of development that led to the modern traffic light." http://www33.brinkster.com...
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 5:12:12 PM
At 1/19/2012 4:10:36 PM, 000ike wrote:
Yeah I know, its a conspiracy to make a useless race seem more productive than they really are...

The schools want black children to have someone to look up to that isn't white. That makes perfect sense and there is nothing inherently nefarious with that. But that still doesn't change the fact that they fudge the truth in order to make some of these men seem more important than they really were.